Gap in between doors

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:03 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gap in between doors

I don't know if it's just me but does anyone else notice a bigger gap on the passenger door than the driver side? I'm talking about the space in between the front and rear doors. I'll post pics later.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine looks ok there,but on the drivers side,the stainless steel door frame trim does not meet up exactly straight between the front and rear doors.All of the body panel creases are aligned perfect,so it's not like the door bolts could be loosened up,then lift the rear corner and tighten.
The left side's perfect.so I've started looking at others to compare.I have noticed on a lot of Hondas that there is sloppy trim fit up.Most people would not notice..but I do.

My neighbor's is perfect.I wish I would have inspected my RDX closer before I took it home.I had 4 other defects that I have had to get fixed.

It's just one of those little things I need to overlook,I don't think it could be fixed as it would be a new door,looking at the parts list.

Steve
Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced

Drive side w/o gaps.
Attached Thumbnails Gap in between doors-unnamed-2.jpg   Gap in between doors-unnamed-3.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced

Passenger with gaps pic. You can see the difference. The front passenger door seems to stick out more.
Attached Thumbnails Gap in between doors-unnamed.jpg   Gap in between doors-unnamed-1.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Advanced

That's what I was talking about,where the chrome trim and the black trim does not match up good,on the driver's side doors.

On my driver's side,down where the black plastic trim is,the front door is bowed out some there so the trim pieces also don't match up.If you press on it,it flexes in,but pops back out.Super flimsey...So that's probably what it's like on your passenger side doors,where they look popped out.

It seems like a lot of Hondas out here in the parking lot are are pretty sloppy in the door fit.Oh well.

Steve
Old 08-21-2014, 12:51 AM
Advanced

ossaguy,
Do you think warranty would cover this? If I tried bugging my dealer? And I looked at the whole door. It's not just the top black trim, its the whole door. It doesn't look put on properly... but you have to pay attention to detail to notice.. I had my car delivered at 10:00 PM.. I was ready to go home..so not a through check
Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 AM
Advanced

I was going to point it out a couple of days ago,when I was at the dealer starting the oil consumption test..but didn't since I think it's one of those things that I'm going to accept as not being perfect,and being ok with it,even though it bugs me.

My father in-laws Honda Odyssey looks worse.

I've already had 4 other warranty issues they had to solve already in the 2 months I've had it.I think one issue at a time is all they can handle.

I had looked at the parts list,and it looks like the trim pieces are available only as a door.I'd hate to think that the paint would not get matched up right,or the door would have rattles.

On mine,all the angles in the door skins match up perfect all the way across,so if they were to loose the door mounts and tilt it up in the rear,all those points will be out of line.I think that would look worse.

It is frustrating to me....Looking thru parking lots on the door fit of other makes,I have seen the best alignments in the KIAs and Hyundais,and they cost way less.Then when you realize how many people all down the assembly line to the dealer must have noticed it,and said," close enough",.........it bugs me.

I can remember the first TV commercials that Infinity made for the Q 45,where they never showed the full car,but in one of the scenes,they show how perfect a ball bearing rolled iin the space bettween the panels,promoting the perfect fit and finish? I don't think Acura could boast that today.

I'm upset with myself that I did not do a proper pre-sale inspection.I could have caught the 5 defects.I guess I was just caught up in the excitement of buying a new car,plus they had wore me down.Live and learn..........

Please let us know your results if you get it resolved under warranty?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by ossaguy; 08-21-2014 at 01:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AcucaDude (08-22-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 12:00 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
The right and left sides should be pretty close. That is covered under warranty.
AcucaDude (08-22-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Advanced

The Pictures shall explain...
Attached Thumbnails Gap in between doors-unnamed-4.jpg   Gap in between doors-unnamed-5.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Appointment to get the dealer to look at this on Wednesday Sept 3. So I'll update on how it goes.
ossaguy (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Jesus..... That looks really bad.

2013 model. Like when you make that first waffle for breakfast....... You sometimes think about throwing it away and just baking another more perfect one.

But.... you decide to put it on the person's plate.

Does your state have a lemon law?

Last edited by ARascal; 08-26-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Car is back.. unfixed.
Dealer stated
"Adjusted striker to see if door is more plusher with body -- Door is still not plusher evenly with body -- During inspection, found small dent in passenger door near strike -- possible seatbelt being closed on could have caused door to be not plusher"
I SAY:
COMPLETE BS. I don't think they even touched the car. Probably was left there overnight to make it seem like work was being done..

Even worse, I ran over a nail on the way to the dealer so they got another 45 dollars out of me to patch it..

Also for the crooked steering wheel... its "within specs" according to the dealer.
The only good thing from all of this was the 2014 RDX TECH I got as a loaner. It felt... smoother... I didn't hear as much road noise. :/
Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced

I'd be pretty mad about that response.The seat belt retracts really strong on mine,I don't see it ever getting hung up,in order to get the door to slam on it.

My dealer was able to center my wheel right on,it was pretty far off before.

Since you can bring it to any Acura dealer for warranty service,maybe try another dealer?

That response is why I didn't bring up my driver-side door fit issue.

Steve
Old 09-09-2014, 08:38 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AcucaDude
Car is back.. unfixed.
Dealer stated
"Adjusted striker to see if door is more plusher with body -- Door is still not plusher evenly with body -- During inspection, found small dent in passenger door near strike -- possible seatbelt being closed on could have caused door to be not plusher"
I SAY:
COMPLETE BS. I don't think they even touched the car. Probably was left there overnight to make it seem like work was being done..

Even worse, I ran over a nail on the way to the dealer so they got another 45 dollars out of me to patch it..

Also for the crooked steering wheel... its "within specs" according to the dealer.
The only good thing from all of this was the 2014 RDX TECH I got as a loaner. It felt... smoother... I didn't hear as much road noise. :/
Is there a dent there? Did they keep writing "plusher"?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Advanced

ceb,
The picture will answer your question... I mean't plushed. Sorry autocorrect on mac.

and NO, there isn't a dent. It's a little dimple. I'm pretty sure it's on the driver's side too but it's covered by the vin sticker, etc.

ossaguy,
I'm 99% sure that I didn't have anyone slam the door on the seatbelt. I would've heard a noise. I think that this happened before I bought the vehicle. It had about 40 miles on it when I bought it so a couple people test drove it..
Attached Thumbnails Gap in between doors-unnamed-6.jpg  

Last edited by AcucaDude; 09-10-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:05 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

ceb,
The picture will answer your question... I mean't plushed. Sorry autocorrect on mac.

and NO, there isn't a dent. It's a little dimple. I'm pretty sure it's on the driver's side too but it's covered by the vin sticker, etc.

ossaguy,
I'm 99% sure that I didn't have anyone slam the door on the seatbelt. I would've heard a noise. I think that this happened before I bought the vehicle. It had about 40 miles on it when I bought it so a couple people test drove it..
How can they try to repair something if they can't write simple English? Plushed isn't a word - "flush" is and "flushed" means something entirely different.

Go to a different dealership. If the dimple is so tiny that it is covered by a label then it can't be the cause. Can you take a picture of the "dent"? Do other RDX's have the same "dent"?

A side note on the steering wheel. Almost all Acuras have a cover between the dash and the steering wheel that is a bit lopsided. The question on the steering wheel is "is the wheel straight when the car is going straight?" You'll drive yourself nuts if you want to get that cover aligned with the dash and wheel - it won't happen. Every Acura I've seen (TL, TSX, RDX, MDX) has a lopsided cover.
AcucaDude (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Pictures of the "dent/dimple". On the driver's side, there is stickers for tires/warning/etc. stuff blocking it. Sorry about the horrible lighting. I don't think the seatbelt would be closed on it that high. Barely noticeable so that's probably not the cause. I'll go to a different dealer next time I get an oil change.
Attached Thumbnails Gap in between doors-unnamed-1.jpg   Gap in between doors-unnamed.jpg  
Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Pictures of the "dent/dimple". On the driver's side, there is stickers for tires/warning/etc. stuff blocking it. Sorry about the horrible lighting. I don't think the seatbelt would be closed on it that high. Barely noticeable so that's probably not the cause. I'll go to a different dealer next time I get an oil change.
That's ridiculous. Go look at another RDX - I'd bet they all have that. It looks like a manufacturing mark.

Off to a different dealer. Then go back to the original dealer and speak directly to the GM. Then call Acura and tell them how stupid the first dealer is.
AcucaDude (09-17-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced

FIXED! After all that time..
I brought the RDX to a different dealer, in Oakland, and they replaced the right front door latch and adjusted the striker. 100% flush like the rest of the car.
Finally a dealer that can do something. Guess who's license plate frame is on my car now!
Part No. of items replaced
72110-TR0-A11 LATCH ASSY. R. Covered under warranty

I was so happy to get back to the RDX. The ILX loaner was nice but was too low to the ground. But the color... Bellanova White Pearl/Ebony was really nice.
ossaguy (10-23-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 06:01 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

FIXED! After all that time..
I brought the RDX to a different dealer, in Oakland, and they replaced the right front door latch and adjusted the striker. 100% flush like the rest of the car.
Finally a dealer that can do something. Guess who's license plate frame is on my car now!
Part No. of items replaced
72110-TR0-A11 LATCH ASSY. R. Covered under warranty

I was so happy to get back to the RDX. The ILX loaner was nice but was too low to the ground. But the color... Bellanova White Pearl/Ebony was really nice.
The original dealer sounds like an idiot (see definition below). Call Acura and let them know.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Well guess what? My power window on front passenger side failed today. This car is driving me nuts.

And the original dealer is really a idiot. Everyone there probably has an IQ of 0-25 haha. I'm calling when I have free time. A GM dealer could probably do better.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Maybe it's a coincidence, but it sure seems like something is amiss on the passenger side. Maybe it was damaged during the manufacturing process or during shipping? I learned at my last trade that my car had been repaired, including paintwork. I never had any body work done, so it happened before I took delivery. I was told it's pretty common, and manufacturers and/or dealers don't have to disclose it.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Maybe it's a coincidence, but it sure seems like something is amiss on the passenger side. Maybe it was damaged during the manufacturing process or during shipping? I learned at my last trade that my car had been repaired, including paintwork. I never had any body work done, so it happened before I took delivery. I was told it's pretty common, and manufacturers and/or dealers don't have to disclose it.
Well guess what? My power window on front passenger side failed today. This car is driving me nuts.

And the original dealer is really a idiot. Everyone there probably has an IQ of 0-25 haha. I'm calling when I have free time. A GM dealer could probably do better.
Agreed. While the issues clearly don't rise to the level of a "lemon", I would start getting Acura involved.

Just to do an IQ check on yourself, do all of the other windows work? Can the pax window be controlled from either the driver's or the pax side?
Old 10-30-2014, 02:47 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Did you get those window issues sorted out yet?
Old 10-31-2014, 10:59 PM
Advanced

ceb,
All the other windows work fine. The passenger side button works sometimes, but it'll get stuck and I have to click it multiple times to make it go down/up. The driver's side control for the front passenger window is dead.
Comfy,
Unfortunately not yet. I have an appointment with the dealer on Nov. 5th
Old 11-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
This is some interesting reading! After having close to a dozen Volvos over the years(with a Lexus thrown in the middle), I'm reminded every day just how cheesy the Acura doors are in comparison. If the windows(any window) are down a bit, it sounds like they are falling out when the door is shut. Even with the window all the way up or down, the Acura doors sound much more like Subarus than the nice solid Volvos. Dealer says that's the way the Acuras are made.

With apologies to the detail oriented detailers in the crowd, I did a quick polish with NuFinish last week. Can't tell you how flimsy some of the panels feel and how loose some of the seams between panels are.(I usually have the 'auto spa' handle the washing and waxing of the RDX, so I've not been so 'hands on' as to notice, other than a couple of loose 'chrome' pieces). Unfortunately, being up close and personal gave me a good look at the various chips and dings that might go unnoticed during routine driving. I also noticed a couple of the flaking areas around the rear lights as mentioned in other threads. Dang. Nine months to go on the lease...will be interesting to see what transpires at lease-end.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:18 AM
Advanced

Sorry for the late response but it's fixed! The dealer told me that there was no signal coming from the master switch so they replaced it. No problems for now... But I drive the ILX as my daily now.

Last edited by AcucaDude; 12-01-2014 at 12:21 AM.