Is it normal for the brakes to do the following:

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Is it normal for the brakes to do the following:

2016 RDX. Ok my brakes are quiet and smooth when I'm driving and I brake. But as I let go of the brake from the car being in a stop position, it makes a creeking sound. Is this normal? How to fix?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
2016 RDX. Ok my brakes are quiet and smooth when I'm driving and I brake. But as I let go of the brake from the car being in a stop position, it makes a creeking sound. Is this normal? How to fix?

Rockboy, could you please search the forum for previous threads before starting a new one?

On the following thread you also commented
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...brakes-934672/

Last edited by giovane; 09-25-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

When you release your brakes from a stop position, are the brakes completely quiet? I might take mine in to replace or fix the rotors. The warranty pays for it, right?

Originally Posted by giovane
Rockboy, could you please search the forum for previous threads before starting a new one?

On the following thread you also commented
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...brakes-934672/
Old 09-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

How long did it take the dealer to fix your brakes? I'm hoping it's quick.

When you release your brakes from a stop position, are the brakes completely quiet? I might take mine in to replace or fix the rotors. The warranty pays for it, right?
Old 09-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Sometimes if you release the brake very slowly you may get some squeeling. It's not that unusual.

IF you get your brakes replaced, something you may want to consider is asking about upgrading your brakes. I wouldn't worry so much about the squeal. I know the brakes seem to grab quickly, but there is another issue you may not be aware of. The average stopping distance from 60-0 on this class of vehicle is 122 feet. The RDX takes 129 feet. Although it may not look like much, if you need to brake in an emergency this is a significant difference. Just something for you to think about. When time comes to replace my brakes, I plan on checking into this myself.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:22 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
Sometimes if you release the brake very slowly you may get some squeeling. It's not that unusual.

IF you get your brakes replaced, something you may want to consider is asking about upgrading your brakes. I wouldn't worry so much about the squeal. I know the brakes seem to grab quickly, but there is another issue you may not be aware of. The average stopping distance from 60-0 on this class of vehicle is 122 feet. The RDX takes 129 feet. Although it may not look like much, if you need to brake in an emergency this is a significant difference. Just something for you to think about. When time comes to replace my brakes, I plan on checking into this myself.
Blasphemy. How dare you say something negative about the RDX. The RDX stopping distances are actually measured in inches and not feet. The RDX will stop in 129 inches. More proof that the RDX is the best vehicle that will ever be designed.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm finding the brake feels quite strong. Where did you get the 122 feet and 129 feet figure from?

Old 09-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

It's probably not blasphemy as there probably was no deliberate sin committed.

Originally Posted by ceb
Blasphemy. How dare you say something negative about the RDX. The RDX stopping distances are actually measured in inches and not feet. The RDX will stop in 129 inches. More proof that the RDX is the best vehicle that will ever be designed.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb

Forgive me ceb. I'll do my best not to do that again. The RDX is the only automobile we own at this time..... we are a one car family. IF we could put wings on our RDX I would sell the plane (as there would be no need for it) and become a one vehicle family. The RDX is super fast, super fuel-efficient, and I'm sure it could outperform and outmaneuver the F-22 Raptor.

I'm finding the brake feels quite strong. Where did you get the 122 feet and 129 feet figure from?

The brakes do engage quickly. Very quickly. But they do not stop quickly in general. When researching vehicles I came by this figure in a couple places - like Road & Track; Car & Driver; Motor Week, etc. They all slammed the RDX for its poor braking. (The nerve of those people!) The first sign of braking problems (squealing, squeaking, or pulsating - which often comes from not having all lugnuts tightened the same) I will look into putting a better brake on it. What would I put on? Not my area of expertise so I would consult someone who knew more about it.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
The brakes do engage quickly. Very quickly. But they do not stop quickly in general. When researching vehicles I came by this figure in a couple places - like Road & Track; Car & Driver; Motor Week, etc. They all slammed the RDX for its poor braking. (The nerve of those people!) The first sign of braking problems (squealing, squeaking, or pulsating - which often comes from not having all lugnuts tightened the same) I will look into putting a better brake on it. What would I put on? Not my area of expertise so I would consult someone who knew more about it.
"Putting a better brake on it" is not so trivial as you make it sound. Basically you are looking at changing to an aftermarket pad set that may have the better stopping power you are looking for. The results of changing pads are highly subjective to say the least. You may never drive the car in a way that you could notice, such as track conditions.

Aftermarket rotors are also not going to do much for you - this is not a track car. Since to my knowledge there is no big brake kit for the RDX, you may be hard pressed to find the braking performance you are looking for.

A lot of folks have tried various brake pad/rotor/stainless steel line combinations on the first gen RDX, which has pretty mediocre brakes at best. All-in-all with little convincing results that there was any improvement over stock, other than a couple of guys who have had high-dollar custom BBKs done.

Nothing wrong experimenting with different pads when the originals are shot, but I'd probably just get used to it stock.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
"Putting a better brake on it" is not so trivial as you make it sound. Basically you are looking at changing to an aftermarket pad set that may have the better stopping power you are looking for. The results of changing pads are highly subjective to say the least. You may never drive the car in a way that you could notice, such as track conditions.

Aftermarket rotors are also not going to do much for you - this is not a track car. Since to my knowledge there is no big brake kit for the RDX, you may be hard pressed to find the braking performance you are looking for.

A lot of folks have tried various brake pad/rotor/stainless steel line combinations on the first gen RDX, which has pretty mediocre brakes at best. All-in-all with little convincing results that there was any improvement over stock, other than a couple of guys who have had high-dollar custom BBKs done.

Nothing wrong experimenting with different pads when the originals are shot, but I'd probably just get used to it stock.

Upgrading brakes is not easy and probably not cheap (particularly if you can have them done under warranty at no cost). I totally agree with you on that. I plan to keep them as is unless/until I have problems with them or they need to be replaced. There may not be a better brake available, but I'll look into it at that time.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:11 PM
Racer

FWIW Edmunds says the 60-0 braking distance for the first generation RDX is 125 feet. Slightly better than the current generation RDX at 129 feet.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all RDX what I test drove had this noise when break released. Mine has the same. I used to have honda who had the same issue. It might go away later, you can complain to dealer though
Old 09-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Blasphemy.The RDX stopping distances are actually measured in inches and not feet. The RDX will stop in 129 inches..
Inches! What a Ftard!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
hey rocky
do you notice this more when you are on an incline? could it be the hill start assist function you are hearing? (just a guess)
Old 09-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Happens on flat road too. It's not that big of a deal as the noise is not that loud and it doesn't happen all the time. For some reason I notice that it happens less in the morning. I'll drive it past 1000 km and see if there is any change.

Originally Posted by johnrh
hey rocky
do you notice this more when you are on an incline? could it be the hill start assist function you are hearing? (just a guess)
Old 09-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I wonder if it's the rotors? I'll drive it past break in period and see if it goes away.

Originally Posted by Archie
all RDX what I test drove had this noise when break released. Mine has the same. I used to have honda who had the same issue. It might go away later, you can complain to dealer though
Old 09-26-2015, 11:00 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Inches! What a Ftard!
Did you even think for second that Ceb was serious?
He actually meant 129 millimeters.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:29 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Did you even think for second that Ceb was serious?
He actually meant 129 millimeters.
You're right, I mis-typed. I meant to write 12.9 mm. That way you can say that the RDX stops on a dime.
The following users liked this post:
snorf (09-27-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
FWIW Edmunds says the 60-0 braking distance for the first generation RDX is 125 feet. Slightly better than the current generation RDX at 129 feet.
I'm not sure where you're getting this for the second generation. Perhaps 129 feet is for FWD?

In Edmunds brake testing, an all-wheel-drive 2016 RDX came to a stop from 60 mph in 122 feet, which is about average for this class.
The quote is from the "Full Expert Review" from edmonds.com 2016 Acura RDX SUV Review & Ratings | Edmunds

Auto reviewer, Alex Dykes, also says it comes to a stop at 116 feet which is respectable for an SUV this size. Not sure which figure is correct.

2016 Acura RDX AWD Review (With Video)
Old 10-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

The brakes and tires function excellent on the RDX. I knew it must have above average stopping distance.

Originally Posted by yeoyes
I'm not sure where you're getting this for the second generation. Perhaps 129 feet is for FWD?

The quote is from the "Full Expert Review" from edmonds.com 2016 Acura RDX SUV Review & Ratings | Edmunds

Auto reviewer, Alex Dykes, also says it comes to a stop at 116 feet which is respectable for an SUV this size. Not sure which figure is correct.

2016 Acura RDX AWD Review (With Video)