OEM trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OEM trailer hitch

Does anyone have any pics of an installed trailer hitch for the RDX?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I can try and get one this weekend, what angle are you looking for and do you care if something is in the receiver?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Intermediate

I would greatly appreciate that. Not at all. I am looking to see how much it sticks out (side view) and how noticable it is from the back. I'm thinking the OEM hitch will look better than an aftermarket one. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by mbm0420; 08-15-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Racer

it's not all all obtrusive, will stick out a bunch with the hitch step that I have installed, but they did a nice job. Supposed to rain this weekend, will do my best on a photo.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Racer

Got a couple of shots...size limits on the attachments is driving me nuts...what do people use to re-size photos from a digital camera?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
sculldog...Are you using photobucket? I find its the best site for loading pics here.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
I would love to see those pics. I am on the fence of getting this accessory
Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Racer

Will look to post, mostly no time.

Mine was dealer installed, very neat, unobrusive if nothing is in it, very handy obviously when in use. Seems like somewhat a no brainer since while you won't maybe use it daily, it's great when you need it...and this is an SUV/CUV..so utility is the name of the game and the hitch allows this... I'm looking to pick up the cargo tray that uses a 1 1/4 receiver, no immediate needs, but handy for Home Depot runs, trips, etc.

I also got the harness and all, and with the dealer install, get the warranty as well, as many on the site have noted. Using a step hitch now with an LED light, so the harness is handy.

Will look to photobucket the pics tonight and post.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2013 RDX and purchased the Draw-Tite from Etrailer.com. Cost was about $165 with a savings coupon and it took about 15 minutes to install. Bolts to the frame in four spots. The nice thing is the only part that shows is the 2" receiver. All cross bars, mounts, etc. are behind the rear facia and do not show. It has a 4000 lb rating and a 2" receiver which I use for my Thule bike rack. I donb't tow a trailer so no need for the factoy wire harness, and I thought the cost of the Acura hitch with install was a bit excessive.
The following users liked this post:
rdxm (08-31-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by njdman
I have a 2013 RDX and purchased the Draw-Tite from Etrailer.com. Cost was about $165 with a savings coupon and it took about 15 minutes to install. Bolts to the frame in four spots. The nice thing is the only part that shows is the 2" receiver. All cross bars, mounts, etc. are behind the rear facia and do not show. It has a 4000 lb rating and a 2" receiver which I use for my Thule bike rack. I donb't tow a trailer so no need for the factoy wire harness, and I thought the cost of the Acura hitch with install was a bit excessive.
YEs i have the same dilemma with my bike rack..
Do you mind to post some pictures with the hitch .?
Thank you
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

I took 3 good photos of the etralier I have on my 2013. Back view, close up and under the vehicle. I can't figure out how to upload the jpg? I'm on a mac and tried to drag and drop but NG??
Old 08-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

Hitch photos attached-

[IMG][/IMG]

The following 5 users liked this post by njdman:
ARascal (07-06-2014), qwalls (04-26-2013), RDXfreak (09-03-2012), Sose (04-10-2013), wizardjjr (09-02-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Cruisin'

Regarding Hitch Photos I attached

This is the etrailer Draw-Tite hitch I posted about earlier. 2" receiver, about a 15 minute install and if you watch the video at Etrailer of a 2012 RDX its the same deal basically. I've been using it this week with my Thule rack and it's sturdy. The Thule folds down at the base to raise the rear gate. No worries.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

Wow! The Draw-Tite hitch looks great. I like it better than the OEM and it is much cheaper. Did you have to remove the bumper or anything to install it?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Cruisin'

no need to remove anything on the draw-tite

Go to etraile.com and pick the 2013 RDX. This will lead you to the part. Scroll down and there is a video of installing on a 2012 RDX which really shows the entire process. It's exaactly the same part and fit on the 2013. I would recommend pre threading the "black rear bolts" into the factory nuts to see the angle and make it easier to start them when you lift the hitch into place. You just need a second person to slightly pull the lower facia rearward to give you room to start the bolts. No worries and a very professional fit with a 4000# rating and powder coated paint job. My 3rd draw-tite on Honda products and this one is the best fit, and looks so far. Get the draw-tite, not the curt, because it has the 2 step painting process and I never had rust on any draw-tite over the years.
The following 3 users liked this post by njdman:
ARascal (07-06-2014), qwalls (04-26-2013), tal (09-04-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Intermediate

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll be definitely be buying this hitch.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
No worries and a very professional fit with a 4000# rating and powder coated paint job.
I had to double check this on etrailer.com to confirm and they do in fact list a 4000 pound rating. I don't know whether OEM is horribly under-rating themselves (1500 pounds) for warranty purposes but that's a 267% difference!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Cruisin'

It's 4000#

Its on the hitch sticker from Drawtite. You will notice on the photos I posted I have no wiring harness. I use this strictly for my Thule Parkway bike carrier. It's exactly what I needed because the bike rack was used on my Honda Accord and will fit the 2" or 1.25" receiver. The Thule folds down at the top and at the base so you can open the hatch and not hit anything. I've been using this for the bikes since last week and it's exactly as I expected. Why a 4000# hitch is on a vehicle rated for 1500# is anyones guess, but my concern was fit, finish and meeting my needs for my bikes, all of which it does perfectly for me.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM
tal
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go to etraile.com and pick the 2013 RDX. This will lead you to the part. Scroll down and there is a video of installing on a 2012 RDX which really shows the entire process. It's exaactly the same part and fit on the 2013. I would recommend pre threading the "black rear bolts" into the factory nuts to see the angle and make it easier to start them when you lift the hitch into place. You just need a second person to slightly pull the lower facia rearward to give you room to start the bolts. No worries and a very professional fit with a 4000# rating and powder coated paint job. My 3rd draw-tite on Honda products and this one is the best fit, and looks so far. Get the draw-tite, not the curt, because it has the 2 step painting process and I never had rust on any draw-tite over the years.
There is no Curt trailer hitch for the 2013 Acura RDX. There is only the Hidden Hitch & Draw-Tite.

The Draw-Tite is not in stock and the Hidden Hitch is in stock. I talked to the customer service rep and she told me there was ABSOLUTELY no difference in the hitches. Made from the same company.

I need a hitch soon and want the install to go smoothly. Will the Hidden Hitch install OK?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM
tal
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
I had to double check this on etrailer.com to confirm and they do in fact list a 4000 pound rating. I don't know whether OEM is horribly under-rating themselves (1500 pounds) for warranty purposes but that's a 267% difference!
I asked about this too and the hitch is rated for 4000 lbs not the vehicle. The RDX has a 1500 lb rating itself.
BlackDogRDX (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. It doesn't really make any sense that a hitch would have a higher rating than the vehicle it's mounted to - but at least we know.

Why the RDX is only 1500 is another story.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Cruisin'

If you need it now- go with in stock

I thought the only difference was in the 2 step paint process and powder coating of the draw-tite over the hidden hitch. Fit, mounting, all the other stuff should be the same so if you need it, save the money and order what they recommend. I've purchased 4 hitches from them and always spot on with the fit, finish and quality shipping. They were recommended to me by a friend years ago who also ordered hitches and harnesses from them.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by tal
There is no Curt trailer hitch for the 2013 Acura RDX. There is only the Hidden Hitch & Draw-Tite.

The Draw-Tite is not in stock and the Hidden Hitch is in stock. I talked to the customer service rep and she told me there was ABSOLUTELY no difference in the hitches. Made from the same company.

I need a hitch soon and want the install to go smoothly. Will the Hidden Hitch install OK?
Hidden Hitch is identical to Draw-Tite (as well as Reese). If you download the instructions for any of the three brands you will get the same sheet with three different part numbers.

Cequent, a TriMas company, based out of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan is an operating group that is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of a broad range of accessories for light trucks, sport utility vehicles, recreation vehicles, passenger cars and trailers of all types. Products include towing and hitch systems, trailer components and accessories, and electrical, brake, cargo carrying and rack systems. The group consists of 3 business units: Cequent Performance Products, Cequent Commercial Products and Cequent Australia.
Cequent draws upon a 100-year old heritage of superior towing and trailer brands (Draw-Tite, Reese, Fulton, Wesbar, Bulldog, Highland, Hidden Hitch, Bargman, ROLA and Tekonsha). Cequent employs approximately 2,070 associates. TriMas Corporation, with its headquarters in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan is a manufacturer of highly engineered products serving niche markets in a diverse range of commercial, industrial and consumer applications through three strategic operating groups. Cequent, Rieke Packaging Systems, and Industrial Specialties. Information about TriMas is available on the Internet at www.trimascorp.com.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If the picture on the etrailer website is accurate for Hidden Hitch, the Hidden has 2 bolts on each side for the frame, and the OEM hitch has three.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2013303873
Attached Thumbnails OEM trailer hitch-hitch_mount_bolts_v3_low.jpg  

Last edited by eekflyer; 09-05-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a lot of trouble starting the black bolts when installing it. I would suggest putting something under the hitch to hold it close (like a bucket or a jack) and then use a thicker screwdriver or a metal bar as a lever by inserting it through the other hole in the hitch (towards the front) and the car's frame hole to bring the hitch in place.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Good to hear that the aftermarket trailer hitch from etrailer.com looks good on the RDX. If the RDX purchase works out for me (it's the most likely candidate right now), that's probably one of the first things I'll put on. And I won't have to worry about having the option from the dealer.

I bought a trailer hitch for my 2007 Accord Coupe back a year or so back and was having a hard time lowering the exhaust to install it. I had to have the dealer do it. They charged $140 but hey, at least I tried on my own first. Hopefully this time around I can do it on my own easier.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just ordered the Draw Tight hitch from eTrailer with harness for $216. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Advanced

I ordered the draw tite hitch that was recommended from eTrailer. Arrived in 3 days and was very pleased with their service.

Hitch installation was fairly easy. You will need to pull the bumper bracket out a bit as it is a tight fit. Not difficult, but just enough of a PITA trying to get the bolts aligned. Looks good.

The electrical wiring harness wasn't difficult once I identified the correct plug to insert t into. It is a blue plug, slightly hidden behind the trim, more toward the front of the vehicle.

Overall difficulty was a 3, but perhaps a 6 on the PITA factor. Took me about an hour, which consisted of 15 mins of work, and 45 mins of screwing around trying to figure things out.
TranPlanner (11-24-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Its on the hitch sticker from Drawtite. You will notice on the photos I posted I have no wiring harness. I use this strictly for my Thule Parkway bike carrier. It's exactly what I needed because the bike rack was used on my Honda Accord and will fit the 2" or 1.25" receiver. The Thule folds down at the top and at the base so you can open the hatch and not hit anything. I've been using this for the bikes since last week and it's exactly as I expected. Why a 4000# hitch is on a vehicle rated for 1500# is anyones guess, but my concern was fit, finish and meeting my needs for my bikes, all of which it does perfectly for me.
Do you have a link to the Thule Parkway Bike Rack you bought and is there any other one you know of to consider?

The reason I'm interested in the one you have is because you mentioned the swapping with your Accord. On our '07 accord coupe we already have a trailer hitch installed ( the 24787 Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" for which I had paid $125.95 + $15.86 shipping = $141.81 ). Once I install a hitch on the 2013 RDX, I was hoping to use the same bike rack with both cars.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the trailer hitch tips. Does the wiring need to be pulled from the back of vehicle all the way up front?

Can you guys provide additional pictures of the installed hitches?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Here are pics of the OEM hitch and hitch harness installed (DIY).

and
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shahryar
Do you have a link to the Thule Parkway Bike Rack you bought and is there any other one you know of to consider?

The reason I'm interested in the one you have is because you mentioned the swapping with your Accord. On our '07 accord coupe we already have a trailer hitch installed ( the 24787 Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" for which I had paid $125.95 + $15.86 shipping = $141.81 ). Once I install a hitch on the 2013 RDX, I was hoping to use the same bike rack with both cars.
I had posted that earlier and sent a PM to njdman to get the details of his 4 bike hitch. He replied with this info which I thought it would be worth sharing with anyone else on the same boat as me:

njdman
Sure- no problem:
I have a 5 year old Thule Parkway 4 bike hitch which I had on the Accord. The nice part is it folds at the top and at the base. The other feature needed is you can convert it from a 1 1/4" mount to a 2" mount. On the Accord it was a 1.25 receiver, but the Acura is 2" so I was able to use it on the new vehicle.....Anyway, I hope this answers your questions. I'd buy the draw tite and Thule again...
I'm going to see if I can find this same one because I too have an Accord as well that has a trailer hitch installed on it (a Draw-tite one: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...ite/24787.html ) and I want to be able to use the bike rack on both cars
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Curt class III hitch put on. It does NOT stick out at all. Job well done by my dealer Gary Force Acura, Brentwood, TN.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpw94
I had a Curt class III hitch put on. It does NOT stick out at all. Job well done by my dealer Gary Force Acura, Brentwood, TN.
nice that's the one I'm planning on putting on. I called etrailer and this is the order they prepared for me:

http://www.etrailer.com/partlist.aspx?ref=48554WE

I'm only getting the hitch for now because I only need to put a bike rack on it. I'll be putting on my Yakima FlipSide 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (w/ 1.25 and 2-Inch Receiver) bike rack. I use this on my / '07 Accord.