Less than enthusiastic impression of my 2016 FWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Less than enthusiastic impression of my 2016 FWD

I hope this long post doesn't come across as whining but I had to share my experience of my 2016 FWD RDX with Tech Package.

Background:
If you look at my earlier posts I came from a 2012 TL w/ Tech and due to an unfortunate accident in late 2017, I was forced to look for another vehicle. I decided to stick to Acura based on my TL experience but "upgraded" to a RDX.

What I liked about my TL was just how engaging and responsive the car was. I had come from a 99 Toyota Camry, that I had used for 14 years, before getting the TL. If it had not been for my unfortunate accident, I would have hung to the TL for as long as I could. We tend to hang on to our vehicles till they fall off I digress, but the TL always bought joy to my commute and I just loved it as my everyday car. I could care less for the outdated Navigation system because the drive quality and stability just made up for everything else. And coming from a 99 Camry, even Bluetooth/handsfree calling felt like cutting edge, to me

Experience with the RDX:
After my accident, where the TL had to be totaled, I thought "stepping up" to an RDX was the right thing to since it was a better vehicle in terms of features. I also have persistent lower back pain and the height of a compact SUV felt like a smarter idea in the long run (I know my back issue would only get worse with age). I also decided to stick to a FWD version, based on my TL experience, the TL could handle the relatively mild St Louis winter (occasional snow) with ease. So in that regard I didn't see a need for an AWD.
Lastly, I got the color combination like my TL .......so in my mind, I was basically getting a similar vehicle as my TL, cosmetically, but better in terms of performance, handling and features.... I was so wrong!

Issues-
- Tepid driver engagement. I am not a car expert but the RDX just does not engage me as the TL did. It just moves along without any excitement when accelerating and sometimes seems to struggle. The TL on the other hand just jolted you back when the torque kicked in during acceleration.
- Poor handling. Maybe I should have got the AWD version but the car feels "light" on tight curves. And if the roads are wet, the car actually slips and slides almost to the point I have to slow down. Manouevering sharp turns are scary!
- Sluggish/frustrating infotainment system - I thought with the tech package and new upgrades, the system would be much more fun....... but what I am experiencing is sluggish response during phone calls and just the overall experience of the system, is frustrating. It hangs often and struggles to keep up with commands. And it sometimes gets so bad that I literally want to break it!

Feedback that I am looking for:
- Would different tires make the handling better? The car came with stock tires
- I have not upgraded the software of the infotainment system. Would upgrades make the general response better (and less frustrating)?
- I have been seeing visions of the Mazda CX-5 with Turbo engine lately.... should I take steps to make that vision a reality? Maybe that's the Acura I was hoping this would be

Again, this post is NOT intended to diss the Acura brand, if anything, I am one of Acura's biggest proponents and still believe it's the greatest value out there...

Any input to make this experience better, will be very appreciated.

EDIT:
Here's the very first car (TL); as I was reading thru my 6 year old post, I can still sense the excitement of having got my TL ... man, I miss that so much!
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...re-she-882546/

Last edited by bugsnest; 03-15-2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Acura ABSOLUTELY neutered the 2nd gen RDX to be numb, as a family hauler. if you were looking for something more engaging, the 2nd RDX wouldnt be it.
they took away the turbo4 and replaced it with a smooth v6 and reworked the suspension to be numb, as well as neutering or watering down the SHAWD. some basic research would have told you all of this.

I understand you may have been under a time crunch, but that's what happens when we rush in life. Dont do anything hastily. Even a tiny test drive would have revealed ALL of this to you.

Go test drive the Mazda!!! zoom Zoom!!!

Last edited by justnspace; 03-15-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 AM

as far as tires; they may help you navigate sketchy weather conditions better, as new tires will have deeper treads to evacuate water. You may also need an alignment, however, the 2nd gen RDX is a pig. it's MADE to be a pig. it's made to satisfy soccer moms.

Mazda's have ALWAYS been known for their driving experience! even in their SUV's, Go test drive MULTIPLE SUVs and find one that you are satisfied with.

the problem was; assuming the same brand drives the way your old car did. cant do that. always always go in with an open mind to ALL brands, makes and models. Test drive multiple examples of each brand, until you're driving something you like.

I believe I took up to six months looking for a car.

Last edited by justnspace; 03-15-2019 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bugsnest (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 AM

my family did something similar.. we had a 2004 Nissan Frontier. One of the best vehicles we have ever owned. Family member wrecked it and in haste went directly to nissan to pick up their latest frontier offering.
this new one is okay, but it doesnt retain the same characteristics of the 2004, of which we liked soo much.

in my short 32 years of life, Ive learned that hastily decisions will most likely have poor results.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
The RDX sits much higher up and will not handle exactly like your TL did, but the 2g RDX handles very well for an SUV. Tires make a huge difference. If handling is your priority, invest in some good, sticky, performance tires. They may not last as long as stock ones, but handling will be improved. I can't speak for the 16, but my 15 sticks to the road like glue, and does very well in the rain. FWD definitely neuters the car as well - it's always pulling. Mine is an AWD, and there is definitely more of a "push" under hard acceleration.

I test drove a Mazda CX-5 turbo just a few weeks ago. Nice vehicle - handles and accelerates well, but I wouldn't say it's any better than my 2g RDX. One thing I noticed in the Mazda is excessive torque steer. The RDX V6 is a gem in that regard - lots of smooth, linear power with minimal torque steer.

Question - did you test drive the RDX before buying it? It sounds like your issues would have been obvious to you during a test drive.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced

thanks for chiming in. I am sure my complaints make it sound like I bought this sight unseen but that was not the case

A 1 hour test drive in ideal conditions reveals very little when compared to a 1 year experience in real world situations (weather, traffic etc.). There is also the added stress/excitement when you have just totaled a car and in the market for another one, this time in a different car class. So yeah, all that did not make the purchase the most ideal.

I recently test drove a 2018 TL w/ Tech and was reasonably impressed with the "upgrades" it has over the RDX like Car Play and the standard safety features (lane assist etc.). Maybe I am talking myself into trading my RDX in for a TL. I can live with some back pain
Old 03-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by bugsnest
Issues-
- Tepid driver engagement.
- Poor handling.
First of all....its an SUV and it really does not matter which one you get. I test drove a Porsche Macan and I am sure the Cayenne would be no different. They are SUVs, period! If you want sports car handling, get a sports car. Personally, I love the relaxed drive my RDX gives me.

I never brought this up since I really do not want to step on some owner's toes, but when I go to any car forum including this one and I read about some owner putting on rubber bands for tires (going up 2 or 3 inches in rim size) in their SUV, I have to wonder and chuckle.

Plus you went from a car to an SUV. My VW TDI drove a lot better than my CR-V before it.
NBP04TL4ME (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 06:46 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I agree with Tech. In our garage we have my wife's 2016 RDX Advance and my 2008 TL Type S. They are night and day different in terms of driving experience and dynamics. For the first couple of miles driving the RDX, I have to re-acclimate myself to the brakes and handling or lack thereof compared to my Type S. The RDX on it's own is fine and I enjoy driving it, but it's absolutely not the same vehicle type or otherwise.

PS - my daughter's 09 Accord falls somewhere in between.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tech
First of all....its an SUV and it really does not matter which one you get. I test drove a Porsche Macan and I am sure the Cayenne would be no different. They are SUVs, period! If you want sports car handling, get a sports car. Personally, I love the relaxed drive my RDX gives me.

I never brought this up since I really do not want to step on some owner's toes, but when I go to any car forum including this one and I read about some owner putting on rubber bands for tires (going up 2 or 3 inches in rim size) in their SUV, I have to wonder and chuckle.

Plus you went from a car to an SUV. My VW TDI drove a lot better than my CR-V before it.
I didn't follow the rubber band reference but that's okay. I have driven the Cayenne and an X3, and it handles WAY better than the RDX. I wasn't expecting sports car like handling from the RDX but didn't think it would be so "light" either.

I thought a crossover/compact-SUV should ideally have the "feel" of a sedan on a slightly raised platform. The Porsche and BMW crossovers come closer to that feeling, the RDX does not. Compound that with the slow infotainment system etc., the overall experience is less than stellar. That was my point.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
The 2nd gen RDX is somewhat bland and unresponsive in the handling department, lighter wider wheels and tires with more grip do help.
Though it still no Vette, my RDX does handle more predictably and stops better than my wife’s standard RDX.
The wider gripper tires might also go some way to help offset your lack of AWD.

I used Enkei Fujin wheels 18 x 8 with a 40 mm offset.
Dunlop SIGNATURE HP 255 /55 R18 109V XL BSW tires which have an AA traction rating.
Enkei Wheels 19lbs and Dunlop tires 30LBS = 49LBS
Original RDX wheels 26LBS and Michelin tires 28LBS = 54LBS
Resulted in potentially better traction, braking and handling with reduced un-sprung weight.

Last edited by danemobile; 03-15-2019 at 09:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by danemobile:
bugsnest (03-15-2019), Comfy (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by danemobile
The 2nd gen RDX is somewhat bland and unresponsive in the handling department, lighter wider wheels and tires with more grip do help.
Though it still no Vette, my RDX does handle more predictably and stops better than my wife’s standard RDX.
The wider gripper tires might also go some way to help offset your lack of AWD.

I used Enkei Fujin wheels 18 x 8 with a 40 mm offset.
Dunlop SIGNATURE HP 255 /55 R18 109V XL BSW tires which have an AA traction rating.
Enkei Wheels 19lbs and Dunlop tires 30LBS = 49LBS
Original RDX wheels 26LBS and Michelin tires 28LBS = 54LBS
Resulted in potentially better traction, braking and handling with reduced un-sprung weight.
Thanks for the useful info. I might look into new wider tires if I decide to keep the car.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:45 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
thanks for chiming in. I am sure my complaints make it sound like I bought this sight unseen but that was not the case

A 1 hour test drive in ideal conditions reveals very little when compared to a 1 year experience in real world situations (weather, traffic etc.). There is also the added stress/excitement when you have just totaled a car and in the market for another one, this time in a different car class. So yeah, all that did not make the purchase the most ideal.

I recently test drove a 2018 TL w/ Tech and was reasonably impressed with the "upgrades" it has over the RDX like Car Play and the standard safety features (lane assist etc.). Maybe I am talking myself into trading my RDX in for a TL. I can live with some back pain
Do you mean to say that you are trading it for a 2018 TLX? I believe TL has been discontinued , isn't it.
Semantics aside, if you love that particular ride, go for it by all means. I have only had one test drive in a TLX so far (during a service visit for my RDX) and I loved the taut handling, but the acceleration felt rather poor, later did the salesman told me that I had the driver setting kept on economy or something like that (instead of sport). So you are absolutely right, you cannot test everything during a short test drive, unless you have researched and knew everything beforehand and are practically just going to verify what you already know during the test drive.
For me, I simply love the high riding position, smooth powerful engine, and somewhat cushy ride of the RDX which is exactly what I wanted. I find driving the RDX much more satisfying than my Mercedes sedan especially in town - which is 95% of my driving (only on interstate rides at high speeds the sedan excels over the RDX).
Old 03-16-2019, 07:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Comfy
Do you mean to say that you are trading it for a 2018 TLX? I believe TL has been discontinued , isn't it.
Semantics aside, if you love that particular ride, go for it by all means. I have only had one test drive in a TLX so far (during a service visit for my RDX) and I loved the taut handling, but the acceleration felt rather poor, later did the salesman told me that I had the driver setting kept on economy or something like that (instead of sport). So you are absolutely right, you cannot test everything during a short test drive, unless you have researched and knew everything beforehand and are practically just going to verify what you already know during the test drive.
For me, I simply love the high riding position, smooth powerful engine, and somewhat cushy ride of the RDX which is exactly what I wanted. I find driving the RDX much more satisfying than my Mercedes sedan especially in town - which is 95% of my driving (only on interstate rides at high speeds the sedan excels over the RDX).
you are right. It’s TLX and not TL. I guess I’m still stuck in 2012
Old 03-16-2019, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

I have driven the Cayenne and an X3, and it handles WAY better than the RDX. I thought a crossover/compact-SUV should ideally have the "feel" of a sedan on a slightly raised platform. The Porsche and BMW crossovers come closer to that feeling, the RDX does not.
Guess its a matter of expectations. I was looking for long term reliability (like my Honda CR-V), I did not want the "status factor" in a daily driver and I wanted a normally aspirated engine. The Macan and X3 were nice but both had turbos plus they had too much "status factor" in a daily driver for my liking. And if I really want to go, I have my 911s, so that may be a reason for choice.
Comfy (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I didn't follow the rubber band reference but that's okay. I have driven the Cayenne and an X3, and it handles WAY better than the RDX. I wasn't expecting sports car like handling from the RDX but didn't think it would be so "light" either.

I thought a crossover/compact-SUV should ideally have the "feel" of a sedan on a slightly raised platform. The Porsche and BMW crossovers come closer to that feeling, the RDX does not. Compound that with the slow infotainment system etc., the overall experience is less than stellar. That was my point.
Lousy infotainment system aside, it looks like you are mostly disappointed by RDX handling and driver engagement.

No SUV will drive like a car within the same brand. Porsche Macan will not handle better than 911. BMW X3 will not drive like M3, or even 325. But, Macan handling is better than the Camry, or you beloved TL. I used to own TL and drove Macan, so I can compare.

With all said, you drove Porsche and BMW, but purchased an Acura. Beside quite a difference in in reliability and in price tag between Porsche-BMW and Acura, apparently there were enough reasons for you to decide on Acura after test drive. You made your choice. Deal with it or trade RDX for the car you like. Good luck!

Comfy (03-16-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Clickit02
Lousy infotainment system aside, it looks like you are mostly disappointed by RDX handling and driver engagement.

No SUV will drive like a car within the same brand. Porsche Macan will not handle better than 911. BMW X3 will not drive like M3, or even 325. But, Macan handling is better than the Camry, or you beloved TL. I used to own TL and drove Macan, so I can compare.

With all said, you drove Porsche and BMW, but purchased an Acura. Beside quite a difference in in reliability and in price tag between Porsche-BMW and Acura, apparently there were enough reasons for you to decide on Acura after test drive. You made your choice. Deal with it or trade RDX for the car you like. Good luck!
You are making broad assumptions or taking my points out of context.

I never said I “test drove” a Porsche and BMW before deciding on an Acura. No... I drove a Macan and X3 at some point in my life and found them to be more fun than an RDX. Someone was implying that they all ride the same but my point was they are clearly different.

And i know an SUV rides different than a sedan. My wife drives a Pilot. But a “compact SUV” generally tends to be more aligned to their sedan counterparts. I’m sure there are still differences but some see it as a worthy compromise between a sedan and an SUV (and manufacturers even position them as such).

Lastly, thanks for stating the obvious that a Macan drives better than a Camry. Just in case someone were ever trying to compare the 2, they have this amazing piece of information now
Old 03-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

OK, so how was everybody's St. Patrick's Day?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Old 03-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I hope this long post doesn't come across as whining but I had to share my experience of my 2016 FWD RDX with Tech Package.

Background:
If you look at my earlier posts I came from a 2012 TL w/ Tech and due to an unfortunate accident in late 2017, I was forced to look for another vehicle. I decided to stick to Acura based on my TL experience but "upgraded" to a RDX.

What I liked about my TL was just how engaging and responsive the car was. I had come from a 99 Toyota Camry, that I had used for 14 years, before getting the TL. If it had not been for my unfortunate accident, I would have hung to the TL for as long as I could. We tend to hang on to our vehicles till they fall off I digress, but the TL always bought joy to my commute and I just loved it as my everyday car. I could care less for the outdated Navigation system because the drive quality and stability just made up for everything else. And coming from a 99 Camry, even Bluetooth/handsfree calling felt like cutting edge, to me

Experience with the RDX:
After my accident, where the TL had to be totaled, I thought "stepping up" to an RDX was the right thing to since it was a better vehicle in terms of features. I also have persistent lower back pain and the height of a compact SUV felt like a smarter idea in the long run (I know my back issue would only get worse with age). I also decided to stick to a FWD version, based on my TL experience, the TL could handle the relatively mild St Louis winter (occasional snow) with ease. So in that regard I didn't see a need for an AWD.
Lastly, I got the color combination like my TL .......so in my mind, I was basically getting a similar vehicle as my TL, cosmetically, but better in terms of performance, handling and features.... I was so wrong!

Issues-
- Tepid driver engagement. I am not a car expert but the RDX just does not engage me as the TL did. It just moves along without any excitement when accelerating and sometimes seems to struggle. The TL on the other hand just jolted you back when the torque kicked in during acceleration.
- Poor handling. Maybe I should have got the AWD version but the car feels "light" on tight curves. And if the roads are wet, the car actually slips and slides almost to the point I have to slow down. Manouevering sharp turns are scary!
- Sluggish/frustrating infotainment system - I thought with the tech package and new upgrades, the system would be much more fun....... but what I am experiencing is sluggish response during phone calls and just the overall experience of the system, is frustrating. It hangs often and struggles to keep up with commands. And it sometimes gets so bad that I literally want to break it!

Feedback that I am looking for:
- Would different tires make the handling better? The car came with stock tires
- I have not upgraded the software of the infotainment system. Would upgrades make the general response better (and less frustrating)?
- I have been seeing visions of the Mazda CX-5 with Turbo engine lately.... should I take steps to make that vision a reality? Maybe that's the Acura I was hoping this would be

Again, this post is NOT intended to diss the Acura brand, if anything, I am one of Acura's biggest proponents and still believe it's the greatest value out there...

Any input to make this experience better, will be very appreciated.

EDIT:
Here's the very first car (TL); as I was reading thru my 6 year old post, I can still sense the excitement of having got my TL ... man, I miss that so much!
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...re-she-882546/
Sorry to hear about your disappointments with your 2016 RDX FWD. I own a 2016 RDX AWD version with Advance Package so basically fully loaded in every way. I really enjoy it and feel it does drive somewhat sedan or car like. You just sit up higher which I also like. I too have back issues and getting in and out is comfortable and easy. Love the silky smooth J35 V6 engine, 6-Speed trans (vs. that crappy 9-speed). Plenty of power for almost anything. Handling is pretty good with the AWD. My only one downside would be the lacking infotainment system but I can live with it. Other than that, really nice vehicle.
bugsnest (03-18-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:00 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I get your concerns. I find our 16 RDX to be ok in some areas but the rough shifting transmission really lets it down. Especially bad when cold, the jerky shifts are really disconcerting. I find the handling to be pretty decent for an SUV. The engine itself is pretty silky other than the VCM system which is readily apparent on the highway in my experience. I would suggest you give the CX-5 turbo a try and see what you think. I would be doing the same if I wasn't still upside down on my RDX.
bugsnest (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Advanced

I just wanted to share an update... but before that, I wanted to thank everyone for chiming in. I also wanted to apologize if some of my responses may have come across as defensive or harsh. My personal experience with the RDX was less than satisfactory and it's not the greatest feeling... but it's just that, my personal experience. It's in no way reflective of the brand or model.

That said, I spent a lot of time test driving some vehicles over the weekend. Tried to be as objective as possible to make a financially sound decision. After a lot of back and forth and test drives, I finally traded in my RDX for a 2018 V6 TLX FWD w/Tech.

The vehicle was a service loaner and CPO. Less than 6K miles. The dealer offered an aggressive price on the vehicle and the trade-in... it also came in a color combo that I like... The chances of all this coming together in my city is low, so I think it was meant to happen !!

I bet at some point in my life I will look at the RDX again (I am convinced I am an Acura guy for life!). At that point, I will make sure I get the right configuration (AWD for sure, A-spec maybe) but for now, I'll have some fun with the TLX

Best wishes.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One way to make you RDX a bit more fun to drive is install a little device in your engine bay to prevent the VCM from kicking in. That way you can drive with 6 cylinders working all the time. It improved my driving experience with my 2016 RDX. You will feel a very apparent difference especially when you go uphill.

I also have the rough shifting problem, which dealer cannot do anything with. Next time I want to use a non-OEM transmission fluid such as Valvoline or Redline.
​​​​​
Old 03-22-2019, 04:28 AM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
I get your concerns. I find our 16 RDX to be ok in some areas but the rough shifting transmission really lets it down. Especially bad when cold, the jerky shifts are really disconcerting. I find the handling to be pretty decent for an SUV. The engine itself is pretty silky other than the VCM system which is readily apparent on the highway in my experience. I would suggest you give the CX-5 turbo a try and see what you think. I would be doing the same if I wasn't still upside down on my RDX.
Yup. I get that too in my 2016 RDX but at this point I live with it because it only happens in cold weather and also goes away real quick (couple minutes) once warmed up enough. I just don't want the dealer screwing anything up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it sort of thing.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:48 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I just wanted to share an update... but before that, I wanted to thank everyone for chiming in. I also wanted to apologize if some of my responses may have come across as defensive or harsh. My personal experience with the RDX was less than satisfactory and it's not the greatest feeling... but it's just that, my personal experience. It's in no way reflective of the brand or model.

That said, I spent a lot of time test driving some vehicles over the weekend. Tried to be as objective as possible to make a financially sound decision. After a lot of back and forth and test drives, I finally traded in my RDX for a 2018 V6 TLX FWD w/Tech.

The vehicle was a service loaner and CPO. Less than 6K miles. The dealer offered an aggressive price on the vehicle and the trade-in... it also came in a color combo that I like... The chances of all this coming together in my city is low, so I think it was meant to happen !!

I bet at some point in my life I will look at the RDX again (I am convinced I am an Acura guy for life!). At that point, I will make sure I get the right configuration (AWD for sure, A-spec maybe) but for now, I'll have some fun with the TLX

Best wishes.
That was awesome. Hope you got the killer deal this time. TLX V6 is a great car from what I hear (and test drove once). I know that feeling about “lifetime Acura guy”. . I already know that whenever I replace the RDX it’ll be another Acura.