Paint Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paint Chip

So took my car in for a carwash today and noticed 2 circular shaped paint chip, one on each front door.

I am not saying it happened because of the carwash...but it's weird.

I am just wondering is the quality of acura paint shitty?

So disappointed to see this..only have had the car for 8 months with only 6500 miles
Old 02-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Sorry to hear about that. I understand that there are some advantages of removing the crap off the vehicles in the winter but I am so concerned about using car washes.

Any chance you could post pictures so we could see the extent of the damage? While I am not saying that other manufacturer's paint is fantastic....It ain't Acura's strength either. We can thank our over zealous friends of the environment for many of the steps backward we have taken. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go back to totally disrespect for the environment as in the 70's and 80's, however, like anything in life, teh pendulum always goes from one extreme to another....
The following users liked this post:
DealsAllTheWay (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Sorry to hear about that. I understand that there are some advantages of removing the crap off the vehicles in the winter but I am so concerned about using car washes.

Any chance you could post pictures so we could see the extent of the damage? While I am not saying that other manufacturer's paint is fantastic....It ain't Acura's strength either. We can thank our over zealous friends of the environment for many of the steps backward we have taken. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go back to totally disrespect for the environment as in the 70's and 80's, however, like anything in life, teh pendulum always goes from one extreme to another....
so you think it's possible because of a carwash?

I called the car wash and they said I can fill out an incident report and they will forward to their corporate...I am also going to take it to the dealership to see if they can do something about it..

I am upset/disappointed and hope I don't end up paying for the repair
Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Symmetrical damage at the car wash sounds like their equipment may be at fault, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
DealsAllTheWay (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
Symmetrical damage at the car wash sounds like their equipment may be at fault, IMO.
well, I have been reading a lot about paint chips from car wash places and it seems like it happens more often than one would imagine.

Now, how to prove is gonna be the battle....
Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Instructor

I have an appt with acura later today to see what they say about this issue...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thinkthe paint quality in Acura is medium. I have had a chevrolet and an Audi which have been by far the worst, and a volvo and a dodge which were just phenomenal. my RDX has a few chips already too.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
What kind of car wash? This is why I always go touchless (or wand wash) with my vehicles. Unless they're older cars & I don't care as much about the exterior, then I'll settle for the standard gas station wash.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stuhFAN
What kind of car wash? This is why I always go touchless (or wand wash) with my vehicles. Unless they're older cars & I don't care as much about the exterior, then I'll settle for the standard gas station wash.
it's got those soft wash clothes for wash..they go back n forth and spin..with touchless hot air dryers
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I did paint & body work for 20 yrs car washes suck they get all the sand in the sponges off the last car & drag it all over yours you should just get some sand paper & wash it with that.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmaxv8
I did paint & body work for 20 yrs car washes suck they get all the sand in the sponges off the last car & drag it all over yours you should just get some sand paper & wash it with that.
well, I took it acura and they said they would take care of it for free..I was all excited until I picked it up today...

They literally filled in the 2 spots with touch up paint...I still feel the chip when I run my finger over it.

I have a black rdx so if you're 3-4 feet away, you can't tell but if you get closer you can definitely tell the difference..

dmaxv8: do you have any "at home" suggestions on how to make them disappear?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
if you are handy you could get some 2000 grit sand paper & wet sand them till they are flush then use a fine rubbing compound then wax it. the touch up paint must b fully dry before you sand it if you can leave a mark in it with your finger nail I would wait till it gets harder I don't know what type of paint they used or how cold it is their.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmaxv8
if you are handy you could get some 2000 grit sand paper & wet sand them till they are flush then use a fine rubbing compound then wax it. the touch up paint must b fully dry before you sand it if you can leave a mark in it with your finger nail I would wait till it gets harder I don't know what type of paint they used or how cold it is their.
I have a feeling I might mess it up..I called Acura and they said to make it "completely disappear" they would need to do more work then just touch up paint and estimate about $200 per door...

I am not ready to spend $400

Would you suggest taking to Maaco? Somebody said they will take care of it for $100
Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
DON'T take your new car to Maaco.

Sorry the car has paint chips, but with time it'll get a few more just on the front end.

Take it to a shop or to a skilled detailer that might be able to help you out. go buy yourself that little bottle of touch up paint and take it to them. sometimes PDR guys are able to touch up paint chips as well.

you want crappy paint...the orange peel in Audi's is astounding (BMW can look pretty "orange peelie" as well) and GM is horrible on all fronts based on what i've seen.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by DealsAllTheWay
I have a feeling I might mess it up..I called Acura and they said to make it "completely disappear" they would need to do more work then just touch up paint and estimate about $200 per door...

I am not ready to spend $400

Would you suggest taking to Maaco? Somebody said they will take care of it for $100
http://www.langka.com/

This product works surprisingly well but it depends on the depth of the chip. If the chip is small it will take all the paint out. If it is larger you can 'dissolve' the paint repair flush to the surface. I let the paint dry completely before I use it.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
http://www.langka.com/

This product works surprisingly well but it depends on the depth of the chip. If the chip is small it will take all the paint out. If it is larger you can 'dissolve' the paint repair flush to the surface. I let the paint dry completely before I use it.
that video looks pretty good...have you personally used it?

I have a black RDX and the chip must be deep because I can see off white color
Old 02-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My bitdefender says this website has malware??