AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   Oil Change on a 2016 RDX (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/oil-change-2016-rdx-977442/)

Anovice 02-24-2019 08:08 PM

Oil Change on a 2016 RDX

In December, I purhcased a 2016 CPO RDX. It now has 39,500 miles. The maintenance minder is saying that I have 60% left, but I think the car was sitting on the lot for a few months. I figure by this point the oil has been in the car for 4, 5 or 6 months and I would like to get it changed, by a good friend who owns his shop. I have no idea what type of oil is currenly in the RDX.

I would appreciate getting some thoughts. I put on less than 10,000 miles per year.

1. Regular (fossil Premium-Grade "SL") motor oil?
2. Synthetic Blend?
3. Full Synthetic?
4. Brand?
5. Weight

I believe the manual specifies 0w-20 and 4.5 quarts and with the filter change, 4.76 quarts.

On the related, which brand of oil filter do you recommend so I can pick one up.

Anything other information that I can pass onto the mechanic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anovice

NBP04TL4ME 02-24-2019 09:52 PM

We have a 2016 RDX Advance and have used Honda/Acura filters (OEM) and believe the 0W-20 was only available in Synthetic form. It could be that it is now available in regular dino form. The mechanic I use has been using Mobil 1 synthetic.
Just Google'd 0W-20 and found this - this Note the label says recommended for most Hondas and Toyotas.

Hope this helps.

Anovice 02-25-2019 04:28 AM

Helps very much, thanks!

Isn't Mobil 1 Synthetic all the same regardless if it says "Recommended for most Hondas and Toyotas" on the container?

The container is 5 quarts, so it looks like 1 will do including the filter change.

Regarding the filter, I assume that I can pick one up at a Honda or Acura dealership. A Honda one is probably less expensive. Alternatively, I can pick up a few online. Is there a particular good place online where people on this forum purchase Acura parts and supplies?

Thanks again,

Anovice

Tech 02-25-2019 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Anovice (Post 16388535)
Regarding the filter, I assume that I can pick one up at a Honda or Acura dealership. A Honda one is probably less expensive.

They are both the same filter and labelled "Honda".

When I buy a used car, I always at least check all the fluid levels and I usually change them. You have the automatic, transfer case and rear wheel drive.

Oil...I get my jug at Walmart...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d61ed516ae.jpg

fcostantini 02-25-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Anovice (Post 16388535)
Helps very much, thanks!

Isn't Mobil 1 Synthetic all the same regardless if it says "Recommended for most Hondas and Toyotas" on the container?

The container is 5 quarts, so it looks like 1 will do including the filter change.

Regarding the filter, I assume that I can pick one up at a Honda or Acura dealership. A Honda one is probably less expensive. Alternatively, I can pick up a few online. Is there a particular good place online where people on this forum purchase Acura parts and supplies?

Thanks again,

Anovice

To try and summarize some information for you:
1) The 0W-20 oils I have seen are either Synthetic Blend or full Synthetic. I stick with the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance. It is relatively inexpensive at Walmart.com and/or Amazon. I think the Mobil bottle says "Recommended for most Hondas and Toyotas" on the container because they were the first large auto makers to switch to using 0W-20.
2) Honda makes two different oil filters for your car. The 15400-PLM-A01 is the better one, made by Filtech. It is as good as many premium aftermarket filters, and available on Amazon. The 15400-PLM-A02 is a lower quality filter made by Fram. When buying on-line, make sure you get the A01; some sellers will substitute the A02 without telling you. I hear that most dealers use the cheaper A02 filter.
3) By now with 39K miles, your car should have had the Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case and Rear Differential fluid changed based on typical Maintenance Minder trip points. If 2WD, then just the Transmission fluid. If you don't have the prior owner's maintenance records, you may want to have your friend go ahead and replace all those fluids as well. Cheap insurance. I've had best luck with the OEM ATF, Honda's DW-1. Some folks like other brands.
4) With only putting 10K miles a year on the car, be sure to replace the engine oil every year even if the Maintenance Minder says that the oil still has life left.
5) If changing the oil before the Maintenance Minder says to, be sure to reset the Minder and observe any other codes it provides.

Enjoy your new (to you) car!

Frank

NBP04TL4ME 02-25-2019 02:41 PM

I didn't know about the two differing oil filters mentioned above, but other than that I agree with what Frank has typed out. Our RDX is at 54K on the odometer and have had both the tranny fluid and rear diff fluid swapped out twice using OEM fluids. As a CPO and if it was serviced at the dealer you purchased from, they may be able to share the service history/records with you. Then you will have a better idea on where you stand and when you might be due next. If you can't get that info - changing out these fluids will be cheap insurance and peace of mind.
In terms of the Honda and Toyota on the Mobil - 1 bottle, I'm sure it like Frank mentioned and obviously a marketing ploy.

Anovice 02-25-2019 04:58 PM

Frank et al., thanks much for the great and needed information. It is obvious that I know little about this stuff and an stuggling a bit. I am trying to stay away from the Acura dealer for cost reasons. The car was not serviced where I purchased it, so the service records are sketchy at best.

I think with a little more knowledge I will be good to go.

1) This RDX came off lease and I am guessing that synthetic oil was not used. No problem going from a fossil motor oil to a full synthetic?
2) I do want to have the Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case and Rear Differential fluid changed (the RDX is an AWD).
3) I saw at Walmart the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic "Advanced Fuel Economy For many GM, Hondas, Nissan and Toyotas" 0W-20 and "Extended Performace HIGH MILEAGE FORMULA 15,000 Miles of Guaranteed Protection" 0W-20 for engines over 75,000 miles. However, I did not see the one Acura posted. Now what?
4) I am comfortable with Frank's explanation on the filter.
5) I am totally lost on the Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case and Rear Differential fluid! Frank mentioned " OEM ATF, Honda's DW-1.". Is this for all three? Where can I purchase this?
6) I am confident in the mechanic. But do most mechanics know how to change the Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case and Rear Differential fluid on an Acura RDX? Or, should I have him do the oil change and go to the Acura dealer for the Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case and Rear Differential fluid change? Is going to a Honda dealership an option, where possibly I can save a bit?

Thanks!
Anovice

NBP04TL4ME 02-25-2019 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Anovice (Post 16388980)
Frank et al., thanks much for the great and needed information. It is obvious that I know little about this stuff and an stuggling a bit. I am trying to stay away from the Acura dealer for cost reasons. The car was not serviced where I purchased it, so the service records are sketchy at best.

I think with a little more knowledge I will be good to go.

1) This RDX came off lease and I am guessing that synthetic oil was not used. No problem going from a fossil motor oil to a full synthetic?
2) I do want to have the Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case and Rear Differential fluid changed (the RDX is an AWD).
3) I saw at Walmart the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic "Advanced Fuel Economy For many GM, Hondas, Nissan and Toyotas" 0W-20 and "Extended Performace HIGH MILEAGE FORMULA 15,000 Miles of Guaranteed Protection" 0W-20 for engines over 75,000 miles. However, I did not see the one Acura posted. Now what?
4) I am comfortable with Frank's explanation on the filter.
5) I am totally lost on the Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case and Rear Differential fluid! Frank mentioned " OEM ATF, Honda's DW-1.". Is this for all three? Where can I purchase this?
6) I am confident in the mechanic. But do most mechanics know how to change the Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case and Rear Differential fluid on an Acura RDX? Or, should I have him do the oil change and go to the Acura dealer for the Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case and Rear Differential fluid change? Is going to a Honda dealership an option, where possibly I can save a bit?

Thanks!
Anovice

1) Not a problem switching back and forth but like I said above 0W - 20 is only available in Synthetic or Synthetic blend so it likely Synthetic has been used.
2) :thumbsup:
3) I will let others answer, but doubting there is THAT much difference between the formulas and seeing you are only doing 10K / year, I'm not sure if will make a big difference.
4) :thumbsup:
5) Honda's OEM ATM (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is called DW-1 . The rear differential fluid is different - can't recall off the top of my head (my mechanic takes care of all of this)
6) Can't specifically comment for your shop on this. A reputable shop with good mechanics should be able to do this regardless of make or model. Honda dealer is absolutely a cheaper viable option. Labor rates are less and parts are less. After all it is a Honda. Just keep in mind a Honda dealer cannot do warranty work (they won't get reimbursed) and there may be some unique parts that they don't have or can't get. If they are part of a larger dealership group that has an Acura store - they may be able to get the unique parts for you. What you are looking to have done in terms of maintenance in this thread a Honda dealer should be able to do no problem.

snorf 02-26-2019 06:56 AM

My 2 cents - if you are only changing oil annually I would suggest you use synthetic oil. As to the transmission fluid, I would suggest you either purchase the DW-1 (honda/acura) transmission fluid on your own (through the dealer or amazon) and take it with you to have it put in OR if you opt not to purchase it on your own I would suggest you be physically present when the transmission fluid is changed and make sure that DW-1 is put in the transmission. I wouldn't trust anyone else to purchase it because they want to make a few extra bucks in the deal and will buy cheaper (non-honda/acura ATF). Honda (your RDX has a honda engine and transmission) has a very long (and well-deserved) bad reputation for transmissions. IF DW-1 is not put in the transmission you will probably begin experiencing transmission problems in 5 to 10,000 miles. As to the rear differential I would also suggest you go synthetic (not much additional cost) as it will probably last the lifetime of your RDX without ever needing to be changed again. Best of luck to you.

Anovice 02-26-2019 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by snorf (Post 16389151)
My 2 cents - if you are only changing oil annually I would suggest you use synthetic oil. As to the transmission fluid, I would suggest you either purchase the DW-1 (honda/acura) transmission fluid on your own (through the dealer or amazon) and take it with you to have it put in OR if you opt not to purchase it on your own I would suggest you be physically present when the transmission fluid is changed and make sure that DW-1 is put in the transmission. I wouldn't trust anyone else to purchase it because they want to make a few extra bucks in the deal and will buy cheaper (non-honda/acura ATF). Honda (your RDX has a honda engine and transmission) has a very long (and well-deserved) bad reputation for transmissions. IF DW-1 is not put in the transmission you will probably begin experiencing transmission problems in 5 to 10,000 miles. As to the rear differential I would also suggest you go synthetic (not much additional cost) as it will probably last the lifetime of your RDX without ever needing to be changed again. Best of luck to you.

Engine = Mobil 1 0W-20 full synthetic.
Transmission Fluid = DW-1.
Transfer Case = ?
Rear Differential = what type of synthetic?

Thanks,
Anovice

fcostantini 02-26-2019 09:32 AM

Engine = Mobil 1 0W-20 full synthetic. 4.7 quarts per change
Transmission Fluid = DW-1. 4 quarts for a drain and refill.
Transfer Case = Honda 08200-9014 Hypoid Gear Oil Hgo-1 Gl-5 75W-85, less than 1 quart needed per change (I think the Acura part number for the same thing is 08200-9014A)
Rear Differential = Acura All-Wheel Drive DPSF Fluid, 08200-9007A 1.5 quarts per change (I think the Honda part number for the same thing is 08200-9007)

You should be able to get all this on Amazon.
You should also buy new crush washers for each of the drain and fill bolts involved with each of the fluid changes. The Acura parts desk can help with that. Some sellers on amazon package the washers with the fluids.

While you are at it, get a new engine air filter and cabin air filter. Again, the Acura parts desk can help with that.

Good luck,
Frank

captainh00k 02-27-2019 06:09 AM

Also recently purchased a CPO with limited maintenance records. With past Honda’s, I always followed the maintenance minder for fluid changes. What are the average miles for transmission, rear diff and transfer? The RDX is at 32k so I doubt the transmission fluid was called to be changed yet by the maintenance minder. The rear diff should’ve been changed at least once already, but will probably change again for piece of mind.

Tech 02-27-2019 08:38 AM

As far as the A01 and A02 oil filter debate goes, I ran my 1999 Honda CR-V since I bought it new on the Honda (Honeywell) oil filter. I believe that is the so-called cheaper one with the cardboard ends. I did ALL the oil changes.

I drove it for 245,000 kms (over 152K miles) and it has been in the hands of a friend with over 300,000 kms (over 186K miles). Oil changes were between 6K and 8K miles with no oil consumption running on Mobil 5W-30.

Both of the following oil filters are for the one of my vehicles. Guess which one I used based on construction.

Mahle...
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d7f7aba0eb.jpg

FRAM...
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...af341403d0.jpg

NBP04TL4ME 02-27-2019 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by captainh00k (Post 16389824)
Also recently purchased a CPO with limited maintenance records. With past Honda’s, I always followed the maintenance minder for fluid changes. What are the average miles for transmission, rear diff and transfer? The RDX is at 32k so I doubt the transmission fluid was called to be changed yet by the maintenance minder. The rear diff should’ve been changed at least once already, but will probably change again for piece of mind.

Our RDX has 54K on the odometer and tranny and rear diff fluids have been replaced twice based on the Maintenance Minder. I would have to look at the paperwork but believe if first came up around 27K and just before 50K. "3" is what calls out for this service - see below

Maintenance Minder 3 6 Speed Automatic AWD with Advance Package - Recommended service:
  • Replace transmission and transfer fluid*
  • * Not available on all models
  • Independent of the Maintenance Minder information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
  • Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).
  • Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.

markAZ 02-27-2019 10:27 AM

Our RDX called for trans fluid change at just under 30k miles. I was a bit skeptical about such a short interval but it did make a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the shifts. Even my wife noticed. :)

egads 02-28-2019 12:42 AM

All Honda automatics have required regular trans fluid changes forever. Every 30k should be considered minimum. That "normal drain & refill" only replaces approx 1/3 of the fluid. Honda has had issues with the automatics they built to mate with their V-6s. The one in the 2016-2018 RDX is the best they have ever made, but still requires regular fluid changes.

Anovice 02-28-2019 07:39 PM

I had a thorough discussion with the service manager at the dealer today and from their records determined the maintenance that was done while the RDX was in their hands. Of course, we can't be sure what should have been done prior. Based on this they sent me an email including this:

The services we feel you might need are as follows:
Brake fluid flush $140.00
Transmission Service $145.00
Rear Differential Service $95.00
In prior posts, I do not recall a brake fluid flush coming up. Is this really something that should be done or is the dealer trying to sell me a service?

I will get the transmission and rear differential service done. $145 and $95 seems expensive (I will also play it safe and get the oil changed). I hope my mechanic can change the transmission fluid.

Anovice

fcostantini 02-28-2019 08:04 PM

Acura/Honda owners manual calls out a brake fluid flush every three years, so the dealer is just following that. Personally, I don’t do that until I change the brake pads, which for me is typically four years.

NBP04TL4ME 02-28-2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by fcostantini (Post 16391026)
Acura/Honda owners manual calls out a brake fluid flush every three years, so the dealer is just following that. Personally, I don’t do that until I change the brake pads, which for me is typically four years.

:agree:

Tech 02-28-2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Anovice (Post 16391012)
In prior posts, I do not recall a brake fluid flush coming up. Is this really something that should be done or is the dealer trying to sell me a service?

Anovice

Are you capable of doing any of this yourself? For a lot less than the price they are charging, you could buy a Motive Products Power Bleeder and fluid and do it yourself.

The advantages are:

1) Your calipers will never seize. The original calipers and wheel cylinder are still in my almost 20 year old Honda CR-V that my friend now owns.

2) Your brake bleeders won't seize since they are opened up every few years. I also smear some grease around the threads.

Your choice. Of course if the dealer does it, you can only hope they actually flush the system instead of sucking out the fluid from the reservoir and refilling it.

Anovice 03-01-2019 05:25 AM

What type of break fluid and how much?

Thanks!

Anovice

Anovice 03-01-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by fcostantini (Post 16391026)

In the email from the dealer, part of the work done to make the RDX a CPO was:

Replace front brake pads and resurface rotors
Replace rear brake pads and resurface rotors

Why they did not do a break fluid flush at the same time I do not know. I assume to save money.

Anovice

snorf 03-01-2019 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Anovice (Post 16388467)
In December, I purhcased a 2016 CPO RDX. It now has 39,500 miles. The maintenance minder is saying that I have 60% left, but I think the car was sitting on the lot for a few months. I figure by this point the oil has been in the car for 4, 5 or 6 months and I would like to get it changed, by a good friend who owns his shop. I have no idea what type of oil is currenly in the RDX.

I would appreciate getting some thoughts. I put on less than 10,000 miles per year.

1. Regular (fossil Premium-Grade "SL") motor oil?
2. Synthetic Blend?
3. Full Synthetic?
4. Brand?
5. Weight

I believe the manual specifies 0w-20 and 4.5 quarts and with the filter change, 4.76 quarts.

On the related, which brand of oil filter do you recommend so I can pick one up.

Anything other information that I can pass onto the mechanic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anovice

After rereading your initial post (above) I see that it is a good friend of yours who owns his own shop who will be doing this for you. I would suggest that if he is a good friend - and I assume you trust him - I would simply explain your concerns and have him do what is best for you. I think that would be the safest and best thing for you to do.

Gadgetjq 03-01-2019 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Anovice (Post 16388467)

1. Check your owner's manual. All synthetic oils meet the recommended standard. Blends 'probably' do too but check the labels to be sure.
2. Under 10k miles/year you'll likely be on an annual oil change schedule (no matter what the oil minder says) unless you do a lot of stop and go then change will be sooner.
3. Genuine Honda oil filters are available online. Think I paid $4.50 on eBay for my last one. Don't know what dealers charge.
4. DO IT YOURSELF! All you need is a container that will slide under the car to collect old oil (if you don't have one get a good one...it'll last the rest of your life), a filter remover (Channel Locks work great) to remove the old filter, a funnel, a new oil pan bolt gasket (get a bag of em for about $5 online) and probably some paper towels.
Loosen the oil pan bolt and let the old oil drain completely. Put a new gasket on the bolt and replace. Turn the steering wheel to the right as far as it'll go and you'll see the filter just inside the front of the right tire. Remove and replace the filter. Reset the oil minder per your manual. You're good for another year and you don't owe your buddy for any favors.

Cheers!

Base2014RDX 03-03-2019 08:01 PM

Since your mechanic friend is doing your maintenance, why do you even need to do such extensive research? All these fluid changes are really basic stuff for a trained mechanic.

Anovice 03-04-2019 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Base2014RDX (Post 16392267)
Since your mechanic friend is doing your maintenance, why do you even need to do such extensive research?

Uhh....maybe because I would like to learn for next time.

Is that a novel concept?

egads 03-04-2019 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Base2014RDX (Post 16392267)
Since your mechanic friend is doing your maintenance, why do you even need to do such extensive research? All these fluid changes are really basic stuff for a trained mechanic.

I would think that, because it's a friend and not the dealer, one would want to know what is the correct thing to do. His "friend" may not work on Honda/Acura daily. They are or can be unique. Frequent transmission fluid changes for example.

russianDude 03-05-2019 09:21 PM

Or you can use Pennzoil platinum 0w-20.... Mobil1 is not magic

Anovice 03-06-2019 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by egads (Post 16392816)
I would think that, because it's a friend and not the dealer, one would want to know what is the correct thing to do. His "friend" may not work on Honda/Acura daily. They are or can be unique. Frequent transmission fluid changes for example.

A case in point came up just yesterday. Last month the dealer mentioned changing the Transfer Case Fluid when doing the Rear Differential Service. My friend had never mentioned that and said he would look it up.

So another question. What is the Transfer Case Fluid?

Thanks,

Anovice

egads 03-06-2019 02:10 PM

That unit senses front wheel slip and automatically transfers power to the rear wheels. The system in this generation is simpler than the SH-AWD that was in the 1st gen and the latest gen.

Anovice 03-06-2019 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by egads (Post 16393795)
That unit senses front wheel slip and automatically transfers power to the rear wheels. The system in this generation is simpler than the SH-AWD that was in the 1st gen and the latest gen.

Thanks for the operational explanation. However, what I am looking for is the type of fluid.

Anovice

egads 03-06-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Anovice (Post 16393829)
Thanks for the operational explanation. However, what I am looking for is the type of fluid.

Anovice

See post # 11 above.

Anovice 03-06-2019 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by egads (Post 16393834)
See post # 11 above.

Thanks, I missed it!

Anovice

Anovice 03-10-2019 04:35 PM

I am seeing a Honda oil filter with the part number 16400-RTA-003 (Mahle Tennex).

Does anyone know how the quality differs from the 15400-PLM-A01 made by Filtech and the lower quality 15400-PLM-A02 made by Fram?

Thanks,
Anovice

chickdr 03-19-2019 11:54 PM

You are really getting into this. I am sure most/all of this info you want can be found on a Google search rather than waiting for answers here... Use Honda/Acura branded stuff when possible (all is available at your dealer, or online) except engine oil as any 0w20 full synthetic will do. The only thing I will add since you are new to the RDX is I strongly recommend a transmission fluid change every 30k as the transmission is not known for its smoothness. Fluid changes can help. Search for "transmission judder in 2013-2018 RDX" if you want more info.