RDX vs. Other SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RDX vs. Other SUVs

Hey, was hoping to get some opinions on the 2014 RDX vs. some other options. I currently have an 05 TL (w/ Nav), and love this car. But wanted to get a mid-sized SUV, probably will make a purchase sometime in the spring of 2014.

At first I was considering other luxury brands, the BMW X3 and Audi Q5. However to get these cars with the same options and features that the RDX has, they are probably $10k-$15k more than the RDX.

Also I was looking at the new Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee). With the V6 option and all the bells and whistles, cost is like $2k less than the RDX.

I realize this is an Acura forum, so there will be some bias to the RDX. I myself have been an Acura fan since I got my TL. But was wondering if anyone has any opinions on other SUVs similar to the RDX.
The following users liked this post:
ostrich (11-25-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
In order to give you some better feedback it would help knowing what you're going to use it for and where you are.

I found myself buying the RDX because it had more rear seat legroom than anything else in the class. I'm a tall dude so there wasn't a ton of stuff out there that would really work as a 5 passanger vehicle if I was involved.

The standard feature list and Acura/Honda reliability sealed the deal.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
To make my long story short, what sold me was the way the RDX handled on twisty roads as well as its smooth and quiet freeway ride. That, and Honda's reputation for quality.

After you've done all of your feature/pricing comparisons and analysis, I suggest driving your last two or three contenders back-to-back. The winner will emerge.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davisinla
To make my long story short, what sold me was the way the RDX handled on twisty roads as well as its smooth and quiet freeway ride. That, and Honda's reputation for quality.

After you've done all of your feature/pricing comparisons and analysis, I suggest driving your last two or three contenders back-to-back. The winner will emerge.

yes 100% true..i did the same..i drove BMWx3, audi q5..cant say acura hasa better ride experience than audi/BMW but not less either...and reliability Honda offers and maintenance cost after MFG warranty, less price with more options made me to choose RDX..im just a week old now so may be some others who bought it like 1 yr may help you much better in regard of problems it they might have ....but if you wanna buy RDX i can say you will never get dissapointed...
Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
We drove many other similar vehicles while looking. We were in a Lexus RX350 and my husband needed a more stable ride due to back issues. And the RDX had a better ability to take bumps and potholes as well as tighter steering ratio. The runner up was the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it was a little too high off the ground and large for our needs.

As stated above, depends on what you need the vehicle for. If just riding in the city and on highways, one child or less and you want to spend a little less than the competition, this is a great vehicle. We've had the 2013 since March 2013 and still like it very much.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Texdriver
If just riding in the city and on highways, one child or less and you want to spend a little less than the competition, this is a great vehicle. We've had the 2013 since March 2013 and still like it very much.
My biggest hesitation about getting an RDX (once I'm in the market for a new car) is that I'm going to have my second child in the spring. For approximately the same price, I can get the next gen Pilot, which has a massive cargo area in comparison... but then it wouldn't fit in my garage.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Purchased our 2013 w/Tech in April.

Cross-shopped X3, Q5, CX5, SantaFe Sport.

X3 and Q5 quickly dropped out because of price. Also rear seat room was tighter than the RDX. CX5 drove AWESOME but it's got a crappy and laggy nav and has pretty high road noise. I would say about the same volume knee wise in the CX5 as the RDX. RDX has more shoulder room up front by quite a bit. SantaFe was cheaper and not too bad, great rear leg room and cargo volume, however build quality was sub-par (try pushing on their fog lights, they feel like they will just pop out) and the steering was horrible (very large on-center dead spot no mater what mode it was on)

In the end wife was ok with the premium over a SantaFe/CX5 to get the RDX w/Tech. Q5 would have been about $5k more (possibly more) with similar features to the RDX. We are happy with it, I'm averaging about 25mpg mixed. On road trips I can hit 28-30mpg.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
For me , it came down to the Lexus RX-350 AWD and the Acura RDX Tech AWD. There was an $8,000 spread in MSRP, but the Lexus had some bells & whistles included in that price. Both cars had almost identical dimensions.

Acura beat it out on price, handling, and acceleration.

Lexus came with roof rails, rear cargo cover (that can be stored in the car), 8 way passenger seat, rear seats can adjust forward & back and recline, a little more soundproofing, illuminated door sills, faster heating seats, softer leather upholstery, rain sensing wipers.

This is my first Acura, and I like the acceleration of this car, but I still may go back to the Lexus. We will see what the Acura is like after four years of use.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by blSwagger
My biggest hesitation about getting an RDX (once I'm in the market for a new car) is that I'm going to have my second child in the spring. For approximately the same price, I can get the next gen Pilot, which has a massive cargo area in comparison... but then it wouldn't fit in my garage.
I've mentioned the problem with the RDX and two kids in previous posts. Having had two kids I found the situation much better with the third row seating as each had their own area to claim and space to leave each other alone, especially on road trips which we took every summer. Maybe you can find a van or three row SUV which can fit in your garage. In my opinion the RDX is not big enuf to comfortably accommodate two kids as they grow (and you need space for the extra kids that often need rides with your own kids).
Old 11-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I am looking to buy next year and checked out the Jeep. I am unimpressed because of the weaker engine combined with gas mileage that is about the same as the RDX. Plus the Jeep is more of a Utility vehicle that is designed to potentially go off road while the Acura is a luxury road SUV. Keep your eye on the MKC from Lincoln. If the gas mileage is the same as the RDX then they will definitely be a hot SUV in the segment.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're looking at leasing and turning it back in, in two to three years, I'd go with the Jeep. But if you are looking to buy, and are planning to put a lot of miles on it, get the Acura. The cost of ownership on the RDX will be much less than the Jeep. You might also take a look at the murano from Nissan. They drive really nice, and get amazing reviews. I don't particularly care for their exterior, but I have several friends who rave about their Murano's.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Instructor

I appreciate the input everyone. I live just outside of New York City, so I have a mix of some highway and some city driving. No kids, just myself and my gf.

Will probably decide after test driving both models back to back.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Don't know about the Cherokee, but I found the seats in the Grand Cherokee to be WAY too hard for my old tush, especially the bottom side bolsters (the seat's, not my tush's ). It was an instant deal-breaker.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/considering-new-rdx-need-owner-opinions-898449/
Old 11-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
The 2014 Ford Escape Titanium with the 2.0 Turbo should at least be given some consideration. Yes, I am a huge Acura fan, but got my 2014 Escape (Company Vehicle) and so far I am pretty impressed. Not as classy or as comfortable, but pretty close.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Advanced

I agree that the Escape Platinum is a nice vehicle, but for my...uhmm..."large" size it was just too tight. Even if I was "correctly proportioned," the center stack would really encroach on right knee room. If that's not an issue for you or Masta, good for you!

However, you can't discount the negative impact of Ford's Infotainment system which is universally panned. People on here complain about the RDX NAV. I'm going to guess that the Ford Infotainment system would garner even more displeasure.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I test drove RDX, Q5 and RX350. If I went just by driving experience, the Q5 was easily the best of the lot. Audi has come a long way in reliability. The RX350 was slow with poor acceleration. Q5 was about 6k more for the base model. I wanted to save some money and chose RDX. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BobBass
I agree that the Escape Platinum is a nice vehicle, but for my...uhmm..."large" size it was just too tight. Even if I was "correctly proportioned," the center stack would really encroach on right knee room. If that's not an issue for you or Masta, good for you!

However, you can't discount the negative impact of Ford's Infotainment system which is universally panned. People on here complain about the RDX NAV. I'm going to guess that the Ford Infotainment system would garner even more displeasure.
I actually find the Ford infotainment system much easier to use than the one in our MDX. No issues or problems at all, maybe the update ford released a few months ago solved many issues? Mine already had the latest software from the factory as it was built 10/8/13.

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 11-24-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Advanced

That's good to read. Maybe they finally got it straightened out.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

I just went through this same process and chose a used 2013 RDX. Also primarily in the running were the accord crosstour, ZDX, infiniti FX35 and the RX350. As I drive cars for 200K, reliability is of utmost importance to me and I wanted to spend under 35K. This eliminated the BMWs and the Audis very quickly due to reliability and price. I agonized over the FX35 for a very long time because I prefer the handling and appearance over the RDX. However, the latest reliability reports are out on consumerreports and they really don't look good for the FX35. The forums are also full of nightmare stories. The crosstour was way too much of a boat and the ZDX looks awesome in my opinion but the advantages stop there. The RX350 is ok but I didn't like the pickup. I was pretty bummed until I test drove a 2013 RDX yesterday. Can't say how happy I am to have found a mid-size SUV with some balls that allows me to stay in the Honda universe (my '02 accord has finally died.)
Old 11-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was in the market for a new SUV last fall and I looked at a few vehicles including the RDX/Tech, BMW X3 and Mercedes Benz GLK 350. I was looking to lease a vehicle and not purchase one. After looking at all three vehicles, I chose the GLK 350. Below is why:

RDX - The RDX offered a good blend of standard features at a reasonable price. It had by far the most rear seat room among the three vehicles. However, the RDX was the first vehicle I eliminated from consideration. Although it cost less than the BMW and Mercedes, I found the RDX to be lacking many features found in most modern luxury SUVs like LED daytime running lights, blind spot information system, lane departure warning, advanced telematics etc.. I also felt the 18" wheels on the RDX looked too small for the vehicle. The RDX also lacked a sporty personality/character. I also found it strange that the RDX didn't have vents for rear passengers which is commonplace for this class of vehicle.The styling was also not distinctive and looked like every other 'cute ute' out there .

X3 - The BMW X3 was by far the best in terms of handling. The X3 28I exhibited an impressive amount of power for a 4 cylinder. However, the X3 was the most expensive if comparing a loaded 6 cylinder model to the Mercedes. The X3 also had a very unrefined engine start/stop system (this has been a common complaint with the newer BMWs equipped with this system). I also found the X3's exterior styling a little bland. The interior cabin was not as upmarket when compared to the Mercedes or Acura.

GLK 350 - The GLK had the smallest rear seat room and cargo area of the bunch. However, the interior volume was not an issue for me as I rarely have passengers in the back seat. The Mercedes by far had the most amount of technology (standard and options). It was also the only one of the three vehicles that offered 20" wheels. I also liked the revised front cabin design for 2013 which looks more upscale than previous years. The Mercedes was the only one which offered LED taillights which looks stunning at night! It also had the most powerful engine and the best balance between sporty handling and refinement. The engine start/stop system for ECO driving was more refined than the BMW. Finally, the styling was the most distinctive.

Last edited by GrigioTL; 11-25-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Did you get the Blu-tech?

I priced the gas one on the MB website built similar to the RDX 4wd tech and the MB was around 7+K more, get worse MPGs and while styling can be subjective, I think the interior and exterior of the RDX is much better. And we have not even begun to to about maintanence and reliability.

Good luck with your MB
Old 11-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
Did you get the Blu-tech?

I priced the gas one on the MB website built similar to the RDX 4wd tech and the MB was around 7+K more, get worse MPGs and while styling can be subjective, I think the interior and exterior of the RDX is much better. And we have not even begun to to about maintanence and reliability.

Good luck with your MB
No - I got the GLK 350 gasoline version. The BluTec wasn't available until this past spring.

I agree styling is subjective. I was looking for a vehicle with more masculine lines. I didn't want an SUV with the same curvy designs found on many crossovers like the RX 350 or Nissan Rogue.

I average between 22 to 23 mpg in the city and about 24 to 26 mpg on the highway.

As for maintenance, I purchased pre-paid maintenance which is included in my lease payment for just $8 more a month and covered for the entire lease term. I have had the car for over a year now and I am very happy with the entire ownership experience.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I just wanted to thank you guys for contributing to this thread - it is really helpful indeed! Masta120, thanks for starting it! :-)
Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrigioTL
No - I got the GLK 350 gasoline version. The BluTec wasn't available until this past spring.

I average between 22 to 23 mpg in the city and about 24 to 26 mpg on the highway.

As for maintenance, I purchased pre-paid maintenance which is included in my lease payment for just $8 more a month and covered for the entire lease term. I have had the car for over a year now and I am very happy with the entire ownership experience.
The GLK350 is a good choice for those who like the performance and handling end of the spectrum and prefer the more square look. My friend's wife bought her GLK about the same time my wife got the RDX. Both are happy with their choices. OTD pricing was not that far off from each other and both are nice vehicles.

I know the German cars carry the "larger cash out of pocket down the line" stigma, but lets be honest, generally any new car nowadays will be pretty much fine during warranty periods and most are fine during the first 5-6 years. There are horror stories with any brand and make even Acura.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I got real close to picking up a GLK as well, although I was looking at CPO 2011 and 2012 models. At that point it became hard to find one with the options I wanted, and with what I wanted it would have been about $5k more as they hold their value pretty well.
I might have been able to stomach that, but I still don't completely trust Mercedes reliability. To add extra warranty time, that would have cost another $2k and that pushed it over the edge.
I will admit though, I still want a GLK. The options and build quality are a step above the RDX, and I think it looks pretty sharp as well. If I knew I wasn't planning on racking up over 100k miles in the next three years or so I probably would have went for it. But having just spent a few years in a German monetary time bomb, I was fully willing to trade a little luxury and looks so that I wouldn't have to spend my rides waiting for turbo wastegates to lock open, wondering if that slight shimmy is bad suspension bushings or warped rotors, and on and on...
Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
After a year and a half I honestly believe my largest "gripe" with Acura on the RDX is the look is incredibly generic. That and roof rails aren't included from the factory. Everything has run smoothly, the engine continues to impress me, the miles per gallon are right where I expected (almost exactly 23 overall with the AWD) and it's an incredibly comfortable ride.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
After a year and a half I honestly believe my largest "gripe" with Acura on the RDX is the look is incredibly generic. That and roof rails aren't included from the factory.
LOL - Just goes to show you...

I really like the styling of the RDX. I'm not too crazy about the front, but I think the rest of it looks pretty sharp, better than anything else in its price range. And I love the fact that it doesn't have standard roof rails. In 200,000 miles, I never once needed to use them on my Highlander, but they were such a hassle during car washes.
The following 2 users liked this post by davisinla:
Gen4MDX (11-26-2013), Murrow (12-08-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davisinla
LOL - Just goes to show you...

I really like the styling of the RDX. I'm not too crazy about the front, but I think the rest of it looks pretty sharp, better than anything else in its price range. And I love the fact that it doesn't have standard roof rails. In 200,000 miles, I never once needed to use them on my Highlander, but they were such a hassle during car washes.
Agreed, my brother wants to buy my OEM silver rails and cross bars for his 2012 as I wish I would not have got them when I bought my MDX and will not make that mistake again.

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 11-26-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
After a year and a half I honestly believe my largest "gripe" with Acura on the RDX is the look is incredibly generic. That and roof rails aren't included from the factory. Everything has run smoothly, the engine continues to impress me, the miles per gallon are right where I expected (almost exactly 23 overall with the AWD) and it's an incredibly comfortable ride.
This is my greatest gripe also but on its own it still looks fine. From all other aspects, its a perfect choice of automobile. I also live in the city and drive my cars for 200k so I know it will get bashed up so looks will inevitably fade even if I got something cooler. Better stick with reliability, comfort, utility, etc. and buy yourself something very cool as a second vehicle someday.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:04 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Masta120
I appreciate the input everyone. I live just outside of New York City, so I have a mix of some highway and some city driving. No kids, just myself and my gf.

Will probably decide after test driving both models back to back.
So you might want the extra "off-road" ability after all if you drive into NYC...
Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 AM
8th Gear

Three months ago my wife and I made an excel spreadsheet listing all small suv's and their specs. To be honest, when we started it, I didn't even know what an RDX was because I never thought of buying an Acura. After weeks of looking online and reading articles on each one, we were down to 3 vehicles that we liked. The Q5, Mazda CX-5, and the GLK. After driving by these dealers to sit in them, we left most of them impressed, but felt each was missing something. I just randomly drove up to the Acura dealer and told my wife lets check out the RDX for the hell of it. We left the dealer most impressed.

For my wife, the RDX is a perfect blend. For me, it is missing some things that I would like to see (rear vents, exhaust tips, and black interior for the white) but overall I do really like the RDX and very happy with our choice.
RDXinNETX (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Cruisin'

Anybody's looked into 2014 Rogue? Fully loaded SL looks great.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I would consider it but it wasn't out at the time I purchased mine. I didn't particularly care for the CVT thou. Also at 170hp and 3400lbs is just ok. Not a bad car and would definitely have made my short list.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:30 AM
10th Gear

I'm still shopping and comparing but from the perspective of pure value it is very hard to argue against the RDX.

To get a comparably equipped luxury brand such as a MB, Volvo, BMW or Audi you face a price tag at least $10,000 higher.

Going in the other direction once you start adding comparable options to a Subaru, Hyundai, VW or GMC, etc. the price quickly approaches that of an RDX.

IMO, the only comparable vehicle is the Infiniti QX50 but it is butt ugly, cramped in the back and has unimpressive gas mileage ratings.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I'm still shopping and comparing but from the perspective of pure value it is very hard to argue against the RDX.

To get a comparably equipped luxury brand such as a MB, Volvo, BMW or Audi you face a price tag at least $10,000 higher.

Going in the other direction once you start adding comparable options to a Subaru, Hyundai, VW or GMC, etc. the price quickly approaches that of an RDX.

IMO, the only comparable vehicle is the Infiniti QX50 but it is butt ugly, cramped in the back and has unimpressive gas mileage ratings.
If you are able to wait you should check out the Lincoln MKC in the spring / summer. It seems to be very comparable to the RDX in engine, features, and price.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Advanced

SM05,

Remember the '14 Rogue is a re-design. I'd hold off until 2015 at the earliest to allow Nissan to work the bugs out. Just my worthless opinion.
SM05 (12-07-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BobBass
Remember the '14 Rogue is a re-design. I'd hold off until 2015 at the earliest to allow Nissan to work the bugs out. Just my worthless opinion.
Thanks for your comment Bob. I was thinking about the same thing but dismissed it originally. I test drove SV model on Saturday as dealer was out of SL (top of the line configuration). Went to another dealer that same day to checkout SL's interior and liked it a lot. Tech and safety features seem to be great.

What appeals to me is slightly smaller Rogue's size (1"+ on each dimension) vs RDX and SL's all-around camera tech. I live in the city and to get to my parking spot behind the house, which is walled on 3 sides, I have to make a tight 90 degree turn from the narrow alley. I test drove RDX back to the house to see how I can fit it in there. Tried 3 times and while it had made in, I was barely clearing the wall and nervous at the same time. If RDX had a similar tech, being part of "tech package" as oppose to what Acura called tech now, it would've helped me greatly.

So, I keep going back and force between 3 choices at the moment: RDX (wish it was smaller just a bit like last gen + extra cameras tech), new Nissan Rogue SL (great package but reliability in general is a concern, and add first year redesigned model to that), and Subaru CrossTrek Hybrid (better reliability than Nissan but not as good as Acura's, 1st year hybrid model; no spare tire ).

I'm about to part with my Lexus so I figure anything short of Acura is gonna be a downhill quality / reliability for me. My 10 year old Lexus's been the most trouble-free and dependable car I've ever had.

Anyways, I'm going crazy over-analyzing it here. Hehe.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:15 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SM05
So, I keep going back and force between 3 choices at the moment: RDX (wish it was smaller just a bit like last gen + extra cameras tech), new Nissan Rogue SL (great package but reliability in general is a concern, and add first year redesigned model to that), and Subaru CrossTrek Hybrid (better reliability than Nissan but not as good as Acura's, 1st year hybrid model; no spare tire ).
Have you considered the Forester? It's footprint is smaller than the RDX although bigger than the CrossTrek.

I've kicked the tires on a 14 Rogue and it's okay but not overwhelmingly great. A crafty Nissan salesman urged me to test drive a Murano. Right now I'm between it and an RDX and plan an extended RDX test drive later in the week. Could go either way.

Last edited by Badenoch; 12-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Cruisin'

Have you considered the Forester? It's footprint is smaller than the RDX although bigger than the CrossTrek.
I have and we test drove one. Wife totally hates the look of it btw. She gave in eventually saying since I do most of the driving anyways she'd be fine with my choice, as long as it's comfy inside. That was before she sat in one. She's 5'2" and non-height-adjustable passenger seat is set way too high for her. RDX is a lot more comfortable from that stand point. She hasn't had a chance to test Rogue's seat just yet.

A crafty Nissan salesman urged me to test drive a Murano.
I like Murano as well but it's ted too big for my needs. I basically draw a line at these dimensions: 182" (180 preferred) length / 72" width. Yeah, crazy setup like that I have. My current Lexus is 178" / 68".

Quick Reply: RDX vs. Other SUVs