Purchase another RDX or KIA Sorento?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I think this thread is hilarious. I love all the snob responses from people who haven't even driven a kia or hyundai product in the last 6 years. Acuras are not luxury cars, they never ever have been. They are also doing a really shitty job of being "premium". The interior quality of the new sorento is MUCH higher than the rdx, like WAY nicer. It is way quieter, the ride is much better, and handles better too. It looks DECADES better too.

This is an Acura forum and most of you guys have already puchased an RDX, so of course you will be biased. That is fair. But don't sit there, spew a bunch of B.S and then act snobbish and offended because someone dared to have the audacity to compare an rdx to a kia sorento. If this was a range rover forum or a jaguar forum, maybe then I can understand all the butthurt. But it isn't, this is a dressed up Honda forum. The new 2016 rdx is a good car, it is not a bad car at all, but IMHO the sorento easily shits all over it.

Stay humble people.
Well my two cents. The Sorento is a ripoff of the RDX/MDX but in the best possible way. It's a bit of a tweener, only slightly bigger than the RDX and has a third row, but not as big as an MDX. If you are comparing a 2nd gen RDX to a current Gen Sorento I would go Sorento 3.3L SX-L AWD (based on features) which is basically the same price as a RDX Advance AWD. You get a third row, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, folding mirrors, panoramic sunroof, Nappa leather, 10 way power adjustable drivers seat with 4 way power lumbar, 8 way adjustable passenger seat, around view monitor. However having visited a few Kia dealerships in the last 30 days in the NY Tri-State area I can easily say that the dealer experience is bellow satisfactory. Your typical salespeople who know nothing about the car, saying anything to get you to buy. I actually went to see the Stinger last month and the guy thought the 51% residual was an amazing deal and their $50K floor model had a scratch on the paint, curb rash, and dirty leather. Listen I like a value more than anyone but when I go to my local Acura dealer for maintenance (usually free with promo), I am not hounded to buy another car or do maintenance I don't need. I just get free coffee and a donut and just drool at the NSX they got on the floor. For all of you Kia snobs, I get it at the end of the day the residuals for these cars say all they have to (54% 36M/12K SX-L). Living in NY where $12 beer is considered cheap and there are high schools that charge $40K tuition a year for high school, everything is a status symbol. Maybe one day Kia becomes the new Acura, but for now as I drive passed the golf course or industrial parks I don't see Kia's but German cars and Acuras plastered with their kids schools bumper stickers (Cornell, Harvard, ect). Acura's seem to be the "value" option for the doctor who is on his 2nd marriage, has two kids in private school, and thinks the Mercedes GLS isn't worth it and decides to go for an MDX. Either way the Sorento's best selling feature is the third row. You get a car that is only slightly bigger than an RDX but you get the third row at a lower cost than a MDX. The MPG at 19/24 is a bit low and is less than a 2nd gen RDX and maybe that alone is reason to wait for the next refresh when Kia uses a turbo engine. Hey I am Korean and I would love to see the rise to Korean cars, but I love my RDX. In the end I think it comes down to money, like anything in life. Whatever you can get the best deal on and if you think you can utilize the third row.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Now if we are talking about third gen RDX versus Sorento, not a chance unless you get some amazing deal and need the third row.

If your picking between an Acura product with less features or a Kia with more features but at the same price point I would pick the Acura, not because of blind loyalty or snob factor but due to the fact that Acura's tend to keep their value so much better than Kias
Old 06-05-2018, 08:11 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From "Comfy"
"I don't understand why you are comparing these two particular cars only? There are a whole lot of nice cars/SUVs in between their price ranges, including but not limited to Subaru Forester, Ford edge, Mazda CX5, Rav 4, Jeep Cherokee, etc. Have you driven all of those?"

I am now looking at 2 others; the Highlander and the Pilot. And yes, I did look at many, many others too, before leasing the Sorento in 2016. But since I am both tall AND fat I am limited to what fits and is comfortable to me. So Mazdas, Nissans, Rav 4, CRV, Subarus are out. I have heard/read nothing but trouble with Jeeps. Not interested in cars anymore. Too hard getting in and out of.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:27 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Sturgill
From "Comfy"
"I don't understand why you are comparing these two particular cars only? There are a whole lot of nice cars/SUVs in between their price ranges, including but not limited to Subaru Forester, Ford edge, Mazda CX5, Rav 4, Jeep Cherokee, etc. Have you driven all of those?"

I am now looking at 2 others; the Highlander and the Pilot. And yes, I did look at many, many others too, before leasing the Sorento in 2016. But since I am both tall AND fat I am limited to what fits and is comfortable to me. So Mazdas, Nissans, Rav 4, CRV, Subarus are out. I have heard/read nothing but trouble with Jeeps. Not interested in cars anymore. Too hard getting in and out of.
wow. It’s been so long, I had actually forgotten that I had even posted in this thread. Saw my username mentioned.... ha.
Now the list of CUV and crossovers are expanding as every manufacturer is jumping in the fray.
yes of course you should get the one car which fits your body habitus best for greater comfort. I agree with you that the time of sedans are over and pretty soon they will become niche specific cars such as roadsters. Glad that you are considering the Highlander and Pilot. I’ve driven the pilot and it is a pretty awesome vehicle. Good luck with your choice.
I’m still enjoying my RDX. Since I’ve bought it I don’t have to worry about what to get next in two years. . To each their own.