Heard On The Street

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Heard On The Street

Engine and transmission from the TLX for 2016. Not sure if that was engine or engines. The person in the trench coat disappeared into the darkness before I could ask more questions.

The speculation begins...
Old 11-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Reading some of the problems with the TLX....that is exactly what Acura should be doing!

This is getting almost comical to a point that it's also depressing.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:49 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
It's two things.... the pressure for higher CAFE standards, and to simplify R&D, logistics, costs. If the TLX V6 +9HP means it gets 1 or 2 mpg better and dropping one engine type then why not. It may be even better than 2 mpg improvement.

I drove both the I4 and V6 TLX and while the transmissions are different than a more traditional 6-speed, not seemed unusual to me.

I may have to wait on the TLX and see what an RDX-Advance will offer.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the 2016 ILX got the 2.4l+8DCT

it wouldnt be surprising if Acura decided to stick the 9speed + 3.5l into the big RDX.

As its the only logical tranny and engine option.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
the 2016 ILX got the 2.4l+8DCT

it wouldnt be surprising if Acura decided to stick the 9speed + 3.5l into the big RDX.

As its the only logical tranny and engine option.
I see where the MMC 15 CRV has some engine changes I believe plus a change to the transmission to the dreaded CVT. I think Honda is upping its game and I would not be surprised if they change the tranny as they already have it available.

Let's hope they have the tranny properly engineered as I cannot go through the issues I had with my 02 TL again.

Last edited by BLEXV6; 11-23-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
The 9 speed is sourced from ZF right? I'm sure all the issues from the TLX will be ironed out within the year, most sound like the programming just needs tweaked.

I think the 3.5 earth dreams is solid - haven't heard complaints from the MDX crew - the question is how de-tuned will it be for the RDX? Hopefully not much if at all. I'm very excited to see what trickles down to the next RDX - our '10 MDX is a great vehicle, but ready to downsize - one kid at college, the other in the Navy - seems a bit ridiculous for 2 people
Old 11-24-2014, 09:24 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
The 9 speed is sourced from ZF right? I'm sure all the issues from the TLX will be ironed out within the year, most sound like the programming just needs tweaked.

I think the 3.5 earth dreams is solid - haven't heard complaints from the MDX crew - the question is how de-tuned will it be for the RDX? Hopefully not much if at all. I'm very excited to see what trickles down to the next RDX - our '10 MDX is a great vehicle, but ready to downsize - one kid at college, the other in the Navy - seems a bit ridiculous for 2 people
I'm in the same boat with you with daughter out of the Navy and attending college and the son going to grad in 2016 from HS. A +2016 RDX Adv would be a very nice addition/replacement to the MDX for the wife and I. Unfortunately, a 2016 RDX Adv with the CR-V awd would probably cost around the same as a used 2015 MDX sh-awd tech or Adv model

The 2016 RDX would need to have 9 speed tranny, LED headlights, 3.5L earthdreams, updated tech and sh-awd to out shine a used 2014/2015 MDX sh-awd tech or adv model. If not, you will be paying more for less.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Is this all just wishful thinking or does someone actually have some solid intel? Does anyone even know if Acura has any plans near or distant future to offer any kind of RDX Adv pkg? I think Acura is very careful not to fully duplicate MDX drivetrain etc into the RDX because they know they get a lot of people that spend a lot more money on the MDX just to get that stuff. Offering it all in a cheaper model would just cannibalize MDX sales. Just a thought and opinion.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:02 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
Is this all just wishful thinking or does someone actually have some solid intel? Does anyone even know if Acura has any plans near or distant future to offer any kind of RDX Adv pkg? I think Acura is very careful not to fully duplicate MDX drivetrain etc into the RDX because they know they get a lot of people that spend a lot more money on the MDX just to get that stuff. Offering it all in a cheaper model would just cannibalize MDX sales. Just a thought and opinion.
There is zero intel out there, just wild speculation and extrapolation from other releases - but those other releases were cars and are tuted as "all new" vs mid moldel year changes.

We'll see it when we see it and some people will be right and some will be wrong.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
based on the MMC of the ILX and CRV we can figure out most of the improvements. The big questions are probably the engine and the tranny. Do any vehicles left in the Acura / Honda lineup use the engine that is in the current RDX? If not they probably won't keep producing an extra engine for just 1 vehicle when they can produce the Earth Dreams engine for 3-4 vehicles.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Racer

Isn't the 3.5L in the RDX the same engine that is in the Odyssey? What about the Accord v-6, is that an earthdream or is just the I4 in the Accord?
Old 11-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Racer

I did a check and you are correct. The RDX, Accord, and Odyssey all have the 6 speed V6 producing around 251 torque. The Accord and RDX have similar horsepower while the Odyssey is a little lower.

The Accord and RDX were last redesigned in 2013 and both should be up for a refresh in 2016. If I remember correctly the RDX was released in the early Spring and the Accord was in the Fall. The Odyssey had a refresh in 2014.

Now that the TLX has the new engine I can see the Accord and RDX both getting it. They may wait until 2017 for the Odyssey, especially if the refresh happens during the 2016 Detroit or NYC Auto Shows, which would be only 3-5 months after the Accord refresh.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Racer

I don't assume that just because a few of Honda/Acura models have an engine that others will automatically get it. The RDX originally had the turbo which no other Honda/Acura had. Like I said before, I think Acura may just keep the current 3.5L in the RDX. Why change it? It's plenty powerful and thrifty and the RDX is selling well and if someone really wants the stronger engine they can pay more profit for Acura and jump to the MDX. I really see the RDX getting more safety and creature comforts, tech etc., maybe some bodywork versus getting a new engine when they do the midterm remodel. But like someone else said......nobody knows and if someone were to make a bet it would be a foolish one.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:29 PM
mrgold35

It seems the RDX is stuck in a weird position of coming out first and being 1/2 model behind the current line up. Even if they do an 2016 MMC for the RDX, it will only bring it up to date to the 2015 MDX/TLX standards and stop improvements for the next 3-4 models. In the mean-time, the MDX/TLX/RLX MMC will move another 1/2 model ahead. It even looks like the ILX is more in step and positioned correctly model year wise compared to the RDX.

My gut feeling is Acura will provide an I-4 2.4L base/tech RDX, provide LED headlights, and update the interior to current double screen standards. No Adv model.

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-24-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Racer

I don't think they will put the I4 in the RDX. When they debuted the ILX they put the underpowered(for a near luxury car) 2.0L in it and only made the 2.4L available with the stick and no NAV etc. Now they have announced the 2.4L engine will be the standard engine with all pkgs available. I don't think they will put a lesser engine in the RDX and have even more comparison shopping done to the CR-V.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm affiliated with Acura and I was at an Acura meeting about a month ago and have the inside scoop on what's going on with some changes. The RDX isn't getting the TLX engine or transmission for 2016...They're adding an advance package with all the same equipment as the MDX minus the rear dvd system. They're also adding the led headlights, dual screen setup and the power lift gate will be standard on the non-tech package.

The MDX will however be getting the TLX transmission, the head up display from the rlx sport hybrid, push button gear selector and the option to purchase the advance package without rear dvd, Siri eyes free and a few other features that are slipping my mind at the moment.

I spoke with an Acura district sales manager today as well, and he mentioned they're working on getting the new ilx in awd form by the end of 2015 as well as the 4 cyl TLX, which he thinks is going to be the start of the awd switch over they mentioned.
The following 4 users liked this post by bovicious:
Comfy (11-26-2014), geocord (11-25-2014), JeffS (11-25-2014), mrgold35 (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by bovicious
I'm affiliated with Acura and I was at an Acura meeting about a month ago and have the inside scoop on what's going on with some changes. The RDX isn't getting the TLX engine or transmission for 2016...They're adding an advance package with all the same equipment as the MDX minus the rear dvd system. They're also adding the led headlights, dual screen setup and the power lift gate will be standard on the non-tech package.

The MDX will however be getting the TLX transmission, the head up display from the rlx sport hybrid, push button gear selector and the option to purchase the advance package without rear dvd, Siri eyes free and a few other features that are slipping my mind at the moment.

I spoke with an Acura district sales manager today as well, and he mentioned they're working on getting the new ilx in awd form by the end of 2015 as well as the 4 cyl TLX, which he thinks is going to be the start of the awd switch over they mentioned.
Did they mentioned anything about any sporty enhancements with the RDX or MDX like larger RSB, larger tires, sport+, P-AWS for fwd vehicles, RDX upgrade to sh-awd, etc...?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I'm really affiliated with Acura and I was told in confidence by the president that the refresh will include gold plated 22 inch rims and a lift kit. This will be standard and the price will drop by $10k. The first 5000 people to buy the refreshed RDX will get a free Lexus NX to drive for two years as a comparison vehicle.

If someone was at a meeting where upcoming changes were discussed (that doesn't really happen so far in advance, but for the sake of argument let's assume) then they would have had to sign a NDA and wouldn't be posting it here. District sales managers are equally clueless.

Why would someone make their third post here a "inside scoop" post assuming that they really had any connection to inside information.

I have a bridge for sale, cheap. I'm sure all of you who believe that this poster has some real scoop will be interested in buying the bridge.

Here's the real scoop - nobody here knows.

We can all extrapolate what "might" show up on either the 16 refresh or the new model because we can see what direction that Acura (and every other manufacturer is going in - LEDs everywhere, more tech etc. The question is what are they going to do for a refresh - nobody here knows.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 09:41 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Did they mentioned anything about any sporty enhancements with the RDX or MDX like larger RSB, larger tires, sport+, P-AWS for fwd vehicles, RDX upgrade to sh-awd, etc...?
Yes they did. All vehicles are getting all of that. In addition, RWD cars will get FWD, FWD cars will get RWD and AWD cars will get NWD (No Wheel Drive - car floats on the road).

I know because I was at the same meeting but have better connections to Acura.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Racer

I truly believe that the RDX enhancements have been known by Acura brass since last Spring. It takes a full 6-9 month period to incorporate all the adjustments before a launch. This includes ordering parts supplies.

Sales managers may not be in the loop and it may be inferred to them that less changes will happen so they can sell the current vehicles. If word got out that the engine was going to be changed and the new version would have a 10% fuel efficiency bump then some buyers may hold out. As for the tech Acura can't be mum on that since the Honda vehicles have it and all competitors have it. They just need to suck it up and hope buyers will buy the current vehicles and not wait 6 months for the refreshed version. If they were worried about buyers waiting or going to competitors they would have a 0% for 60 months financing offer now.

As far as offers:
financing is 1.9% for 36 months
lease - $369 a month with $1999 down
Old 11-25-2014, 11:12 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ceb
Yes they did. All vehicles are getting all of that. In addition, RWD cars will get FWD, FWD cars will get RWD and AWD cars will get NWD (No Wheel Drive - car floats on the road).

I know because I was at the same meeting but have better connections to Acura.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

These speculation threads are pretty much fall in the same level of precision of who is going to win super bowl 49 (Broncos). Don't spoil our fun too much with reality, I get enough of that with regular life.

I do like where you are going with no wheel drive.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
I'm really affiliated with Acura and I was told in confidence by the president that the refresh will include gold plated 22 inch rims and a lift kit. This will be standard and the price will drop by $10k. The first 5000 people to buy the refreshed RDX will get a free Lexus NX to drive for two years as a comparison vehicle.

If someone was at a meeting where upcoming changes were discussed (that doesn't really happen so far in advance, but for the sake of argument let's assume) then they would have had to sign a NDA and wouldn't be posting it here. District sales managers are equally clueless.

Why would someone make their third post here a "inside scoop" post assuming that they really had any connection to inside information.

I have a bridge for sale, cheap. I'm sure all of you who believe that this poster has some real scoop will be interested in buying the bridge.

We can all extrapolate what "might" show up on either the 16 refresh or the new model because we can see what direction that Acura (and every other manufacturer is going in - LEDs everywhere, more tech etc. The question is what are they going to do for a refresh - nobody here knows.
Dude I don't know who pissed in your Cheerios this morning but chill out...

When this information is given to you by Acura executives, you tend to listen...So yes I have the inside scoop on what's coming
The following 2 users liked this post by bovicious:
hand-filer (11-26-2014), Rocket_man (11-28-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks bovicious. Do you know when the 2016's will be available?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JeffS
Thanks bovicious. Do you know when the 2016's will be available?

Spring of 2015...same time as the previous model years May/June
JeffS (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Spring of 2015...same time as the previous model years May/June
Perhaps unveiled at the April NY autoshow?

New York International Auto Show
wildeklave (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bzb123
Perhaps unveiled at the April NY autoshow?

New York International Auto Show

They're going to start showing glimpses of their future plans as early as the Detroit show, but NY should have more in depth information as its 3 months later...things are slowly falling into place for Acura, it's tough to be patient bc its been years of half assed/piss poor design language but things are slowly getting better!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Makes sense as RDX will be just a mini MDX of today, and they will enhance MDX so that it can sell.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Some information is better than nothing...
Old 11-27-2014, 09:44 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
Some information is better than nothing...
Assuming that it is backed by some sort of fact.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:40 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

yes ..but at least it got all of us talking again ..... about those darn LED headlights....
(Edit: I mean those jewel ones....)
Old 11-28-2014, 01:14 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Sounds like we pretty much know what the MMC RDX will be like... If it has the DI 3.5 directly from the MDX, it'll be a rocket! It's already fast enough. IMO, though, having almost 300 hp could bring in some GLK/X3/Q5 sales... If they just slap some of that wood on the dash like in the TLX and have some larger wheels (again like the MDX), I bet that sales would be even better than they already are, as it'd be closer to feeling like a german car.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by panamera125
Sounds like we pretty much know what the MMC RDX will be like... If it has the DI 3.5 directly from the MDX, it'll be a rocket! It's already fast enough. IMO, though, having almost 300 hp could bring in some GLK/X3/Q5 sales... If they just slap some of that wood on the dash like in the TLX and have some larger wheels (again like the MDX), I bet that sales would be even better than they already are, as it'd be closer to feeling like a german car.
It would be interesting if they put in 2 engine options:
1 - the 2.4L 8 Speed that generates 206HP and 182 torque on the low end
2 - the 3.5L 9 Speed that generates 290HP and 267 torque on the high end

On the high end it would be close to the power of the Q5 3.0, X3 3.5, GLK 350. It would probably also get customers of the Escape 2.0, MKC, NX, Santa Fe Sport, Cherokee 6 Cylinder, and Forrester to look deeper at the Acura.

On the low end it would be similar in HP but below in torque to the GLA and Q3. Output would be similar to the IS250. it may also be able to steal customers away from the Rav4, Rogue, Escape, and Cherokee when comparing the weaker engine options.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wildeklave
It would be interesting if they put in 2 engine options:
1 - the 2.4L 8 Speed that generates 206HP and 182 torque on the low end
2 - the 3.5L 9 Speed that generates 290HP and 267 torque on the high end

On the high end it would be close to the power of the Q5 3.0, X3 3.5, GLK 350. It would probably also get customers of the Escape 2.0, MKC, NX, Santa Fe Sport, Cherokee 6 Cylinder, and Forrester to look deeper at the Acura.

On the low end it would be similar in HP but below in torque to the GLA and Q3. Output would be similar to the IS250. it may also be able to steal customers away from the Rav4, Rogue, Escape, and Cherokee when comparing the weaker engine options.
Just for informational purposes, any major changes (engines, tranny, etc.) require new crash testing. It would be very unusual to add two new engines during a mid model year refresh and perform a complete suite of crash testing on both models.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I thought the CRV got new engine options for the facelift. I assume they must have been crash tested.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:29 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ceb
Just for informational purposes, any major changes (engines, tranny, etc.) require new crash testing. It would be very unusual to add two new engines during a mid model year refresh and perform a complete suite of crash testing on both models.
Ceb, I'm with you on this. I dont think new engine or tranny will be introduced for RDX. However, i do recall i had a 3g TL type s which got the 3.5 engine as opposed to 3.2 in a regular 3g. This engine was added mid model or perhaps the last year of model along with a 6 speed manual tranny. Also for the 4g TL, the first year or two had a 5 speed auto tranny and then a 6 speed tranny was introduced. As we know Acura has been changing directions, this past behaviour isnt a good predictor of the future.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gta-rdx
Ceb, I'm with you on this. I dont think new engine or tranny will be introduced for RDX. However, i do recall i had a 3g TL type s which got the 3.5 engine as opposed to 3.2 in a regular 3g. This engine was added mid model or perhaps the last year of model along with a 6 speed manual tranny. Also for the 4g TL, the first year or two had a 5 speed auto tranny and then a 6 speed tranny was introduced. As we know Acura has been changing directions, this past behaviour isnt a good predictor of the future.
Yes, the lines between a refresh and a new model are blurring but adding two new engines is no longer an economical refresh.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Ceb, they are already way past the 16 model year changes. As soon as a new model generation is released the next generation begins. Year to year and mid model year changes are already tentatively input at the generation release. These are not released to the public. R&D is much more complicated than you can imagine as other areas of change are affected like a domino effect. District sales mangers know a lot but are like politicians. They must sell each dealer a number of vehicles and sometimes withhold info when change is coming as it works against them.

Originally Posted by ceb