AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   Leaving my 2008 sh awd rdx (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/leaving-my-2008-sh-awd-rdx-980808/)

Joe123inc 07-07-2019 06:59 AM

Leaving my 2008 sh awd rdx

The time has come for me to part ways with my 08 rdx, I love it but it now has 135k on it and the air compressor is shot, the rear struts are shot and so is the alternator. I kept it great shape and it been a good vehicle for the most part. Looking at a 2013 rdx with 65k miles one owner with all records, it’s very clean but is opposite color of mine, it has white with tan interior but I think I’m going to go with it. I also saw a 2011 tl shawd with 65 miles that’s a cream puff but seems kind of old now that it’s 2019 and I can’t see my self going back to a sedan after enjoying the ride height of the suv. Thoughts on going from a 08 to 13? Totally different feels but I think I’ll adjust.

justnspace 07-07-2019 08:26 AM

Go test drive it, we can't tell you if you would enjoy the comfy, non-sport v6 or not...

very different animal compared to the sporty turbo rdx

Go test drive it

jjrphs 07-07-2019 10:47 AM

I can't directly compare the 1st Gen RDX to the 2nd Gen, but what I can tell you is I bought a 13 RDX-TECH for my wife in 1/2018 with a little less than 60k miles. After years of hauling the kids around in mini-vans and a Pilot she absolutely loves the RDX. She loves the size, sportiness and features. I don't drive it very often but when I do...those 270 ponies under the hood make make for a very satisfying experience.

One detraction which requires addressing IMO is deactivation of the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system. On our RDX the VCM was causing driveability issues...issues which were completely eliminated by the installation of a S-VCM controller and putting MaxLife synthetic ATF in the transmission over Honda's DW1.

Running on all 6 cylinders all the time + MaxLIfe synthetic ATF transformed transformed the driving experience in the RDX.

Here's thread I started with my experience

2013 RDX-TECH AWD - MaxLife ATF + S-VCM Controller

Joe123inc 07-07-2019 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16449382)
Go test drive it, we can't tell you if you would enjoy the comfy, non-sport v6 or not...

very different animal compared to the sporty turbo rdx

Go test drive it

Test drove it and it it really is well maintained, gear shifting is not the best I’m thinking because it is 7 years old. It is totally different than my 2008, feels like going from a Audi to a Lexus if that makes sense. Time to grow up I guess lol.

justnspace 07-07-2019 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Joe123inc (Post 16449433)
Test drove it and it it really is well maintained, gear shifting is not the best I’m thinking because it is 7 years old. It is totally different than my 2008, feels like going from a Audi to a Lexus if that makes sense. Time to grow up I guess lol.

Of course, Acura changed the character of the 2nd gen RDX to appease soccer mom's.

Go test drive multiple examples to see if the tranny shifting is better in a different example

Joe123inc 07-07-2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by jjrphs (Post 16449426)
I can't directly compare the 1st Gen RDX to the 2nd Gen, but what I can tell you is I bought a 13 RDX-TECH for my wife in 1/2018 with a little less than 60k miles. After years of hauling the kids around in mini-vans and a Pilot she absolutely loves the RDX. She loves the size, sportiness and features. I don't drive it very often but when I do...those 270 ponies under the hood make make for a very satisfying experience.

One detraction which requires addressing IMO is deactivation of the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system. On our RDX the VCM was causing driveability issues...issues which were completely eliminated by the installation of a S-VCM controller and putting MaxLife synthetic ATF in the transmission over Honda's DW1.

Running on all 6 cylinders all the time + MaxLIfe synthetic ATF transformed transformed the driving experience in the RDX.

Here's thread I started with my experience

2013 RDX-TECH AWD - MaxLife ATF + S-VCM Controller

Thanks for the reply I will check it out. The vehicle really is a cream puff with all the records from the dealer since it was new, new tires and brakes. The transmission is not as smooth as I was thinking and I guess that is what your thread is about, it is 7 years old so I kind of was expecting that but I’m not trying to spend 25k on a 2016, Acura has a funny way of working it’s self out and I can’t see any major issue coming from the transmission in the future. Praying the a/c doesn’t go! The 2008 had major A/c issues for me in all different ways. Dealer records show a/c system flush and charge on this one which is solid.

Joe123inc 07-07-2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16449435)
Of course, Acura changed the character of the 2nd gen RDX to appease soccer mom's.

Go test drive multiple examples to see if the tranny shifting is better in a different example

Haha yes, I’m a 30 year old single dad with a 12 year old daughter who plays softball so I’m kind of a soccer mom hahaha, she doesn’t want me to get the tl! I’ve driven a 2017 loaner and it was much smoother, I live in the city so really I just drive stop and go then go on highways so I’ll just make the move and pick it up tomorrow, it’s honestly the only suv I would buy anyway.

imnuts 07-07-2019 09:01 PM

Unless you really get on the gas, the shifting is very slow. It is slightly better in S(port) mode, but only slightly. Overall, I don't mind the RDX we have, but I don't know if my wife or I would actually get one again.

Comfy 07-07-2019 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16449382)
Go test drive it, we can't tell you if you would enjoy the “comfy”, non-sport v6 or not...it

We definitely enjoy the “comfy” ride and silky smooth V6 in our 2014 RDX. It has over 75k miles now but still our favorite compared to our other cars.

kernel_panic 07-08-2019 05:59 PM

I recently purchased a 2013 RDX FWD Base with 105,000 miles & I've been loving it so far. My previous car was a 9th gen civic, so obviously it feels like a massive upgrade for me. The V6 engine is a breath of fresh air.

Joe123inc 07-08-2019 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by kernel_panic (Post 16450144)
I recently purchased a 2013 RDX FWD Base with 105,000 miles & I've been loving it so far. My previous car was a 9th gen civic, so obviously it feels like a massive upgrade for me. The V6 engine is a breath of fresh air.

I picked it up today, feels like a brand new car. Big difference from the first gen. Time to introduce it to the city streets!

mrgold35 07-09-2019 07:49 AM

The good thing about the 13 RDX is it will be the perfect car for your daughter when she starts to drive in a few years. I handed down my 06 TSX to my son in his Jr. year in High School and it is still going strong going into his Sr year of college. Letting my daughter borrow my 08 RDX with +165,000 miles and she loves it and wants to buy it from me because it is in such great shape.

justnspace 07-09-2019 08:20 AM

Dont get me confused!

while I used the term "Comfy" that had a little negative connotation to it, Comfy works for a lot of people. They sold a lot of second gen RDX's.

it's a good thing to be comfy and to use a tried and true power plant; the silky smooth 3.5l v6.

That's the great thing about choices.
people can choose what they like in a vehicle, as there many many different vehicles out there

Joe123inc 07-10-2019 07:04 AM

This will be a great car to hand down to my daughter for sure, loving it so far. The acceleration feels pretty much the same as the 2008 but there is a major difference on the highway. It is also more comfy as far as ride quality and hitting pot holes, it feels much bigger too, I think it’s because because of the tan interior which is nice. People look at me crazy when I say I bought a 2013 hahaha I might have to start telling them it’s a 2015 so I don’t have to explain my choice every time! Payment is $283 per month after giving them 4K down and getting a 3year 50k bumper to bumper warranty for another 2k and that only made my payment go from 269 to 283 pm. Very happy with that.

justnspace 07-10-2019 07:49 AM

what's the total price of the car?

monthly payments dont tell us anything, or the whole picture at least.(cuz you left out the term and APR)