Incorrect navigation system.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Incorrect navigation system.

I own a 2014 Acura RDX AWD w/ technology package. So I never noticed this before until I was on the highway, but there are certain routes that are not accurate. For example, the navigation system thought that the exit was on the right when it was really on the left. It has confused left and right as well. Like on the screen it shows turn left. Meanwhile the voice says to turn right.

Is this something that is covered under the certified pre-owned warranty?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Was there construction in the last few years that changed the exit? My two favorites are westbound on roads into St. Louis of on freeways that had been redone three years before, sending me into seedy neighborhoods, and then Hwy. 24 between Fort Wayne and Toledo, showing me plowing through cornfields even though construction had been finished years earlier. The navigation lady got quite upset when we didn't move over to the old farm-to-market road. Both of those were after we installed the upgrade for $$.

Now on my '17 it has no idea where I live even though my address was established over two years ago.

Sigh...

Last edited by CanTex; 04-13-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of auto manufacturers nav systems. Few seem as reliable as a far less expensive Garmin and I'd hazard a guess even fewer are as spot on as Google maps. It isn't just your '14. My '17 with the latest map update tries to send me left at intersections I know should get a right turn to my destination. Someday I'm going to follow the lady's suggestions and see where she takes me. It could be interesting! Oh, and I don't think you'll get any satisfaction asking for warranty coverage. It's likely you'll simply be treated to the "they all do that" line from a service tech.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Ours does this too. My wife refuses to use it as it is so inaccurate. I would not have gotten nav if it wan't included in the advance package. Google maps is the way to go.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

Yeah I have been using google maps for a majority of my navigation needs. The only reason I got the nav was because of the advanced package and because I did not want to use my data. Granted I could've purchased a separate GPS, but I figured that it would be accurate enough...
Old 04-13-2017, 11:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CanTex
Was there construction in the last few years that changed the exit? My two favorites are westbound on roads into St. Louis of on freeways that had been redone three years before, sending me into seedy neighborhoods, and then Hwy. 24 between Fort Wayne and Toledo, showing me plowing through cornfields even though construction had been finished years earlier. The navigation lady got quite upset when we didn't move over to the old farm-to-market road. Both of those were after we installed the upgrade for $$.

Now on my '17 it has no idea where I live even though my address was established over two years ago.

Sigh...
there wasn't any construction as far as I know. Unless they decided to move a ramp to the entire different side of the highway without telling anyone. I managed to take a picture of the nav system while this was happening.

Yes... I realize that I should not be on my phone while driving but it literally took a few quick seconds to take the pictures. As you can see, although it says on the map, that the exit is on the right, the navigation system thinks that it is on the complete opposite side. Not very helpful when I take a quick glance to see where to go and the big box tells me the exit is on the other side even though it is not. I have missed many exits because of this and has to literally drive down the highway only to go on the other side and then go back onto the first side.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
Welcome to the wonderful world of auto manufacturers nav systems. Few seem as reliable as a far less expensive Garmin and I'd hazard a guess even fewer are as spot on as Google maps. It isn't just your '14. My '17 with the latest map update tries to send me left at intersections I know should get a right turn to my destination. Someday I'm going to follow the lady's suggestions and see where she takes me. It could be interesting! Oh, and I don't think you'll get any satisfaction asking for warranty coverage. It's likely you'll simply be treated to the "they all do that" line from a service tech.

Cheers
does it do something like what I mentioned in a previous post with the pictures? I mean, it wouldn't hurt to ask right? Because technically it is a defect. I wouldn't bother with it much if the navigation didn't cost me as much. Considering I paided extra for this feature, I would expect it to work properly...
Old 04-14-2017, 04:35 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Chris Christie's people changed it on you, but it's only temporary.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
With Apple Play and Android Auto,built in factory Nav is not necessary anymore.Both have better Nav and hook right up to the screen when connected to your phone.
I just bought an Accord and didn't get factory built in Nav because of Android Auto with Google maps which works great.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Gadgetjq

Cheers
Another one on my old '13 RDX. We were going to someone's cottage (lake house in southern terms) in the Muskoka region of Ontario, Canada. The directions were spot on until we reached the cottage and were about to shut off the car when Navi (our name for the voice) announced the destination was in 400 feet. That would be 350 feet into the lake. Hmmm...
Old 04-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraDave09
does it do something like what I mentioned in a previous post with the pictures? I mean, it wouldn't hurt to ask right? Because technically it is a defect. I wouldn't bother with it much if the navigation didn't cost me as much. Considering I paided extra for this feature, I would expect it to work properly...
Technically it's more like a 'mistake' on the part of the nav map maker, Navteq. Users are asked to contact the map company when they note errors as you have so the mistake can be corrected in future offerings. That said, are you sure your map is up to date? See if you can wrangle a test ride in a new RDX and take it on the route you found the error. If it shows the correct route you might just need to purchase an update for your system. You can order updates directly from Navteq for your RDX. Here's a link.

Cheers