AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   Hood deflector / window vents? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/hood-deflector-window-vents-862275/)

Sculldog3 07-05-2012 11:36 PM

Hood deflector / window vents?

I know there is a post on BSM that has merged into a general thread on after market 3M type paint protectors, but hadn't seen much on the hood deflectors that seem common on a lot of SUVs. These are the smoked acrylic type thing that mounts to the hood, and seemingly protects from direct hits, but also allegedly causes some airflow to maybe move things up and over the car outright? Have zero experience with these, know that the WeaterTech folks sell these along with the window vents. Anyone have insight into how well these work and if their is an option for the 2013 RDX?

GRDX 07-06-2012 08:27 AM

Everything about the look of the 2013 RDX is so clean it seems to me best to leave it alone. Less is more. I like window visors but not on this car. No real need for visors since you can open all the windows and sunroof with the remote a few minutes before you are ready to leave to let out the hot air if needed. As to the hood deflector I never liked the looks only the function if necessary and so far it seem unnecessary. With the Acura point on the front I think it pushes most of the air to the sides anyway :-)

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 07-06-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sculldog3 (Post 13886630)
I know there is a post on BSM that has merged into a general thread on after market 3M type paint protectors, but hadn't seen much on the hood deflectors that seem common on a lot of SUVs. These are the smoked acrylic type thing that mounts to the hood, and seemingly protects from direct hits, but also allegedly causes some airflow to maybe move things up and over the car outright? Have zero experience with these, know that the WeaterTech folks sell these along with the window vents. Anyone have insight into how well these work and if their is an option for the 2013 RDX?

I had one on my '11 CRV and it blended in well since the CRV was gray. But, they work great. And, mine was a Honda product, stood up very well. I've had them in the past on trucks and I liked them then for doing the job I hoped they would. No hood dings or damage.

Would I put one on the new RDX...esp. my Pearl White one....Hmmmm...not so sure. On the darker color ones...just might. I'm sure Weather Tech will have all the products for our RDX's as soon as they get them mocked up and built in a few months. I'm just waiting for the floor mats right now. I emailed them but, did not get a reply. I'm a long time customer too!! I should call them I guess. I know they've been contacted many times already about our RDX.

mikejmack 07-06-2012 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret. (Post 13887677)
I emailed them but, did not get a reply. I'm a long time customer too!! I should call them I guess. I know they've been contacted many times already about our RDX.

I emailed them and received a reply. They simply directed me to the contact us page where you can request a new product. Past customer as well and a big fan.

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 07-07-2012 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by GRDX (Post 13887047)
Everything about the look of the 2013 RDX is so clean it seems to me best to leave it alone. Less is more. I like window visors but not on this car. No real need for visors since you can open all the windows and sunroof with the remote a few minutes before you are ready to leave to let out the hot air if needed. As to the hood deflector I never liked the looks only the function if necessary and so far it seem unnecessary. With the Acura point on the front I think it pushes most of the air to the sides anyway :-)

:2cents:
I could be wrong....but, I believe the main reason for the side window visors is to: 1. Help keep sun off of passengers and the driver...2. Maybe more importantly...if it's raining...you can crack your windows down for fresh air and it won't rain in. I'm pretty sure that's why they were developed in the first place.

They would do very little to keep the heat factor down when parked and sitting...unless you could crack the window slightly, allow hotter air to move out and keep any rain from coming in.

GRDX 07-08-2012 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret. (Post 13890064)
:2cents:
I could be wrong....but, I believe the main reason for the side window visors is to: 1. Help keep sun off of passengers and the driver...2. Maybe more importantly...if it's raining...you can crack your windows down for fresh air and it won't rain in. I'm pretty sure that's why they were developed in the first place.

They would do very little to keep the heat factor down when parked and sitting...unless you could crack the window slightly, allow hotter air to move out and keep any rain from coming in.

1. That would depend on the the design of the visors. Opaque would definitely block some some. Dark tint less so and light tint or clear much less. I prefer light tint or clear for the front windows when the design continues the visor along the A pillar since it partially obstructs vision. Doesn't make too much difference in the rear windows as they are already dark.

2. Yes that is one of the pluses of having them but I found I would rather use the AC/Heater fresh air vent and keep the windows closed while driving. If you have smokers in the car they would then be a plus. No smokers in my car. They are useful if it is raining and you have to sit in the car waiting for someone with the engine off.

For me I found the best benefit was to leave the windows down about one to two inches so it did not heat up inside so much when hot in the summer and parked.

javp 06-15-2013 01:33 PM

Has anyone been able to buy a hood deflector for the RDX 2013/2014 model? I checked out the 2014 brochure online , and on page 10, it shows "Hood edge deflector".

I went to the dealer on Yonge/Steeles in Toronto last week, the services/parts rep told me there is no such part.

http://www.acura.ca/Content/acura.ca...nteractive.pdf

techman707 06-16-2013 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by javp (Post 14533388)
Has anyone been able to buy a hood deflector for the RDX 2013/2014 model? I checked out the 2014 brochure online , and on page 10, it shows "Hood edge deflector".

I went to the dealer on Yonge/Steeles in Toronto last week, the services/parts rep told me there is no such part.

I contacted Weathertech to see if they were going to make one for the '13/'14 RDX.

dc5k20z1 06-24-2013 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by techman707 (Post 14534167)
I contacted Weathertech to see if they were going to make one for the '13/'14 RDX.

what did they say?

htowngator 06-25-2013 08:56 PM

Anyone have any news on this?

RDXinNETX 06-29-2013 07:58 PM

Check out the thread one below here w/ * Window Deflector * in the subject line.

I'm up above you in NETX & we went to Hi on the thermostat (outdoor air temp) it seems almost overnite.

I need something now vs. waiting for WT to make something for us & available by the end of the summer. Not whining here mind you but 100°+ outdoors in the shade = 130°+ w/out at least the rear windows cracked a 1/4"

My only hesitation is the too big & fugly ones commonly seen on EVERY truck etc. here in Tejas. My personal favs. are the folks that have them so they can smoke & not get rain inside, sheesh, sometimes you just can't can't get away from the oxygen thieves.

javp 11-03-2013 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by javp (Post 14533388)

I went to the Markham Canada Acura Dealer yesterday regarding the Hood Edge Deflector. The guy at the parts department looked up on his computer and said it will be available in Winter 2013. I guess we can order one very soon :)

Sculldog3 12-27-2013 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by javp (Post 14736702)
I went to the Markham Canada Acura Dealer yesterday regarding the Hood Edge Deflector. The guy at the parts department looked up on his computer and said it will be available in Winter 2013. I guess we can order one very soon :)

Any word on this? Looked on the Acura website, didn't see anything.

javp 12-28-2013 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sculldog3 (Post 14807075)
Any word on this? Looked on the Acura website, didn't see anything.

I went there last week, the guy @ parts department said the product name "Hood Edge Deflector" for RDX 2014 is on the system, but it doesn't have a part #, and availability shows Winter 2013. He cannot pre-order for me as there is no part #. He asked me to check later by phoning them. I will check with them next month.

javp 02-24-2014 08:53 PM

I got a call back from Acura of North Toronto. The agent checked with Honda Canada, and the Hood Edge Deflector should be available around mid of May. Looks like we will not get it until it gets warmer...kind of suck.

Type X 03-03-2014 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by javp (Post 14893774)
I got a call back from Acura of North Toronto. The agent checked with Honda Canada, and the Hood Edge Deflector should be available around mid of May. Looks like we will not get it until it gets warmer...kind of suck.

Can't wait

5 Acuras 03-03-2014 07:05 PM

Window vents would be nice.

javp 04-14-2014 09:08 PM

Update - I visited Acura Markham past Saturday, Jacky @ Parts department said that the hood edge deflector is showing in back order status with an arrival date of May 16th. There is no pricing information at this moment but I will check with him in a few weeks.

RDXinNETX 04-14-2014 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by javp (Post 14966367)
Update - I visited Acura Markham past Saturday, Jacky @ Parts department said that the hood edge deflector is showing in back order status with an arrival date of May 16th. There is no pricing information at this moment but I will check with him in a few weeks.

Thx for letting us know, hope you will update us as this has been sorely needed.

IMO equally as much as 5 Acura's post above, provided both are well executed.

Type X 04-25-2014 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by javp (Post 14966367)

Part Number or update? Thank yoU!

javp 04-26-2014 11:36 AM

Just visited Acura Markham. They have it available for special order which will take a few days to arrive. Part number 08P47-TX4-400 for $225 CAD plus tax.

MEGAREP 04-26-2014 05:22 PM

I could really use the Hood deflector as the leading edge really takes a beating!!
Thank you for the part number!

RDXinNETX 04-26-2014 07:10 PM

" I could really use the Hood deflector as the leading edge really takes a beating!! "

This ^^^^^^ above.

That said @ $225. my local dealer (small town 250K pop) will not want to stock it if I do not care for the fit.

Any pics. + some actual user feedback would be MUCH appreciated, so thx in advance if someone steps up.

Type X 04-28-2014 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by javp (Post 14984530)
Just visited Acura Markham. They have it available for special order which will take a few days to arrive. Part number 08P47-TX4-400 for $225 CAD plus tax.

Thank you for the part number, sadly called 3 US dealers and nothing in the computer yet :(

javp 04-28-2014 01:50 PM

My order should arrive sometime this week. The dealer was able to give me a hard copy of installation instructions. I scanned it quickly, and it seems that I would need to drill 4 holes under the hood to install 4 rivet nuts. Hope I can get the installation done by myself next week and I will post some pics.

javp 04-28-2014 11:54 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Instructions Manual:
Attachment 47471

Attachment 47472

Attachment 47473

Attachment 47474

Attachment 47475

Attachment 47476

Attachment 47477

Attachment 47478

Attachment 47479

Type X 04-29-2014 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by javp (Post 14986840)
My order should arrive sometime this week. The dealer was able to give me a hard copy of installation instructions. I scanned it quickly, and it seems that I would need to drill 4 holes under the hood to install 4 rivet nuts. Hope I can get the installation done by myself next week and I will post some pics.

If you can grab another one & send to the US let me know:thumbsup:

This is the response I received from my parts contact.....

Hi,

Unfortunately, Honda often offers different accessories in different markets. They haven’t indicated any plans to offer that one here in the US. The last three digits of the part number indicate the number being non-US as the US numbers end in 200. I ran it in the system just to see if it would work as a 08P47-TX4-200 and it showed as invalid.

Sculldog3 04-29-2014 10:15 PM

This is odd. Vehicles are the same correct? So shouldn't this fit? And dealers in the U.S. don't want to make money selling these?

MEGAREP 04-30-2014 05:56 AM

Maybe Lund or another aftermarket manufacture will knock one off, would probably be less$$

javp 05-03-2014 09:05 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I picked it up today but don't have time to install, so I am placing it on the hood for some pictures without installation. Sorry if the photo sizes are too big.
Attachment 47462
Attachment 47463
Attachment 47464
Attachment 47465
Attachment 47466
Attachment 47467
Attachment 47468

Type X 05-05-2014 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by javp (Post 14994763)
I picked it up today but don't have time to install, so I am placing it on the hood for some pictures without installation. Sorry if the photo sizes are too big.

Looks awesome, want to ship one to the US :)

Geordx 05-06-2014 09:31 AM

Are window visors available yet?

5 Acuras 05-06-2014 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Geordx (Post 14997728)
Are window visors available yet?

x2

Sculldog3 05-10-2014 09:54 AM

Question then. Would Canadian Acura dealers ship the hood vent to the states, and would a u.s. dealer install? Would think so, but it sounds like maybe corporate acura discourages the practice? And maybe you don't want to be the first one they do the install for?

MEGAREP 05-10-2014 09:08 PM

I may take a trip north just to get one!!!

Sculldog3 05-11-2014 09:38 AM

I'll be in buffalo later this month, could make run perhaps?

Type X 05-13-2014 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sculldog3 (Post 15004520)
I'll be in buffalo later this month, could make run perhaps?

If you could grab me one i'll pay you for troubles.

javp 05-18-2014 10:56 PM

I finally finished with the installation. It took me almost 5 to 6 hrs to install and fit on to my RDX, which is much more than I expected.

I had no issue doing the measurements and drilling the 4 holes under the hood. All this preparation work took me less than an hour.

The problem I had was using the DIY Rivet Nut Tool as I don't have one. I was stucked on step # 8 to 12 for about 3 hours.

After I installed the rivet nuts successfully, the fitting (rest of the steps) took me roughly another hour.

If you do not have a Rivet Nut Tool, I suggest you to either borrow/rent one, or just have the dealer do the entire installation for you (my dealer was offering me $120 + tax for installation). The DIY Rivet Nut Tool demo found on youtube looks simple but I struggled with it.

I will post some pictures of my car next week or 2 after the wash.

Type X 05-19-2014 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by javp (Post 15014316)
I finally finished with the installation. It took me almost 5 to 6 hrs to install and fit on to my RDX, which is much more than I expected.

I had no issue doing the measurements and drilling the 4 holes under the hood. All this preparation work took me less than an hour.

The problem I had was using the DIY Rivet Nut Tool as I don't have one. I was stucked on step # 8 to 12 for about 3 hours.

After I installed the rivet nuts successfully, the fitting (rest of the steps) took me roughly another hour.

If you do not have a Rivet Nut Tool, I suggest you to either borrow/rent one, or just have the dealer do the entire installation for you (my dealer was offering me $120 + tax for installation). The DIY Rivet Nut Tool demo found on youtube looks simple but I struggled with it.

I will post some pictures of my car next week or 2 after the wash.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=15647

javp 05-19-2014 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Type X (Post 15014599)

I reviewed this as well....but it is much difficult than it looks...so good luck