Our KeyFobs are Trash...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:38 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Our KeyFobs are Trash...

Ok so we bought nice cars, but the MDX got a way better fob... some of us that have the remote start option have TWO Fobs

Since i do basically nothing at work, i'm going to try and fix it

First i've found all the replacement parts for your scratched and abused keyfob

For those that want to "refresh" your keyfob with some brand new parts
Here is the list...

72148-TX4-A01 TOP of Fob $18.28
72149-TK4-A71 Lower RDX Fob w/ Driver 1 $20.63
72149-TK4-A81 Lower RDX Fob w/ Driver 2 $20.63
35112-TK4-A01 Removeable Key Cap $14.90

After that is done i'll be getting an MDX keyfob and working on putting our internals into that and seeing how it turns out
It looks like all the internals line up so i'd just have to figure out the key part.

Hope this is helpful for us that are anal.
Sad we have to do this on new cars!!
Attached Thumbnails Our KeyFobs are Trash...-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Type X; 06-19-2014 at 11:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ottoman101 (06-23-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't have an MDX, so it's not clear to me what is better about the MDX key fob. The main thing I've heard about is the silver paint getting scratched easily on the RDX key fob. Are there other issues? Can you elaborate? Thanks,

Gregg
Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 PM
OG

Originally Posted by vbgregg
I don't have an MDX, so it's not clear to me what is better about the MDX key fob. The main thing I've heard about is the silver paint getting scratched easily on the RDX key fob. Are there other issues? Can you elaborate? Thanks,

Gregg
Just a little more durable (no cheap paint)
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/2014-3g-acura-mdx-key-fobs-%2A%2A%2Alike-new%2A%2A%2A-901579/
Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My dad recently got a 2014 civic, the fob looks similar to the MDX one, I don't know why Acura still keeps the cheap fob even for 2015 rdx.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry I don't have the link but there were rubber FOB covers available that I ordered and swear by. I think they cost $5 including shipping. Yes it's dumb that we have to pay anything but I'd rather pay $5 than getting a new FOB.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 PM
OG

Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
Sorry I don't have the link but there were rubber FOB covers available that I ordered and swear by. I think they cost $5 including shipping. Yes it's dumb that we have to pay anything but I'd rather pay $5 than getting a new FOB.
I bought those a while ago, don't fit well
Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Thats a great idea!

Ill have to check back on this thread once you've finished the project. Ill be next in line to replace my keyfob. Im already on keyfob #2.

Until then, for others, Id suggest the leather cover over the rubber/silicon ones. I always thought those just looked cheap.

I plan on handing the cover over to my friends mom to restitch it in grey or black. Not a fan of red accenting.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm rough on keys but the RDX key is ridiculous. First day I got my RDX I dropped both keys because I had just taken it home and didn't separate the keys yet

The one for the MDX is a lot nicer, I feel that the shiny part on the back will get worn over time..
Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Same thing with 4G TL key fob. Mine looks like cr@p after 1 year. The MDX one is much better.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please tell us how he MDX shell works out. I got a loaner MDX and didn't want to give it back because of the key...not really... Just everything... BSM, LKAS, jewel eye, the two screens... Lol the point is, please help us. Did I forget? SH-AWD!!!
Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It's funny you posted this thread. Just last week I started thinking of getting silver nail polish or something and repainting it. It's just so embarrassing to take out of my pocket looking like it does.

I wonder if it's possible to have an MDX key fob programed for an RDX?
Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Wow, the MDX fob is way nicer.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
I was thinking about the MDX keyfob a while ago. If only I know someone in the dealership that can test if they programmable to the RDX.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm not so much a detail guy; but has anyone tried to buff off the remaining 'chrome' to leave a black fob? I might consider digging around to find the rotary high-speed tool and a polishing attachment.

I shelved the idea of the spray-on bed-liner as a fix
Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I was at a party last weekend and met a couple of people that were really nice. We hit if off talking about our local pro basketball team and other mundane stuff. Great couple. That was until I saw their key fob. It had a scratch on it and the edges were a little worn. Boy, was I fooled that they were classy people. Nobody should walk around with that eyesore and it just indicated to me that they were not the type of people that I want to hang with. LOL!

Come on, these are keyfobs which spend(when not laying on a kitchen table at home) 99% of the time in our pockets or purses. And when they are out in the open it is usually momentary. Is resale value at stake? Do you think anyone else really cares what your keyfob looks like? I totally understand keeping things nice and new looking as possible but to a point. I have had my RDX for almost two years and my keyfob is actually in pretty good shape. Maybe I'm a little more careful with it than the average person but I just don't see the big problem.

Please don't take me wrong....to each his own and I wish you the best in your search for protecting your keyfob from unsightly blemishes and I agree that if it bothers a lot of people Acura should upgrade it. Another reason I'm not interested in covers and such is that I really don't want to add any more bulk/weight to my pocket than is absolutely necessary. I apologize in advance if I hurt anyone's feelings and fully realize that I haven't added much to the "fix" here but just wanted to add a little perspective and second opinion.
The following 4 users liked this post by geocord:
5 Acuras (06-25-2014), Acura_Dude (06-26-2014), ARascal (05-11-2017), stuhFAN (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Pro

geo, you are the VERY type who doesn't wipe off the top of the rear bumper after a car wash!!!

Turn in your fob forthwith, if not sooner!!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:34 PM
OG

Originally Posted by ottoman101
It's funny you posted this thread. Just last week I started thinking of getting silver nail polish or something and repainting it. It's just so embarrassing to take out of my pocket looking like it does.

I wonder if it's possible to have an MDX key fob programed for an RDX?
I thought about stripping the silver and plasti dipping, i thought about redoing the silver then i was like let me just redo the new pieces lol

The MDX key fob is next in the que, new parts came in today and looks good as brand newt
Attached Thumbnails Our KeyFobs are Trash...-image-2.jpeg   Our KeyFobs are Trash...-image-3.jpeg   Our KeyFobs are Trash...-image-4.jpeg   Our KeyFobs are Trash...-image-6.jpeg   Our KeyFobs are Trash...-image.jpeg  

Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by geocord
I was at a party last weekend and met a couple of people that were really nice. We hit if off talking about our local pro basketball team and other mundane stuff. Great couple. That was until I saw their key fob. It had a scratch on it and the edges were a little worn. Boy, was I fooled that they were classy people. Nobody should walk around with that eyesore and it just indicated to me that they were not the type of people that I want to hang with. LOL!

Come on, these are keyfobs which spend(when not laying on a kitchen table at home) 99% of the time in our pockets or purses. And when they are out in the open it is usually momentary. Is resale value at stake? Do you think anyone else really cares what your keyfob looks like? I totally understand keeping things nice and new looking as possible but to a point. I have had my RDX for almost two years and my keyfob is actually in pretty good shape. Maybe I'm a little more careful with it than the average person but I just don't see the big problem.

Please don't take me wrong....to each his own and I wish you the best in your search for protecting your keyfob from unsightly blemishes and I agree that if it bothers a lot of people Acura should upgrade it. Another reason I'm not interested in covers and such is that I really don't want to add any more bulk/weight to my pocket than is absolutely necessary. I apologize in advance if I hurt anyone's feelings and fully realize that I haven't added much to the "fix" here but just wanted to add a little perspective and second opinion.
While you are right that this is a nitpicky issue, the RDX fob is cheap and should be updated like the MDX's as the silver paint does rub off. That or just keep it all black so this does not happen.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 PM
OG

Originally Posted by CoachRick
I'm not so much a detail guy; but has anyone tried to buff off the remaining 'chrome' to leave a black fob? I might consider digging around to find the rotary high-speed tool and a polishing attachment.

I shelved the idea of the spray-on bed-liner as a fix
Its dull grey underneath, not black
Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachRick
geo, you are the VERY type who doesn't wipe off the top of the rear bumper after a car wash!!!

Turn in your fob forthwith, if not sooner!!!!
You are right Carnac the magnificent. For real. Good one!

Last edited by geocord; 06-24-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by geocord

That was funny. But I do like nice key fobs (the slimmer the better).
Old 06-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
not a huge deal that the key fob is a POS. but the rate in which my decent key fob turned to POS status is indeed embarrassing. Not for me, but for Acura and whoever the genius was that designed it.
My thoughts and prayers go out to well made key fobs all over the world. May you never suffer such a tragic fate.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kirkland715
not a huge deal that the key fob is a POS. but the rate in which my decent key fob turned to POS status is indeed embarrassing. Not for me, but for Acura and whoever the genius was that designed it.
My thoughts and prayers go out to well made key fobs all over the world. May you never suffer such a tragic fate.
Seems strange when Acura manufacturers a nice reliable fairly high quality vehicle and missed the boat on the FOB.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Seems strange when Acura manufacturers a nice reliable fairly high quality vehicle and missed the boat on the FOB.
Indeed...are they STILL missing the boat? Are the new fobs just as bad?
Old 06-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Thats a great idea!

Ill have to check back on this thread once you've finished the project. Ill be next in line to replace my keyfob. Im already on keyfob #2.

Until then, for others, Id suggest the leather cover over the rubber/silicon ones. I always thought those just looked cheap.

I plan on handing the cover over to my friends mom to restitch it in grey or black. Not a fan of red accenting.
Hi, where did you get these? I'd like to order a pair for me. Actually two sets because I own two RDX's
Old 06-26-2014, 05:30 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
What I think Acura should do, is replace the silver/painted pieces of the keyfob with chrome, or stainless steel metal. That would be a classy feel/look. Just typing my thoughts out after reading this thread.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Acc20yrs,
You can get them off ebay. they are listed for TL/ZDX/etc. but pretty much the same key.
BTW, this doesn't have the Acura Logo on the back, I don't know why but I couldn't find those.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Leather-Remote-Key-Chain-Holder-Case-Cover-Fob-for-Acura-MDX-ZDX-RL-TL-/230824629221?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item35be3853e5&vxp=mtr
Also if you're interested, the colorful silicon ones,
http://www.high-end-motorsports.com/...luMQrb_GHw_wcB
The following users liked this post:
Acc20yrs (06-30-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
^that same link is the only one I can find on ebay today.
They have sold 175 and have more than 10 available so I dont think theyll run out anytime soon.

I love mine. The button sometimes gets caught in my pocket, but I also wear tapered cuts so Im sure anyone with straight or relaxed fit wont have that issue.

Also, as you can see in the ad the button is black. Mine wore off to silver. But its a nice uniform silver that looks better than the black because it matches the rest of the silver in the buckle area.

The leather (if it is real leather, for 5 bucks I doubt it but it says genuine leather) looks good still after a lot of use. I dont have to take my keys out of pocket to start my car but I have to use them for work everyday multiple times a day going in and out of my pocket. Its lasting like a champ.

Last edited by usdmJON; 06-27-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcucaDude
Acc20yrs,
You can get them off ebay. they are listed for TL/ZDX/etc. but pretty much the same key.
BTW, this doesn't have the Acura Logo on the back, I don't know why but I couldn't find those.
Genuine Leather Remote Key Chain Holder Case Cover Fob for Acura MDX ZDX RL TL | eBay

Also if you're interested, the colorful silicon ones,
http://www.high-end-motorsports.com/...luMQrb_GHw_wcB
I just ordered two of them, thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=AcucaDude;15063240]Acc20yrs,

I got my two FOBs covers a week ago and so far I'm satisfied. They do have the Acura logo on the back. Thanks again!