Nav Mark Current Location

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Nav Mark Current Location

This is probably obvious but I'm not seeing it. If I stop at a specific location and want to mark that spot for later return in my nav unit what's the process? With my Toyota nav you just press "Mark" on the screen and the address/location is saved but with the Acura I've looked everywhere for a "Mark" or "Set" or "Add"...any obvious button but must be looking past the obvious.
The solution is?
Thanks in Advance.

2017 RDX w Advance Pkg

Last edited by Gadgetjq; 02-02-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've struggled with this too......
And, the POI data base is lacking big time...... Trying to find a Costco and it wants to route me a thousand miles from my location.
No spoken street names keeps me guessing.... Garmin rules.
Acura made a major misstep when it went away from Garmin to it's own navigation system.... This is what Garmin does and it's good at it... user friendly, quick and for the most part, accurate.
I now have a Garmin Nuvi mounted on my windshield to have "real navigation" to find and mark locations.
OK, rant finished.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

The Mystery Deepens

Originally Posted by charlie65
I've struggled with this too.......
Judging from the number of responses we're not alone Charlie. Since we can't find it in the manual I'll swing by my Acura dealership and see if anyone there can find it. Every GPS I've ever used has a way to mark your current location. I can't imagine this one doesn't.

Cheers
Old 02-04-2017, 02:25 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Okay. I've a pre facelift car and I believe the menu is similar.
All I do is (while the map is showing current location) move the arrow cursor around till the road you are on (or any nearby road you are interested in) lights up in blue and press the enter button. It will show the current address at that location and the options on the menu are

1) Add to address book, 2) add to destination list, 3) view routes, 4) find nearest.... , and 5) set as destination.
Options 1,2 and 5 should help you to recover the address.
Hope it helps.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
This is probably obvious but I'm not seeing it. If I stop at a specific location and want to mark that spot for later return in my nav unit what's the process?
According to the owners manual there are two options to perform this task....
OPTION #1
Press the SETTINGS button. Select NAVI SETTINGS. Move sideways to the MAP tab. Select CURRENT LOCATION
At this point you will be provided with the latitude and longitude of your current position, as well as street address if it is available. You are also given the option to enter the location in your address book.

OPTION #2
Press the voice command button on the steering wheel. Say "Display Current Location".
At this point you will be provided with the latitude and longitude of your current position, as well as street address if it is available. You are also given the option to enter the location in your address book.

I have tested both methods and can verify they work as described.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX-Rick:
Gadgetjq (02-04-2017), Tech (09-14-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

RDX-Rick To The Rescue!

Thanks Rick, that works perfectly. I've printed your instructions and stashed them in the glovebox for the next time I need the tutorial. I 'knew' the system could do it, just couldn't find it in the manual. Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by charlie65
No spoken street names keeps me guessing.... .
I believe that this a limitation in the Canadian versions only.

After first purchasing my RDX I was also disappointed with the lack of spoken street names like my former Garmins had,

However I quickly discovered a feature the Acura does have that is actually more useful to me than street names.

The Garmin would say thing like "Turn right on King St. in 400 meters". I still had to concentrate on reading street signs (looking for King St.) and estimating 400 meters in my head. The Acura simply says "take the 2nd right" or "take the next street on the right", no need to read street signs or guess how far away 400 meters is.

If I could only choose spoken street names OR "take the next street on the right", I think the Acura method would be my choice.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Good information.But here's something to think about.Just don't mark Your Home location.
Imagine parking Your car,pressing lock on Your fob and dropping it instead of putting it in Your pocket.
Someone standing nearby sees the fob and decides to "joyride" Your car.Checks the NAV and selects Home.
Goes to Your home, presses the garage door button that You programmed into Your vehicle.Door opens and
if You have keys with Your fob, They enter Your home and load all of Your possesions that They can carry in
You car and drive away.
Sorry for being OCD,but I have erased My home location from all My navigation devices,including My phone.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:02 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown13
Good information.But here's something to think about.Just don't mark Your Home location.
Imagine parking Your car,pressing lock on Your fob and dropping it instead of putting it in Your pocket.
Someone standing nearby sees the fob and decides to "joyride" Your car.Checks the NAV and selects Home.
Goes to Your home, presses the garage door button that You programmed into Your vehicle.Door opens and
if You have keys with Your fob, They enter Your home and load all of Your possesions that They can carry in
You car and drive away.
Sorry for being OCD,but I have erased My home location from all My navigation devices,including My phone.
You are absolutely right in this. I always mark my home a different address or the nearest public place such as park/ bank / grocery shop etc.

The other feature which can be worrisome is that the garage opener works even when the car is turned off. Which means if the car is parked outside, anyone can break a window and open the garage which is connected to my home essentially eliminating the need for breaking a lock. My other car (MB) opens the garage only if the car is turned on, which is a minor irritation at times but safer. Thankfully my neighborhood is not that bad but you never can be too careful.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
You are absolutely right in this. I always mark my home a different address or the nearest public place such as park/ bank / grocery shop etc.

The other feature which can be worrisome is that the garage opener works even when the car is turned off. Which means if the car is parked outside, anyone can break a window and open the garage which is connected to my home essentially eliminating the need for breaking a lock. My other car (MB) opens the garage only if the car is turned on, which is a minor irritation at times but safer. Thankfully my neighborhood is not that bad but you never can be too careful.
We live in a not-bad neighborhood as well but there have been vehicle break-ins and mail theft in the area. Thieves ride unlit bicycles after midnight and can vanish almost instantly. Car alarm? Who cares? We finally cleaned out the garage so both vehicles are inside. That's tough to do if you drive an F150 or Yukon. (Aside from vehicle size I really don't understand how you can have $40K or more worth of vehicles parked outside and $500 worth of junk in the garage. Sorry, that's just me.)

Our sales guy says pick a nearby parkette and set that as Home. I still need to do that. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited by CanTex; 02-07-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
According to the owners manual there are two options to perform this task....
OPTION #1
Press the SETTINGS button. Select NAVI SETTINGS. Move sideways to the MAP tab. Select CURRENT LOCATION

OPTION #2
Press the voice command button on the steering wheel. Say "Display Current Location".

I have tested both methods and can verify they work as described.
Option 1 worked since it is right in the menu (and foolproof) once you find it.

Option 2 did not work on three tries. It kept coming up with a screen message about a phone not being connected (or found).