RDX is fine... but

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
RDX is fine... but

When I bought my 2014 RDX 15 mos. ago it was the clear winner in value and performance. I was underwhelmed by the Q5 and the XC60, which were both more expensive and I bought the Acura. Now the SQ5 is out and Polestar Volvo V60, both much more performance oriented. I actually have a deposit down on a Polestar V60, but I am on a wait list, they are only making 80 wagons to be imported to the US. My second option is the SQ5. I like the RDX, but I don't love it. I wish Acura would make a performance version of the RDX, but that will never happen. My experience with Acura dealer has been topnotch less so with Volvo and Audi. Am I crazy to be considering trading in a fine vehicle with only 12K on it?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madden
When I bought my 2014 RDX 15 mos. ago it was the clear winner in value and performance. I was underwhelmed by the Q5 and the XC60, which were both more expensive and I bought the Acura. Now the SQ5 is out and Polestar Volvo V60, both much more performance oriented. I actually have a deposit down on a Polestar V60, but I am on a wait list, they are only making 80 wagons to be imported to the US. My second option is the SQ5. I like the RDX, but I don't love it. I wish Acura would make a performance version of the RDX, but that will never happen. My experience with Acura dealer has been topnotch less so with Volvo and Audi. Am I crazy to be considering trading in a fine vehicle with only 12K on it?
I would definitely wait, you would lose quite a bit of money selling or trading in such a new car.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
"Am I crazy to be considering trading in a fine vehicle with only 12K on it?"

That's a question only you and your physiatrist can answer....
But, You asked, and personally, I think that you might have more money than brains.

Maybe, your just bored? If its not broke don't fix it (or sell it).

As always... IMHO

Last edited by ARascal; 08-05-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Debating, If i should send this rude answer?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Not really, I went through this situation before. If you can afford to take the loss buy the vehicle that gives you a shit eating grin when you drive it spiritedly.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are intent on moving on, try looking at the Lexus NX due out in DEC...compared to Audi and some others, this should be a killer in the category.
I looked at the Audi's first, but reliability and price were real concern. Couldn't wait for NX (which I would have bought), needed to get something now, so went with best overall choice, RDX.

Last edited by joebxr; 08-05-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Advanced

It's not so much the money, although that would be painful. When I bought the RDX it had no real competition value wise/fun to drive factor. Since I purchased the RDX, Volvo has started importing the V60(wagon) and Audi introduced the SQ5, Porsche has also come out with the Macan. All choices I didn't have when I bought the RDX, the RDX was the clear winner when I bought it compared to Q5 and XC60, my other considerations. But I miss the fun factor, my last car was a Volvo V50 that I totally built, KW V2 coilovers, Enem cams, K16 turbo, intake, inlet, big brakes, DP, Cat back, huge custom FMIC,etc. Spec3+ clutch, SMF ,etc About 15K in parts alone, it was a blast to drive, 380+ HP It was totaled, I bought the Acura with the insurance settlement, I miss that car.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ARascal
"Am I crazy to be considering trading in a fine vehicle with only 12K on it?"

That's a question only you and your physiatrist can answer....
But, You asked, and personally, I think that you might have more money than brains.

Maybe, your just bored? If its not broke don't fix it (or sell it).

As always... IMHO
I own a very successful business, I'm frugal for the most part, that's why I bought the Acura. And your right I am bored with the RDX, although it's a fine vehicle for what it is.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Advanced

The point is Acura needs to start making more exciting vehicles to compete, the RDX is a fine vehicle, but look at other manufacturers, Mercedes, AMG, BMW M series, Audi S and RS, Volvo polestar, they all offer upgrades to people who want more, but stay within the brand.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Maybe what you really need is a second vehicle to fill those needs. It worked for me and I'm not even a successful businessman; although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced

That's what my wife said, lol. I also have an '82 Volvo GLT I shoved a small block V8 into, aluminum heads, headers, cam, etc. a tire melter. And I have a 2007 Harley Superglide, that's been massaged. No, I need a fun DD.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:48 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
at this point in time Acura does not seem to want to be in that market. Over the past few years they have softened the look of their vehicles. You notice none of the vehicles show exhaust tips now. They seem to be bottom line driven and producing a vehicle that would require an extra engine probably is not cost effective for them.

While Lexus has the F Sport line they are similar to Acura where they are not really trying to compete with the AMG, I Sport, or M sport vehicles from the Germans.

A cowoker of mine who drives an Infiniti G37 said she thinks Acuras are boring and for older people. She wanted a fast car, which is why she got the Infiniti with 325 horses. While I think Acuras are not boring like she said, they are more of a family type vehicle that checks mosts of the boxes for what items people shop for but really don't blow you away in any one section, with the exception of maybe reliability.

For the OP, if you can afford a Porsche or the upgraded lines from the competition you probably can afford the repair shop bills if reliability is not as solid as for the Acura.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joebxr
If you are intent on moving on, try looking at the Lexus NX due out in DEC...compared to Audi and some others, this should be a killer in the category.
I looked at the Audi's first, but reliability and price were real concern. Couldn't wait for NX (which I would have bought), needed to get something now, so went with best overall choice, RDX.
He wants a performance car, the NX, even in F sport trim, will be less performance oriented than the RDX. It has a less powerful engine and will probably have similar weight.

In answer to OP question, IMO you are crazy. You'll take a huge hit trading in the RDX. However, I'm not a go fast guy, and I've switched personally from probably buying an RDX to probably buying a Santa Fe Sport, but we are looking for different things . . .
Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Intermediate

The point is Acura needs to start making more exciting vehicles to compete, the RDX is a fine vehicle, but look at other manufacturers, Mercedes, AMG, BMW M series, Audi S and RS, Volvo polestar, they all offer upgrades to people who want more, but stay within the brand.
I think they got scared with the last gen RDX which they tried to make more sporty and are firmly mass market now. GF and I went shopping for cars, I'm looking CUV to carry hockey equipment and tow a moving trailer, she likes small, sporty cars. She LOVED the IS350 F-sport. Also liked the Q60. We went to the Acura dealer, they had NOTHING she liked. The ILX does not have a bigger engine option so its basically a dressed up civic (and not very dressed up at that).

I guess Acura is what it is at this point: Near Luxury Mass Market cars. . .
The following users liked this post:
wildeklave (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Actually the hit will be less than on most cars, Acura's have two extremely strong points, reliability and high resale value. I need either a wagon or an SUV for work and home. One side of me agrees with many of you, it's crazy, there's nothing wrong with the RDX, the other side with less sense, wants something more fun to drive, I'm in a vehicle a couple hours a day.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
If sporty handling is a priority, it's easy to find the RDX less than satisfying. The first generation had "sporty" in spades, but ride comfort was compromised. The turbo four wasn't ideal for smooth, linear power delivery, either. Plus it was a gas hog. Acura was wise to swap the turbo four for a V6. I personally think they could have tuned the suspension for better handling without making the ride harsh, however. I'm also of the opinion that SH-AWD should have been kept on the options list. It's one of Acura's most notable engineering achievements, and I think it should be the only AWD system they offer. Flagship brands deserve flagship features.

I am a fan of all the vehicles you listed as potential alternates. The XC60 may be the must underrated crossover on the market. The Polestar V60 is flat out awesome, but for daily driver duty I'd be inclined to go with the more practical R Design or even the excellent T5 AWD version of the V60. I suspect most of the Polestar editions will be purchased and parked by collectors, or maybe used as fair weather drivers only. My wife's daily driver is a Q5, and I'm on record many times endorsing all versions of that car. The 2.0T is good, the V6T and TDI are very good, and the SQ5 stellar. I'm really, really disappointed Acura is not offering a TLX wagon. A TLX wagon with the MDX's V6 and SH-AWD sounds like an ideal daily driver to me.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced

I already have a deposit down on a Polestar V60, I just don't know if I reserved one soon enough, I'm on a wait list, I find out tomorrow if one has my name on it.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:58 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Here is an 2012 900hp Caddy CTS-V with 4883 miles in Phoenix, AZ for only $65,000. It might satisfy the fun to drive factor and cargo space

I would even check out Tesla Model S, used Cayenne, or go in a different direction and look a Jaguar F Types.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...72462051&Log=0

Name:  38357005749372462051IM120565x421_A565x377_zps874913b1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  15.5 KB

Name:  38357005748372462051IM119565x421_A565x377_zpsdf5b9ff4.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  20.0 KB

Last edited by mrgold35; 08-06-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What the RDX lacks in sportiness, it should make up for in reliability vs the Germans. Our RDX's stablemate is an GTI mk6. While it has been reliable for the past few years, it has not been perfect. It's spent at least 3 weeks in the shop for the same issue, which they can't fix. Any complicated issues that do not "throw codes" bewilder their technicians. The cars themselves are not designed well the first time. They constantly redesign parts to fix design defects, which there are more than a few. My experience with them has not been a happy one to say the least.

The RDX is great in its relative old-fashionedness. It's got an adequately powerful engine, but it's still got port fuel injection (rather than direct as in the MDX or TLX), that means no high pressure fuel pump to fail, no carbon to clean from the intake. The valve clearances are manually adjusted without removing the camshafts and they don't have hydraulic lifters to fail. The gas mileage is not bad, either with the VCM. And it can tow two motorcycles with ease.

Sure, it may not handle like the Germans, but our RDX did a fine job of getting me to and from the VW dealer while my GTI was out of service.

If any of the below are true
  • you can afford the time to take your car to the shop time and again,
  • you want to make friends with your dealer (which is another way to say hand over your checkbook)
  • you want to be treated like crap by VW customer care
  • you find expensive German parts sexy
  • when anything fails due to a known design defect after the warranty period, you are happy to take full responsibility
I encourage you by all means to buy a VW/Audi.

Sorry for the rant....
Old 08-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced

I've had pretty good luck with Audi, my wife's A3 is 8 years old, and besides a recall for defective coil paks, just routine maintenance and wear items. Another reason, I forgot to mention, which is actually pretty important, the V60 will tow 3500lbs. and the SQ5 can handle 4400 lbs. I think the RDX is 1500, my boat and trailer are 2400 lbs.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What XC60 did you find lacking compared to RDX?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I already have a deposit down on a Polestar V60, I just don't know if I reserved one soon enough, I'm on a wait list, I find out tomorrow if one has my name on it.
Have you ever thought about aftermarket suspension upgrades? Or even easier yet, lighter weight wheels/sportier tire combo? Lightweight forged wheels and upgrading tires can do wonders for handling.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced

I just thought the RDX was equal to the XC60 in most aspects, and frankly it came down to price and appearance, I just didn't like the looks of the XC60.
Yes I have considered modding the RDX, but there's only so much you can do to an NA motor, forced induction is a lot easier to tweak. Wheels are about it, there's no demand for aftermarket upgrades, so there are none available.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I just thought the RDX was equal to the XC60 in most aspects, and frankly it came down to price and appearance, I just didn't like the looks of the XC60.
Yes I have considered modding the RDX, but there's only so much you can do to an NA motor, forced induction is a lot easier to tweak. Wheels are about it, there's no demand for aftermarket upgrades, so there are none available.
I think there is nothing left for you at Acura, so you might as well buy something else. Financially, it is a stupid move, but it sounds like you no longer really care about saving money as much. An SQ5 and V60 Polestar are in a much higher price bracket, which Acura does not compete with the RDX.

I think you would be better off looking at a BMW X3, 35i model. The N55 has a lot of cheap mods to really boost its output and if you get the MSport model, the handling should be pretty stellar.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced

It's not like I've never done anything stupid before, lol. Don't get me wrong I like the Acura.
I thought I could live with it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's a splendid vehicle and Acura did a lot of things right. Thanks for all the feedback! I find out today if I got a deposit down in time on the Polestar V60. I've had 9 Volvo's in my life, the Acura is the first non-Volvo I've ever had, although my wife has had other makes. If I don't get the Polestar, I'm keeping the Acura, and I'll be fine with that. I considered the SQ5, but that was never really a serious consideration. Once I saw the Polestar V60, I knew I had to try and get one.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Since you've had so many Volvos and this is your first Acura it only stands to reason that you may be disappointed. You are so used to one brand's controls and drive that the Acura probably feels a little foreign and every time you get in it you are wishing for that little bit of "home". Hey, you thought you could live with something that has a decent ride, is a good value and is practical but have discovered that you just like more zoom-zoom(sorry Mazda). Nothing wrong with that. Life is full of mistakes and some cost us a little more than others. Buy what you like and if costs you some, just chalk it up to an expensive lesson and move on.
The following users liked this post:
madden (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:32 PM
10th Gear

I was in the same situation, comparing the RDX to the XC60. After driving them back to back, I went with the T6 XC60. Felt more solid and agile than the RDX. I also liked the added safety / tech features and having 5yr 50k wear and tear service. Only about a $5k difference than an RDX AWD Tech.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Advanced

The XC60 is a fine vehicle.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Interesting about the looks of the XC60...to me, it's very distinctive; having driven one for almost 4 years, I can spot one blocks away but I still have some trouble finding our white RDX in the HEB parking lot .

I'd go back to the XC series in a flash, especially if they would make an XC version of the new V60(more like the wagon, less like the CUV). It was tough to walk away from 300 or 325 turbocharged HP when we traded for the RDX two years ago. The RDX has plenty of oomph for daily driving...funny how 200-225 HP was 'enough' just a few years ago, now the benchmark is 300 for many folks
Old 08-09-2014, 11:21 PM
10th Gear

@Madden, opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one and here's mine. I like the car but it doesn't excite me that much either. The RDX is neither a performance car nor a luxury car and since a car is a depreciating asset don't even bother trying to time the sweet spot to trade at the most value.

If you want to mod it then mod it or cut to the chase and trade it. Life is too short so money be damned - do what makes you happy.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Good advice, life is short, I'm getting the Polestar V60 end of September.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Good advice, life is short, I'm getting the Polestar V60 end of September.
That's awesome! Congrats! Future collectible for sure. I gotta say I'm a little envious. I considered AWD T5 and T6 version of the V60, but ultimately I couldn't get past the tight cargo area. Wonderful car though. I can only imagine how much fun the Polestar will be. Please share a couple pictures when you get it.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CoachRick
I'd go back to the XC series in a flash, especially if they would make an XC version of the new V60(more like the wagon, less like the CUV).
It sounds like you might be getting your wish.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/28/v...sive-featured/

I'm pretty impressed with the new XC90 -- especially the interior. I will be keeping an eye on Volvo for the next few years. Not too sure what to think of the small cars sharing a platform with Geely, though.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HotRodW
That's awesome! Congrats! Future collectible for sure. I gotta say I'm a little envious. I considered AWD T5 and T6 version of the V60, but ultimately I couldn't get past the tight cargo area. Wonderful car though. I can only imagine how much fun the Polestar will be. Please share a couple pictures when you get it.
Will do! I am pretty excited about it, I have a special fondness for Volvo wagons. For my needs the cargo space is just fine.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Will do! I am pretty excited about it, I have a special fondness for Volvo wagons. For my needs the cargo space is just fine.
I think it would be fine for most. I have work gear and sales literature I need to have with me when I travel.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:06 PM
8th Gear

Congrats on the Polestar v60 and good luck with it when you get it. One of the nicest/sportiest looking wagons out there. Just curious, at that price point, did you ever consider the BMW 3-series wagon with the M-package?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Resident Metal Head

I totally agree with you here. On both sides, Honda and Acura have lost that sporty edge they once had. This stands with every vehicle in both brand's line-ups. We bought the wife her 2015 RDX because it was the best bang for the buck and it will be super reliable and hold it's value. It's nice, but far from exciting. This was the main reason I bought my Nissan 370Z in 2012 after owning nothing but Honda/Acura for the previous 18 years.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by montynj1
Congrats on the Polestar v60 and good luck with it when you get it. One of the nicest/sportiest looking wagons out there. Just curious, at that price point, did you ever consider the BMW 3-series wagon with the M-package?
If the 335ix or the S4 Avant were imported into this country I would have some comparable choices in a sport wagon. The Polestar comes fully loaded, every option box is checked, you have one choice only, blue or black. A fully loaded 3 series wagon, 4 cylinder, 240HP, comes within 200.00 of the polestar, inline 6 350 HP 20" wheels, huge 6 piston Brembo's, big FMIC, ferrita free flow exhaust, custom Ohlins suspension, reworked turbo, etc. 250 Polestar parts were added to a fulled loaded V60 R design to make a Polestar, emphasis on handling. For me, having had so many Volvos, there was no other choice. The dealer said I would get it "very soon".
Old 09-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
Not really, I went through this situation before. If you can afford to take the loss buy the vehicle that gives you a shit eating grin when you drive it spiritedly.
amen
Old 09-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish Acura would make a performance version of the RDX, but that will never happen.
They did and nobody bought it. It was called the first gen Acura RDX.

I believe you will be better off with an Audi though. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by red00tl
They did and nobody bought it. It was called the first gen Acura RDX.

I believe you will be better off with an Audi though. Good luck with your hunt.
Actually I eliminated the SQ5 early on, I placed an order for a Macan turbo, cancelled that when the Polestar V60 became available, I'm getting #44 out of 80 imported to the US, should be here any day now.

Quick Reply: RDX is fine... but