RDX died!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
RDX died!

So, after a whopping 3 months of ownership, my 2014 RDX took a crap. Pulled out of the neighborhood this morning, than the car went nuts 1/2 a mile down the road. What felt like traction control kicking in, kicked in. It tried to brake on its own, than hill climb assist came on, check engine emission popped up, Service traction control lit up, along with most of the dash lights. Car also said service power steering. I was able to pull the car over to the right lane where the car just shut down. It won't start, yet you can press the button to "turn on" the car. If i try to start it, you just hear the starter, but no compression. The car has less than 3k miles on it. So it's been towed to acura, but they are closed. So hopefully they let me know on Monday. Any idea what it may be? I'm thinking either something electrical took a crap (had a plastic burning smell outside) or maybe a belt snapped (didn't get to look before the tow truck picked it up.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Yikes!! That sucks....I am deeply sorry and hope that its not something too serious.

Keep us posted. I doubt very few people will be able to provide you with a diagnosis here but I may be wrong.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
Yikes!! That sucks....I am deeply sorry and hope that its not something too serious.

Keep us posted. I doubt very few people will be able to provide you with a diagnosis here but I may be wrong.
Well luckily it wasn't too far from my house. I just took a walk to my house, and picked up my escalade. Thing is 4 years old and is mechanically sound. I just hope this was a fluke and doesn't start a trend, b/c the whole reason I bought my wife an acura is b/c honda/acura's used to be solid cars that pretty much run forever so long as you change the fluids etc. Many MDX's in the family and zero issues with them. But if another issue occurs within a short period of time, I'm going to have to let it go and grab something more reliable.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ With ever increasing complex electronics in today's cars, I think the trend of reliable cars are going to start sliding southward I believe. I think the peak of reliability has come and gone....my 2 cents of course
Old 04-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
^^ With ever increasing complex electronics in today's cars, I think the trend of reliable cars are going to start sliding southward I believe. I think the peak of reliability has come and gone....my 2 cents of course
I agree, it's like guns (I'm an enthusiast by the way) the more moving parts, the more parts that can break, hence glock is so popular. But yea, more electronics means more problems. Especially with all the different "safety" features like braking on its own, and being able to corner quicker by braking on the inside wheels, and start/stop capabilities. It's only a matter of time, when something malfunctions and it'll leave you on the side of the road.
The following users liked this post:
weather (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 07:42 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Sounds like an electrical problem like your alternator took a dump, grounding problem, or failed component that affected the electrical flow. My 08 RDX had all kinds of warnings and the dash looked like a X-mas tree when my alternator was putting below 12 volts of power.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Please let us know what the dealer comes up with!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

So called the dealer twice today, after the first call they said they sent off the fuel for testing Bc they think I put in bad gas (there are 2 other Rdx's they said are in the shop for that same reason) then gas sample comes back clean. So they finally inspect the car, the timing belt shredded and the car skipped timing. No loaner car Bc they don't have one available. Also they said they are going to put on a new belt today so it might be fixed today, if it runs after belt install. Car was bought 12/31/13 new, took delivery January 3rd I think. Has 2500 miles on it!!! I want out of this car but at the same time I bought the 100k mile warranty thinking my wife would keep this car for a while. So if she is willing to drive it I'll let her keep it, if it were my daily, it would be gone. In the mean time my 2010 escalade has given me zero issues in the 4 years I've owned it. I hated the driving dynamics and crappy service hence I didn't get a srx for her. I'm going to keep my eyes open and start checking out other cars.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:37 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Never seen something like that in a car so new.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
wow they need to give you a new motor and not a new TB. Your going to have belt valves and hole punches in the piston
Old 04-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

well I won't take the car back unless it's running 100%. With a car that new, I'll make the dealer make it right. If not, i'll take the loss and see if they will buy it back from me, and I'll move on to another car. Thinking my original choices, the infiniti fx37 or a ML350 mercedes. I wasn't even planning to buy a car when I bought the RDX. I went to look at the FX and my wife didnt like it, but liked the EX which I can't stand the look, so I immediately left the dealership and stopped by the acura dealer on the way home, and some how came home with the RDX.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
well I won't take the car back unless it's running 100%. With a car that new, I'll make the dealer make it right. If not, i'll take the loss and see if they will buy it back from me, and I'll move on to another car. Thinking my original choices, the infiniti fx37 or a ML350 mercedes. I wasn't even planning to buy a car when I bought the RDX. I went to look at the FX and my wife didnt like it, but liked the EX which I can't stand the look, so I immediately left the dealership and stopped by the acura dealer on the way home, and some how came home with the RDX.
Check the lemon law in your state.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KeithL
Check the lemon law in your state.
I don't think it's a "lemon" and I think in order to declare it a lemon, it has to have the same issue 3 times within a short period of time....
Old 04-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
wow they need to give you a new motor and not a new TB. Your going to have belt valves and hole punches in the piston
hell ya if that belt broke when it was running I can almost guarantee it bent a valve if it didn't bust a hole in a piston or bend the rod. at the least I would want the dealer to put a scope in each cylinder & inspect.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
I might have a independent engine builder check it out, the proper fix should have been a new engine, IMO.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Tensioner probably failed which led to shredded timing belt. I'm pretty sure Acura is an interference motor, so if the car was running when this happened, you probably need more than just a belt replacement.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think it's a "lemon" and I think in order to declare it a lemon, it has to have the same issue 3 times within a short period of time....
Most states also define a lemon as a car that has been out of service for 30 days. Aloe you mentioned 100K warranty, most let you cancel and will refund a prorated amount, a few months in I would expect you could get most of it back.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Well just came back from the dealer.... They had the head off, and at least 2 valves were thrown/locked Before they break it down more to check for piston damage/block damage, They are waiting for corporate acura to arrive, and take pictures and investigate what may have happened for future reference, b/c they said this is the first acura in the past 6 years to come in with a broken timing belt, non-less a car with less than 3k miles. They wouldn't buy my car back for what I bought it for due to it being under warranty and warranty willing to pay for repairs. Also they said expect at least 2 weeks before they even start repairing it, since they have to wait for corps decision on whether it'll be an engine rebuild or a new motor (which only the block comes assembled, they would still have to assemble the head and adjust valves etc.) So for right now, after a whole day of calling, I just picked up a 2014 TL as a loaner, with 200 miles on it.... Hopefully this belt stays together.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
What a nightmare! Sorry for your troubles. I definitely wouldn't expect this from any Acura at just 2,500 miles. Or any other brand for that matter. Just one of those odd deals I guess. Unlike the clunking suspension, they can't ignore this one. You can bet they'll be looking hard to make sure it was an anomaly and not the start of a trend. They certainly don't want to be replacing engines under warranty.

Are you still without a loaner? Aren't service loaners standard issue at all Acura dealerships? They should give you something even if they have to take a car off the lot.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
What a nightmare! Sorry for your troubles. I definitely wouldn't expect this from any Acura at just 2,500 miles. Or any other brand for that matter. Just one of those odd deals I guess. Unlike the clunking suspension, they can't ignore this one. You can bet they'll be looking hard to make sure it was an anomaly and not the start of a trend. They certainly don't want to be replacing engines under warranty.

Are you still without a loaner? Aren't service loaners standard issue at all Acura dealerships? They should give you something even if they have to take a car off the lot.
Well I'm thinking someone "fell asleep" at work at the acura factory! But also one of my employee's called in today, she bought a loaded 2014 MDX, and her check engine light came on after 2 weeks of ownership, Her 02 sensor wasn't connected...
Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

BTW yes they ended up getting me a loaner, an hour before they closed they called me to tell me they had a 2014 TL come in for me to take home. Wife doesn't like the blind spots, I haven't driven it, but it doesn't have rear cam or navi which is a bummer.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

this is what happen when Acura are made in the USA and CA. Someone forgot to tighten the bolt.
The following 2 users liked this post by thisaznboi88:
hadokenuh (04-08-2014), musty hustla (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree, my 2001 TL was one of the first acura's made in the US, prior the legends etc were made in japan still. I went through 5 transmissions on that car. The TSX and RL were solid b/c they were still built in japan.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
this is what happen when Acura are made in the USA and CA. Someone forgot to tighten the bolt.
As far as I know Acuras are no longer assembled in Canada.
Be glad not mad that they are assembled in Ohio and not in China.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Safety Car

I rather have it assemble in Japan like they were suppose to be
Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Burning Brakes

That's why I like infiniti, most of them are made in japan, unlike it's parent company nissan which makes most in USA. Not only that, the infiniti QX is the same as the armada, but they built it for 1-2 years in america, and switched production back to Japan due to too many quality issues.
thisaznboi88 (04-07-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Suzuka Master

That's why I like infiniti, most of them are made in japan, unlike it's parent company nissan which makes most in USA. Not only that, the infiniti QX is the same as the armada, but they built it for 1-2 years in america, and switched production back to Japan due to too many quality issues.
My Infiniti M37S was made in Japan, and where it built only matters for some things. My car was assembled well, but the buzzing doors and back deck and rubbing truck lid were design flaws and had nothing to do with where it was assembled.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Well just came back from the dealer.... They had the head off, and at least 2 valves were thrown/locked Before they break it down more to check for piston damage/block damage, They are waiting for corporate acura to arrive, and take pictures and investigate what may have happened for future reference, b/c they said this is the first acura in the past 6 years to come in with a broken timing belt, non-less a car with less than 3k miles. They wouldn't buy my car back for what I bought it for due to it being under warranty and warranty willing to pay for repairs. Also they said expect at least 2 weeks before they even start repairing it, since they have to wait for corps decision on whether it'll be an engine rebuild or a new motor (which only the block comes assembled, they would still have to assemble the head and adjust valves etc.) So for right now, after a whole day of calling, I just picked up a 2014 TL as a loaner, with 200 miles on it.... Hopefully this belt stays together.
Research your lemon law the clock is ticking on them. Reach out to corporate Acura and explain your concerns and that you don't feel safe int he car at this point, etc. Explain that if you are not satisfied you will be a lost customer.

I had a 1993 Mazda 626 that had a head issue within 5K miles and I was pissed. I called and wrote eventually sold the car and a few weeks later Mazda Corporate called and offered to extend the warranty on the engine, unfortunately I sold the car already. Push Acura, call the BBB and such turn up the heat on them.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm really sorry that happened - sounds like an awful mess. At least you were close to home and not on a busy road.

Originally Posted by KeithL
Reach out to corporate Acura and explain your concerns and that you don't feel safe int he car at this point, etc. Explain that if you are not satisfied you will be a lost customer.
It's a good point that you need to direct all efforts toward corporate. Most dealers can't/won't eat the cost of an entire vehicle so it would be corporate who basically puts you in a new one. Hopefully they're reading this thread too and know you're spreading the word already and their response will be public knowledge very quickly!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Yea with the lemon law, I just looked it up, has to be in service for 90 days within the first year. Or 4 trips. They will fix it, and it will be covered under warranty so I'm not sure how much of a case I have when trying to get them to buy it back for purchase price. I may still send up an email to corporate Acura about how displeased I am, and how I expected so much more out of a Japanese company. The whole point of buying the rdx for my wife is to get something reliable she can drive comfortably for a while.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You where one of the very unfortunate ones!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...ngine-failures

Top 10 manufacturers

ManufacturerFailure rate (%)Failure rate (1 in x)1Honda0.29%1 in 3442Toyota0.58%1 in 1713Mercedes0.84%1 in 1194Volvo0.90%1 in 1115Jaguar0.98%1 in 103

Bottom 10 manufacturers

ManufacturerFailure rate (%)Failure rate (1 in x)1MG Rover7.88%1 in 132Audi3.71%1 in 273MINI2.51%1 in 404Saab2.49%1 in 405Vauxhall2.46%1 in 41

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...#ixzz2yIuZmCN2
The following 2 users liked this post by foreverhonda:
hand-filer (04-08-2014), RDXinNETX (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
I rather have it assemble in Japan like they were suppose to be
So what you are implying is that you have no faith in your fellow Americans ability to assemble quality vehicles.
Kind of sad in my opinion.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Yea with the lemon law, I just looked it up, has to be in service for 90 days within the first year. Or 4 trips. They will fix it, and it will be covered under warranty so I'm not sure how much of a case I have when trying to get them to buy it back for purchase price. I may still send up an email to corporate Acura about how displeased I am, and how I expected so much more out of a Japanese company. The whole point of buying the rdx for my wife is to get something reliable she can drive comfortably for a while.
I really feel for you. Buying a brand new car, at least for me, only happens about every 6-7 years so it would be terrible to have a major issue like this when it is basically brand new. You're right about the lemon laws. It isn't nearly as easy as many people propose. I see people flaunting "check your lemon laws" all over different forums and only about 1 out of 50 cases come close to qualifying. Usually, the problem has to be safety related and the dealer cannot fix it 3 or more times or the vehicle has to be out of service for extended periods of time. They just don't make it easy. I'm sure they will fix it correctly as you have a long warranty on it and they will be on the hook so they might as well fix it right the first time.

BTW, are sure the 2014 TL doesn't have a back-up camera? I thought all Honda and Acura products had them standard now.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hand-filer
So what you are implying is that you have no faith in your fellow Americans ability to assemble quality vehicles.
I agree with you and him. I agree that the Asian countries are a little more strict and diligent when it comes to manufacturing (minus CHEAP stuff made in china, but that stuff isn't reliable b/c it's built to a price point). And overall Americans come to work just to punch in and get paid, there are few that take pride in their work, most treat it as just a "job". Too many times I walk into a big box store and find employee's hiding in the corner or various places and just having conversations. Or places where the employee's are having personal conversations on the phone all day long. I nip that in the butt all day long at my store, and it's sad that I have to ride my employee's on being productive etc. But at the rate they are getting paid, they feel like they shouldn't have to be "slaving". But also ALL mass production manufacturers are falling into the culture of building to a price point, and not wanted to use quality parts to keep costs down. At the same time, it'll keep the cost of the car down so we won't pay an arm and a leg to buy something.
musty hustla (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by geocord
I really feel for you. Buying a brand new car, at least for me, only happens about every 6-7 years so it would be terrible to have a major issue like this when it is basically brand new. You're right about the lemon laws. It isn't nearly as easy as many people propose. I see people flaunting "check your lemon laws" all over different forums and only about 1 out of 50 cases come close to qualifying. Usually, the problem has to be safety related and the dealer cannot fix it 3 or more times or the vehicle has to be out of service for extended periods of time. They just don't make it easy. I'm sure they will fix it correctly as you have a long warranty on it and they will be on the hook so they might as well fix it right the first time.

BTW, are sure the 2014 TL doesn't have a back-up camera? I thought all Honda and Acura products had them standard now.
Its a base model, and it doesn't have navi either. Just an amber screen on the center stack
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Its a base model, and it doesn't have navi either. Just an amber screen on the center stack
Yeah, I realized no NAVI as that is part of the tech pkg but I am shocked that it has no backup camera. Even the 2013 RDX has one standard and I think they are standard on Hondas like the Accord. No rhyme or reason to Acura content sometimes I must admit.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by geocord
Yeah, I realized no NAVI as that is part of the tech pkg but I am shocked that it has no backup camera. Even the 2013 RDX has one standard and I think they are standard on Hondas like the Accord. No rhyme or reason to Acura content sometimes I must admit.
it also has a turn key, not push button. Push button start is an option.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. They don't take pride in their work anymore. The cars assembled in the US have random rattles while the one that come from Japan are dead quiet. Japan has a philosophy called Kaizen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen. Made in USA used to mean something at one point...

Also if you haven't notices all of the accords v6 and TL that have the spark plug ejects were all made in the USA.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It all has to due with better quality of raw materials that the Japanese use at a reasonable price. Where as in North America the raw materials cost so much and are poorer quality. That's why Japanese vehicles are much better quality than the ones built in North America. There products there don't just meet specifications they exceed them.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
any updates on the repair

Quick Reply: RDX died!