Radio and Nav interface 2014 v 2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio and Nav interface 2014 v 2016

Wife went from a happy RX300 owner of 15 years to a 2014 RX350. She really, really hates it due to its larger size and the complicated armrest joystick. It takes so many steps to drill down the menus to set radio channels that she gave up and after 15 months, still wont even try to set a station (she gets to listen the my XM channels which I had preset).

I showed her a 2016 cpo Advance package RDX and she's in love. Kinda too expensive for us right now and there's a 2014 Tech CPO at the dealer next door to her work in the color she wants, and the selling price is exactly the same as the trade-in value of her RX350.

The biggest issue is whether the dual screen of the 2016 is that much better than the single Nav screen on the 2014. Would anybody upgrade their 2014/2015 to a 2016/2017 mainly because of the more ergonomic interface?
I know about most of the other changes between model years, but this is the issue which matters to us right now. Thanks if you can tell if us if the difference is that big of a deal.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon Z Dong
Wife went from a happy RX300 owner of 15 years to a 2014 RX350. She really, really hates it due to its larger size and the complicated armrest joystick. It takes so many steps to drill down the menus to set radio channels that she gave up and after 15 months, still wont even try to set a station (she gets to listen the my XM channels which I had preset).

I showed her a 2016 cpo Advance package RDX and she's in love. Kinda too expensive for us right now and there's a 2014 Tech CPO at the dealer next door to her work in the color she wants, and the selling price is exactly the same as the trade-in value of her RX350.

The biggest issue is whether the dual screen of the 2016 is that much better than the single Nav screen on the 2014. Would anybody upgrade their 2014/2015 to a 2016/2017 mainly because of the more ergonomic interface?
I know about most of the other changes between model years, but this is the issue which matters to us right now. Thanks if you can tell if us if the difference is that big of a deal.
We have both. I think the 17 dual screen is much easier than our 14 and it eliminates a lot of buttons. It's a cleaner dash and very easy to use.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I prefer the buttons. I have a 2013 Tech and the double screen is one reason I don't want to upgrade.

Gregg
Old 04-16-2017, 02:37 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by vbgregg
I may be in the minority, but I prefer the buttons. I have a 2013 Tech and the double screen is one reason I don't want to upgrade.

Gregg
That is exactly my sentiment too. I prefer the buttons to a touch screen. If I have a choice, I would like to have most other upgrades in the 2016 RDX added to my 2014 except the double screen.
Besides the touch screen, I believe every function in the infotainment system is virtually the same anyway. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. Physical buttons means no nested series of menus, and more intuitive.

I saw another thread regarding power liftgate differences between the '15 and '16. Smart key means my wife will never find her remote at the bottom of her purse, and therefore will have to open the hatch manually. There was only 2 priorities - ease of use to change settings on the car, and a power liftgate. Its only a half-functioning power liftgate if you have to find dig for your smart key, or go inside the car first and press a button. Not smart. It looks like it needs to be a '16, but those aren't discounting very quickly, not like other brands and models. Hard time finding a '16 Advance or Tech in Red. Looks like only 6 for sale in the entire U.S. ?
Old 04-17-2017, 09:11 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
You are right about the half functioning power lift gate for the pre facelift models. If you are standing near the tailgate, you cannot simply press a button on the rear end to open it. You will have to pull it for about a foot and then it opens automatically. It isn't that hard anyway but still I get your point.
I believe the 16+ models have a fully functional power lift gate. I'm glad you made your decision.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ans: imo...Yes. Go big if you can.
I carpool with a friend in a '15-tech and as we leave my driveway he always comments about poor resolution and screen size.
I like having a big bright upper screen in our '17 since its function is as a backup camera, navigation and vehicle menu screen.
The large screen came in handy for me when navigating Los Angeles traffic with layers of freeway flyovers and left exits.
Havent gotten used to using voice commands yet and it's still 50/50 touch or button but having the option to touch or press makes input easier.
I would consider the ease of phone interface between years as a high priority.

Much depends on your GF's use and your ride.
I view our RDX as a road trip vehicle...for my everyday dd I have an older truck and cars that I can get in and operate with mittens on...big reostat dials and knobs.

as far as the lift gate...my next car will be equipped with a wave your feet with hands full to open the hatch feature and since I only use iOS- apple CarPlay would be great also.

Last edited by Himecraig; 04-17-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
My son's ILX has the 2-screen setup, and my '15 RDX (and the wife's '15 TL) are both techs and have the buttons. Once you get used to the placement of the buttons on the pre-2-screen models, it's very easy to use and there is no nesting to worry about. I find I prefer the older design, and one of the things that I wouldn't look forward to in an upgrade is the 2-screen setup.

Given what the OP has stated about his wife's lack of patience or desire to play the "find the nested button" game, I believe a '14-'15 Tech model would be an excellent choice...

andy
Old 04-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
The dual screen is one of the reasons I went with the RDX over the CR-V - among many others. It's a nice setup.
The following users liked this post:
RockTheGlobe (04-18-2017)