Is Honda building a Honda version of the RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Is Honda building a Honda version of the RDX?

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/19/honda-pilot-crossover-short-wheelbase-rumor/

According to several publications Honda is going to unveil a new short wheel base pilot (akin to the Hyundai santa fe XL vs sport) that will only seat 5 passengers. From my predictions, it is going to keep the V6 and the (SH) AWD system from the current pilot.

This means 2 things, first is that if the pilot-mini gets SH-AWD the next gen RDX will too, or if the 3G RDX does not, Honda will hopefully have an option for those of you looking for that.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Major assumptions going on here. My prediction is the next gen RDX will have a 2.0T motor(which is a shame). I figure the 5 passenger Pilot will use it too (a la Hyundai who uses a 2.4 I-4 and 2.0T in the Santa Fe Sport and 3.3 V6 in the Santa Fe). It certainly will be interesting to see what happens with the next gen RDX.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
honda filed a patent to bring back the "passport" name
Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
Probably they will just facelift the rdx with the new diamond blah grill
Old 04-22-2017, 08:24 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by BC01191980
Probably they will just facelift the rdx with the new diamond blah grill
This. ^. The Honda version of RDX is called CRV.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 05:02 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Maybe the RDX is growing a bit and will use this SWB Pilot platform instead of the CRV platform. The Honda version being the more basic/less luxurious of the two similar to the current Pilot and MDX.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by chickdr
Major assumptions going on here. My prediction is the next gen RDX will have a 2.0T motor(which is a shame). I figure the 5 passenger Pilot will use it too (a la Hyundai who uses a 2.4 I-4 and 2.0T in the Santa Fe Sport and 3.3 V6 in the Santa Fe). It certainly will be interesting to see what happens with the next gen RDX.
I somewhat doubt this, though there have been confirmed releases from Honda that a 2.0T is coming out and that the next gen accord is not going to have a V6 anymore (really hating that trend by the way). So if that next gen accord does not have a V6 anymore, you can gaurentee that the RDX will not either because for some reason Honda is tying the RDX powertrain to the Accord. I also agree that the SWB pilot will share the same engines.

Originally Posted by Comfy
This. ^. The Honda version of RDX is called CRV.
For some reason I feel like the RDX is larger than the CRV. Not sure if I am correct.

Originally Posted by MTD
Maybe the RDX is growing a bit and will use this SWB Pilot platform instead of the CRV platform. The Honda version being the more basic/less luxurious of the two similar to the current Pilot and MDX.
There are rumors that the CDX is coming to north america, if it does, the RDX may grow a little more to compete with the RX and MKX and the CDX will slot below it. I have a feeling the RDX is going to grow a little bit too and I really hope it moves to the MDX-Pilot platform and moves away from the CRV platform. With that platform switch I hope they then return SH-AWD.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10

For some reason I feel like the RDX is larger than the CRV. Not sure if I am correct.

RDX is 3.8" longer and .7 wider.
Wheelbase 1" longer.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Pro

I somewhat doubt this, though there have been confirmed releases from Honda that a 2.0T is coming out and that the next gen accord is not going to have a V6 anymore (really hating that trend by the way). So if that next gen accord does not have a V6 anymore, you can gaurentee that the RDX will not either because for some reason Honda is tying the RDX powertrain to the Accord. I also agree that the SWB pilot will share the same engines.
You do? It sounds like you agree with me that the RDX will have whatever the Accord has for its top power train(which will no longer be a V6) so that would make it a 2.0T - right? The reason the Accord and RDX share power trains is the motors come out of a common plant dead center between the two plants which produce the RDX and Accord in Ohio.

Last edited by chickdr; 04-23-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by colt427
RDX is 3.8" longer and .7 wider.
Wheelbase 1" longer.
Ah, so I am correct in my assumptions! That is what I meant by a Honda version of the RDX (something in beteen the CRV and pilot, like the RDX).

You do? It sounds like you agree with me that the RDX will have whatever the Accord has for its top power train(which will no longer be a V6) so that would make it a 2.0T - right? The reason the Accord and RDX share power trains is the motors come out of a common plant dead center between the two plants which produce the RDX and Accord in Ohio.
What I doubt is that Honda is going to drop the V6 option in the RDX, but at the same time if the Accord gets a 2.0T like rumoured, then I am in agreement that the RDX will get the 2.0T. So how about we meet in the middle? They keep the V6 and add a 2.0T option from the civic turbo for the top trim of the RDX while growing it a little bit. I don't like turbo 4's very much, but a very strongly tuned turbo 4 (say 300hp/lb/ft in something weighing under 4000 pounds) can be really fun.

There was also a rumour that Acura is going to have a type S trim for the whole lineup. If this is the case, the RDX type S would have that turboed power train as the sport option maybe.

So much speculation. So little solid answers.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Pro

Ah, so I am correct in my assumptions! That is what I meant by a Honda version of the RDX (something in beteen the CRV and pilot, like the RDX).

What I doubt is that Honda is going to drop the V6 option in the RDX, but at the same time if the Accord gets a 2.0T like rumoured, then I am in agreement that the RDX will get the 2.0T. So how about we meet in the middle? They keep the V6 and add a 2.0T option from the civic turbo for the top trim of the RDX while growing it a little bit. I don't like turbo 4's very much, but a very strongly tuned turbo 4 (say 300hp/lb/ft in something weighing under 4000 pounds) can be really fun.

There was also a rumour that Acura is going to have a type S trim for the whole lineup. If this is the case, the RDX type S would have that turboed power train as the sport option maybe.

So much speculation. So little solid answers.
I hope you are correct. If the V6 is continued it seems unlikely it would be the current version as it seems at the end of its lifespan and is not being used in anything "current". I could see the DI V6 being used, but then again, they don't build that motor in OH so it wouldn't be very efficient. As you said, no solid answers yet. I am surprised so little is known about the 3rd gen RDX as it has to be well along in its development.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I hope you are correct. If the V6 is continued it seems unlikely it would be the current version as it seems at the end of its lifespan and is not being used in anything "current". I could see the DI V6 being used, but then again, they don't build that motor in OH so it wouldn't be very efficient. As you said, no solid answers yet. I am surprised so little is known about the 3rd gen RDX as it has to be well along in its development.
I am almost guaranteeing the V6 will stay. Just look at the other options in the class. Almost all of them have V6's (forced induction or not). That includes q5, glc, X3, srx, mkx, qx50, rx, macan, jaguar....on and on and on. I really do not see Acura putting in some of the fire breathing V6 engines like the competition (superchargers, twin turbos...etc) but to most of us, a standard V6 putting up a respectable 6.0s 0-60 is enough. If they can drop in a 8 speed or DCT and then upgrade the V6 with DI and up the power a little bit or even drop in the MDX hybrid power train, that 0-60 will drop quite a bit (maybe even to the low 5's or high 4's) and that would be very nice and competitive enough.

I sometimes think it would be awesome to have 3.6s 0-60 like some of the new Super SUV's but then I think about it. How often will I ever use that power. My 2012 Sorento has a 276hp V6 and a 6 speed auto. It does 0-60 in about 6.8s. I'm happy with that and although I do sometimes wish I had a VERY fast car, I don't see myself using it.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I may move from the RDX if they axe the V6. I think its a great engine. It's one of the things that distinguishes it from the CRV.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I may move from the RDX if they axe the V6. I think its a great engine. It's one of the things that distinguishes it from the CRV.
I'm pretty sure Acura knows they will lose many customers if they remove the V6. The smart move would be to keep a V6 option but to then offer another option for those looking for more performance.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts

RDX
2008-2019
Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm pretty sure Acura knows they will lose many customers if they remove the V6. The smart move would be to keep a V6 option but to then offer another option for those looking for more performance.
That is the conundrum. The normally aspirated V6 is great, decent power and torque, super reliable. With that said it is actually getting a bit dated. It’s port injection not direct injection. Single overhead cam, etc.

These new 4-banger turbos are getting really awesome. Watch a review say on the latest Audi A4. Damn, powerful engine, fast car matched with a nice dual clutch transmission.

I agree, I do love a V6. If Acura made say a small 3.0 V6 with a turbo that would a dead ringer! Come on Acura. Do it!
Old 04-24-2017, 11:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello

RDX
2008-2019
Naah, the MDX and RDX will keep Acura alive for the next 10 years while they sort out their shitty sedans. If ever.

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
That is the conundrum. The normally aspirated V6 is great, decent power and torque, super reliable. With that said it is actually getting a bit dated. It’s port injection not direct injection. Single overhead cam, etc.

These new 4-banger turbos are getting really awesome. Watch a review say on the latest Audi A4. Damn, powerful engine, fast car matched with a nice dual clutch transmission.

I agree, I do love a V6. If Acura made say a small 3.0 V6 with a turbo that would a dead ringer! Come on Acura. Do it!
I agree, the V6 is a nice option. But yes it is VERY dated. The J-series as a whole is extremey dated and the either need to bring some new more powerful V6's with say 330ish HP. Or a turbo 3.0l would be PERFECT. Volvo and BMW had a very nice turbo 3.0L for a long time. Easily ring out 300Hp and 300Lb/ft or more while still getting good fuel economy because a 3.0L V6 is big enough to run something the RDX's size without always needing boost like a turbo 4.

But I doubt Acura will even do something like that. I feel like their hybrid power trains are a giant bandage to cover their engines. I am really hoping they are using the hybrid tech as a temporary stepping stone while they work on better V6 engines.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 AM
Pro

I am almost guaranteeing the V6 will stay. Just look at the other options in the class. Almost all of them have V6's (forced induction or not). That includes q5, glc, X3, srx, mkx, qx50, rx, macan, jaguar....on and on and on. I really do not see Acura putting in some of the fire breathing V6 engines like the competition (superchargers, twin turbos...etc) but to most of us, a standard V6 putting up a respectable 6.0s 0-60 is enough. If they can drop in a 8 speed or DCT and then upgrade the V6 with DI and up the power a little bit or even drop in the MDX hybrid power train, that 0-60 will drop quite a bit (maybe even to the low 5's or high 4's) and that would be very nice and competitive enough.

I sometimes think it would be awesome to have 3.6s 0-60 like some of the new Super SUV's but then I think about it. How often will I ever use that power. My 2012 Sorento has a 276hp V6 and a 6 speed auto. It does 0-60 in about 6.8s. I'm happy with that and although I do sometimes wish I had a VERY fast car, I don't see myself using it.
The biggest RDX competitor would likely be the NX200t and it is exclusively a 2.0 turbo 4.... Audi's Q5 is also a 2.0T only now. They offered a V6 in the previous gen and I expect a hi-po SQ5 version at some point, but it is well above the RDX's price point. The GLC300 is also a 2.0T until you go to the AMG version.

Last edited by chickdr; 04-25-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I think if a 4 cyl turbo is in the works,it will be a 2L or 2.5L.