Panic mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:00 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Panic mode

Can someone tell me how to disable the panic mode for the RDX. My friend needs to transport his car by cargo service and wants to know how to do that so that the alarm doesn't go off throughout the Transit and battery is dead on arrival. The manual gives only general information about panic mode but not how to disable it. Thanks for the information.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Can someone tell me how to disable the panic mode for the RDX. My friend needs to transport his car by cargo service and wants to know how to do that so that the alarm doesn't go off throughout the Transit and battery is dead on arrival. The manual gives only general information about panic mode but not how to disable it. Thanks for the information.
I know a lot of cars in the states have a switch in the glovebox to turn off the alarm and or air bag. Maybe check there. Otherwise it may have to be done manually, I.e unlock and load then lock again once it is loaded.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:35 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by RDX10
I know a lot of cars in the states have a switch in the glovebox to turn off the alarm and or air bag. Maybe check there. Otherwise it may have to be done manually, I.e unlock and load then lock again once it is loaded.
Thanks. I'll chaeck that. Can you explain the manual procedure again please. Do you mean locking the car using the metal key so that engine immobilizer is not engaged?
Old 04-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Can someone tell me how to disable the panic mode for the RDX. .
Do you mean the honking horn which is activated by the button on the key fob? Or are you asking about the alarm system which is triggered when a door is opened without first unlocking with the remote fob or using the metal key in the drivers door keyhole?

Neither of them should be going off any more frequently than they do at your friends house now. Certainly not the panic alarm, and I may be wrong, but I'm not aware that the alarm system has a vibration sensor, so there is no reason the alarm should go off any more frequently than it does now.

The engine immobilizer is a system that prevents the engine from being started by shorting out the ignition wires ( a common theft process in the old days), but it has nothing to do with any "panic alarms". And there is no way to bypass the immobilizer.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 04-08-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Thanks. I'll chaeck that. Can you explain the manual procedure again please. Do you mean locking the car using the metal key so that engine immobilizer is not engaged?
Ok so in a lot of cars (not all) when you lock the door from from the inside using the locks inside the doors (like literally manually push the locks closed and close the doors. It will be locked, however the alarm will not be active. The alarm is only activated by actually locking it using the keyfob or if with smart key using the buttons on the door handles).

The way you can test if the RDX works this way is to turn it on and open the windows, then lock it manually by pushing the locks closed with your hand and shut the doors. Then walk away from it. Now with the window open, reach in and try to open it with the door handle on the inside of the car but keep the fob away from it so the lock doesn't get affected by smart key. If it does not ring, it has a keyfob active alarm and if it does ring, then it is an always active alarm on lock.

Last edited by RDX10; 04-08-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:44 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Can someone tell me how to disable the panic mode for the RDX.
Disconnect the battery (negative) cable.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:29 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Thanks for all the information guys. Now as Rick said, if the RDX doesn't have a vibration sensor or the alarm is not going to be affected by transportation, then I'll tell him not to bother with anything. Disconnecting the battery is a great idea but not sure he would want to do that inside the confined space of the cargo compartment. But anyway I'll let him know of the options. Thanks all.