Freaking out at four days of 2016 RDX ownership

Old 11-10-2015, 09:35 AM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe it IS a woman thing! Maybe age has nothing to do with it. It could be my upbringing, too. My dad was a real sports car guy (Corvette, Impala). I blame him for my lead foot and love of a sporty ride. [And yet, he has moved past all of that now; he's about to turn 80 and has been driving SUVs for about the last 15 years. I talked to him about how I'm feeling, and he just said, "Maybe you've had too many cars now and are really hard to impress." Could be a nice way of saying that I'm thinking like a spoiled brat! Haha!]

Originally Posted by andysinnh
I think it's hilarious with your comment about what you like to drive and what your (older) husband likes to drive. In my family, I'm the SUV guy, having driven/owned several through the years. I'm in my late 50's and and really enjoying the RDX. My wife is 2 years OLDER than me (she's 60), and she drives a SH-AWD TL and doesn't like driving my RDX much at all - feels too disconnected from the road, steering too loose, not crisp on corners, etc. Must be a woman thing or something.

andy
Old 11-10-2015, 09:40 AM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I love my 08 RDX (Hondata reflash, ETS intercooler, progress RSB); but, it is a hammer and I usually attack everything like they are nails to max out the fun (Hulk smash mode). I can see how the 16 RDX is more of jack of all trades, master of none personality. Sometimes it would be nice to be Bruce Banner for the daily commute without getting beat-up with road noise, lack of tech, poor mpgs, or rougher ride.

I think the performance and handling numbers are about the same for the 1st and 2nd gen RDX. Maybe the difference could be the all season mpg bias tires, touch softer suspension, and the electric power steering isolating you more from road feel from the 16 RDX? Maybe upgrading/upsizing tires down the road and trying different IDS modes might help.
Thanks for the advice! I'll experiment with IDS modes. indeed! Not sure about different tires. Seems like a hassle to have to change them out (assuming you mean sport/summer tires and then switching to all-seasons or winter tires)?

'course, a little hassle would be better than not liking my vehicle, or (gulp) trading it in after not too many miles because I'm miserable about it. I'll try to keep an open mind and pull out all of the stops to like it if I don't start to feel better as-is!

Last edited by CJaneDrive; 11-10-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Jane, you're my kinda lady
The following users liked this post:
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CJaneDrive
I think that you explained what I've done well, skabei, I've graduated to a real SUV. And the difference between that and what was a hatchback sedan, essentially, are more noticeable than I expected.

I liked the NX for looks and the interior did feel more like a luxury vehicle than the RDX. Do you have the turbo?

Yup, I went for practicality. Now I have to try to appreciate that and not miss the surge of quick power upon acceleration. The RDX is zippy in its own right. It's just not as sporty as I guess I deluded myself into thinking that it was during the buying process.
Yeah I have the turbo. But it doesn't help the car accelerate as fast as the RDX. I also found the RDX too big so the NX was really a good size for me. I fit snugly into the F-Sport seats but if I was any bigger then the seats would be uncomfortable.

I have definitely noticed that there isn't as much talk of mods here than back when I had my TSX. I'm still wondering if I'd have liked the 1st gen RDX. I might've.
Snorf, I carry some stuff. The EX35 had a lot less cargo space, but it served me just fine most of the time. Even so, in selecting the RDX, I was thinking that picking a vehicle that would serve me (in terms of carrying stuff) all of the time would be better. The RDX has quite a bit more cargo space than the EX35 did. That's a win!
I don't think the first gen RDX would have been a worthwhile upgrade if you were looking for cargo space. It's pretty small and only has marginally more carrying capacity than the EX35. You made the right choice for practicality.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Can't compare the EX35 and the RDX.

I was parked next to one the other day and came to one simple conclusion: The EX35 is ***NOT*** an SUV! Just because Infiniti put an "X" in the name does not make it an SUV. It's just a wagon with a big engine up front.

And it's quite a ridiculous wagon at that. The engine bay is close to half the car's length. This thing is all engine. The rear seats are too small, no leg room or head room for adults. The trunk is silly small. At the RDX, a "compact" SUV towers over the EX35. The EX35 is way too low to be an SUV.

So Jane, don't compare a "power wagon" to an SUV. It's not even in the same class.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 10:04 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Not sure about different tires. Seems like a hassle to have to change them out (assuming you mean sport/summer tires and then switching to all-seasons or winter tires)?
I was thinking when you are about 30,000 miles down the road and trying a different tire type (Yoko, conti, goodyear, all season, ultra performance all season, etc...). You can even think about up sizing your tires to a 19" or 20" size if you thinking about aftermarket rims. I also had to play with the PSI to get the road feel I liked. I usually run about 2-5 PSI higher than what is on the door label depending if it is winter (more) or summer (less).

I kept OEM size tires and aftermarket rims on my RDX and TSX; but, went with ultra high performance all season Conti DWS. I up sized to 20" tire/rim combo on my MDX (Conti DWS tires also); which. I really like (look and ride). My 11 MDX Adv has larger front/rear stabilizer bars, more aggressive sh-awd with more rear bias and "sh" programming, magnetic ride control, hydraulic power steering, Heel toe stage II slotted/drilled brake kit, along with lighter 20" rim/tire combo. The big girl can twerk and make it rain when I'm in the mood like my RDX.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Now I'm four full days into RDX ownership (picking up went smoothly - thanks to those of you who posted in response to my other thread), and I'm experiencing some buyer's remorse. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but I feel like I'm not "taking to it" like other cars.
Mine is exactly 4 days old today. So I'm going to comment on my 4 day experience with my RDX next to yours.

My last car was an Infinity EX35 (recently renamed as the QX50). It drove like a sport sedan, so acclimating to it after my car before that (an Acura TSX) was easy. The RDX drives more like an SUV. I feel like I'm levitating down the road, too.
Could that be because the RDX is an actual SUV? The EX35 is just a wagon. Sounds to me like you should've been shopping for a wagon, not an SUV. Buyer's remorse? Of course, you picked the wrong car for your needs.

I feel like there's more body roll with this car, and switching back to all-wheel drive with a front-wheel drive emphasis is more noticeable than I anticipated. (The EX35 is RWD except when AWD kicks in). (Or is this all in my head?)
The dealership didn't explain that? They did explain it all to me.

There are a couple of hiccups with my car as well. Going up one of the hills on my commute resulted in the adaptive cruise control (ACC) being really, really choppy [the EX handled that same hill in ACC mode just fine].
Went up a long hill and my ACC was working fine. It was just the cruise control that have to downshift to maintain speed. All part of the hill climb logic. As forthe ACC keeping the set distance, no problem. Worked just fine.

A strange rattle behind my left ear when driving happens occasionally. That one is so intermittent, and I haven't been able to connect it to any individual event yet, that it'll be hard to get the dealership to hear it.
No squeeks, rattles or anything. But some cars may be built differently than others. So maybe you're just unlucky.

Finally, I'm at under 300 miles, and I understand that there's a break in period. But right now I'm getting 19.3 miles/gallon, and that's with a good half of the driving having taking place on the highway. Fuel economy was a selling point. I'm disappointed. Is that irrational at so few miles?
I've owned many news cars. It takes a few gas tanks for the fuel economy to get to advertised levels. During the break-in period, engines often run a bit too rich.

I loved my TSX, and I loved my EX35. I like the RDX ok, but I fear that I may not end up really enjoying driving it like I did my last two cars. I sound like a spoiled brat here - I know that - but I need someone to talk me off the ledge (not push me off of it like my significant other probably wants to do right now given the anxiety I'm feeling). Part of the issue is that this wasn't an inexpensive purchase, and I want to LOVE it for that price, and I don't.

Advice?
Yes: If it's a power wagon you wanted, return the RDX and get a power wagon. If it's the best bang for buck luxury SUV you want, stick with the RDX and understand that this isn't Porsche Macan. It's not a hotrod SUV! You'll get more than decent power, offroad ability, usefulness and luxury at a reasonable price. That's what Acuras have always been about.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,175 Posts
The 1st and 2nd Gen RDX are within 20-90 lbs in weight (depends on fwd or awd versions). The internal cargo space are also 1-2 cu ft within each other. They both have the same size front/rear stabilizer bars (21mm/19mm). The 16 RDX even has a wider track than the 07-12 RDX (63.4/63.4 -vs- 61.9/62.6). Both 1st/2nd Gen RDX is still larger than Q50 passenger volume and cargo volume (96.8/18.6 cubic feet Q50, 101.4/27.8 1st Gen RDX, 103.5/26.1 2nd Gen RDX)

The advantage goes to 1st gen with extra TQ with the turbo, sh-awd, lower ground clearance and center of gravity (8.1" compared to 6.25"), and a little more balance compared to the little more front heavy 16 RDX. The 16 RDX wins every place else judging by the sales numbers. I think the current performance offerings will be the "new normal" for a while for Acura until sales start to dip down the road.

When I was in High School, the 1984 5.0L Z28 Camaro only had 150hp/240lb-tq. We just have to adjust the pros/cons with every new model OR spend $10,000-$60,000 more to get what we want (Macan S model, M, S-line, AMG, etc...).

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-10-2015 at 10:51 AM.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Sadly no IDS modes with the RDX - there is a considerable tech gap between the RDX and MDX. I understand where OP is coming from, and agree with many that you have to look at what the RDX offers and not what it lacks.

Stated simply, the RDX is a fantastic value CUV that in its class does offer a lot of power, and a very compliant ride. We enjoy ours for what it is. Since it sounds like you purchased and didn't lease, you should also enjoy high resale value down the road. While Acura has lost their way in the sedan sport department their SUV's continue to dominate sales.

To address the OP's issue with hills, we've noticed the same behavior, and I believe what's causing it is actually the RDX dropping to 3 cylinders and then powering up back to 6 when it feels the need to downshift.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it over the long run.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JACN
Could that be because the RDX is an actual SUV? The EX35 is just a wagon. Sounds to me like you should've been shopping for a wagon, not an SUV. Buyer's remorse? Of course, you picked the wrong car for your needs.
It seems that she knew exactly what she was buying and that she intended to buy a larger SUV. She just didn't expect such a pronounced difference in driving experience. Perhaps this is because the EX35 (and the current QX50) are sold as compact SUVs. The EX35 is also a bit more powerful than the RDX and the EX35 has a RWD bias.

I'm feeling it with my NX. I came from a 2012 TL and I do miss the acceleration and the low center of gravity. I also did not expect such a big difference in driving experience (I didn't give it much thought when buying) but I've accepted it now and I'm enjoying the new car. I just had to give myself time to adjust my expectations.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
An alternative to the 2016 RDX Elite that I considered was the Mercedes GLA AMG 355 horsepower. If you're willing to pay a bit more for a snaller vehicle that is freakin' fast, and don't mind crazy maintenance and repair costs, then the GLA AMG might be what you're looking for. As for me, I'm sticking with the 2016 RDX Elite. Btw, went in my friend's Mercedes ML (3 year old car) today. The RDX has faster acceleration and goes over bumps a lot smoother. Also, the interiors are similar.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 11:45 AM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Whoa, the turbo doesn't accelerate as fast as the RDX? Interesting. I thought that the F-Sport would be blazing! I guess that I'm a victim of marketing here, because "F-Sport" just sounds fast, .

The RDX is feeling too big to me now. Wish I'da looked harder at the NX. I only drove the hybrid. Now (revisionist history without full understanding of the facts) I've been wondering if the NX would have been a better choice for me.

Originally Posted by skabei
Yeah I have the turbo. But it doesn't help the car accelerate as fast as the RDX. I also found the RDX too big so the NX was really a good size for me. I fit snugly into the F-Sport seats but if I was any bigger then the seats would be uncomfortable.

I don't think the first gen RDX would have been a worthwhile upgrade if you were looking for cargo space. It's pretty small and only has marginally more carrying capacity than the EX35. You made the right choice for practicality.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:49 AM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Can't compare the EX35 and the RDX.

I was parked next to one the other day and came to one simple conclusion: The EX35 is ***NOT*** an SUV! Just because Infiniti put an "X" in the name does not make it an SUV. It's just a wagon with a big engine up front.

And it's quite a ridiculous wagon at that. The engine bay is close to half the car's length. This thing is all engine. The rear seats are too small, no leg room or head room for adults. The trunk is silly small. At the RDX, a "compact" SUV towers over the EX35. The EX35 is way too low to be an SUV.

So Jane, don't compare a "power wagon" to an SUV. It's not even in the same class.
Jacn, I know this now. It's been a hard lesson. And I do see the flaws of the EX35...which is why I didn't buy another. But now I miss it. (Illogical? Yes, of course, as emotions often are!)

I keep wondering why the RDX shows up as an EX35 competitor when really, to your point, the EX35 is too low to be truly considered an SUV. A "power wagon" is a good description. Why don't other "power wagons" show up as the EX35's main competitors?
Old 11-10-2015, 11:52 AM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Thank you for clarifying, MrGold35. Makes sense. Maybe these tweaks for my next set of tires would make a difference. I haven't done this sort of mod before, but it sounds promising.

Your MDX sounds pretty darn fabulous, I must say!

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I was thinking when you are about 30,000 miles down the road and trying a different tire type (Yoko, conti, goodyear, all season, ultra performance all season, etc...). You can even think about up sizing your tires to a 19" or 20" size if you thinking about aftermarket rims. I also had to play with the PSI to get the road feel I liked. I usually run about 2-5 PSI higher than what is on the door label depending if it is winter (more) or summer (less).

I kept OEM size tires and aftermarket rims on my RDX and TSX; but, went with ultra high performance all season Conti DWS. I up sized to 20" tire/rim combo on my MDX (Conti DWS tires also); which. I really like (look and ride). My 11 MDX Adv has larger front/rear stabilizer bars, more aggressive sh-awd with more rear bias and "sh" programming, magnetic ride control, hydraulic power steering, Heel toe stage II slotted/drilled brake kit, along with lighter 20" rim/tire combo. The big girl can twerk and make it rain when I'm in the mood like my RDX.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Before buying the 2016 RDX Elite I checked out the Lexus NX and the RX. The RDX is faster than both and safer. The NX has a really small cabin and trunk. A 4 cylinder turbo like the NX is not as powerful
as a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder 279 hp engine/252 torque that the 2016 RDX possesses. If you want a 4 cylinder that is super powerful look at the Mercedes GLA AMG 355 hp. It's slightly faster than the Porsche Macan.

Whoa, the turbo doesn't accelerate as fast as the RDX? Interesting. I thought that the F-Sport would be blazing! I guess that I'm a victim of marketing here, because "F-Sport" just sounds fast, .

The RDX is feeling too big to me now. Wish I'da looked harder at the NX. I only drove the hybrid. Now (revisionist history without full understanding of the facts) I've been wondering if the NX would have been a better choice for me.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:56 AM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Sage words, JACN. The salesperson that I worked with at Acura was a man of few words. I should have asked more questions, and known myself better on my test drives. I take full responsibility for where I landed here, though.

Next time I buy a car, I'm going to do my best to find one that I can rent and live with for a week. As I mentioned before, there's nothing like driving a car like you do on your usual route(s), by yourself without a salesperson and shopping companions.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:00 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Originally Posted by skabei
It seems that she knew exactly what she was buying and that she intended to buy a larger SUV. She just didn't expect such a pronounced difference in driving experience. Perhaps this is because the EX35 (and the current QX50) are sold as compact SUVs. The EX35 is also a bit more powerful than the RDX and the EX35 has a RWD bias.

I'm feeling it with my NX. I came from a 2012 TL and I do miss the acceleration and the low center of gravity. I also did not expect such a big difference in driving experience (I didn't give it much thought when buying) but I've accepted it now and I'm enjoying the new car. I just had to give myself time to adjust my expectations.
Exactly, skabei, I knew what I was buying but didn't appreciate how different the daily drive would feel. Giving it time is my next step here!

Last edited by CJaneDrive; 11-10-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Advanced

Why don't other "power wagons" show up as the EX35's main competitors?
Because people think it's a compact SUV because it has an "X" in the name, like the real Infiniti SUVs. Their site says "Urban luxury crossover".

"power wagons" are things like this:

And the X50 isn't competitive against those.

Truth is: The QX50 should be re-labelled as Q50 Wagon and they need a REAL compact SUV to fill in the hole.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
It sounds like you might have been a bit less than thorough in your research and test drives given the number of issues you cite. Letting marketing enter into your decision equation is dangerous and taking anything a salesperson has to say, including what day it is, as gospel is just flat dumb.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:02 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Sadly no IDS modes with the RDX - there is a considerable tech gap between the RDX and MDX. I understand where OP is coming from, and agree with many that you have to look at what the RDX offers and not what it lacks.

Stated simply, the RDX is a fantastic value CUV that in its class does offer a lot of power, and a very compliant ride. We enjoy ours for what it is. Since it sounds like you purchased and didn't lease, you should also enjoy high resale value down the road. While Acura has lost their way in the sedan sport department their SUV's continue to dominate sales.

To address the OP's issue with hills, we've noticed the same behavior, and I believe what's causing it is actually the RDX dropping to 3 cylinders and then powering up back to 6 when it feels the need to downshift.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it over the long run.
I'll have to learn about what IDS modes are. I misunderstood earlier - the RDX has "Drive" and "Sport" modes. I think that the "Sport" mode is supposed to have some bearing on the steering and the shifting behaviour. Not sure about the suspension; I know that some cars (NX I think) also have adaptable suspension modes.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

The 2016 RDX suspension has been thoroughly impressive. Drives so smooth.

Sport mode makes you stay in each gear longer (unless you use the paddle shifters). It gives you more power and if you do it right, faster acceleration.

I'll have to learn about what IDS modes are. I misunderstood earlier - the RDX has "Drive" and "Sport" modes. I think that the "Sport" mode is supposed to have some bearing on the steering and the shifting behaviour. Not sure about the suspension; I know that some cars (NX I think) also have adaptable suspension modes.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 12:11 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Originally Posted by dirleton
It sounds like you might have been a bit less than thorough in your research and test drives given the number of issues you cite. Letting marketing enter into your decision equation is dangerous and taking anything a salesperson has to say, including what day it is, as gospel is just flat dumb.
Yes, I think that I was uncharacteristically hasty in my decision. I'm not arguing. My reputation among friends and family is that I over-think things and over-research. This time, I didn't. Mistake.

With respect to marketing entering my decision, it really didn't...except that I did use sites like Edmunds to help me to identify the vehicles "like" the EX35 (which I really enjoyed) to explore.

Now thanks to this thread I'm realizing that I should have been looking at sport wagons instead of the compact SUVs that Edmunds (and the like) listed. THAT was dumb of me.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Sage words, JACN. The salesperson that I worked with at Acura was a man of few words. I should have asked more questions, and known myself better on my test drives. I take full responsibility for where I landed here, though.

Next time I buy a car, I'm going to do my best to find one that I can rent and live with for a week. As I mentioned before, there's nothing like driving a car like you do on your usual route(s), by yourself without a salesperson and shopping companions.
I think you made the practical choice and bought what you need, not what you want. The RDX is a really good car, I have family possibly purchasing one soon. You just have to learn to appreciate it for what it is, it is a luxury tourer. Something you can attack miles and miles of road with, without getting fatigued or uncomfortable. Honestly, my RDX which is an 07 doesn't bother me at all, I don't know why people say it is overly harsh or anything, but on the rare occasion where I drive something softer like my fathers' santa fe, I realize immediately how much softer and smoother it is. So my point with that, is that even though I love my 07 RDX and the way it drives, I appreciate the soft smooth ride and would rather be in the hyundai on a long trip vs in the Acura.

Give yourself some time, if you still do not like it sell it, give yourself something like 30 days. Remember that you pretty much already took the resale hit, but the less mileage, the easier it will be to sell and the higher the trade in value if you wanted to go that route. If you don't like it after 30 days, chances are you will hate it the longer you keep it. I disagree with what everyone else has said about you buying too many cars, I have had 5 so far, and I still get excited with every new purchase.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 12:30 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Thanks, RDX10. I'm thinking along these lines, too. I'm giving it 30 days, then I'll reevaluate.

Originally Posted by RDX10
I think you made the practical choice and bought what you need, not what you want. The RDX is a really good car, I have family possibly purchasing one soon. You just have to learn to appreciate it for what it is, it is a luxury tourer. Something you can attack miles and miles of road with, without getting fatigued or uncomfortable. Honestly, my RDX which is an 07 doesn't bother me at all, I don't know why people say it is overly harsh or anything, but on the rare occasion where I drive something softer like my fathers' santa fe, I realize immediately how much softer and smoother it is. So my point with that, is that even though I love my 07 RDX and the way it drives, I appreciate the soft smooth ride and would rather be in the hyundai on a long trip vs in the Acura.

Give yourself some time, if you still do not like it sell it, give yourself something like 30 days. Remember that you pretty much already took the resale hit, but the less mileage, the easier it will be to sell and the higher the trade in value if you wanted to go that route. If you don't like it after 30 days, chances are you will hate it the longer you keep it. I disagree with what everyone else has said about you buying too many cars, I have had 5 so far, and I still get excited with every new purchase.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:55 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Yes, I think that I was uncharacteristically hasty in my decision. I'm not arguing. My reputation among friends and family is that I over-think things and over-research. This time, I didn't. Mistake.

With respect to marketing entering my decision, it really didn't...except that I did use sites like Edmunds to help me to identify the vehicles "like" the EX35 (which I really enjoyed) to explore.

Now thanks to this thread I'm realizing that I should have been looking at sport wagons instead of the compact SUVs that Edmunds (and the like) listed. THAT was dumb of me.
The Canadian Lexus NX has available Active Variable Suspension (AVS), heads-up display, and Sport ++ mode.

We had a 2014 RDX Tech and now have a 2015 Lexus NX F-sport. Both are great CUV's but personally I think they have different personalities. The RDX is smooth, powerful, and solid. But by no means is it a sporty CUV. The NX is nimble and sportier. But it isn't a super fast either.

The NX does have turbo lag when accelerating under 2500 rpm. But in Sport mode is is hardly noticeable.

Anyways, hope things work out with the RDX.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 12:59 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I can't imagine that it won't at least grow on you. It's a very nice car, reasonably smooth/quiet with plenty of power and nicely appointed in terms of creature comforts. If you really can't handle it after giving it a fair shake you probably should broom it, assuming you can afford the depreciation hit so soon. Life's too short.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 01:48 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

The Canadian Lexus sounds really nice.

Re: the RDX vs. the NX...good to understand that these have different personalities. I may go back to Lexus to test drive the NX again...the F-Sport this time...in sport mode.

And, maybe I'll look at some sport wagons, too.

Doing a little bit more research (even though it's after the fact of my purchase) may help me to resolve my internal conflict. I'll either realize that I can "love the one you're with", or to realize that I should sell it.

Regardless, thanks for the well wishes! :-)

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
The Canadian Lexus NX has available Active Variable Suspension (AVS), heads-up display, and Sport ++ mode.

We had a 2014 RDX Tech and now have a 2015 Lexus NX F-sport. Both are great CUV's but personally I think they have different personalities. The RDX is smooth, powerful, and solid. But by no means is it a sporty CUV. The NX is nimble and sportier. But it isn't a super fast either.

The NX does have turbo lag when accelerating under 2500 rpm. But in Sport mode is is hardly noticeable.

Last edited by CJaneDrive; 11-10-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:53 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Originally Posted by dirleton
I can't imagine that it won't at least grow on you. It's a very nice car, reasonably smooth/quiet with plenty of power and nicely appointed in terms of creature comforts. If you really can't handle it after giving it a fair shake you probably should broom it, assuming you can afford the depreciation hit so soon. Life's too short.
I have to keep an open mind here. That's my goal for the next 30 days. If by then I'm not obsessing about this anymore, and am in fact actually enjoying the RDX, that would be the best case scenario!

Thanks for your comments!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CybrRdr

The NX was our 3rd choice and it was only because it was too small. I couldn't fit my 29er MTB in the rear and tall items would be an issue because of the rear window angle. The front seats felt cramped and the rears even more.

But as an urban SUV, the F-Sport looks great and it's very nimble. I'd get it as a second SUV and swap the RDX for an MDX if I were rich enough to do such things.

That not being the case, the RDX won out.

PS: Nice little SUV. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 01:58 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
You may like the 1st gen RDX for its ride, but imagine the remorse you'll get when you realize that you are driving a several years (one generation) old dated vehicle (albeit with good turbo engine) which may not be the upgrade you are looking for anyway. Any eventually you'll want to buy the swanky new current RDX ! Just be glad that you bought a great brand new comfortable, powerful and refined vehicle. Every other vehicle may out do it in some areas but not in all. The current RDX is a very good car that excels in most areas and is priced competitively. Try buying other vehicles which you want and suddenly you'll realize how competitive the RDX is. BTW the current version "looks" sporty enough for me. One thing I enjoyed most in the RDX while coming from my sedans is the higher sitting position and comfortable ride in addition to smooth and refined V6 power. This is one car that hasn't given me any buyers remorse at all. And that's rare.
You are right. Go zen for a few months and come and tell us how do you feel. Congratulations on your new car BTW. Good luck.

Last edited by Comfy; 11-10-2015 at 02:04 PM.
CJaneDrive (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Comfy
Every other vehicle may out do it in some areas but not in all. The current RDX is a very good car that excels in most areas and is priced competitively.
This is typical of Honda/Acura. They do everything well and nothing spectacular. All at a reasonable price.

What I noticed in other luxury brands was spectacular in one area and a disaster in another area.

Example: Range Rover Evoque. Spectacularly good looking car. Way too small and no utility whatsoever and Junk quality! Read the reviews; many owners complain the Evoque fails on them in the first week.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:54 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

This is typical of Honda/Acura. They do everything well and nothing spectacular. All at a reasonable price.

What I noticed in other luxury brands was spectacular in one area and a disaster in another area.

Example: Range Rover Evoque. Spectacularly good looking car. Way too small and no utility whatsoever and Junk quality! Read the reviews; many owners complain the Evoque fails on them in the first week.
At least I don't have to worry about the RDX failing on me. I do believe that Acura quality is right up there. Lexus may beat Acura in this area by a margin, but all in all, well, Acura reliability isn't on my list of worries.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks, RDX10. I'm thinking along these lines, too. I'm giving it 30 days, then I'll reevaluate.
Just remember to be very decisive with your choice. Life is too short, don't keep holding onto it and then you realize months later that you really hate it and at that point you will feel like you have had it too long to sell...etc. I would start looking at other cars now, then re-evaluate in 30 days.

If this is the right car for you, you will like it more after trying other cars, if it isn't, you will dislike it more.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Just 4 days... be patient.

Also on a related note, were you able to land more dates with this RDX?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

LOL!! The Hyundai is not smoother driving than the RDX, at least not the 2016 RDX Elite.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Interest level from women goes WAYYY up
every time they see me in the 2016 RDX Elite.

Originally Posted by P1zzaman
Just 4 days... be patient.

Also on a related note, were you able to land more dates with this RDX?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
....fairly major financial decision ...easily researched... is it just me???
Old 11-10-2015, 06:31 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Just remember to be very decisive with your choice. Life is too short, don't keep holding onto it and then you realize months later that you really hate it and at that point you will feel like you have had it too long to sell...etc. I would start looking at other cars now, then re-evaluate in 30 days.

If this is the right car for you, you will like it more after trying other cars, if it isn't, you will dislike it more.
Thanks, RDX10. Good points.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Originally Posted by Sculldog3
....fairly major financial decision ...easily researched... is it just me???
Nope, it's not just you. But if you're interested in making me feel stupid, save your energy. I already have that covered.

I did do research. I took test drives. I perseverated and contemplated and perhaps compromised too much.

But now I'm going to give it some time.

It's understandable if you can't relate, but thanks for reading and posting anyway.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rockyboy
LOL!! The Hyundai is not smoother driving than the RDX, at least not the 2016 RDX Elite.
Fuck off.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
cu2wagon (11-10-2015), dirleton (11-10-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Freaking out at four days of 2016 RDX ownership