RDX vs GLA

Old 04-24-2015, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Of the 3 choices, I would go with the Lexus...the look has really grown on me and now that I've seen them on the road, I think they are gorgeous.

Mind you, the cars you've listed are somewhat different pricepoints. I'm not sure which GLA you're getting...but, if it's not the AMG, the regular version is still gorgeous and for the price, it's pretty darn nice IMO.

So, the Mercedes would be my second choice.
Ya I'm looking at the GLA south seas blue with the premium, nav, and sports packages. I haven't found a dealership with the exact options I want but the closest is around $42.5k. The Ultrasonic Blue NX F Sport I found at a local dealer site is around $44-46k. For the 2016 Acura id be ok with the FWD with the Technology packages which is around $39k.

I just need see and test drive them to get that feeling which one I want and then how much the wallet can take. But right now the eyes like the NX but the MB badge with a pano roof seems more prestigious to keep it close.

Last edited by TRU_BLU; 04-24-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,631 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Originally Posted by TRU_BLU
Ya I'm looking at the GLA south seas blue with the premium, nav, and sports packages. I haven't found a dealership with the exact options I want but the closest is around $42.5k. The Ultrasonic Blue NX F Sport I found at a local dealer site is around $44-46k. For the 2016 Acura id be ok with the FWD with the Technology packages which is around $39k.

I just need see and test drive them to get that feeling which one I want and then how much the wallet can take. But right now the eyes like the NX but the MB badge with a pano roof seems more prestigious to keep it close.
Most important is which of the cars you're considering you enjoy the most. Ultimately, it's what makes you happy.

I would also suggest you to take a look at the Range Rover Evoque since it's around $40K too.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Pano roof...pano roof...you guys with the pano roof fetish
Had a pano roof in the XC60, standard roof in the RDX...Central Texas ain't the best place for a huge hole in the top of your vehicle. Maybe y'all don't get as much sun in Carrollton?
Old 04-25-2015, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
I have a pano roof fetish too

Wife's Mini Cooper had it and our next car will surely have it

One of my best cars was my t top 1993 mr2 turbo essentially a pano roof
Old 04-25-2015, 05:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
I have a pano roof fetish too

Wife's Mini Cooper had it and our next car will surely have it

One of my best cars was my t top 1993 mr2 turbo essentially a pano roof
I guess having a convertible in the other garage bay almost since '91 takes care of my desire to have a giant hole in the roof of my CUV. I think the current RDX moon roof is just fine.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:23 PM
Safety Car

I have convertibles in the garage (s2000 and Elise )
I have their hard top on all the time

Hate top down

Pano roof like the new 911 glass roof allows outside viewing with no wind in your hair nastiness of a convertible
Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Pro

I have convertibles in the garage (s2000 and Elise )
I have their hard top on all the time

Hate top down

Pano roof like the new 911 glass roof allows outside viewing with no wind in your hair nastiness of a convertible
Viewing? Of what? If it's daytime here in central Texas, your face is likely to get cooked. I can't see the back-end of our RDX roof while driving and can't tell you the last time someone in the back seat said they couldn't see 'enough'. Volvo even had a 'stop' before the roof opened all the way...apparently because many people preferred that the roof not be fully open.

Pano roof...schmano roof.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (04-27-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Pano roof! I'm one of those who hates them, I wonder how it would fare in a hailstorm, hell I don't even care about sunroofs, useless hole in a useless place.. I'm glad the RDX only has a regular sunroof.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Las Vegas:
Comfy (04-27-2015), Rocket_man (05-17-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 01:23 AM
Safety Car

I don't live in central Texas so that is useless to me

I was talking about pano roof love in my daily need

Your needs could be diff

That's what makes the world a great places. The differences
Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

That's what makes the world a great places. The differences
Sure, that's why wars have been around since men had differences in opinion and don't get me started on religion.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
There are many, many people that could care less about even a small sunroof(myself included). So when someone says a major detriment of the RDX is that it doesn't have a panoroof I just laugh. If you want one fine and if it's that important look elsewhere but no car has everything and there are always compromises. I happen to like a smooth V6 but I don't put the Tucson down because it doesn't have one....I just wouldn't buy it among other reasons.
Comfy (04-27-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
As someone who is actively looking for a nice new well-equipped premium compact SUV, I'm surprised and concerned that the "premium level" Acura RDX has issues and weaknesses (ref the Buyer's Remorse thread in this forum) with the VCM system, the vehicle's snow handling capabilities (reference to AWD models) and a suspension that reacts harshly to bumps in the road and 'makes sounds like a lumber truck' during the colder months of the year. While I look forward to test driving the new '16 RDX sometime in the next few weeks, I have some concern now that Acuras may just be overpriced Hondas, and that Acura as a brand is behind the curve in several areas. In many ways it appears Honda/Acura are more corporate and regimented in their ways than the "Big 3" have always been known to be. Very surprising to me.
As regards the M-B GLA.. it's a ridiculous "SUV" for the unfortunate naive buyer who doesn't know any better.
2012wagon (04-26-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 07:27 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Here is Houston any type of sunroof is just plan useless. The weather is scorching hot and very humid most of the year. But when I used to live in San Diego, I could see a use for it. So I guess it's by region.
When you sell over 44,000 RDX's the past 2 years you will get some people who complain about the the car. For most of them this is their first premium car so their expectations are sky high.
Many people associate "status" with how expensive it is and how much attention it draws. For those that are overly concerned about "status", go buy something else. There are plenty of just average premium overpriced CUV's to chose from.
If you want a very good premium compact CUV at an attractive price then yes do consider the RDX. It wasn't Acura's 2nd best selling vehicle by being an overpriced below average product.
The following 2 users liked this post by CybrRdr:
Comfy (04-27-2015), giovane (04-28-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Advanced

44,000 RDX's sold per year for the past 2 years is indeed a respectable number, but I believe many of these buyers were essentially looking for a V6-powered Honda CRV equipped with a conventional 6-speed auto transmission (i.e. not equipped with a CVT transmission as what goes into the CRV). The extra year of basic warranty coverage (Acura vs Honda) might have helped influence the buying decision as well.
In 2014 American Honda Motor Co. sold 335,019 CRV's vs. 44,865 RDX's. And to further keep things in perspective, there were a total of 36 other models of SUV that outsold the RDX in 2014.

>Link to 2014 SUV sales stats: 2014 Year End U.S. SUV And Crossover Sales Rankings - Top 92 Best-Selling SUVs In America - Every SUV Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Last edited by rbreeze; 04-27-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM
CBP TLX

Obviously a more affordable mainstream brand is gonna out sell any premium brand.

The big question is how many Premium Compact CUV's out sold the RDX? Looking at the link you provided doesn't look like much did at all. Only the SRX topped it in it's segment.

2014 Premium Compact Sales Figures

Cadillac SRX sold 53,578 units
Acura RDX sold 44,865 units
Audi Q5 sold 42,420 units
MB GLK sold 35,00 units
BMW X3 sold 33,824 units
Old 04-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced

The "premium compact CUV" segment you make mention of is more correctly labeled as "Small Luxury SUV" by GoodCarBadCar.net and other sites. (As an aside the Cadillac SRX actually belongs in the "Midsize Luxury SUV" category, not the "Small Luxury SUV" segment).
Anyway... when faced with criticisms about the lack of features and content on the RDX (particularly the pre-2016 m-y RDX's), many Acura loyalists here like to point out that the RDX is not really a "luxury" SUV, but rather a "premium" SUV - and because of this special distinction the "premium" RDX is priced lower than other same-segment "luxury" SUVs.. and that buyers shouldn't expect the same level of features/equipment as what is found on those other same-segment "luxury" SUVs. All this to me sounds like a lot of horse-hockey, in that Acura is playing a bit of a game whereby they're equipping and positioning the RDX to be half-way between an affordable mainstream brand vehicle (i.e. which is what Honda is) and a luxury brand vehicle (which is what Acura really isn't) - and yet the RDX shows up in the "Small Luxury SUV" sales stats. Interesting. Actually it's quite devious. What the RDX really is.. is a premium V6-powered more expensive CRV, with arguably better styling than the CRV... and it's positioned (by historical default or some special intent) to do combat in the more grandiose luxury segment. No wonder the RDX leads sales in the "Small Luxury SUV" segment - it's a premium V6-powered CRV! You just have to look at the sales figures for the CRV to know that a premium V6-powered CRV equipped with a more conventional transmission will also sell very well.
With the pricing the way it is... on a per-vehicle basis I bet Honda make a ton more money selling an RDX (premium CRV) as compared to what they make selling a regular/mainstream CRV.

Last edited by rbreeze; 04-27-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Pro

For the HUGE number of us who drive FWD RDXs, it's not an "SUV" at all. "CUV" is a more appropriate descriptive title, IMO. It's hard to get behind the complaints of 'no SH-AWD' or 'no heated steering wheel' when SOOOOO many of us simply don't care about such.

And this fetish for 'jewel eye' this and LED that...I have seen some seriously dopey looking vehicles recently...proudly displaying their new 'video game' lighting(some VERY expensive) and I gotta tell you, it makes the vehicle look ANYthing but 'premium' or 'luxury'...about the same as 22" chrome wheels with about 1 inch of tire sidewall.

Different strokes, as they say. Chocolate and vanilla. Can't believe how worked up people get because the RDX is related to the CR-V. Dang.
mtc46jw (04-30-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 04:24 PM
CBP TLX

@ rbreeze
Wow....that was some rant. Lol! Relax...many so serious?
Maybe the SRX is a midsize I just always thought it was a compact because its shares the same GM Theta platform as the Equinox and Terrain. If so that means the RDX is the sales leader in its segment. And when I said "premium" I meant luxury. Honestly based on your posts it doesn't really sound like an Acura is in your future. If you do get one I hope you enjoy it and know what is like to be an Acura enthusiast. Many of us actually love and enjoy owning our Acuras. If not, there are plenty of other CUV's out there. Personally we have shopped and test drove many SUV's and CUV's. The 2016 RDX Advance looks to be a winner for us.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 04-27-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Advanced

@ CybrRdr
A rant? Hardly. It's a discussion in a forum and I was discussing. And I'm always relaxed.
Yes, the SRX is in fact a midsize SUV/CUV - it's 190.3 inches long. Small/compact SUV's are generally defined as being between 175-185 inches in overall length.
It would appear you didn't really get my point. Yes, the RDX is the sales leader "in its segment", however in my opinion the RDX, for the most part, doesn't really belong in the luxury segment. It belongs more in the mainstream small SUV segment. When it comes down to it Acura is to Honda as Buick is to GM.
I may or may not buy an Acura - I don't know as yet, still deciding. But don't lose any sleep over that fact! Believe it or not I am in fact interested in the '16 RDX Advance, but I'm becoming somewhat less so after reading through more of the threads here. Anyway, I'll be taking a 2016 RDX for a test drive when the first ones begin arriving in this area in a few weeks time.
Based on some of your posts and that of several others here.. you guys (the overt fanboys) really need to lay off that Honda/Acura goon juice!

Last edited by rbreeze; 04-27-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Your tastes exactly like mine

I see lots of bmw 2 and 3 series with bright blue exterior and blood red interior looks gorgeous

Red interiors aren't for white block silver and grey cars anymore

Congrats in advance Nx is awesome

I went to a local Lexus dealer and they said they have a blue with red interior coming in the end of May!! ARG for waiting!! but can't believe they found some in that color combo!

Last edited by TRU_BLU; 04-27-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Safety Car

^^
Yup every 2 series , 3 series around here is Blue/red interior. So all luxury makers are following suit

Good luck. Amazing color if you get it
Old 04-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Obviously a more affordable mainstream brand is gonna out sell any premium brand.

The big question is how many Premium Compact CUV's out sold the RDX? Looking at the link you provided doesn't look like much did at all. Only the SRX topped it in it's segment.

2014 Premium Compact Sales Figures

Cadillac SRX sold 53,578 units
Acura RDX sold 44,865 units
Audi Q5 sold 42,420 units
MB GLK sold 35,00 units
BMW X3 sold 33,824 units

Here are the numbers from this March. They align with the order of your list above but this includes the Lexus NX. The Lexus NX and MB GLK have a medium high reliability rating followed by the others with average ratings (consumer reports). All premium vehicles in this class have their pro's and con's, whether it be safety ratings, emergency handling, fuel economy, giant beaks (NX), cargo space, cost for add-on options, cost for maintenance, etc.

CybrRdr (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 12:34 AM
Intermediate

MKC thoughts?

I'm going to throw 1 more model into the mixture as this was recommended by a family member. What is everyone's thought on the Lincoln MKC? based on my quick glance it reminds me of the RDX. Cheaper in price with decent amount of features as well as space. I just don't hear or see much about Lincoln compared to the other luxury brands.

I appreciate anyone's knowledgeable opinion and feedback on this CUV as well.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 AM
CBP TLX

I went to a local Lexus dealer and they said they have a blue with red interior coming in the end of May!! ARG for waiting!! but can't believe they found some in that color combo!
The Houston dealer here has a blue NX F sport. It's a nice color.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
The NX may not sell more vehicles in the NA market then the RDX because there is limited supply. Lexus is only making a certain number of NX's and there is huge demand in Europe and Asia for it which depletes inventories in NA. The RX coming this summer will be in big supply in NA showrooms.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I'm going to throw 1 more model into the mixture as this was recommended by a family member. What is everyone's thought on the Lincoln MKC? based on my quick glance it reminds me of the RDX. Cheaper in price with decent amount of features as well as space. I just don't hear or see much about Lincoln compared to the other luxury brands.

I appreciate anyone's knowledgeable opinion and feedback on this CUV as well.
From what I've read about, the MKC is good value for money except if you consider the depreciation (in case you are buying, shouldn't be much of a problem if you get good deal for lease). In addition it is a bit restricted in rear seat and cargo space when compared to RDX. Aesthetically, the MKC looks good too in my opinion.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by rbreeze
@ CybrRdr
A rant? Hardly. It's a discussion in a forum and I was discussing. And I'm always relaxed.
Yes, the SRX is in fact a midsize SUV/CUV - it's 190.3 inches long. Small/compact SUV's are generally defined as being between 175-185 inches in overall length.
It would appear you didn't really get my point. Yes, the RDX is the sales leader "in its segment", however in my opinion the RDX, for the most part, doesn't really belong in the luxury segment. It belongs more in the mainstream small SUV segment. When it comes down to it Acura is to Honda as Buick is to GM.
I may or may not buy an Acura - I don't know as yet, still deciding. But don't lose any sleep over that fact! Believe it or not I am in fact interested in the '16 RDX Advance, but I'm becoming somewhat less so after reading through more of the threads here. Anyway, I'll be taking a 2016 RDX for a test drive when the first ones begin arriving in this area in a few weeks time.
Based on some of your posts and that of several others here.. you guys (the overt fanboys) really need to lay off that Honda/Acura goon juice!
Guys, please keep it civil and cool.
I was in your exact situation a year ago and test drove all the usual suspects mentioned above (except those which were not available). What I've found is that the top three in your list keep changing depending upon what stage of buying you are, how your spouse feels about them, how did you like the test drive, how the interior feels, the dealership experience and so on. The RDX was way low in my initial list but somehow managed to beat all of them eventually. So there is no single answer to what car is best for you. It depends on your needs and wants. The sales numbers of a particular model is not a good indicator of how well a particular models fits you. Also whether Acura belong to the luxury group or not .... only you can answer for yourself. I wouldn't take an answer from anyone or even from a motor publication journalist for that matter. You can consider your car the most value, luxurious or premium. It doesn't matter. What matters is how you feel driving that car and paying that much hard earned money. Good luck with your test drives.
The following 2 users liked this post by Comfy:
CybrRdr (04-28-2015), kfhughes (04-28-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
We toured the Mercedes factory in Rastatt, Germany last summer as a side trip on a river cruise. GLAs were being assembled that day. (CLAs on other days.) Very impressive to see German precision in the assembly process, and even more impressive was the manufacturing engineering that went into it. We noticed a high percentage of women on the line, some not very big, so very little awkwardness to deal with. From the tour mezzanine, a highlight for the men in the crowd was the hot run inside the plant by a GLA AMG, a quick spin-around and blasting back the other way - presumably a troubleshooting run.

That said, the ergonomics were off for me and I believe the seats-up cargo room was 11.8 cu. ft.? That was smaller than my old TSX! Therefore a non-starter. The RDX rules!
Old 04-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

^^^

Then why can't they engineer reliability into them ?
Or are the women employees to blame ?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I saw a GLA on the road today, and it does not look anything like the RDX as it is short/squat, and to me looks terrible.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

So I emailed a Lincoln dealer the exact specs, colors packages, options, ect. I wanted for a MKC. He was able to find one and took $4100 right off the sticker price. So very tempting....

Think I will swing by for a test drive and go next door to test drive the NX end of this week..... I can't consider the RDX yet since won't be around here for another 3-4 more weeks

Last edited by TRU_BLU; 04-29-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Safety Car

There is a reason Lincoln taking price off and Lexus can't keep Nx in stock

Good luck
Old 04-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

There is a reason Lincoln taking price off and Lexus can't keep Nx in stock

Good luck

I've got a strong feeling if I see a NX with Ultrasonic Blue and red interior I'll make up my mind real quick LOL there just isn't any around here with that combo until end of May.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:02 PM
Safety Car

I will bet you will

It's a better car
a better color combo
Better resale
Better quality

Do it
Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

RDX v NX v MKC

I will bet you will

It's a better car
a better color combo
Better resale
Better quality

Do it
What sites tell about model resale value down the years? kbb doesn't have a 5 year cost value model of these cars yet. If I see there is a significant difference between Lexus, Acura, and Lincoln I'll feel more confident in making that decision. I do know is I see a crap load of Lexus on the road....

Last edited by TRU_BLU; 04-29-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

Owned 5 Acura
7 Lexus

Speaking from experience over the years

Legend, nsx withstanding , Lexus has better build quality better tech
Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 AM
CBP TLX

What sites tell about model resale value down the years? kbb doesn't have a 5 year cost value model of these cars yet. If I see there is a significant difference between Lexus, Acura, and Lincoln I'll feel more confident in making that decision. I do know is I see a crap load of Lexus on the road....
You really can't go wrong with any of the models you are considering. It just comes down to personal taste and needs. Just test drive them all and the one that leaves the greatest impression to you is your winner.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Intermediate

NX and MKC test drive

I test drove the NX earlier this week. Unfortunately the experience was less than I hoped. I called the salesman saying I'll be there earlier than scheduled and he said he was available. When I got there he wasn't and kept telling me he had other things to do. Still was able to test drive it but had to walk across the otherside of the lot. He didn't really show me much of the features due to other things he had to do and the test drive was mostly around the block. He also didn't feel confident at all he could find the color combo I wanted. I asked him 3 days ago to look up the nation inventory and still haven't gotten a reply what he found. So not a good start so far as I has high hopes about this car. I won't settle for anything other than the colors I want.

I also test drove I test drove the MKC and I was actual impressed compared to my expectations. It felt comfortable, roomy, and had a lot of features. The salesman took time to show me a lot of features before we took it down the highway. I did feel very comfortable on the road and the drive modes were fun and liked how it changed the instrument gauges. Price competes with the RDX. Having 2 years of free maintenance is a plus too. Biggest draw back is it is not nearly as sporty as the NX and isn't as a big badge as Lexus. Having a really good test drive experience does make a huge difference. This really makes the decision harder.

2016 RDX hopefully will be at the dealership next weekend.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

Sorry to hear of your bad experience

But don't let salesman dictate your purchase

Try diff dealer
Old 05-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
RDX feels much roomier than NX, and actually it is (~30 cubic feet more spacious).
It's remarkable considering exterior measurements are not that far apart.
Still considering both for my next wife's car.
Lincoln? No thanks, if you want a car to keep its value. Nice features though (like natural wood trim).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RDX vs GLA