Our '17...the not so good the bad the ugly

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Our '17...the not so good the bad the ugly

Warning: my rant page
Finally got a chance to wring out our '17-RDX advance!

-on a long drive all the seats are very comfortable...
The vented front seats worked good enough, around town I could hear the fan motor pushing air on the high setting.
I sort of hoped the seat back had some passive ventilation also.

-the ac fan actually blew quite hard in front on the first bar 103* temps at highway speeds.

-The driver assist worked as expected but I felt nervous next to those temporary concrete barriers pushed right up to the lane marking with abrupt lane changes due to road construction.

-For my taste the handling at brisk speeds was not as crisp as my German rollers (older Passat and C-class or previous Jeep GC).
the height and width I noticed but the other drivers didn't mind.

-wish the advance package included folding mirriors.

-couldn't find a plug to charge my phone in the back seat!..that is a first world crime.

-engaging the seat belt for the middle rear passenger needs Houdini like skill...
and what's up with the instructions saying to use a key to disengage this seatbelt when this car is keyless/and not having anything that will fit is F*kin crazy!

My sons commented this is a car designed and built in America and lacks the refinement of Japanese ergonomics we're so used to in our Hondas (accord prelude).

More thoughts on the way home especially the nav and phone interface after spending a week with family in downtown LA.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 AM
Instructor

-The audible rear hatch warning is probably irritating to our neighbors when we check in our vrbo late at night.

-The cargo space is very good for 4-adults on a 1-week trip.

-Our average range has been 320ish miles with a 11.3ish fill up. I thought just ok.
We had a '13 5-series loaded and averaged 42mpg on the same highway back then...gearing gearing gearing.

-around town the voice command prompt works about 75% of the time for me.
the other time spent is me shouting in the Whole Foods lot 'west 6th'...did you say Essex ?...no west sixth...did you say...'
the good is being able to cancel route and program while on the fly...something I couldn't do without stopping in an earlier friends Lexus.

-I can only get the remote start to work 25% of the time and as I get closer the car must think 'just get in stupid'.
Perhaps I need more practice because after I get in I haven't learned how to just go- or can it...The minute I get in and step on the brake it shuts down.
I think it's more of a preheating function.
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (10-01-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Himecraig
Warning: my rant page
Finally got a chance to wring out our '17-RDX advance!

-on a long drive all the seats are very comfortable...
The vented front seats worked good enough, around town I could hear the fan motor pushing air on the high setting.
I sort of hoped the seat back had some passive ventilation also.

-the ac fan actually blew quite hard in front on the first bar 103* temps at highway speeds.

-The driver assist worked as expected but I felt nervous next to those temporary concrete barriers pushed right up to the lane marking with abrupt lane changes due to road construction.

-For my taste the handling at brisk speeds was not as crisp as my German rollers (older Passat and C-class or previous Jeep GC).
the height and width I noticed but the other drivers didn't mind.

-wish the advance package included folding mirriors.

-couldn't find a plug to charge my phone in the back seat!..that is a first world crime.

-engaging the seat belt for the middle rear passenger needs Houdini like skill...
and what's up with the instructions saying to use a key to disengage this seatbelt when this car is keyless/and not having anything that will fit is F*kin crazy!

My sons commented this is a car designed and built in America and lacks the refinement of Japanese ergonomics we're so used to in our Hondas (accord prelude).

More thoughts on the way home especially the nav and phone interface after spending a week with family in downtown LA.
refinement of the accord or prelude? not sure if the accord or the prelude were ever lauded for their "refinement"

middle rear seat belt release just use the end of the other belt, the clip fits right into that small slot to release the second clip. very simple and easy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nexx:
Acc20yrs (10-31-2016), Himecraig (10-02-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
refinement of the accord or prelude? not sure if the accord or the prelude were ever lauded for their "refinement"
ergonomics fool.
Himecraig (10-02-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
ergonomics fool.
ok dick
Old 09-29-2016, 10:57 AM

^lol, fool is just slang.. like....i'm not calling you a dick or anything.
fool is pretty prevalent down here in the south. it doesnt mean you are a fool.

plus, you're the one who mis-read OP. :wink:

Last edited by justnspace; 09-29-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
^lol, fool is just slang.. like....i'm not calling you a dick or anything.
fool is pretty prevalent down here in the south. it doesnt mean you are a fool.

plus, you're the one who mis-read OP. :wink:
dick in texas means "wise one"
Old 09-29-2016, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nexx
dick in texas means "wise one"
anyway, back on topic
Old 09-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
-The audible rear hatch warning is probably irritating to our neighbors when we check in our vrbo late at night.

-The cargo space is very good for 4-adults on a 1-week trip.

-Our average range has been 320ish miles with a 11.3ish fill up. I thought just ok.
We had a '13 5-series loaded and averaged 42mpg on the same highway back then...gearing gearing gearing.

-around town the voice command prompt works about 75% of the time for me.
the other time spent is me shouting in the Whole Foods lot 'west 6th'...did you say Essex ?...no west sixth...did you say...'
the good is being able to cancel route and program while on the fly...something I couldn't do without stopping in an earlier friends Lexus.

-I can only get the remote start to work 25% of the time and as I get closer the car must think 'just get in stupid'.
Perhaps I need more practice because after I get in I haven't learned how to just go- or can it...The minute I get in and step on the brake it shuts down.
For the remote start. When you get in, do not press the brakes, instead press the push button start button and then press the brakes. The brakes turning off the car is a safety mechanism preventing someone from stealing it because the shifter requires pressing the brakes to shift out of park.

As for your other issues, honestly that stuff should have been painfully evident in a test drive so you should have taken an extended test drive.
Himecraig (10-02-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Instructor

^thanks for all the info! Kudos!
Eh, wife's car and she likes it so that's what matters

we liked the crv and gla (ran real hot on our half day test), passed on the BMW jaguar and Volvo because of sticker shock...didn't look at Jeep or any Korean offerings...maybe should of idk.
in the end she wanted a V6 so here we are.

Much like how I find long term road tests informative, I thought I'd toss out thoughts off the top of my head...pointing out nagging issues that a new rdx shopper might miss also.

-I wish I considered a lease since technology is changing so rapidly much like our phones.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
The Advance doesn't come with motorized fold up mirrors?
The Elite up in Canada does... What else is different in the Canadian models?

There is also a power outlet in the storage box between the front seats. Maybe you can charge your phone from there.

The rear hatch warning is loud. I wonder if you can disable it somehow???

We just picked up or 17 and for the first hour or so I thought there was something wrong with the car because I was hearing a strange whirring sound.
It ended up being the front seat coolers both going at full blast...^#%$&^%@#
Old 09-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Instructor

yep your elite is different than the us advance...seems a bit more cold weather prepared. Thanks friend, I'll look between the seats. My lowly Passat has 12v outlets in the rear and even in the rear hatch. Everyday I have to teach myself something new.

-wish the rdx had a decent key fob holder...
iirc a slot in the dash like a lowly rental Nissan would be nice.
Im using the cupped driver door handle until it drops to the ground while in the snow or mud.

Last edited by Himecraig; 09-29-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:39 PM
Instructor

-no mood lighting, small but nice detail.
makes the trip pleasant.
flying Virgin Atlantic was the first time I noticed that this was a design with purpose,
Most German lux rides now feature cabin mood lighting.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
-no mood lighting, small but nice detail.
makes the trip pleasant.
flying Virgin Atlantic was the first time I noticed that this was a design with purpose,
Most German lux rides now feature cabin mood lighting.
Really? The 2017 doesn't have some sort of cool ambient lighting? I had a 2016 loaner a couple weeks ago but didnt drive it at night. My 2008 has that blueish-purple night light shining over the center console area. I love it!

I also thought the 2016 seats were comfy, but missed the more deeply bolstered style of the 1G.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Instructor

^I honestly haven't noticed cabin lighting 'yet' and might be interpreting as none...point is on other cars made me go owww and ahhh.
I especially find handy opera style lights over the rear seats.
I'll try and remember to check all that out.

-still can't find any type of dimmer switch for the dash lights. Lol grrrr where can it be?

-the seats are fine for long drives.
Big lazy boy theatre style...no noticeable bolster around the body whatsoever.
Not a bad thing since the older I've gotten the more I want a cushy ride. American highways dictates seats designed for ride comfort.
My F-150 lariat eats up highway miles because of a similar feeling seat design combined with a huge vehicle footprint. That package has pedals that can adjust in or out to the driver. Lately I've noticed my legs are too short for my arms when driving the rdx.

When we initially set out looking at sedans I kept asking 'does the driver side have thigh extenders' (I thought that was a great feature on the BMW).
The gla has...which kept it in the running but our test model ran so hot after a half day of driving the twisties near our home (couldn't even touch the hood hot). The MB dealer didn't seem to care since this model is like a greeting card in their supermarket.

Last edited by Himecraig; 09-30-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Dash light dimmer control is right on the guage cluster near the fuel gauge.
I had to find it the other day too...
Himecraig (10-02-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
^I honestly haven't noticed cabin lighting 'yet' and might be interpreting as none...point is on other cars made me go owww and ahhh.
I especially find handy opera style lights over the rear seats.
I'll try and remember to check all that out.

-still can't find any type of dimmer switch for the dash lights. Lol grrrr where can it be?

-the seats are fine for long drives.
Big lazy boy theatre style...no noticeable bolster around the body whatsoever.
Not a bad thing since the older I've gotten the more I want a cushy ride. American highways dictates seats designed for ride comfort.
My F-150 lariat eats up highway miles because of a similar feeling seat design combined with a huge vehicle footprint. That package has pedals that can adjust in or out to the driver. Lately I've noticed my legs are too short for my arms when driving the rdx.

When we initially set out looking at sedans I kept asking 'does the driver side have thigh extenders' (I thought that was a great feature on the BMW).
The gla has...which kept it in the running but our test model ran so hot after a half day of driving the twisties near our home (couldn't even touch the hood hot). The MB dealer didn't seem to care since this model is like a greeting card in their supermarket.
Like the member above me said, the dash dimming knob is on the gauge cluster sbove the fuel gauge. It is literally a black plastic 1.5 inch long stick that sticks out of the dash cluster. Not sure if it is of the twist or the push variety.
Himecraig (10-02-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Instructor

^ thanks guys!

-Speaking of that area...gonna go out and try to figure out how to properly display and easily switch between;
trip>distance to empty>current trip>odometer>trip time>rest of the icons and words>idiot lights
Currently the A and B trip display is not intuitive for me yet...I want to settle on distance to empty and have right below the trip miles driven,

Long before technology I used to weekend drive with British car enthusiasts where we'd have to navigate by mileage and time and all try to end up at a destination...so fun!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:49 PM
Advanced

The lower display is set by the SEL/RESET button on the steering wheel. I spent a good 5-10 min trying to find out how to display the mileage instead of the trip A or B distance... Page 29 of the manual.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Manual?...what's that
Yep. I'm so stoopid. 5-10 minutes tweaking the system and finding the stalk in the dash was the ticket. I choose to manually reset the trip and automatic reset after refuel.

-how to listen to ebooks from my iPhone and other content is next.

if I can figure out in 5-10 minutes how to create a hotspot, pull up video content like an espn game on an iPad and push that audio thru the rdx sound system....big plus. Going to start at the USB connection.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Great review, I enjoy how you write!
Sounds like an overall good experience with the vehicle.
Himecraig (10-02-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Instructor

^ I am enjoying this new whip!
i rarely buy any car new (wife's car right) but I needed to embrace the latest tech safety features.

-back up camera. no more straining to look over my arthritic neck.

-near to autonomous driving. Lane keep, braking, parking sensors all will prevent mishaps.

-wish the rdx had that 'hands free' hatch or door opening feature. The commercials make it look so handy and useful.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Instructor

-enjoying the lane keep and brake assist technology. Noted the speed set limited out at 90.

-surprising not so great mpg and range...263miles with 53range took 12.8gals (6hrs on I-5 avg speed 78mph)
I thought maybe caused by the adaptive brake settings.
Rdx was constantly running thru the gears to maintain speed and distance...if I feathered the pedals prob could of gotten better mpgs.
Set at 85mph noted tach approx hovered around 2200 and 3200 when passing. I'll pay more attention to this on next drive.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:24 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
-enjoying the lane keep and brake assist technology. Noted the speed set limited out at 90. -surprising not so great mpg and range...263miles with 53range took 12.8gals (6hrs on I-5 avg speed 78mph) I thought maybe caused by the adaptive brake settings. Rdx was constantly running thru the gears to maintain speed and distance...if I feathered the pedals prob could of gotten better mpgs. Set at 85mph noted tach approx hovered around 2200 and 3200 when passing. I'll pay more attention to this on next drive.
The gas mileage was not that great in the beginning for me too. But now it has improved a lot. Now I get approx 400 miles for a tank if driven straight highway. It'll make some difference depending on the grade of fuel you use too.
Himecraig (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Instructor

-could not be any happier with the oem rdx floor and cargo mats.
I never knew...really catches all kinds of stuff that could grind into the carpet.

-And a big plus for the oem rear bumper appliqué. (Wasn't that difficult to install...YouTube helped)
i noticed it is much thicker mm-wise than the 3m type generic cut to fit that seems to be used at aftermarket install shops.

Last edited by Himecraig; 10-03-2016 at 02:19 PM.
justnspace (10-25-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Don't hold the door lock button in too long. Just a quick press and wait for the green answerback. I had trouble getting mine to work until I figured that part of it out.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Really? The 2017 doesn't have some sort of cool ambient lighting? I had a 2016 loaner a couple weeks ago but didnt drive it at night. My 2008 has that blueish-purple night light shining over the center console area. I love it!

I also thought the 2016 seats were comfy, but missed the more deeply bolstered style of the 1G.
'17 is same as '16 with the ambient lights from the roof down to the center console. I think he means ambient lights as they have on some other high end brands. I loved the Q7 with it ambient light strips on the door panels and foot wells.
Attached Thumbnails Our '17...the not so good the bad the ugly-user786_pic838_1285491511.jpg  
Himecraig (10-11-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I love just about everything with my '16 RDX Advance except the extremely annoying loud hatch beep when opening and closing. It's bad enough when opening and even more annoying when closing. There's got to be a way to silence that thing?
Old 10-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Instructor

-learned how to send a text after receiving one. I looked at the upper screen and the voice prompt person icon was there.
Totally hands free operation. Voice command prompt for text and say send.
was moving at the time but I tried to recreate a send text and couldn't while on the fly.

Speaking of which...being slightly distracted and driving during 'rush hour' I had a chance to pound the brakes really hard in stop and go.
-the anti lock brake action was unlike any I've experienced before. Not pulsating but more like drifting into a gravel pit.
Very pleased and should work well if needed.

I didn't really understand the Acura pub:
Performance Braking
Since performance driving requires precision braking, the RDX features a firm pedal feel with linear response and is backed by 4-channel anti-lock brakes, Electronic Brake Distribution and Brake Assist systems.
  • The RDX fills its 18-inch wheels with large 12.3-inch ventilated discs in the front and 12.0-inch solid discs in the rear, which resist brake fade even after continuous hard use.
  • Electronic Brake Distribution uses the anti-lock brake sensors to determine the proportion of brake force to be channeled to each wheel for increased performance and stability.

Last edited by Himecraig; 10-11-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Remote power folding mirrors- cool idea done on a cr-v:

I am thinking of replacing my aging wagon for a used cr-v but was reading the advance publicity for the new cr-v and the very impressive list of features that I wish our 'loaded' RDX had:
-power folding mirrors.
-ambient lighting...led interior mood lighting.
-rear hatch hands free open sensor.
Aside:
-Honda installing passenger power seats and still retaining rear seats that recline.
-the big deal was over the volume knob for the audio being brought back.

Last edited by Himecraig; 10-25-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I am amazed at the gushing over a volume knob......Nice that the RDX has one; however, I use the steering wheel controls and rarely notice the knob is missing on my '17 Ridgeline....

When I look at the pics of the'17 CR-V, they seemed to have dumped it in on the bottom left and putt a whole bunch of useless space above it. Just looks out of place compared to the location of the know on the RDX...
Old 10-26-2016, 08:03 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I am thinking of replacing my aging wagon for a used cr-v but was reading the advance publicity for the new cr-v and the very impressive list of features that I wish our 'loaded' RDX had:
-power folding mirrors.
-ambient lighting...led interior mood lighting.
-rear hatch hands free open sensor.
Aside:
-Honda installing passenger power seats and still retaining rear seats that recline.
The Canadian version of the RDX has power folding side mirrors and heated rear seats(the ELITE version anyway). Cost cutting done for us US guys....

I am sure the next gen RDX will have ambient lighting, hands free rear hatch and likely the power folding mirrors. For some reason Acura is not given all the toys they should get when compared to lower line Honda's though..
Old 10-28-2016, 08:16 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
I miss the power folding mirrors that I had on the RLX. I have to watch the mirror entering and leaving my garage. I am getting good highway mileage with the '17 RDX - 30+. I am overall positive so far with the RDX. A few dislikes: annoying tailgate beeps, outside chrome trim rings reflect in the outside mirrors,, excessive downshifting in hilly areas. ( I have been using S in those areas lately )
Old 10-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by R. White
A few dislikes: annoying tailgate beeps, outside chrome trim rings reflect in the outside mirrors,,
We have that chrome ring from the ventilation system reflect on the window/mirror area...I was thinking it was the additional ceramic window tinting they put on. Do you have additional tint on the front windows, too?
Old 10-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Doobiewah
We have that chrome ring from the ventilation system reflect on the window/mirror area...I was thinking it was the additional ceramic window tinting they put on. Do you have additional tint on the front windows, too?
No extra tint - not legal here in Massachusetts.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Doobiewah
Same issue with reflections here, too. Had them both before and after having the windows tinted. It's actually worse after, as the darker window makes the reflection stand out more.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Odd reflection

Originally Posted by jcross1231
Same issue with reflections here, too. Had them both before and after having the windows tinted. It's actually worse after, as the darker window makes the reflection stand out more.
that's what I thought would happen with darker tint also.

another member had their dealer install black escutcheons found on non-advance units. My buddy's 15-tech RDX has no reflections with the black rings.

-learned how to listen to my free downloaded audiobooks from my library thru the USB
Having unlimited data is a good thing...
with free pandora and free audiobooks xm radio no matter what the cost is not an option

Last edited by Himecraig; 10-28-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:33 PM
Touring

Odd reflection

another member had their dealer install black escutcheons found on non-advance units. My buddy's 15-tech RDX has no reflections with the black rings.
Beats my idea of putting black electrical tape on them.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jcross1231
This reflection is a safety issue and , in my opinion, should be corrected by Acura.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by R. White
This reflection is a safety issue and , in my opinion, should be corrected by Acura.
I agree. Honda really needs to figure out what a luxury vehicle is. The RDX is really great, but there are a lot of niggling little lapses that show they don't quite "get it".

Quick Reply: Our '17...the not so good the bad the ugly