Has anyone experienced Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone experienced Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch?

I'm new in this forum as I just got my 2016 RDX.

Reading the TSBs, I am concern with TSB 16-043 - Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch.

Has any one experienced this problem? Is there anything I need to do to avoid this issue?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:33 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I don't know what is it and haven't heard anything about it in this forum. Can anyone explain that a bit please. Congratulations and welcome to the forum BTW.

Last edited by Comfy; 10-14-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:41 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Comfy
I don't know what is it and haven't heard anything about it in this forum. Can anyone explain that a bit please. Congratulations and welcome to the forum BTW.
Sure, in the one of the stickys posting, it lists all the TBS that relate to 2016/2017 RDX. This is one of them.

It effects 2016 RDX. Here is the details. It seems very concerning.
TSB 16-043 - Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch
Applies To: 2013-16 RDX - ALL - ALL
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-043.PDF
Old 10-25-2016, 06:33 AM
Cruisin'

I'm glad that no one responded about this issue. It means that no one has experienced the issue.

I was worried that many experienced it. It seems bad.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade. But my wife's 2013 RDX AWD Tech is having the "Judder" problem, dealer did a software update and flushed the transmission, and guess what it still does it, so it looks like it needs a new torque converter. Going to be bringing it in next week to have it checked out again.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by alpha2beta
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade. But my wife's 2013 RDX AWD Tech is having the "Judder" problem, dealer did a software update and flushed the transmission, and guess what it still does it, so it looks like it needs a new torque converter. Going to be bringing it in next week to have it checked out again.
Sorry to hear that. Can you tell us on the car milage? Has it been used for towing? Have you kept up with its maintenance? etc.
Do let us know what the outcome is.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDXMac
Sorry to hear that. Can you tell us on the car milage? Has it been used for towing? Have you kept up with its maintenance? etc.
Do let us know what the outcome is.
49000 miles, driven in the Midwest and no towing. All maintenance has been done at dealer.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Another thing to add is I can replicate it almost every time by putting the transmission in second gear and moderately accelerating from 20 to 35 MPH, the vehicle will judder, shake. Also at highway speeds 55 to 65 mph if you watch the Tach it will fluctuate with a steady throttle on a flat surface and no wind. Go on YouTube and search "Tach hunting", you will see what I am talking about. My RDX is not as bad as some of the TLs on YouTube.

Last edited by alpha2beta; 11-05-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:11 AM
Cruisin'

Another thing to add is I can replicate it almost every time by putting the transmission in second gear and moderately accelerating from 20 to 35 MPH, the vehicle will judder, shake. Also at highway speeds 55 to 65 mph if you watch the Tach it will fluctuate with a steady throttle on a flat surface and no wind. Go on YouTube and search "Tach hunting", you will see what I am talking about. My RDX is not as bad as some of the TLs on YouTube.
Does this problem just come up recently at around 49K ?
Do you always manually shift gear? Does it happen only in the manual mode?

What will the dealer do?
Old 11-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Instructor

We purchased the vehicle recently so it could have been doing for a while. I test drove it twice and never noticed it. It does it without me needing to be manually put in second gear and we rarely use the paddles for shifting. I still have not talked to the dealer yet, I'm waiting on getting new tires first and the reason for that is I also have vibration at 75 to 85 mph. I want tires put on before I go into the dealer so they can't blame it on old tires. Then I'll bring it in for repair.

Last edited by alpha2beta; 11-06-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

We purchased the vehicle recently so it could have been doing for a while. I test drove it twice and never noticed it. It does it without me needing to be manually put in second gear and we rarely use the paddles for shifting. I still have not talked to the dealer yet, I'm waiting on getting new tires first and the reason for that is I also have vibration at 75 to 85 mph. I want tires put on before I go into the dealer so they can't blame it on old tires. Then I'll bring it in for repair.
The TBS states that "The transmission fluid deteriorates quicker than expected when it is exposed to intermittent high heat loads under specific driving conditions." Perhaps the previous owner drove in a way that triggered this.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDXMac
The TBS states that "The transmission fluid deteriorates quicker than expected when it is exposed to intermittent high heat loads under specific driving conditions." Perhaps the previous owner drove in a way that triggered this.
It's a TSB Technical service bulletin.
It also says "the judder can be fixed by flushing the transmission fluid as indicated in the FLUSH PROCEDURE" Which did not fix it for my RDX.

I also looked for any abuse, no hitch was ever installed. It has the original tires from factory, I could tell by looking where the wheel weights would be, I could tell by not seeing any corrosion spots by old weights taken off or adhesive that was left behind from sticky weights. 49000 miles on a original set of tires does not indicate abuse to me. I put these same tires on my 2009 Acura TSX I could barely get 20000 miles out of them. I also noticed they came out with a new part number for the torque converter. Old Part number "26000-R9R-305" and new part number "26000-5J7-305". Something tells me that they fixed these problems my revising the torque converter. Changing the transmission fluid and a software update is just a bandage fix to get it past 100,000 miles, but who knows time will tell.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Another thing I noticed is on TSB 16-043 they mention nothing about 2017 model year. Another indication the newer torque converter is a true fix and not just software.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:32 AM
1st Gear

Another thing I noticed is on TSB 16-043 they mention nothing about 2017 model year. Another indication the newer torque converter is a true fix and not just software.
Not sure about that. My wife's 2017 RDX with 1600 miles nearly banged my teeth out yesterday morning. Pulled out of driveway and let of the accelerator pedal and it the tranny BANGED! Did it again. It would keep doing it. Would not shift out of first and would do nothing when I tried it in "S" and shift manually. No lights and dealer said no codes. I have to drop it off again tomorrow and they said they will call Acura Tech support. I'l keep this thread posted.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Wanted to post in this thread that I may be having this issue with my '15 RDX AWD. Vehicle has 18500 miles and is 2 years old. Started noticing change in behavior at highway speeds when cruising 60-65 - would feel like something was pulling me back for a split second then normal. Did it several times on a trip into Boston this weekend. Now around local roads it's starting to "shudder" in and out at lower speeds. Definitely not a shift issue. Bringing to dealer on Friday with TSB in hand and see what they do. Had a similar feel in the wife's '12 TL SH-AWD and had a fluid change and a SW update and the problem went away (37k miles). Mileage is a bit lower on the RDX doing it, so we'll see what they say.

andy
Old 02-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
Wanted to post in this thread that I may be having this issue with my '15 RDX AWD. Vehicle has 18500 miles and is 2 years old. Started noticing change in behavior at highway speeds when cruising 60-65 - would feel like something was pulling me back for a split second then normal. Did it several times on a trip into Boston this weekend. Now around local roads it's starting to "shudder" in and out at lower speeds. Definitely not a shift issue. Bringing to dealer on Friday with TSB in hand and see what they do. Had a similar feel in the wife's '12 TL SH-AWD and had a fluid change and a SW update and the problem went away (37k miles). Mileage is a bit lower on the RDX doing it, so we'll see what they say.

andy
Just to close the loop, they performed a "flush" of the transmission fluid (3x fill and drain) and a SW update. The problem appears to be gone. I think my typical short-trip driving habits may have caused more heat build-up than more consistent driving. Will see how it goes moving forward.

andy
Old 01-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going through the same issue with a '13 RDX that we purchased 2nd hand with 47,000 miles on it. It drove just fine for about 2,000 miles and then the judder problem appeared. It happens around 1500rpm, when going light on the gas, between 25-50mph. The judder comes on briefly and goes away within a few seconds seconds as the rpm/gear changes. It coincidentally began around November as temperatures began to drop and it's been really cold here (around 0F). I just took the car in to get the TSB done regarding the judder. It was covered under warranty. They updated the software and flushed the fluid 3 times. It did not fix the issue. I experienced it on my drive home. I'm now dreading having to replace the torque converter if that's the failing part. I've read a lot of other posts with differing opinions about the judder but none have concrete solutions
Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
My 2013 has a shudder that You can feel at 30,40,50 ,60 70 mph. Had the judder fix done and it's still there.Took it back and got a 2018 loaner.It does it too.But,to a much lesser degree.Not the vibrations that I get with My 2013.You feel vibrations in the steering wheel and the accelerator pedal.I am told it is cylinder management and with the older cars it is more noticeable.
I think I read that the newer cars don't go down to 3 cylinders.Only down to 4.If that is correct, then,that is why 2013's shudder more. I am learning to live with it,because I removed a plug that is indicated in an older service bulletin.This defeats the VCM.Car ran smooth as silk.No vibrations at all. However pulling this plug will throw 3 codes that will also appear in Acuralink display including the date of DTC occuring. Took Me some learning to be able to erase the codes and from Acuralink!! Thank you Acurazine. So,I am pretty sure that people with 2013's are not going to find a cure. It is saving gas for You,so try to ignore it.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brown13
My 2013 has a shudder that You can feel at 30,40,50 ,60 70 mph. Had the judder fix done and it's still there.Took it back and got a 2018 loaner.It does it too.But,to a much lesser degree.Not the vibrations that I get with My 2013.You feel vibrations in the steering wheel and the accelerator pedal.I am told it is cylinder management and with the older cars it is more noticeable.
I think I read that the newer cars don't go down to 3 cylinders.Only down to 4.If that is correct, then,that is why 2013's shudder more. I am learning to live with it,because I removed a plug that is indicated in an older service bulletin.This defeats the VCM.Car ran smooth as silk.No vibrations at all. However pulling this plug will throw 3 codes that will also appear in Acuralink display including the date of DTC occuring. Took Me some learning to be able to erase the codes and from Acuralink!! Thank you Acurazine. So,I am pretty sure that people with 2013's are not going to find a cure. It is saving gas for You,so try to ignore it.
Thanks for that! I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm coming to the conclusion that it is the damn VCM feature. I too did the test where I disconnected the 'rear rocker arm oil pressure switch connector', which disables VCM. Lo and behold, the judder went away. I'm now looking into 3rd party tools to disable VCM without having any error codes, e.g S-VCM Controller or VCMuzzler II. Very sad that it boils down to such hacks to disable a feature that's supposed to be of benefit..
Old 01-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I bought this one to try: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Acura...RZfVbw&vxp=mtr
Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Let me know how that works out for you. My only skepticism with this solution is the need to change resistors to have the most accurate offset, which will often depend on outside temperatures. And it's not a linear relationship so at a point, your false reading will be quite a distance away from the real reading, at least from what I understood about this method.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As I mentioned above, my 2014 RDX FWD consistently juddered when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and only briefly, otherwise it ran smooth. I don't believe that it was the VCM. Like I said after having the TBS procvedure completed three times and getting no satisfaction, it was trade in time. Shame on ACURA/Honda!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
If the issue is heat why doesn't Acura do the right thing and add a transmission cooler? The answer? Cost. They would rather band-aid the issue and get you out of warranty than actually fix the problem. My solution? Buy another brand next time.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I asked the Acura Zone Manager just this question and he never gave me a clear response (just deflected it). I also asked him why not reformulate the ATF to be more resistant to degradation at higher temps? He just smiled. My X3 is incredible! I sure hope it lasts.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
Just to close the loop, they performed a "flush" of the transmission fluid (3x fill and drain) and a SW update. The problem appears to be gone. I think my typical short-trip driving habits may have caused more heat build-up than more consistent driving. Will see how it goes moving forward.

andy
​​​​​
I may have gotten lucky too, as the software update and ATF flush seems to have solved the problem. Fingers crossed and thankful for the CPO warranty.