RDX with 10.5k has vibration and other problems

Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX with 10.5k has vibration and other problems

Just bought an AWD with Tech and it has 10.5K miles. I begin to notice the vibration that folks have talked in one of the earlier post. This happens between 30-40 miles and you can feel that vibration for few seconds and then it disppears. It happens occasionally.
The biggest problem is that I can notice a subtle vibration throughout the body of the car (seats, accl pedal, steering wheel etc) when I am driving and I observe when I am above 30 mph. This is bothering me too much and I am planning to take it the to the dealership. I am wondering if they can not notice it and I could be stuck with a car that has this really disappointing vibration. My friend drove it and he felt it too. I have an odyssey and had an accord and I did not feel anything like that. To make the matter worse, I gave up my 2010 x5 after driving a month for the acura reliability and gas mileage - it was a smooth car with more bells and whistles and that Navi WORKED even while driving. Tech package is another sad story here. Just noticed that it has no dimming exterior mirrors !!. In the hindsight I should have kept that high maintenance BMW!!!!
My only worry is that if Acura can not fix it and they might term this as normal
I am not sure if anybody on this forum has this constant subtle vibration? Do you think first year models should be avoided?
The following users liked this post:
Sdlot (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have the same vibration in my new RDX. I have taken it to the dealership and they confirmed that other customers have the same issue, but they have no fix yet.
I am hoping that the engineers at Acura read these posts and realize they must do something to eliminate this problem. I have driven many cars and SUV's costing half as much with a much smoother ride.
This is totally unacceptable!!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I think I have figured out the vibration thing at around 30mph. I believe it is due to aggressive mapping of the gears when in D mode. By aggressive mapping I mean that the computer tries to get to the highest gear very quickly. You will notice that even around 30mph or so, you are already in the 5th -6th gear. If you keep accelerating beyond that mark, you will not feel any vibration. I feel it occasionally, when I am trying to hyper mile or just cruising in city limits with extremely light throttle.

I do understand your gripe with tech package, side mirrors (non dimming), navi etc but all that is known and well discussed. It shouldn't have come as a surprise!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There's a number of threads on the vibration. Unfortunately AKS is correct that commonly the RDX will upshift to 6th gear earlier than you might want and then the VCM will kick on. The workaround I've used is if you anticipate being in the deadzone of 35-40mph or so, shift in to sport mode.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
There's a number of threads on the vibration. Unfortunately AKS is correct that commonly the RDX will upshift to 6th gear earlier than you might want and then the VCM will kick on. The workaround I've used is if you anticipate being in the deadzone of 35-40mph or so, shift in to sport mode.
Or you could just get used to it until if or when Acura addresses it. I don't find it that bothersome and quickly realized that it was due to the tranny shifting up to higher gears very quickly and causing a little vibration at low speed/rpm. I figure it's why we get very nice MPG and don't let it bother me. If the OPs is much more vibration than what I'm talking about it may be a different story but it sounds very similar.

Another thing that feels different is the electric powered steering versus the old hydraulic steering. It's something that has been done for MPG efficiency and is just something else to get used to. I think you'll find this to be happening across manufacturers to different degrees due to CAFE requirements.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear

If the problem is due to aggressive shifting, then Acura should rethink the setup of the transmission. I have driven many new SUV's costing thousands less with no vibration, much smoother and better gas mileage. As it sits I cannot recommend this vehicle, as it seems Honda has rushed this vehicle to market without proper testing.

Shame on you Acura
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

I think there are 2 kinds of vibrations that we are talking about- one where it happens at 30-40 where the transmission is finding a fuel efficient gear and other is the constant vibration that one can feel while driving and it is subtle. By subtle I mean that touch a steering wheel lightly or any car part and you can feel this vibration - it should not confused with engine vibration percolating in the cabin.
I knew about the navi crap but hoping for a hack here.
THis vibration has taken away my joy of owning acura and I really hope Acura service can fix this issue.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdlot
If the problem is due to aggressive shifting, then Acura should rethink the setup of the transmission. I have driven many new SUV's costing thousands less with no vibration, much smoother and better gas mileage. As it sits I cannot recommend this vehicle, as it seems Honda has rushed this vehicle to market without proper testing.

Shame on you Acura
You might be confusing this with VCM, where the V6 runs on 3 and 4cylinder mode operation with vibration? This does happen with all VCM vehicles, even my 2011 Odyssey. The vibration you get occasionally is still better than driving a 4cylinder car. That said the 6spd automatic shifts/operates pretty well. It shifts slightly better than my Old Infiniti EX35 transmission did.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by masterrdx
I think there are 2 kinds of vibrations that we are talking about- one where it happens at 30-40 where the transmission is finding a fuel efficient gear and other is the constant vibration that one can feel while driving and it is subtle. By subtle I mean that touch a steering wheel lightly or any car part and you can feel this vibration - it should not confused with engine vibration percolating in the cabin.
I knew about the navi crap but hoping for a hack here.
THis vibration has taken away my joy of owning acura and I really hope Acura service can fix this issue.
Come to think of it, my 2011 Oddy had a similar issue with a vibration around 30-40mph and there was a software/firmware update for the 6spd automatic which is the same 6spd in the RDX. The problem went away.

The Constant vibration sounds like wheel balance issue or possible alignment. It could be a brake pad issue as well. Those are kind of hard to diagnose.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I have not experienced any vibration to the point where its bothersome. I also wish the car had tinted or auto dimming exterior mirrors. But its not an issue if you tint your windows.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear

I am sure that the vibration or roughness is due to the transmission aggressiveness in trying to shift to a lower gear and not a wheel bearing or something else. My problem is that a new "luxury car" should be smooth no matter what the transmission or vcm or engine is doing. If a firmware update will solve this issue, then Acura should get to it before word of mouth from disgruntled Rdx owners affect sales. I know what I tell my friends and neighbours when they want to know how I like my Rdx !
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
HI guys...sorry for posting here on a different topic but I didn't want to start a new thread for this...I also did a search and couldn't find anything although its been talked in here before....The Battery! I know it is not Acura's strongest point but I had a question for you guys. As you know, I don't drive my vehicles in the rain/snow so it tends to be parked in the garage for several days/weeks until the roads are dry again. I have a CTEK3300 (trickle charger) that I will connect the TL and the RDX to ensure the battery is fully topped up. I used it on the RDX this weekend and the device showed the cycle was completed and the battery was topped up but the little green eye (on the battery) was not visible...it is still dark. Don't get me wrong, the vehicle starts no problem and there is no indication on the MID showing low battery but I am just curious, shouldn't the little green indicator be on when the battery is fully charged? I can't attest to the TL since the whole battery is covered by the plastic cover except for the little removable panel where the red post on the battery is.

Comments or thoughts? Again, my apologies for the slightly "off topic" question, but I figured this qualified for the "..or other problems" part of the thread
Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
HI guys...sorry for posting here on a different topic but I didn't want to start a new thread for this...I also did a search and couldn't find anything although its been talked in here before....The Battery! I know it is not Acura's strongest point but I had a question for you guys. As you know, I don't drive my vehicles in the rain/snow so it tends to be parked in the garage for several days/weeks until the roads are dry again. I have a CTEK3300 (trickle charger) that I will connect the TL and the RDX to ensure the battery is fully topped up. I used it on the RDX this weekend and the device showed the cycle was completed and the battery was topped up but the little green eye (on the battery) was not visible...it is still dark. Don't get me wrong, the vehicle starts no problem and there is no indication on the MID showing low battery but I am just curious, shouldn't the little green indicator be on when the battery is fully charged? I can't attest to the TL since the whole battery is covered by the plastic cover except for the little removable panel where the red post on the battery is.

Comments or thoughts? Again, my apologies for the slightly "off topic" question, but I figured this qualified for the "..or other problems" part of the thread
I looked at my battery indicator yesterday and it was green. It wasn't very easy to see, it is not very bright. Did you look at it in the garage? Maybe it wasn't enough ambient light to see it. Also, I'm not sure if the indicator shows green only when the battery is fully charged, maybe there is some other problem with the battery. Does your RDX also start with no problems after sitting outside in cold weather for a while? I would have the dealer look at the battery next time you bring the car in for service.
I had a problem with the battery in my 2008 MDX. Most of the time it was starting OK, but sometimes it would give me trouble. They tested the battery and some cells were dead so they had to replace it. I never looked at the green indicator for that one (don't even remember if it had one).
Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Suzuka Master

rdxm...Thanks for your message. I will try and look into more natural light to see if the green dot is visible. I have never had the RDX sit outside in cold weather, its mostly inside the garage all the time but I will say that I have never noticed any hesitation in starting or anything. As you said though, battery cells could be dead....next time, I'll have it checked at the dealer. I wish I could check the one on my TL but it involves removing the plastic cover over the battery and can't be bothered.

Thanks again for your post...
Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts

Not sure exactly what type of "charger" you are using, but, since your vehicles sit for long periods of time and the battery grows weaker....and then you throw on a "trickle charger" some hours before you want to start it.....that's not the best for the "cheaper type" batteries that the factories put in, or any battery for that matter. Meaning...the battery goes down...from sitting for long periods....then you apply a "charge" to bring it up to max.....so the battery is going through multiple stages of being "down" and then "up"....kinda like your sex life! Just kidding!! LOL!!

The better option...IF your cars sit for weeks sometimes...a charger/maintainer is better. Yes, they are more expensive but, better in the long run for your battery's health. Those that have car collections of vehicles they do drive at times all have the "maintainers" on their batteries. They keep the battery "up" and don't let it weaken by sitting for long periods. This is much better for the battery and give it longer life.

You never know about batteries though. The '12 Accord Cpe. V6 I had needed a new battery within a few months after buying it. Didn't meet specs when I had it checked at Honda and "my guy" actually put in a better Honda battery under warranty.

Also, check in to Optima batteries. Expensive but better. I don't know enough about them to really get into them here...but, again, many of the "collectors" tend to put in Optima batteries if they like driving their cars from time to time....they switch them out for "period correct" type batteries for car shows.....those are the serious guys.....and then put the Optima's back in after. They have no liquids....not a lead/acid battery.

Just ideas to think about. Weather....in your case I would get the battery "maintainers" for your cars. If it were me. They make models that can connect to more than one car. A man of your means can afford one!!! LOL!!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

For those that are in cold country for long periods of time I'd have the dealer do a "load and voltage" test of your battery...and if it's not up to norms then you can get a warrantied battery replacement. I lucked out on my previous Accord....my tech gave me a better battery....they are only obligated to give you the same battery that came from the factory. You could ask for a stronger one and ask to pay the difference.....that gives them the "option" of charging you the money or just "doing it" for no charge. Never know. Kinda depends on what kind of relationship you have already established with your Serv. Mgr. That was my 5th new Honda in 5 yrs with them. Cost would be fairly minimal. I never have trusted factory batteries that much. Yes, some folks will say..."why I had my factory battery for 40 years and it never failed me!" Fine....good for you....but, for the vast majority of factory batteries....they are not that great. How many cars made vs cost per battery....you'd get the best contract with a battery manufacturer you could....and they will not be selling you their best...for sure!!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Not sure exactly what type of "charger" you are using, but, since your vehicles sit for long periods of time and the battery grows weaker....and then you throw on a "trickle charger" some hours before you want to start it.....that's not the best for the "cheaper type" batteries that the factories put in, or any battery for that matter. Meaning...the battery goes down...from sitting for long periods....then you apply a "charge" to bring it up to max.....so the battery is going through multiple stages of being "down" and then "up"....kinda like your sex life! Just kidding!! LOL!!

The better option...IF your cars sit for weeks sometimes...a charger/maintainer is better. Yes, they are more expensive but, better in the long run for your battery's health. Those that have car collections of vehicles they do drive at times all have the "maintainers" on their batteries. They keep the battery "up" and don't let it weaken by sitting for long periods. This is much better for the battery and give it longer life.

You never know about batteries though. The '12 Accord Cpe. V6 I had needed a new battery within a few months after buying it. Didn't meet specs when I had it checked at Honda and "my guy" actually put in a better Honda battery under warranty.

Also, check in to Optima batteries. Expensive but better. I don't know enough about them to really get into them here...but, again, many of the "collectors" tend to put in Optima batteries if they like driving their cars from time to time....they switch them out for "period correct" type batteries for car shows.....those are the serious guys.....and then put the Optima's back in after. They have no liquids....not a lead/acid battery.

Just ideas to think about. Weather....in your case I would get the battery "maintainers" for your cars. If it were me. They make models that can connect to more than one car. A man of your means can afford one!!! LOL!!
Dear friend....Thanks for your thorough message and great advices. Please allow me to respond to your points, hope I will do a good job at touching on all of them....

1. I am using the CTEK3300 (trickle charger) that I leave both the TL and RDX connected to for long period of at time, which I think answers your first point and your last one (BTW....man of my means....too funny!)

2. With the time left on the trickle charger, usually, its for weeks at a time and not just for a couple of hours before I drive the vehicle. I appreciate what you are saying the multiple stages of the battery and being up and down all the time...like a sex life. I was soooooo happy to hear that good news...I have been waiting for a break in my sex life as I can't keep up anymore so its nice to see changes are coming (no pun intended) (lol)

3. I checked the battery when I came home in better lighting and the green dot is there but it is not what I call the most obvious green dot, compared to some better batteries. I think we ALL agree here that Acura batteries are the brand weakest link (IMHO)

4. As far as OPTIMA batteries, I am not sure if they are available here in the eastern portion of Canada but I'll keep them in mind should there is ever a need. I tend to keep my vehicles for short periods (2-3 years) so the Acura batteries should be fully covered. If I decide to keep either vehicle for longer, I'll certainly consider buying a replacement (non OEM) battery.

5. Here is what I have...this is the GREATEST little gizmo in the world....I would encourage everyone to get one....so easy and so well made.

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/

Again, thank you so kindly for your detailed message and great advice....
Old 02-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Dear friend....Thanks for your thorough message and great advices. Please allow me to respond to your points, hope I will do a good job at touching on all of them....

1. I am using the CTEK3300 (trickle charger) that I leave both the TL and RDX connected to for long period of at time, which I think answers your first point and your last one (BTW....man of my means....too funny!)

2. With the time left on the trickle charger, usually, its for weeks at a time and not just for a couple of hours before I drive the vehicle. I appreciate what you are saying the multiple stages of the battery and being up and down all the time...like a sex life. I was soooooo happy to hear that good news...I have been waiting for a break in my sex life as I can't keep up anymore so its nice to see changes are coming (no pun intended) (lol)

3. I checked the battery when I came home in better lighting and the green dot is there but it is not what I call the most obvious green dot, compared to some better batteries. I think we ALL agree here that Acura batteries are the brand weakest link (IMHO)

4. As far as OPTIMA batteries, I am not sure if they are available here in the eastern portion of Canada but I'll keep them in mind should there is ever a need. I tend to keep my vehicles for short periods (2-3 years) so the Acura batteries should be fully covered. If I decide to keep either vehicle for longer, I'll certainly consider buying a replacement (non OEM) battery.

5. Here is what I have...this is the GREATEST little gizmo in the world....I would encourage everyone to get one....so easy and so well made.

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/

Again, thank you so kindly for your detailed message and great advice....
Well..."Dear Friend".....didn't know I was one of those......I was going to look up the CTEK3300 before I wrote you and should have. I went off the wording you used in conjunction with it...."trickle charger." To me, going back a few years before the current charger/maintainers....trickle chargers were not maintainers. So, that is why I was trying to help.
I have since read up on the CTEK3300 and it seems pretty OK...not too expensive which surprised me. I have to read up on them even more. But, if they are doing the job for you then that is great.

I have also read some threads in the TSX section talking about batteries and many have had issues with the Optima batteries. Not sure....thought they were about as good as it gets when it comes to auto/industrial batteries. I've never owned one. Trade cars so often I haven't needed to look into them! LOL!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Sorry if my wording may have led to confusion....As you know, my first language is not English and occasionally I may chose poor wording. I appreciate you checking into it and the update on the Optima batteries. I will also add, if you ever can lay your hand on one of those little chargers, do yourself a favor. I got mine at half price on sale (Canadian Tire) and let me tell you, I love this little thing
Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Back to topic of my OP - I got the wheel balance and alignment checked and everything is good. Now off to Acura service for that subtle vibration.

Do you folks feel the vibration of engine when car is in drive mode but at a stop? I think it should be quiet for a new car but not so...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't feel it at a stop. Only the with VCM, in 5th gear, @ 40-60 kph.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ I am in the same situation as Mikejmack....
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Checked with Acura service....they say it is normal. Now I am wondering how come a car like this would have this as normal I had a hyundai with 140K and that did not have this subtle engine vibration. So i guess I have live with this till I own this car. This probably would be my first and last Acura then
The germans may have bad reliability but they drive really smooth. I am sorry I am disappointed and thus this rant....
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Unhappy A software fix can get rid of this vibration

Count me in as one of the unhappy campers not accepting the VCM vibration issue as “Normal specifications”.
That is totally unacceptable for a 40K vehicle and I urge Acura to come up with a software fix ASAP or this will be my FIRST/AND LAST Acura

ps: Did I mention that my rear shocks (maybe bushings) creak like an old lady in the morning. I hate that too!!!

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 04-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
this post
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=59

heres the thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=bolts
The following users liked this post:
mindanalyzer (04-11-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
..creak like an old lady in the morning. I hate that too!!!
You shouldn't hate old women that creak in the morning....
Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
You shouldn't hate old women that creak in the morning....
... Not really them but only the sound they make (Hopefully my mother does not read this)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 PM
6th Gear

oh
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
... Not really them but only the sound they make (Hopefully my mother does not read this)
You mean they do other sounds than fart?