Fresh air only output - warmed or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fresh air only output - warmed or not?

I am considering trading in my ‘08 Lexus RX400h on a 2013 RDX with Tech. I took a test drive Saturday and was impressed.

If I could get some input from owners on the fresh-air output of the HVAC system it would be much appreciated. There are many times in the spring and fall when the outside air is at a perfect temperature to be brought into a vehicle. This works fine on our ‘09 Camry, ‘08 RX, and ‘09 Vette.

I am “old school” with the A/C and prefer to run without the compressor being activated whenever possible. If the A/C had been on, I always turn the compressor off a minute or so before parking the vehicle so that the coil drains.

However, my ‘04 Maxima fresh air duct design of the was such that the air would be heated to the point that it almost always needed to be cooled by the A/C. It was the same on a Versa that we rented.

It’s so hot now here in SE PA that you cannot check that out on a test drive...unless you did it early in the morning. Do any of you ‘13 owners try to just use fresh air (no compressor) when it’s cool enough (<70) to “do the job?”

Thanks in advance for the answer.

BTW, I just stumbled onto this board. I’ve been a member of automotive message boards for countless years and it appears this is one of the better ones. Congrats for having a nice message board for Acura owners.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
BobBass....Thanks for the kind words about Acurazine members but the Moderators are really the ones to thank as they keep this forum with the necessary check and balance.

As to your question about the "cool" air without using the A/C compressor. I am not if I am old school too but I am no a big fan of using the AC myself, I find it gets too cold and just gives an artificial feel to the air in the vehicles. I am in Eastern Canada and it hasn't been crazy hot here lately. I can confirm (without having a thermometre reading) that the air temeperature in the cabin is sufficiently cool when set on the lowest setting without having the AC compressor turned on. I am not sure if this helps but hope it will...if not, feel free to ask more questions.

BTW...Welcome to our forum board and I can assure you that this RDX is a sweet ride
Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weather
BTW...Welcome to our forum board and I can assure you that this RDX is a sweet ride
I have to second that notion.. I'm finding myself taking the longer route to places lately just because it's so much more enjoyable. Mind you, I did just transition from a 09 Pontiac G6.. well, that and an 05 TSX on some occasions..
Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry and to respond to your question.. I too am in eastern Canada and similar to weather, don't find that it heats up fresh air output with the A/C off. I will try and pay more attention to it tomorrow..
Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Cablerat
Sorry and to respond to your question.. I too am in eastern Canada and similar to weather, don't find that it heats up fresh air output with the A/C off. I will try and pay more attention to it tomorrow..
Hey Cablerat...where in eastern Canada?? Just curious...NB guy here.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If anyone is interested, I took a test drive in a 2012 Murano a coupla days ago and it passed this "test." Nissan managed to route the fresh-air intake in such a way that it does NOT heat the incoming air.