AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   RDX 2018 CarPlay Navtool (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/rdx-2018-carplay-navtool-975989/)

Jaga Ka 12-29-2018 02:03 PM

RDX 2018 CarPlay Navtool

I looked at the new Navtool video, it looks simple to install and it works well in the video

has as anyone installed this new version of Navtool? Where would the unit go? If you leave it inside, how can you connect the USB and HDMI cable ?

Al Dente 01-04-2019 02:53 PM

I wasn't familiar with this product but it looked interesting. However at a cost of several hundred dollars, I can't see spending that money just to get airplay. Also, I'm hesitant to do a self installation no matter how easy their video makes it look. I did try their dealer lookup on their website but it didn't seem to be working.

Jaga Ka 01-04-2019 05:03 PM

Yea, no dealer

I looked at old threads and some members did the install. But can’t take risk doing it myself

Al Dente 01-05-2019 12:13 PM

I found some reviews, both good and bad, kind of a mixed bag. Good reviews said their tech support was good. The bad reviews had more to do with shipping problems, broken parts, poor customer service, etc. But bottom line is that it is far cheaper to just buy a phone mount for your phone.

Jaga Ka 01-28-2019 06:38 AM

Yea, true

its good to have, but for the price and installation not worth it

invisible.cloud 01-11-2020 09:06 AM

I have the same question. Did you ever get any answer? In all navTool videos, it doesn't show how the phone is connected to the car.

Originally Posted by Jaga Ka (Post 16356929)
I looked at the new Navtool video, it looks simple to install and it works well in the video

has as anyone installed this new version of Navtool? Where would the unit go? If you leave it inside, how can you connect the USB and HDMI cable ?

https://youtu.be/ZcKNnsprrIM

egads 01-11-2020 09:31 PM

This cable:
https://www.navtool.com/Lightning-hdmi-extension.aspx

ballerina617 11-12-2021 04:03 PM

I want CarPlay

I had a Chrysler 300S as a rental with Apple CarPlay and now it’s ruined my 2018 RDX for me. I want CarPlay. I called the dealer they just said “no”. Not really an explanation just No. I am afraid to try to install something myself and then oh my dash is taken apart and I’ve messed up my car. Any suggestions on who can install whatever the equipment is that’s needed? BestBuy? Why is the answer just flat out NO from the dealership? I have the technology package and have the two screens. I won’t upgrade the navigation because it’s not realtime and why bother. Any suggestions? I’m in Bergen county NJ

egads 11-12-2021 07:22 PM

An Acura dealer is very limited on installing aftermarket accessories. Warranty issues and such. Their job is to get you to buy a new Acura that includes CarPlay.

I would contact Navtool and ask about installation possibilities. If you click the retail locations button on the bottom of their page, they say they have offices in NYC & New Jersey.
This is easy stuff for car stereo installers.

By the way, if you watch one of their demo videos, like the Acura one, the map that comes up shows kind of where they are.

dtownfb 11-14-2021 07:49 PM

Why not try a local electronic store that does this type of work all day, every day? They can do a custom job for you if it's possible. Plus they will stand behind their work. Just pick a company that has been around for a while.

DUCRDX 11-14-2021 11:30 PM

A car stereo shop is your best bet. They can install the Navtool if that's what you want. That seems to be the most OEM looking system that I've run across. If you get something else installed, please report back as I would be interested. I'd have bought the Navtool and done it myself if not for the myriad of customer service horror stories out there.

ballerina617 11-15-2021 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by DUCRDX (Post 16772255)
A car stereo shop is your best bet. They can install the Navtool if that's what you want. That seems to be the most OEM looking system that I've run across. If you get something else installed, please report back as I would be interested. I'd have bought the Navtool and done it myself if not for the myriad of customer service horror stories out there.

Yes, exactly why I’m hesitant to buy it. Also I’m afraid to self install. With my luck I’ll break a tab on the dash molding or crack it and my car will look like shit. I’m going to look into a car stereo place soon. Currently renovating my house so this has moved down the list.

Kelsen 11-16-2021 05:28 PM

Please let us know if you find a place that will install it. Every one I have talked to has lied that they can't due to insurance and/or liability, because they are not providing it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

egads 11-16-2021 07:32 PM

That is why I suggested you contact NaviTool directly. They seem to be in your area and probably have installers they know.