Purchase another RDX or KIA Sorento?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 09:09 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchase another RDX or KIA Sorento?

We have a 2013 RDX and really like it. The lease on our TL is coming to an end, and we are going to get another SUV. We are having trouble deciding between getting a Sorento or another RDX. After reading reports (recent Consumer Reports auto issue) about both vehicles, we are having trouble deciding. Is there anyone else trying to decide between these 2 vehicles?
We have driven both, compared both, etc. Still stuck.
Anyone out there struggling with a choice between these 2 vehicles? How did you finally make a decision?
Old 03-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Are these two even comparable? An Acura compared to a Kia? Apples to prunes at least from a resale, style, performance and longevity standpoint. The dealership experience would be like comparing Nordstroms to Walmart.
Come on man, get a clue
Old 03-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you driven them both?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The trouble with buying a Kia is that you wind up with, well, a Kia.
The following 2 users liked this post by dirleton:
Comfy (03-13-2016), Gen4MDX (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dbarnhart
I have not driven the Sorrento, but have driven other Kia's and have ridden in some, they are not in the same league as an Acura or for that matter a Honda either. Like I said before Walmart vs a Macy's or Nordstrom.

I would not be cross shopping these two, but that is just me, OP is free to choose whatever they want with their money, just offering my opinion and experience with Kia which has been poor. They seem to pride themselves on making a cheap disposable vehicle which is quite the opposite of Honda or Acura.

It is also well documented that Honda spends a lot of money on R&D and safety, I think quite the opposite on cheap Korean brands.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dbarnhart

Perhaps you missed the "We have driven both, compared both, etc." part of the post?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

All cars are nice when brand new, it is what will stand the test of time and provide longevity, timeless style, performance, safety and resale, Honda wins in every category hands down IMO, which is why I would not consider many other brands.

And before you snipe at me driving a GMC, I didn't buy one, it is my Company car.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 10:53 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Modern Kia and Hyundai cars are quite nice and good value for the money - but - as the previous posts here show - they suffer from a poor reputation and therefore resale value sucks. Last year my son bought a two year old Genesis, loaded, certified for about $16k. They sticker at what? Mid 40's new?

Test drive a used Kia Sorrento to see how well they age and then make your decision.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
Perhaps you missed the "We have driven both, compared both, etc." part of the post?
I did miss it. I was visiting this forum way too early in the morning ;-)
Old 03-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
nothing wrong with buying a kia. if its short term try it. i wouldnt buy one longevity or if you hope to get good resale value in the future.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
Keep in mind this is an Acura forum and as such, there is bias towards the brand. The stuff posted about Kia in this thread alone is nothing but wrong. Kia has excellent crash ratings, they have excellent performance, you name it. This isn't the Kia from 2000. Next someone will say how much more reliable Acura is over Kia. Sadly, that's not true either.

Personally, I much prefer the styling of the Kia vs Acura. I really didn't like how Acura toned down the looks of the RDX after the first generation. Looks are subjective, I know.

The Kia will likely lose value a bit quicker because of stigmas that still exist today (just read through this thread again). However, if you're keeping the car long term, I don't see it being a big problem.

I myself always said I would never buy a Kia or Hyundai product, and I shit on them for years. Until I drove one. And ended up buying one for the wife. Almost 5 years later and 135,000km, we've had zero issues with the car, and it even has a turbo engine.
The following users liked this post:
hand-filer (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
I have a friend who just bought a Kia Sorento. I agree with the statement that it is not in the same league as an acura, but that is because I believe it is a much nicer car than my 2016 RDX. However, if you plan to keep it for the long run you will likely get a lesser return on it than you would an RDX.
The following 2 users liked this post by snorf:
hand-filer (03-13-2016), TacoBello (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 12:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
I have a friend who just bought a Kia Sorento. I agree with the statement that it is not in the same league as an acura, but that is because I believe it is a much nicer car than my 2016 RDX. However, if you plan to keep it for the long run you will likely get a lesser return on it than you would an RDX.
I'd run if I were you. There's gonna be some angry people here right away

OP, I think it speaks volumes when on an Acura forum, people are not solely recommending the Acura. I'm sure both cars are very good, each with their pluses and minuses. I think it might be worth making a pros and cons list for each and see which one wins.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TacoBello

OP, I think it speaks volumes when on an Acura forum, people are not solely recommending the Acura. I'm sure both cars are very good, each with their pluses and minuses. I think it might be worth making a pros and cons list for each and see which one wins.

Maybe you missed the "We have driven both, compared both, etc." part as well.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TacoBello

I assume he is looking for honest opinions and I'm just giving my honest opinion. He doesn't have to honor it.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
OP I owned a 2013 RDX and now own a 2016 Sorento.
If you want a good looking quiet comfortable riding CUV that really delivers the goods you should seriously consider the Sorento.

You'll get a mix of comments here ranging from honest opinions to elitist snob comments.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:06 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
All cars are nice when brand new, it is what will stand the test of time and provide longevity, timeless style, performance, safety and resale, Honda wins in every category hands down IMO, which is why I would not consider many other brands.

And before you snipe at me driving a GMC, I didn't buy one, it is my Company car.
Terrain, Acadia, or Yukon?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:02 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
All said and done, Kia doesn't win even with Honda. That's the reality. Everyone knows it, they just don't want to offend Kia owners. And that's why CRV sales are eclipsing Kia's. Just because there are some styling changes in recent models, it doesn't make them any better. The beauty is only skin deep and as already said before every car looks and feels nice when new. If you are not sure just test drive a 5-10 year old CRV and Kia together and you'l know what I mean.
Kia is commuter car and Acura is premium luxury. I don't understand why you are comparing these two particular cars only? There are a whole lot of nice cars/SUVs in between their price ranges, including but not limited to Subaru Forester, Ford edge, Mazda CX5, Rav 4, Jeep Cherokee, etc. Have you driven all of those? If you are spending upwards of $25000 you should test drive all of them extensively and reach an informed decision yourself. It's your money and none of us can tell you how to spend it. You should decide which car YOU are comfortable with.
If you are comparing only "named features" and price, then yes the Kia may be better than Acura. In fact that is their selling point.
All I can tell you that is .....yes sir, you did stir a hornet's nest.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Kia is commuter car and Acura is premium luxury.
Because they serve you premium coffee while you are there waiting to have your premium shocks replaced?

Originally Posted by Comfy
I don't understand why you are comparing these two particular cars only.
Maybe he's souring on the taste of Acura Kool-aid.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Kia and Hyundai are on the rise but not the same class. Have you looked at other SUV's like Q5, NX and CRV? Not equally but closer to the RDX than the Sorento. I own the 2016 RDX and I find the styling, comfort and reliabilty perfect. I could care less about resale since I know how reliable they are on the long run and hold their value. My points, look at other comparisons within your price range. You ca get features from the new CRV they even the new RDX does have (touring). Nothing wrong with leaving Acura. Good luck and let us know what you choose.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
Because they serve you premium coffee while you are there waiting to have your premium shocks replaced?

Maybe he's souring on the taste of Acura Kool-aid.
I think this thread is hilarious. I love all the snob responses from people who haven't even driven a kia or hyundai product in the last 6 years. Acuras are not luxury cars, they never ever have been. They are also doing a really shitty job of being "premium". The interior quality of the new sorento is MUCH higher than the rdx, like WAY nicer. It is way quieter, the ride is much better, and handles better too. It looks DECADES better too.

This is an Acura forum and most of you guys have already puchased an RDX, so of course you will be biased. That is fair. But don't sit there, spew a bunch of B.S and then act snobbish and offended because someone dared to have the audacity to compare an rdx to a kia sorento. If this was a range rover forum or a jaguar forum, maybe then I can understand all the butthurt. But it isn't, this is a dressed up Honda forum. The new 2016 rdx is a good car, it is not a bad car at all, but IMHO the sorento easily shits all over it.

Stay humble people.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:04 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I think this thread is hilarious. I love all the snob responses from people who haven't even driven a kia or hyundai product in the last 6 years. Acuras are not luxury cars, they never ever have been. They are also doing a really shitty job of being "premium". The interior quality of the new sorento is MUCH higher than the rdx, like WAY nicer. It is way quieter, the ride is much better, and handles better too. It looks DECADES better too.

This is an Acura forum and most of you guys have already puchased an RDX, so of course you will be biased. That is fair. But don't sit there, spew a bunch of B.S and then act snobbish and offended because someone dared to have the audacity to compare an rdx to a kia sorento. If this was a range rover forum or a jaguar forum, maybe then I can understand all the butthurt. But it isn't, this is a dressed up Honda forum. The new 2016 rdx is a good car, it is not a bad car at all, but IMHO the sorento easily shits all over it.

Stay humble people.
It does have nice features but it doesn't look as nice. Decades better no. But good for the price.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:38 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Stay humble people.

Regardless of quality, a large segment of the American public still feels that Korean cars are crap and that is reflected in the resale value.

That'll probably change when true crap cars from China start hitting our shores.

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
It does have nice features but it doesn't look as nice. Decades better no. But good for the price.
While appearances are subjective, objectively the quality in finishes and features are head and shoulders above Acura.

A fully optioned Sorrento stickers at $46k and includes the folding mirrors, height adjustable liftgate, rear AC, heated steering wheels and all of the toys except for LED headlights (HIDs instead) that everyone is about that is missing from the RDX.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
Looks are highly subjective, the rdx exterior is nicer looking, but the sorento interior IMHO looks decades ahead. I am talking about the top line sorento with the 2-tone ivory nappa leather or the red nappa leather.

Originally Posted by ceb
Regardless of quality, a large segment of the American public still feels that Korean cars are crap and that is reflected in the resale value.

That'll probably change when true crap cars from China start hitting our shores.

While appearances are subjective, objectively the quality in finishes and features are head and shoulders above Acura.

A fully optioned Sorrento stickers at $46k and includes the folding mirrors, height adjustable liftgate, rear AC, heated steering wheels and all of the toys except for LED headlights (HIDs instead) that everyone is about that is missing from the RDX.
No I agree with you completely, the perception of the korean brands is not that great (just like the japanese in the 90's). But in this case, perception does not equal reality. You are right, looks are completely subjective, just IMHO, the sorento interior (top trims) is much better looking and you are also right, head and shoulders above the Acura.

The sorento also has a panoramic sunroof, heated rear seats, around view camera and 14 way seats. Things that really should be on the rdx (you can get most of those on a nissan rogue).

Thanks for keeping it honest and straightforward like usual ceb.

Reasons like "because it is a kia, the Acura is better" and "honda has better reliability" (this is a 2016 model, how can you even tell reliability?) simply don't cut it. If your only valid argument is about branding, then that counts for shit really. Give the OP real arguments. Like if it had SH-AWD, I would have talked about that, if it had a better engine, I also would have mentioned that. If it had any features not available on the sorento (LKAS for example) I would mention that too. Gas mileage? Sure. Cargo room? Sure. But badge? If this was a range rover compared to a kia, then I would be butthurt too.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:47 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Looks are highly subjective, the rdx exterior is nicer looking, but the sorento interior IMHO looks decades ahead. I am talking about the top line sorento with the 2-tone ivory nappa leather or the red nappa leather.

No I agree with you completely, the perception of the korean brands is not that great (just like the japanese in the 90's). But in this case, perception does not equal reality. You are right, looks are completely subjective, just IMHO, the sorento interior (top trims) is much better looking and you are also right, head and shoulders above the Acura.

The sorento also has a panoramic sunroof, heated rear seats, around view camera and 14 way seats. Things that really should be on the rdx (you can get most of those on a nissan rogue).

Thanks for keeping it honest and straightforward like usual ceb.

Reasons like "because it is a kia, the Acura is better" and "honda has better reliability" (this is a 2016 model, how can you even tell reliability?) simply don't cut it. If your only valid argument is about branding, then that counts for shit really. Give the OP real arguments. Like if it had SH-AWD, I would have talked about that, if it had a better engine, I also would have mentioned that. If it had any features not available on the sorento (LKAS for example) I would mention that too. Gas mileage? Sure. Cargo room? Sure. But badge? If this was a range rover compared to a kia, then I would be butthurt too.
As far as features for $$, the Koreans have the others beat and the reliability is up there too - but the perception...

One of the guys in our office wanted a Genesis. Went to the Genesis store and drove out with a year old Equuis with under 2000 miles it for less than he would have paid for a new Genesis.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:10 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OP if you're looking to lease you'll find the Kia will probably cost more than the RDX based on residual value alone.
I test drove a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Ultimate as a possible "budget" option but they couldn't come close to what I ended up leasing the RDX for.
Not to mention, the Sorento is more aligned to the MDX in terms of size I would think.
But that being said, I wouldn't shy away from Korean cars in terms of safety and reliability. They've come a long way from the original Sportages and Excels. If you're looking to own I would read up on some long term reviews, not just of the Sorento but on any car.
Not to mention they usually throw in a slew of features in an effort to be more competitive i.e. heated and cooled seats, birds eye camera in the Santa Fe.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
As far as features for $$, the Koreans have the others beat and the reliability is up there too - but the perception...

One of the guys in our office wanted a Genesis. Went to the Genesis store and drove out with a year old Equuis with under 2000 miles it for less than he would have paid for a new Genesis.
No car is ever an investment. If you plan on a short term purchase, it would be wiser to purchase a honda/toyota product. Even A8's and 7 series vehicles lose like half their value in the first year. In fairness, the equus is like 5k more than the genesis new, so I would expect a year old equus to cost less than a new genesis lol.

But have you seen the new genesis or k900 (even cadenza)? Tell me the acura rlx is nicer? Not a chance. Just keeping it real here.

I really like the honest down to earth replies from some of you guys, it is nice to see on a biased forum.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:49 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

No car is ever an investment. If you plan on a short term purchase, it would be wiser to purchase a honda/toyota product. Even A8's and 7 series vehicles lose like half their value in the first year. In fairness, the equus is like 5k more than the genesis new, so I would expect a year old equus to cost less than a new genesis lol.

But have you seen the new genesis or k900 (even cadenza)? Tell me the acura rlx is nicer? Not a chance. Just keeping it real here.

I really like the honest down to earth replies from some of you guys, it is nice to see on a biased forum.
Where is rocky when you need him?
Old 03-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
He made a 3 day cameo about a month back. Hasn't been back since. Thank the lord.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
He had a romantic encounter with one of those "10s" that fell for the RDX. During that encounter, the "10" (aka beast) apparently rolled on top of him and crushed his ribcage. He is still in rehab.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by snorf
He had a romantic encounter with one of those "10s" that fell for the RDX. During that encounter, the "10" (aka beast) apparently rolled on top of him and crushed his ribcage. He is still in rehab.
So in other words, he accidentally left the rdx in neutral when he was making love to the tail pipes and it rolled over him down his driveway. So sad.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

^^careful what you wish for guys.....he might be waiting for any excuse to jump back in.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:35 PM
Racer

naaahhh.... His terrorizing days are over. When he was training to be a terrorist he burned his lips on a tailpipe while trying to blow up a lexus. He shouldn't be back.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kaputnik

^^careful what you wish for guys.....he might be waiting for any excuse to jump back in.
I don't know about snorf, but I sure as hell am not wishing him back! :wink:
Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 AM
Racer

I don't and won't miss him.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Bobz

I guess I'm old school but we did not even consider KIA, but compared Acura RDX to BMW X3 and Audi Q5 as well as Cadillac SRX and Volvo XC70. Acura won on value. My brother-n-law mentioned the KIA Sorrento to me yesterday and he is pretty knowledeable about cars. I also wonder about the KIA dealerships. Acura has always treated me well and have the Honda dealership. Our 04 TL is still running flawlessly so I give Acura high marks for reliability and also resale value, plus the dealership is closeby. As for looks, all SUV's are pretty unattractive. It is the nature of the beast. They are not sportscars obviously. Even today's coupes and sedans are pretty blah.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

We are facing the same situation as the original poster of this thread. Having a hard time picking the RDX or Kia Sorento. It's been about two years since the last post. Just wondering if the forum members have any new input in comparing the RDX vs Kia Sorento.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:07 AM
10th Gear

Wow, I thought this thread was dead!

OP here. Well after having owned the sorento for 2+ years now, I can tell you that the car has been okay, but the quality the dealership has been awful. Lots of issues dealing with the service and salespeople. Acura dealerships are much better on this. Our lease is coming to an end in March of 2019. We'll see what happens then.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greg Sturgill
OP here. Well after having owned the sorento for 2+ years now, I can tell you that the car has been okay, but the quality the dealership has been awful. Lots of issues dealing with the service and salespeople. Acura dealerships are much better on this. Our lease is coming to an end in March of 2019. We'll see what happens then.
Can you please give us more information on the issues in dealing with the service and salespeople.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Do you mean you have had issues with the car or just the service department? I am curious as to REAL LIFE experience as I have been a big Hyundai/KIA supporter but all you see on these forums is negative. How does it drive? Comfortable seats? Good stereo? MPG good? How is it holding up after 2 yrs? We have had lots of issues with our 16 RDX. Enough that I will not be buying another Acura anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Purchase another RDX or KIA Sorento?