Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Paddle Shifters

I just did a quick trial of the paddle shifter. Everything worked as expected when I put the shift lever in "S". BUT, after the little trial, I put the shift lever back in
"D". After a couple of miles, I pressed the "-" paddle and it shifted to 3rd gear. In fact the paddles shifted up or down with no complaints. I think it reverted to "D" when the gear I was in matched what "D" wanted. I guess this is normal?

Jim
Old 05-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Jim...The paddles work both while in D and in S with the following difference:

When in D: The transmission will shift automatically as intended. Pulling the + or - on the paddle will allow you to manually change gear as desired however, after about 5 seconds, if you don't touch the paddles again, it will revert back to automatic. This feature is useful when you want to do a passing maneuver and would like a quick downshift or if you want to use a little of engine compression when coming to a stop.

When in S: As you know, putting the transmission in S mode will mean that you transmission will still shift automatically except it will hold its gear a little bit longer and give more spirited acceleration but will come at the expense of fuel efficiency. Now while in S mode, if you pull on your paddle (+ or -) will then put your transmission in a full paddle mode and will not shift unless you pull the paddle. Now there is some protection software to reduce doing any damage should you forget to up shift and yoru engine would be approaching the redline. The same thing for downshifting, it will not allow you to downshift if it senses that the RPM would be too high and do any damage to your engine.

Hope this helps....once you get used to the paddles, they can add alot of enjoyment to the driving experience
Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey weatherman,

Thanks for the clarification!

Maybe I should red the manual?

Regards, Jim
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62
Thanks for the clarification!

Maybe I should red the manual?

Regards, Jim
NO PROBLEM That is what we are here for, to help each other out
Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Since I dont' have my RDX yet....I do have a '12 Accord Cpe...with the same engine and paddle shifting system. The actual paddles are the same. Hey they all come off the Honda parts bins. Anyway...when in "S" mine must be paddle shifted up or down and you have to watch the engine rpm redline to shift in time to get the best acceleration results. The Honda engines rev very quickly when they get past about 3,000 rpms. I redlined mine a couple of times...and the computer has a rev limiter and that starts shutting down fuel. And, guess what...it works!! LOL!
In "D" I can down and up shift with the paddles. But, it doesn't time out. If you are still on the gas it stays in the gear you put it in. Depending on the road you're on....whether going up hill, down hill, or level will determine when it goes back to full automatic mode.
I will test the RDX to see if it's the same as my Honda. It is fun when you get the shift points down just right using the paddles. It's not really for cruising around town in traffic. Not that much fun then. The Honda systems shift pretty well, considering they are not the sophisticated kind of trannies that are in exotic cars. Those trannies are "just waiting" for your next paddle move....in a milisecond they shift....since many are a double clutch auto systems. Even the single clutch systems are very fast. The Honda's are quick, but, not "super car quick."
Old 06-05-2012, 03:27 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
When in D: The transmission will shift automatically as intended. Pulling the + or - on the paddle will allow you to manually change gear as desired however, after about 5 seconds, if you don't touch the paddles again, it will revert back to automatic.
Thanks for the info I wish most vehicles were this intuitive with their semi-manual modes.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Rather than quote all the lengthy info in the Owner's Manual....I would highly suggest all those with operational questions....read the manual! It's all there...with pictures and everything!! LOL!

Seriously...many times...people...and I'm included, fail to read these new manuals completely. There is a reason the new RDX Operational Manual is well over 300 pages! And the Tech. Manual is over 200 pages. Man, these vehicles have "lots of stuff" on them and I bet most owners don't have a clue about some of the things that are contained in the manual and thus what the RDX can or cannot do.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hope they come up with an update for the tranny...the delay between upshift/downshit using the paddles and when the transmission actually does it is plain ridiculous and annoying...honda could take a lesson from BMW/Audi..heck even lexus in this field.