New RDX owner

Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New RDX owner

Picked up my graphite AWD Tech earlier this week!

I'm curious to learn from others what other cars/suvs they considered.

Here's my story:

I had planned to wait a few months, test drive a few more competitors, and then make a decision about replacing my 2006 3 Series. We were offered a great deal on the RDX and we loved the car, so we bought it!

Two months ago, the rdx wasn't even on my list. I was considering the q5, x3, a Volvo S60, the rx350 or waiting until september for a new 3 Series with awd. I even looked at an S4. But I was driving a 2006 3 Series and we really wanted more space. Had I gone the sedan route, I think the s60 would've been my first choice, but I was driving a 2006 3 Series and we really wanted more space.

RX350
Everything about the rx350 was nice and well done, but it felt too big for me. I also prefer newly redesigned cars and the rx350 is a few years out. My wife really wanted it though.

Q5
Audi does do a nice interior. But the expected reliability of the q5 worried me, and in all honesty, I prefer newly redesigned cars. Like the lexus, the q5 is a little long in the tooth.

X3
Despite my wife's preference for the lexus, that sort of left me with the x3. I was strongly considering it because I was driving a bmw and I loved the driving dynamics of the 3 Series. My 325i was my baby. But I learned that the interior and the fit and finish of BMWs leaves something to be desired. We bought our 2006 Acura TSX at the same time, and I think its held up much better than our 3 Series, even if the interior was crafted from harder plastics. Unfortunately, the x3 does not share the driving dynamics of the 325i and the interior was similarly spartan. Still, if not for the RDX, I probably would've picked up a x28i or x35i in the next few months.

RDX
It was missing a few things that I wanted. A 8-10 way power passenger was important to my wife and I wanted rain sensing wipers like I had on my bimmer. I also liked the air cooled seats in the Lexus and the parking/lane assist features of the other cars. But the RDX had every other feature i wanted, noticeably better acceleration than all but the x35i, better gas mileage, and it was far less than I was expecting to pay for a new car. The interior is objectively nicer than my 325i (and probably the x3 too, since it didn't seem much different). We test drive the 2007 rdx when we bought the 325i. We decided against it because of the gas mileage. So far, I'm very happy with our decision.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I was trying to stay in the 35k to 40k price range. I considered the cars in your post and rejected them for poor long-term reliability (Q5 and X3) and price (try to find a non-loaded RX350). I also considered the Tiguan (long-term reliability and, EX35 (aging design), I narrowed it down to the CX5 (not bad, cheap interior), the Sante Fe limited and Equinox/Terrain (owners say real world gas mileage is bad on both these no matter what EPA says), and the Enclave (too big, major redesign coming). The RDX was exactly what I was looking for and my experience with Acura and Integra has proven their long-term reliability.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Isn't the 2013 RX 350 a redesigned/new car?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dcwolverine
Picked up my graphite AWD Tech earlier this week!

I'm curious to learn from others what other cars/suvs they considered.

Here's my story:

I had planned to wait a few months, test drive a few more competitors, and then make a decision about replacing my 2006 3 Series. We were offered a great deal on the RDX and we loved the car, so we bought it!

Two months ago, the rdx wasn't even on my list. I was considering the q5, x3, a Volvo S60, the rx350 or waiting until september for a new 3 Series with awd. I even looked at an S4. But I was driving a 2006 3 Series and we really wanted more space. Had I gone the sedan route, I think the s60 would've been my first choice, but I was driving a 2006 3 Series and we really wanted more space.

RX350
Everything about the rx350 was nice and well done, but it felt too big for me. I also prefer newly redesigned cars and the rx350 is a few years out. My wife really wanted it though.

Q5
Audi does do a nice interior. But the expected reliability of the q5 worried me, and in all honesty, I prefer newly redesigned cars. Like the lexus, the q5 is a little long in the tooth.

X3
Despite my wife's preference for the lexus, that sort of left me with the x3. I was strongly considering it because I was driving a bmw and I loved the driving dynamics of the 3 Series. My 325i was my baby. But I learned that the interior and the fit and finish of BMWs leaves something to be desired. We bought our 2006 Acura TSX at the same time, and I think its held up much better than our 3 Series, even if the interior was crafted from harder plastics. Unfortunately, the x3 does not share the driving dynamics of the 325i and the interior was similarly spartan. Still, if not for the RDX, I probably would've picked up a x28i or x35i in the next few months.

RDX
It was missing a few things that I wanted. A 8-10 way power passenger was important to my wife and I wanted rain sensing wipers like I had on my bimmer. I also liked the air cooled seats in the Lexus and the parking/lane assist features of the other cars. But the RDX had every other feature i wanted, noticeably better acceleration than all but the x35i, better gas mileage, and it was far less than I was expecting to pay for a new car. The interior is objectively nicer than my 325i (and probably the x3 too, since it didn't seem much different). We test drive the 2007 rdx when we bought the 325i. We decided against it because of the gas mileage. So far, I'm very happy with our decision.
You and I have gone through similar comparisons. It came down to the X3 and the RDX for me. I've never had a BMW before but I really liked the simple dash layout and the seats fit me perfectly. However, I cannot get past the run flat tires and am very concerned about getting stranded in the mountains down some dirt road unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Thus, I should pick up the RDX this weekend.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Congrats
Awesome
My Favorite small SUV
Pics please
Old 05-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

I too have gone done a similar path. I haven't made the purchase yet but RDX, X3, and RX F-Sport are in the running. Hopefully the F-Sport is available soon but I'm thinking that they may not deal initially, which could push the timeframe out more. But like the OP, the RDX hits most of the checkboxes but missing a few things that would be nice to have but can easily live without.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:27 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the rfts on the bimmer...they were loud, jarring, and expensive to replace. My second set literally fell apart on a trip to Ohio at about 67,000 miles. That said, I drove over a dislodged manhole cover in the street a few years ago and I think the rft saved my car. The cover sliced most of the way through the tire and ruined the wheel, but I had no damage to the car itself. So, I felt safe with them.

My biggest issue with my bmw was that the interior and exterior trim was not durable. I spent hundreds of dollars maintaining things that should not simply wear as poorly as they did. So, I will always be somewhat skeptical of claims that BMW interior quality is better than Acura. That was not my experience after owning a TSX and a 325i for six years. I sound negative but I'm not . I loved my BMW...funnest car I've ever owned and I would've bought the x3 if I hadn't been so impressed by the rdx.

I'll post pics when I can.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
The RX350 is significantly updated, including the addition of the F-Sport trim level with 8-speed auto. The Q5 is also just a couple months away from an update, which will bring the awesome supercharged 3.0 liter V6.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
dcwolverine...Congrats on your RDX! I am a a big fan of this vehicle and I was considering a Q5 too for a brief while but the moment I drove the RDX, I was sold!!
Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 AM
9th Gear

I was also considering the Q5, Volvo XC60, and BMW X3 but after consideration decided on the RDX because of the value per dollar and my hesitation regarding the reliability of the above vehicles.

I owned an Audi A4 2.0T Quattro wagon previously. While a beautiful, and functional vehicle, it had expensive repairs that ultimately forced my hand.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Per some google searches, it just has some small changes. Probably won't get a full redesign for another 3-4 years.

"For the first time since the current third-generation RX models bowed, they've received a light refresh. The 2013 Lexus RX models get a version of the new 'spindle grille' that's already made its debut in the GS sport sedans, which makes it just a little menacing in our opinion, while all the snub-nosed, blunt-shouldered purposefulness--crossed with soft elegance--of the current generation's design remains. LED running lamps, new rear taillights, and a few new colors are the extent of the exterior changes, while inside there's a new steering wheel, contrast stitching for the leather, and a redesigned center console."
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
sbt
5th Gear

Pics or it did not happen !! :-)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums
Per some google searches, it just has some small changes. Probably won't get a full redesign for another 3-4 years.

"For the first time since the current third-generation RX models bowed, they've received a light refresh. The 2013 Lexus RX models get a version of the new 'spindle grille' that's already made its debut in the GS sport sedans, which makes it just a little menacing in our opinion, while all the snub-nosed, blunt-shouldered purposefulness--crossed with soft elegance--of the current generation's design remains. LED running lamps, new rear taillights, and a few new colors are the extent of the exterior changes, while inside there's a new steering wheel, contrast stitching for the leather, and a redesigned center console."
True, with the exception of the F-Sport model. The F-Sport offers different suspension tuning, an 8-speed auto with paddle shifters in lieu of the standard 6-speed, and a unique grille, wheels and other appearance items. Still not my thing, but it has to be better than standard model.