New to the forum & RDX

Old 02-19-2018, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
New to the forum & RDX

Hi;
I've been reading through google search about the RDX and came across this forum in the process. I like what I see so far and now am somewhat obligated to steering my daughter along with her first vehicle purchased. She and myself have done a lot of research on SUV type vehicles and came across the RDX as what seems to be an excellent choice. She has been working now full time after graduating college and has student debt, rent and all else to pay for in this world we live in. She has a limited budget and therefore ended up purchasing a 2015 RDX FWD Basic Package vehicle that was very well dealer maintained through 60,000 miles. She is giving up the 25 year old family Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for this. I have been a member of Jeepforum for enough years to repair and keep the Jeep reliable all these years. It's a 1993 Model with 5.2 V-8 engine and AWD. So I got some self educating to do on this RDX in order to help her make the best informed decisions on PM work and accessories to guide her to purchase.
She has a dog she transports pretty often and is attempting to somewhat safe guard her investment. Fortunately it already came with the Cargo Tray from Acura. We are looking at floor mats and I'm thinking "Weather Tech" I already seen the Acura all weather mats and don't care for the lack of full coverage. I'm open to suggestions. Thank you all who contribute and share your time and knowledge in order to help one another.

Sincerely,

John
Old 02-19-2018, 08:58 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JS2194
Hi;
I've been reading through google search about the RDX and came across this forum in the process. I like what I see so far and now am somewhat obligated to steering my daughter along with her first vehicle purchased. She and myself have done a lot of research on SUV type vehicles and came across the RDX as what seems to be an excellent choice. She has been working now full time after graduating college and has student debt, rent and all else to pay for in this world we live in. She has a limited budget and therefore ended up purchasing a 2015 RDX FWD Basic Package vehicle that was very well dealer maintained through 60,000 miles. She is giving up the 25 year old family Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for this. I have been a member of Jeepforum for enough years to repair and keep the Jeep reliable all these years. It's a 1993 Model with 5.2 V-8 engine and AWD. So I got some self educating to do on this RDX in order to help her make the best informed decisions on PM work and accessories to guide her to purchase.
She has a dog she transports pretty often and is attempting to somewhat safe guard her investment. Fortunately it already came with the Cargo Tray from Acura. We are looking at floor mats and I'm thinking "Weather Tech" I already seen the Acura all weather mats and don't care for the lack of full coverage. I'm open to suggestions. Thank you all who contribute and share your time and knowledge in order to help one another.

Sincerely,

John
congrats on the on the purchase, the 3.5 and 6 speed is pretty bullet proof so problems should be minimal. as per mats I believe weather tech is pretty expansive. I have had luck buying OEM mats off ebay and a lot of them came straight from Acura dealers, one set came from the dealer right by my house. I think even the parts department thinks charging $200 for mats with installation (what a joke) is a rip off.
The following users liked this post:
JS2194 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrasero
congrats on the on the purchase, the 3.5 and 6 speed is pretty bullet proof so problems should be minimal. as per mats I believe weather tech is pretty expansive. I have had luck buying OEM mats off ebay and a lot of them came straight from Acura dealers, one set came from the dealer right by my house. I think even the parts department thinks charging $200 for mats with installation (what a joke) is a rip off.
Thanks for the reassurance.. The only thing I noticed was the coolant in the overflow jug was below the add mark. At least it was the right color.. I topped off the radiator and brought jug to proper level with the TYPE 2 coolant. This vehicle came from a used car service that claims to do a 150 point inspection.. I'd rather that they would not have touched it, for the service records where about a good as anyone could hope for. As for why the coolant ended up below the add mark, I can't answer that. The 150 point inspection did not count that evidently, nor the Honda Dealer Service Dept. that seen this vehicle on regular basis. The used car service center changed the oil and filter to an unknown to me brand and weight of oil...?? I hope at least the correct weight oil, and see a Carquest oil filter. Just to be clear, this was done at the used car dealer's service center. I'll replace oil & filter with something of known quality first chance I get. Daughter lives 4 hours away just one way. So she'll be home to visit in a couple weeks. I thought of just telling her to get the "Oil Change Special" at the Acura dealer for $39.95 assuming they will use the correct oil and filter. She just can't be bothered with all the possible up-selling.... As for the Weather Tech floor mats, I won't buy them unless they are discounted pretty good. So that may not happen anyway...
Old 02-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the reassurance.. The only thing I noticed was the coolant in the overflow jug was below the add mark. At least it was the right color.. I topped off the radiator and brought jug to proper level with the TYPE 2 coolant. This vehicle came from a used car service that claims to do a 150 point inspection.. I'd rather that they would not have touched it, for the service records where about a good as anyone could hope for. As for why the coolant ended up below the add mark, I can't answer that. The 150 point inspection did not count that evidently, nor the Honda Dealer Service Dept. that seen this vehicle on regular basis. The used car service center changed the oil and filter to an unknown to me brand and weight of oil...?? I hope at least the correct weight oil, and see a Carquest oil filter. Just to be clear, this was done at the used car dealer's service center. I'll replace oil & filter with something of known quality first chance I get. Daughter lives 4 hours away just one way. So she'll be home to visit in a couple weeks. I thought of just telling her to get the "Oil Change Special" at the Acura dealer for $39.95 assuming they will use the correct oil and filter. She just can't be bothered with all the possible up-selling.... As for the Weather Tech floor mats, I won't buy them unless they are discounted pretty good. So that may not happen anyway...
mm coolant leaks were more of an issue on the 2.3 Turbo RDX's. I would just monitor the levels but assume everything is okay. Man what a good dad you are! 150 pt inspection? Acura does 182 pt, this wasn't a CPO? or was it on a Honda used car lot where technically it can't be certified as a CPO? Honestly $40 isn't bad but don't feel like she has to go through Acura, however from my experience Acura dealerships are no where as pushy with the unneeded crap like Honda dealers. One of the perks of owning an Acura is that maintenance for a "luxury" car is relatively cheap. My cow-worker brought in a his brand new Evoque (leased) for service at less 8k miles and it was $800! Also I have had friends with Mercedes that have done basic 30k millage maintenance and costed $1500.
JS2194 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Advanced

mm coolant leaks were more of an issue on the 2.3 Turbo RDX's. I would just monitor the levels but assume everything is okay. Man what a good dad you are! 150 pt inspection? Acura does 182 pt, this wasn't a CPO? or was it on a Honda used car lot where technically it can't be certified as a CPO? Honestly $40 isn't bad but don't feel like she has to go through Acura, however from my experience Acura dealerships are no where as pushy with the unneeded crap like Honda dealers. One of the perks of owning an Acura is that maintenance for a "luxury" car is relatively cheap. My cow-worker brought in a his brand new Evoque (leased) for service at less 8k miles and it was $800! Also I have had friends with Mercedes that have done basic 30k millage maintenance and costed $1500.
Thanks for the kind words. I try to do what I can for not being financially well off. My daughter works for Carvana. This is a place that sells cars online and delivers them to your house or very near by. After being there 6 months, she was able to purchase one of their cars for a discount. We are able to pull up the Carfax on the cars they have on their site. I ran across one that appeared to have been serviced regularly and shared that info with her. The company gives you a 7 day return option and 100 days of warranty. She decided to purchase and send back if not happy. Their local independent mechanic inspects for the state inspection anyway. My daughter knows them from everyday business and asked them to look extra hard since she's buying for herself. Long story short it passed with "way better than average". I went up to check it over and thought it was very nice. So she bought it.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
We are looking at floor mats and I'm thinking "Weather Tech" I already seen the Acura all weather mats and don't care for the lack of full coverage. I'm open to suggestions.

Sincerely,
John
I have had WeatherTechs in my last car and now in the Acura and they are better than anything I have used in the past. The only downside and they all seem to have it are the mounting holes to attach them to the "studs" in the car to supposedly keep them in place. I'd sooner not have those.

There are similar brands out there (they are all copies of the trays we sold in the 70s at VW that came from Norway).
JS2194 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tech
I have had WeatherTechs in my last car and now in the Acura and they are better than anything I have used in the past. The only downside and they all seem to have it are the mounting holes to attach them to the "studs" in the car to supposedly keep them in place. I'd sooner not have those.

There are similar brands out there (they are all copies of the trays we sold in the 70s at VW that came from Norway).
I apologize for posing that mat thing as a question while subconsciously figuring it has been covered a million times.. I've since read a lot on here and concluded that the OEM All Weather Mats have been said to leak right where the RDX Logo is inserted into the main portion of the mat. That is the sure fire deal breaker for me. I also didn't care too much for the lack of coverage compared to the Weather Tech to begin with. After searching on the net, it appeared that Amazon sellers had about as good as a price as one might expect,.. Then just hours later after I purchased some just for the front of the RDX, Amazon reveals other sellers that offer the same exact model number for a lower price.. I researched that tactic a little bit to conclude my suspensions and it is true that Amazon does play that game. I'm not sure how to beat them at that game just yet, but will experiment next time if time permits. Being the ones I purchased did not come directly from Amazon, I can't just cancel the order or return without having to pay return shipping, even being a Prime Customer. Thanks for your time in replying.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
She has a dog she transports pretty often and is attempting to somewhat safe guard her investment.
Hi John, welcome to the RDX forum!
I may be able to help with the dog protection issue. I've been
using this hammock/mat using this hammock/mat
and my two Pekingese seem to like it. No more sliding off the seat onto the floor, no more toenails digging into the leather and no chance of 'accidents' that can't be cleaned up because daddy didn't make a potty stop soon enough. It's easy to install and remove with loops that fit over front and rear seat headrests and a piece of pvc that fits between the seat and seat back to hold everything in place but, since we very rarely have a human in the back seat, pretty much leave the hammock in place.

Cheers!
JS2194 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:26 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I apologize for posing that mat thing as a question while subconsciously figuring it has been covered a million times.. I've since read a lot on here and concluded that the OEM All Weather Mats have been said to leak right where the RDX Logo is inserted into the main portion of the mat. That is the sure fire deal breaker for me. I also didn't care too much for the lack of coverage compared to the Weather Tech to begin with. After searching on the net, it appeared that Amazon sellers had about as good as a price as one might expect,.. Then just hours later after I purchased some just for the front of the RDX, Amazon reveals other sellers that offer the same exact model number for a lower price.. I researched that tactic a little bit to conclude my suspensions and it is true that Amazon does play that game. I'm not sure how to beat them at that game just yet, but will experiment next time if time permits. Being the ones I purchased did not come directly from Amazon, I can't just cancel the order or return without having to pay return shipping, even being a Prime Customer. Thanks for your time in replying.
Not sure where this is coming from. I have the OEM all weather mats in mine (2yrs and 44k) and no leaks at all. I am very happy with them.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chickdr
Not sure where this is coming from. I have the OEM all weather mats in mine (2yrs and 44k) and no leaks at all. I am very happy with them.
I read that mentioned by two different members on this site while researching the mat subject...
I can't recall exactly which thread I read it on now being I read a quite a few...
Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
Hi John, welcome to the RDX forum!
I may be able to help with the dog protection issue. I've been using this hammock/mat and my two Pekingese seem to like it. No more sliding off the seat onto the floor, no more toenails digging into the leather and no chance of 'accidents' that can't be cleaned up because daddy didn't make a potty stop soon enough. It's easy to install and remove with loops that fit over front and rear seat headrests and a piece of pvc that fits between the seat and seat back to hold everything in place but, since we very rarely have a human in the back seat, pretty much leave the hammock in place.

Cheers!
Thanks for your time and providing the link, I'll run that idea by her.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

I apologize for posing that mat thing as a question while subconsciously figuring it has been covered a million times.. I've since read a lot on here and concluded that the OEM All Weather Mats have been said to leak right where the RDX Logo is inserted into the main portion of the mat. That is the sure fire deal breaker for me. I also didn't care too much for the lack of coverage compared to the Weather Tech to begin with.
Here are actual pics of mats that I have used in real winters with lots of snow, salt and slush.

These are from my 1999 Honda CR-V that I bought new and kept for just shy of 15 years. My friend has it now.

Pants Savers are useless for holding any water, so I would place a dollar store chami under them.

Thanks to a couple of layers of 6 mil plastic, my carpets were dry till the 15th year.

Spring cleaning. This is after I removed the plastic sheets and Pants Savers. All it needed are a trim wipe down and some light vacuuming. These have never been shampooed.

These are the WeatherTechs I had in my 2013 VW Jetta TDI.

It may look like crap, but the following pic is after 4 winters and that is just after removing the plastic and WeatherTechs.

Not bad after 4 winters. They have not been shampooed.

After searching on the net, it appeared that Amazon sellers had about as good as a price as one might expect,.. Then just hours later after I purchased some just for the front of the RDX, Amazon reveals other sellers that offer the same exact model number for a lower price.. I researched that tactic a little bit to conclude my suspensions and it is true that Amazon does play that game. I'm not sure how to beat them at that game just yet, but will experiment next time if time permits.
I noticed the same thing and I beat them.

A Rigid 5 inch vise had a great price so I snapped it up. It was the first time I had been to the site to look at the vise.
Then a few days later, the price went up probably because they noticed I had been there before. A day later, it went up again.
I think they use the info on your PC to see if you were there.
JS2194 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 06:29 PM
Advanced

Here are actual pics of mats that I have used in real winters with lots of snow, salt and slush.

These are from my 1999 Honda CR-V that I bought new and kept for just shy of 15 years. My friend has it now.

Pants Savers are useless for holding any water, so I would place a dollar store chami under them.

Thanks to a couple of layers of 6 mil plastic, my carpets were dry till the 15th year.

Spring cleaning. This is after I removed the plastic sheets and Pants Savers. All it needed are a trim wipe down and some light vacuuming. These have never been shampooed.

It may look like crap, but the following pic is after 4 winters and that is just after removing the plastic and WeatherTechs.

A Rigid 5 inch vise had a great price so I snapped it up. It was the first time I had been to the site to look at the vise.
Then a few days later, the price went up probably because they noticed I had been there before. A day later, it went up again.
The plastic does provide a much wider and longer area of protection and simple and cheap enough..
Yea, Amazon... I think I need to search while not logged in to see if that makes a difference... Or it may just go by your IP address..
Thanks for your time and sharing what has worked so well for you.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Advanced

At first I was wondering what the heck is up with the plastic liner!? But after you lifted the mats I can see why you placed them for greater coverage. I try to rinse my mats and/or get my carpets cleaned every 3-4 months but this makes things easy
Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

At first I was wondering what the heck is up with the plastic liner!? But after you lifted the mats I can see why you placed them for greater coverage. I try to rinse my mats and/or get my carpets cleaned every 3-4 months but this makes things easy
The plastic vapour barrier extends upwards of each edge of the mats. Everything stays in there. The dollar chami just soaks up what overflows the Pants Savers (not really an issue with the WeatherTechs) and I wring it out every week.

I found this even more useful on the VW. German cars all have their gas pedals hinged at the bottom which is why you'll see plastic covering my VW Jetta gas pedal.

People say it looks like shit. And salted carpets look good? LOL