RDX vs EX35 & XC60

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX vs EX35 & XC60

I have not been able to get to Jax to test a RDX yet but have been shopping for an EX35 or XC60 recently, just wondered if anyone on here has cross shopped & can tell me how they compare.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by ssim3
I have not been able to get to Jax to test a RDX yet but have been shopping for an EX35 or XC60 recently, just wondered if anyone on here has cross shopped & can tell me how they compare.
Thanks
I've driven them all. The XC60 and EX35 before ultimately buying my wife's Q5 last year, then the RDX upon its recent release.

XC60 - We drove the T6 and were impressed by how quick and smooth it is. By far the most comfortable seats. I found the size to be ideal for our needs. My petite wife didn't like the thick door sills leading to a deep step-in. Ergonomics OK, but far from ideal. Gas mileage in all versions is on the low side, although 87 octane requirement partially offsets that. Really nice styling that is aging well. R-Design is a rocket without affecting fuel economy.

EX35 - My personal favorite from a driver's standpoint. Stellar handling and linear V6 power delivery. Comfortable and attractive interior with user-friendly technology (Around View system is especially cool). Mediocre fuel economy on premium. Small back seat and cargo hold. Wife didn't like the styling and limited color choices.

RDX - Good power, comfortable ride, improved looks. Seamless cylinder deactivation provides impressive hwy economy. Ideally sized, although styling diminishes cargo capacity. Disappointing that you only have Base or Tech packages and can't add any individual options with the exception of a few dealer accessories. I believe the GPS operates by voice only when moving. No height adjustment on passenger seat or back seat ventilation. Steering well boosted but lacks feel.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
DubSilk (06-07-2012), ssim3 (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
HotRodW...Thanks for the well laid out, easy to read, very informative description of each vehicles. This will come in handy for others shopping in this market!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Hot Rod. thanks you view the 1st 2 the same way as I, Living in S Ga I have no need for awd so the driving dynamics of the EX appeal to me as they did to you.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I've driven them all. The XC60 and EX35 before ultimately buying my wife's Q5 last year, then the RDX upon its recent release.

XC60 - We drove the T6 and were impressed by how quick and smooth it is. By far the most comfortable seats. I found the size to be ideal for our needs. My petite wife didn't like the thick door sills leading to a deep step-in. Ergonomics OK, but far from ideal. Gas mileage in all versions is on the low side, although 87 octane requirement partially offsets that. Really nice styling that is aging well. R-Design is a rocket without affecting fuel economy.

EX35 - My personal favorite from a driver's standpoint. Stellar handling and linear V6 power delivery. Comfortable and attractive interior with user-friendly technology (Around View system is especially cool). Mediocre fuel economy on premium. Small back seat and cargo hold. Wife didn't like the styling and limited color choices.

RDX - Good power, comfortable ride, improved looks. Seamless cylinder deactivation provides impressive hwy economy. Ideally sized, although styling diminishes cargo capacity. Disappointing that you only have Base or Tech packages and can't add any individual options with the exception of a few dealer accessories. I believe the GPS operates by voice only when moving. No height adjustment on passenger seat or back seat ventilation. Steering well boosted but lacks feel.
Funny on how we differ on the option thing. One of the main reasons Acuras are such a good deal price wise is that the option them in packages as opposed to individual options. To me, Lexus / Toyota, who do this similarily to Acura are the worst offender. I remember the difference in the price of an ES350 from the non nav to nav was about $8000.00.

It's BMW who kill you with these options. I think Audi and Mercedes.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Funny on how we differ on the option thing. One of the main reasons Acuras are such a good deal price wise is that the option them in packages as opposed to individual options. To me, Lexus / Toyota, who do this similarily to Acura are the worst offender. I remember the difference in the price of an ES350 from the non nav to nav was about $8000.00.

It's BMW who kill you with these options. I think Audi and Mercedes.
I'm not saying the Acura isn't a good value. In fact, it's a great value . . . assuming you want everything in the tech package, that is. But if you just want the Base model plus HID, remote hatch and rearview camera, you've gotta take the GPS and all that other stuff that comes with it. And nearly $4k is a lot to pay for a $1,500 worth of stuff you actually want. It simplifies the manufacturing process, but it can be frustrating for the buyer.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
As for rear seat ventilation on the RDX, from everything I've read on here, there are vents under the front seats that direct back to the rear seating area, but there are no adjustable vents on the center console. Am I correct?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:27 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm not saying the Acura isn't a good value. In fact, it's a great value . . . assuming you want everything in the tech package, that is. But if you just want the Base model plus HID, remote hatch and rearview camera, you've gotta take the GPS and all that other stuff that comes with it. And nearly $4k is a lot to pay for a $1,500 worth of stuff you actually want. It simplifies the manufacturing process, but it can be frustrating for the buyer.
Rearview camera with 3 adjustable angles is standard on the base RDX
Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Domm
Rearview camera with 3 adjustable angles is standard on the base RDX
My bad. I only drove the Tech, and I obviously misunderstood the description on Acura's website. So if I'm reading it correctly, the camera monitor is in the rear view mirror on the base package, and then moves to the navigation display if you get the Tech Package? Makes sense, although my point about buying one large option package remains valid.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
The camera display on the base is in the info screen in the top center of the dash. It is a bit smaller than the screen on the nav models (~5+ inches vs ~8+) but is much bigger than those in the rearview mirror.

I agree with you about package prices. I shopped the infiniti and very few dealers carry the base EX and the journey package is very pricey.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I misunderstood it as well because the MDX requires the tech package if you want 3 different angles. Base is only 1 view.

I think Audi is the worst culprit when it comes to optional features! They make you pay for everything that you would assume to be standard at that price! BMW second and Mercedes is making its way up their with expensive optional features. Last time I went to a BMW dealership, the cheapest 328i I could find is around 45k and a fully loaded one was 55k!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Audi makes you "step up" to get bluetooth.

... nuff said!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
As for rear seat ventilation on the RDX, from everything I've read on here, there are vents under the front seats that direct back to the rear seating area, but there are no adjustable vents on the center console. Am I correct?
Correct, but that won't help much when trying to cool the rear. Cold air coming from ground level is pretty useless for cooling body & face.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I know what you mean, but I think Acura is one of the better companies in this regard already. For other companies, sure, there are items where you can select individually. However, in order for some individual options to be selected, you MUST select another package first for a certain amount of money.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:16 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Loved my RDX for almost 5 years and then traded it in for an even more loved EX35 RWD. Both preferred over the Volvo..
I get 19-21 in city and 24+ hwy

Last edited by XIS; 06-08-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Domm
I think Audi is the worst culprit when it comes to optional features! They make you pay for everything that you would assume to be standard at that price! BMW second and Mercedes is making its way up their with expensive optional features. Last time I went to a BMW dealership, the cheapest 328i I could find is around 45k and a fully loaded one was 55k!
I would agree with that. Audi's tend to offer a very competitive base price, but then they get you with pricey option packages. Most people are surprised to hear the Q5 starts under $36k. The window sticker on our Q5 was a little over $44k, but it would have been closer to $40k if we could have purchased only the individual options we wanted. If you can ignore the options, the base models are a great value considering they're mechanically identical. BMW's are a little better in that some of the package options can be purchased individually.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I think the option gouging issue is apparent with most luxury vehicles. For $35-$40k, you'll get A .... then past $40k, you get into a model B that removes a lot of features that are available in model A which you then have to pay another $3000-$6000 to get back.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 AM

http://blog.caranddriver.com/tags/infiniti-ex37/

EX gets 3.7 next year
Old 06-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
That's exactly why they do it. To me for the tech package on my TL, to get the spoiler, nav,back-up camera, upgraded stereo and extra screen functions, push button start and the door handle touch entry is so worth the extra $3500 or so. I always go with the top of the line because I know I would regret it if I did not.

If you start offering single options, they will be very expensive for sure.