Key fob cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Dedalus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Key fob cover

Posting this here because it seems like more of a general Acura question. My 2013 RDX is still just a few weeks old. I had it in for service (installation of a few accessories, etc.) and the loaner they gave me was a TL. I don't remember if it was 2012 or 2013, but the data plate showed an assembly date of July. So it wasn't that old, and the fob was all beat to heck. I realize it's basically a rental and might not get treated with lots of care, but it gives an idea of what an old fob can look like. So the question is whether there are covers available anywhere. I've come across a leather cover, but I'm thinking more along the lines of rubber or plastic, and possibly colorful. The way I think of it, I'm almost never going to actually use it, but it will sit in my pocket with other random objects, including coins. Lots of things to tear up the fob. Any ideas?
Mike Todd
Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Your dealer should have them. Or an online parts retailer.

Even Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Car Talk is more for models not covered by one of our forums and a majority of members who participate here are not Acura owners. You'll get much better responses from other Acura owners in the RDX section... so I'll drop this there for you.

Welcome
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Dedalus

My question then is where to post if you want to reach all/most Acura owners, regardless of model. Fort the key fob, I believe that is the same regardless of model, at least for the past year or two (or more, I'm not really sure). Although I own an RDX, Acura sells many more MDXs and so there might be more readers there. And I would think it might go against rules or etiquette to post the same question in every Acura model area to reach everybody. Or maybe there could be a function where something for Acuras in general gets posted (if the poster selects it) in each of the areas.

And just to help me understand this site a little better, it's for Acura enthusiasts but the vast majority of those enthusiasts hang out in the area for their specific model, and the majority of those who hang out in the general area are not Acura enthusiasts?

Thanks for any clarification you can give me.

Mike Todd
Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dedalus5550
Posting this here because it seems like more of a general Acura question. My 2013 RDX is still just a few weeks old. I had it in for service (installation of a few accessories, etc.) and the loaner they gave me was a TL. I don't remember if it was 2012 or 2013, but the data plate showed an assembly date of July. So it wasn't that old, and the fob was all beat to heck. I realize it's basically a rental and might not get treated with lots of care, but it gives an idea of what an old fob can look like. So the question is whether there are covers available anywhere. I've come across a leather cover, but I'm thinking more along the lines of rubber or plastic, and possibly colorful. The way I think of it, I'm almost never going to actually use it, but it will sit in my pocket with other random objects, including coins. Lots of things to tear up the fob. Any ideas?
Mike Todd
I too had the same concern you have so I searched the forums and found a post about a site to order from.

http://www.remotetotes.com/orderform/

I picked up a remote tote in gray and in orange. You will need to make sure you get the extra large size so it will fit the 2013 RDX key properly.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
I found a pretty cool leather key fob protector on ebay. It's called: Carbon Fiber Leather Smart Remote Key Holder Fob Case A.......whew!! It has a carbon fiber look. Their number is: 140543987958. The seller is: motoringmax.
They are only or were $7.49 and free shipping. I bought 2 and so far we really like them. They have a snap and when opened you can "swing the fob out if you need to "push any buttons." It also comes with a clip system to attach whatever...but, I don't use that.

Check it out. For the money, I think they are great.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I must not have the right stuff in my pockets. Small folding knife in left pocket, CCW inside the waistband, right pocket gets the key fob w/house key. I traded the XC60 after 3.3 years and both key fobs looked good as new...no cover used. No, I don't carry change except from the store/restaurant to the car, where it immediately goes in the 'ash tray'.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I found a pretty cool leather key fob protector on ebay. It's called: Carbon Fiber Leather Smart Remote Key Holder Fob Case A.......whew!! It has a carbon fiber look. Their number is: 140543987958. The seller is: motoringmax.
They are only or were $7.49 and free shipping. I bought 2 and so far we really like them. They have a snap and when opened you can "swing the fob out if you need to "push any buttons." It also comes with a clip system to attach whatever...but, I don't use that.

Check it out. For the money, I think they are great.
These are 9.99 now. Motoringmax must have raised the price. It is still a good deal though. My only problem is they only offer 1 color type. I see that there is an extra snap button that allows you to swing the key out. Does that mean the key is left somewhat exposed? I foresee coins and other things getting stuck inside between the leather and the key.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

No, the key is not exposed....well the "open sides" are there, but the fob is not "hanging out." True, only 1 color, but, the black with red stitching is not bad. But, I know, some will want pink, purple, etc...LOL!!

True, IF you carry the fob in a pocket full of loose change I'm sure that would be an issue. For me it's not. I don't carry loose change any more, and I'm careful which pocket I put the fob in. I try to be careful even with the leather cover. I'm not sure there is a perfect cover out there. I guess a snug fitting thin leather one that covers the entire fob, but, then somebody would complain about getting it out, etc.

Just for "fun news"....the new Accords have gone to the same system as our RDX's. And, this part gets me!!!....their fob has MUCH better construction than ours. Theirs is more like ours should be. Hardened chrome edges, etc. It is really nice....feels and oozes quality. I was jealous!! LOL!! Those new Accord interiors are really cool too.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 11-05-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I must be missing something. As long as the fob works who cares what it looks like. Are the Acura fobs really that fragile? Isn't it out of sight 99.9% of the time in a pocket or a purse. I just traded in a 10 year old Infiniti and the fob was in decent shape and I doubt the new owner cares about how the fob looks compared to the condition of the vehicle. To each their own though.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by geocord
I must be missing something. As long as the fob works who cares what it looks like. Are the Acura fobs really that fragile? Isn't it out of sight 99.9% of the time in a pocket or a purse. I just traded in a 10 year old Infiniti and the fob was in decent shape and I doubt the new owner cares about how the fob looks compared to the condition of the vehicle. To each their own though.
Well, the reason I said what I did is because I have read many on this RDX site upset that their fobs were getting all scratched, knicked, paint flaking off etc. They don't look so nice after a short time of unprotected use.

My point was, Lexus, BMW..and other luxury cars....have fobs that are "hardened" to take much more punishment than ours. The new Accords look much like the "high dollar" cars fobs.
And will wear much better than ours.

Yes, each to their own. If you don't care what your's looks like that's fine. Many do. Doesn't make you right or wrong. Just different.
Some reading my info. will relate and understand since they were upset after a few months of unprotected use they looked beat up, paint off, etc. I've seen pics of them...and I've seen others of folks I know.

Have a great unprotected day!! Uhhh...Hmmm...that might not be good if you are done having kids!! OK....just having a light moment here. Wish Spring were almost here!!

Take care....of your unprotected thingy....uhhhhh fob....uhhhh whatever they call them now!
The following users liked this post:
wizardjjr (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another new RDX owner here who's quite disappointed with the quality of the FOB. I hate how the key "rattles" inside the holder and also that it's just painted plastic.

This is by far the cheapest feeling FOB I've seen.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Well, the reason I said what I did is because I have read many on this RDX site upset that their fobs were getting all scratched, knicked, paint flaking off etc. They don't look so nice after a short time of unprotected use.

My point was, Lexus, BMW..and other luxury cars....have fobs that are "hardened" to take much more punishment than ours. The new Accords look much like the "high dollar" cars fobs.
And will wear much better than ours.

Yes, each to their own. If you don't care what your's looks like that's fine. Many do. Doesn't make you right or wrong. Just different.
Some reading my info. will relate and understand since they were upset after a few months of unprotected use they looked beat up, paint off, etc. I've seen pics of them...and I've seen others of folks I know.

Have a great unprotected day!! Uhhh...Hmmm...that might not be good if you are done having kids!! OK....just having a light moment here. Wish Spring were almost here!!

Take care....of your unprotected thingy....uhhhhh fob....uhhhh whatever they call them now!
I wasn't replying directly to you so need to take it personally and be defensive. I was completely aware why you were providing the info ie. in response to concerns of others. I was just expressing my opinion. I have had fobs for over 20 years and have kept a lot of those cars for 7-10 years and have yet to have a fob that I would describe as trashy looking and many of those vehicles were not considered "luxury" vehicles. Worn yes, but that is expected. I currently still have a 2003 Tundra and the fobs are in good shape. Maybe I'm extra careful with them but I don't think so. I try to carry less weight and bulk in my pockets so I really don't like the idea of having to buy a cover for the fob. And yes, I do care what they look like to a degree. I don't think I said I didn't care what it looked like.

I have only had my Acura fob for a little over a month so I guess I may be premature in my opinion. If in fact the fob is so cheaply made that it starts to look trashy I'll have to deal with it. Has anybody with a prematurely worn fob approached the dealer about it? Maybe if enough people complain to Acura they may come up with a better one and switch them out.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I wasn't replying directly to you so need to take it personally and be defensive. I was completely aware why you were providing the info ie. in response to concerns of others. I was just expressing my opinion. I have had fobs for over 20 years and have kept a lot of those cars for 7-10 years and have yet to have a fob that I would describe as trashy looking and many of those vehicles were not considered "luxury" vehicles. Worn yes, but that is expected. I currently still have a 2003 Tundra and the fobs are in good shape. Maybe I'm extra careful with them but I don't think so. I try to carry less weight and bulk in my pockets so I really don't like the idea of having to buy a cover for the fob. And yes, I do care what they look like to a degree. I don't think I said I didn't care what it looked like.

I have only had my Acura fob for a little over a month so I guess I may be premature in my opinion. If in fact the fob is so cheaply made that it starts to look trashy I'll have to deal with it. Has anybody with a prematurely worn fob approached the dealer about it? Maybe if enough people complain to Acura they may come up with a better one and switch them out.
Duck 'duct' Tape comes in all sorts of colors and patterns, now...even College logos. Sounds like a multi-tasking opportunity just a waitin'
Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I wear jeans all the time (at work too), So the small pocket holds the FOB perfectly. I just have t remember taking the FOB out before I throw the jean in the washer!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Wow...who's the sensitive one?? I certainly didn't take it personally nor was I defensive. I was simply making a reply and opinion that many share. Just because my/our opinions differ from yours doesn't mean I/we are defensive. If I had taken it "personally" trust me, you would have known it! Let's just get along, express our side of issues....sometimes we are right, sometimes we are not so right. Sometimes no one is wrong or right....it just is what it is. There are much greater issues in life that to get pissy over key fobs. Opinions, thoughts are fine....accusations are for "serious" issues.

Complaining to Acura won't make a difference. It would take huge numbers of people to complain, and then good luck. They have this stuff planned out and moneys spent on certain products for a long production run, normally.

'13 RDX Tech, AWD Pearl White
'13 TSX Special Edition, Silver Moon
Insured by Smith and Wesson.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
personally I find the leather ones hideous, but agree that the acura FOB is not only CHEAP, but TACKY
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Dedalus

I really think there's a market for a rubber/vinyl/plastic sleeve like you see for cell phones. And there are such items for other key fobs, for makes that sell more cars than Acura for sure.

And there is a vanity aspect. I don't think the fobs will fail or become defective because of how they look. It's cosmetic, that's for sure. But there's also an amount of vanity in buying a car, a new car, and a luxury brand. Part of me thought of Honda's reliability and resale value, and how that might be even more of a factor in Acura. But vanity plays a factor with many/most/all buyers to some degree. I shopped a lot, and I know I could have had a car that had (arguably) as many features as the Acura and even some the Acura doesn't have, and was very nice inside and out, and paid about ten grand less. I didn't pay 10 grand for the name or for vanity as reliabilty/resale/total cost comes in to factor, but it's still more overall. If the fob looks like crap--as it did with my courtesy car--the car still drives, and I rarely use the thing. In 3 weeks of ownership, I've only hit the buttons once or twice to check the function. But I still like it to look nice. It's pure vanity, I totally admit it. When I show a friend about a feature on the fob, it ought to look nice. When people have that experience and think they, too, might like an Acura, the fob should look nice.

And I'm not even criticizing Acura for the fob--at least I didn't start out that way. I saw it as decent, but just didn't like the look of an older (not that older) used one. I thought there could be some options for a cover. I have decided to use a little cloth bag and keep the fob in that. I, too, don't like the leather option.

Mike Todd
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dedalus5550
I really think there's a market for a rubber/vinyl/plastic sleeve like you see for cell phones. And there are such items for other key fobs, for makes that sell more cars than Acura for sure.

And there is a vanity aspect. I don't think the fobs will fail or become defective because of how they look. It's cosmetic, that's for sure. But there's also an amount of vanity in buying a car, a new car, and a luxury brand. Part of me thought of Honda's reliability and resale value, and how that might be even more of a factor in Acura. But vanity plays a factor with many/most/all buyers to some degree. I shopped a lot, and I know I could have had a car that had (arguably) as many features as the Acura and even some the Acura doesn't have, and was very nice inside and out, and paid about ten grand less. I didn't pay 10 grand for the name or for vanity as reliabilty/resale/total cost comes in to factor, but it's still more overall. If the fob looks like crap--as it did with my courtesy car--the car still drives, and I rarely use the thing. In 3 weeks of ownership, I've only hit the buttons once or twice to check the function. But I still like it to look nice. It's pure vanity, I totally admit it. When I show a friend about a feature on the fob, it ought to look nice. When people have that experience and think they, too, might like an Acura, the fob should look nice.

And I'm not even criticizing Acura for the fob--at least I didn't start out that way. I saw it as decent, but just didn't like the look of an older (not that older) used one. I thought there could be some options for a cover. I have decided to use a little cloth bag and keep the fob in that. I, too, don't like the leather option.

Mike Todd
Don't get me wrong, if someone wants their fob to be pristine and put a cover on it that is perfectly fine. I just don't like to add bulk to my pocket if I don't feel it's necessary. Are you basing this on the fob you had as a loaner at the dealership? Maybe it was really mistreated like someone threw the fob to someone and they missed and it really got chewed up or something. Are these fobs really that chincy that they look bad with normal use?

I don't want my fob to be all scratched and worn looking either but I've had all these fobs over the years from Toyotas, Buicks, Mazdas, etc and they looked a little worn when I got rid of the cars in 7-10 years but not that bad. I just find it hard to believe that Acura would put out a cheap fob that doesn't hold up over time. I could absolutely be wrong here, hope not, but it's possible I guess.