New Owner - Power tailgate question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner - Power tailgate question

Hello All,

I just leased a new RDX up here in Vancouver Canada last week. I got the white exterior and black interior AWD with the Tech package.

So far, so good. We came from a 2009 TSX and the interior is very similar. Drive is totally different though. I like the stiffer ride and handling of the TSX but it was time for a change.

We got a great deal on the car so pretty happy about the end price we got on it.

I do have one question for those with the power tailgate. When I open the tailgate from the back with the handle, it does not lift automatically. It would unlock but then I would have to manually lift up the hatch. Is it supposed to be like this?

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Congrats on our new RDX.....I have the same - White on Black (tech) and love the vehicleto death! I had a 2009 TSX as well prior to my 2012 TL AWD. I like to have both so I can get my pleasure based on the mood I am in....fun and more spirited driving (TL) or fun but refined and more elegant ride (RDX). Funny how I get better fuel mileage on the RDX than I do on my TL....It could also be on the fact that I tend to drive a wee bit more aggressive with the TL (not that I drive like a maniac either).

To your question....that is correct. To take advantage of the power liftgate (to open), you either have to press (and hold for a few sec) the button next to the steering whell or press the release button on the remote. Using the rubber button on the tailgate will manually open the liftgate only. To close the liftgate, there is a power putton on the tail gate that will close it for you.

Hope this helps....
The following users liked this post:
ultra_man99 (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
5th Gear

Yes that does help.

Thanks, I kind of figured it was like that but wanted to be clear.

Have you noticed any issues with your RDX since you got it?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

You are welcome...I like helping when i can

As far as problems...nothing significant really. The most annoying thing (and its not a problem but a design flaw) is the integration of the USB playback. That has been so poorly designed and everytime I use it, I am reminded on how annoying it is. I have contacted Acura Canada to complain about the issue but as expected, they never even acknowledge reception of my message....Not surprised at all.

The other issue which has been documented by others as well is that the headlights seem to shoot a bit high. I notice when I follow vehicles at night that I am projecting right into their cockpit area and that must annoy the crap out of them. I get the "headlight flash" as well....and no I don't have my high beams on *lol*

Other than that, no problem on my end. She is solid, no rattles, no creaking, no popping nothing malfunctioning. As I said, more little irritants than anything else

Its a great vehicle and I love it alot!!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Check your PSI on your tires also. A lot of people (myself included) had tires over-inflated, they should be at around 33PSI (I prefer 35PSI).
The following 2 users liked this post by C0rrion:
AmberB (09-26-2012), ultra_man99 (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM
5th Gear

great, thanks for the tip
Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
[quote=weather;14057892]Congrats on our new RDX.....I have the same - White on Black (tech) and love the vehicleto death! I had a 2009 TSX as well prior to my 2012 TL AWD. I like to have both so I can get my pleasure based on the mood I am in....fun and more spirited driving (TL) or fun but refined and more elegant ride (RDX). Funny how I get better fuel mileage on the RDX than I do on my TL....It could also be on the fact that I tend to drive a wee bit more aggressive with the TL (not that I drive like a maniac either).

thats interesting, although the TL has SH-AWD and a 3.7L I kind of believe that now, the RDX is a bigger vehicle but it has a smaller motor and a less heavy awd system. id imagine it being no more than a 2 mpg difference at my guess.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
"The other issue which has been documented by others as well is that the headlights seem to shoot a bit high. I notice when I follow vehicles at night that I am projecting right into their cockpit area and that must annoy the crap out of them. I get the "headlight flash" as well....and no I don't have my high beams on *lol*"

Weather, have you heard anything about asking dealers to check on the headlight alignment and possibly adjusting? Most headlights do have adjustment screws but some are very difficult to access.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Vividsi
thats interesting, although the TL has SH-AWD and a 3.7L I kind of believe that now, the RDX is a bigger vehicle but it has a smaller motor and a less heavy awd system. id imagine it being no more than a 2 mpg difference at my guess.
The difference between the TL and RDX seems to be about 2 litre/100km on average which for you guys in the US, means about 5-6 miles per gallon. Again, as you stated, the smaller engine displacement, the VCM, the lighter AWD all play a role but also, I do notice a difference in driving behavior whether I sit behind the wheel of the TL versus that of the RDX.

Originally Posted by geocord
Weather, have you heard anything about asking dealers to check on the headlight alignment and possibly adjusting? Most headlights do have adjustment screws but some are very difficult to access.

I have not taken the RDX to my dealership yet....They are located several hours away and don't feel it is critical enough to warrant driving all the way there just for that. I am heading there later this fall and if I do...I will get them to look at it but from what I read here, I am not the only one. I am usually not comfortable tampering with the vehicle and will let them deal with the screws....Good point though.
BobBass (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weather
To take advantage of the power liftgate (to open), you either have to press (and hold for a few sec) the button next to the steering whell or press the release button on the remote.
This is probably a silly question (and I'm sure the answer lies in the manual), but does the tailgait button next to the steering wheel only work under certain circumstances? Every time I've tried pressing (and hold) it in ours, nothing happens, so I was wondering if there is something I'm missing!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
All doors must be unlocked for that button to operate. I believe there is a setting that you can change that will allow it to open when doors are locked.
PaulH2 (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wizardjjr
All doors must be unlocked for that button to operate. I believe there is a setting that you can change that will allow it to open when doors are locked.
Ah ha, that might be it then as I'm probably only unlocking the drivers door at that point. I'll have a look in the settings next time I get the chance, thanks for the advice!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for answering....You beat me to it
Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the volume of the beep when the rear hatch is opening?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't tjink the beep is adjustable. It's a safety thing. The setting is in the custome section of the computer in the middle of the speedo and tacho
Old 04-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to revive an old thread ......

I've noticed that that are 2 settings for the power tailgate.. Open when "unlocked" and "Anytime".

No matter what I set this to, it still requires the doors to be unlocked. I believe that the manual stated that "Anytime" would unlock it and then open it. But it doesn't seem to make any difference in my case.

Has anyone played with this setting and had any luck with it?

Thanks,
Dwayne
Old 04-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dirvin

I've noticed that that are 2 settings for the power tailgate.. Open when "unlocked" and "Anytime".

No matter what I set this to, it still requires the doors to be unlocked. I believe that the manual stated that "Anytime" would unlock it and then open it. But it doesn't seem to make any difference in my case.

Make sure you're setting it for the correct driver. Not sure about this setting, but some can be set according to which keyfob, Driver 1 or Driver 2, you have.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dirvin

Thanks,
Dwayne
Are you pressing it long enough? You have to press and hold for ~3 seconds for rear hatch to open...
Old 04-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by saxman48
Make sure you're setting it for the correct driver. Not sure about this setting, but some can be set according to which keyfob, Driver 1 or Driver 2, you have.

Thanks saxman48. That's a good point, I don't think that I paid attention to that.

(I'm a sax player too )
Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by minothor
Are you pressing it long enough? You have to press and hold for ~3 seconds for rear hatch to open...

Yes, I did press and hold. And it does work if I press the unlock button first. I was expecting the "Anytime" setting to eliminate the need to unlock doors first.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. I'll go home and test this evening since I don't know if all my doors were unlocked but I was getting frustrated that the button wasn't working.

Dirvin, did it ever work after setting the "Anytime" setting and doors being locked?

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sose
I'm having a similar issue. I'll go home and test this evening since I don't know if all my doors were unlocked but I was getting frustrated that the button wasn't working.

Dirvin, did it ever work after setting the "Anytime" setting and doors being locked?

Thanks.
Is the vehicle in Park? I believe it won't work no matter what the setting unless you put it in Park first...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Yup! I've been doing it in park.

I've read a lot more stuff on another thread. I biked in to work today, so when I get home I'll give it a whirl.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Sose

Thanks.

Nope, I still have to unlock the doors first. (and yes the car was in Park).

It seems to me that this setting is no different than "only when unlocked".

I plan to bring that up at the first oil change.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 PM
8th Gear

Is the open height adjustable on the power tailgate
Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mlkslr1
Is the open height adjustable on the power tailgate
I haven't seen anything on the manual on this.

By the way, the button worked if the doors are all unlocked.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 PM
4th Gear

Hi new here on forum, just purchased fwd with tech for wife and salesman said no height adjustment. We love car so far.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 PM
8th Gear

Thanks Geozap. Didn't think you could adjust but my neighbor suggested it could.