Fog lights.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog lights.

I have a 2017 RDX AWD Tech package with Jewelry eye headlights.
Do I need fog lights installed to my car or Jewelry eye headlights are good for driving in foggy night?

please help. 😊
Old 04-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by An Tann
I have a 2017 RDX AWD Tech package with Jewelry eye headlights.
Do I need fog lights installed to my car or Jewelry eye headlights are good for driving in foggy night?

please help. 😊
The Jewel Eye headlights on the 2016+ RDX are extremely white and bright and should suffice in most driving conditions. With that said fog lights are a must have for me. They do add an extra layer of lower wider light off to the sides, hence enhanced vision in fog or inclement weather or just nighttime driving in general.
The following users liked this post:
An Tann (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:51 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I treat my fog lights more like driving lights for improved near/side lighting. All three of my Acura have fog lights in the halogen kelvin range and that contrast really helps brighten up the near/side road at night and gives a distinctive look to on-coming traffic. I also like extra fog/driving lights in bad weather (snow, fog, rain, misty hwys, etc...) because it provides more light for others to see you. My old fashion fog/driving lights do run a little warmer compared to HIDs/LEDs headlights. Less worry about getting encased in snow/slush/muck on those days for added visibility.

You may not gain that much if you install LED fogs at the same temp as the LED headlights other than a cool look.

Last edited by mrgold35; 04-04-2017 at 07:56 AM.
An Tann (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
The fog lights on the RDX aren't really fog lights. Otherwise, you'd be able to turn them on by themselves. As installed, they only activate with the low beams. As mrgold35 said, they do provide a useful function in filling in the near field and adding some side lighting. Especially handy when making turns in town. I'm not so sure they're helpful on the highway. At least, they didn't scare off the possum I hit ;-)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Talking

Originally Posted by jcross1231
The fog lights on the RDX aren't really fog lights. Otherwise, you'd be able to turn them on by themselves. As installed, they only activate with the low beams. As mrgold35 said, they do provide a useful function in filling in the near field and adding some side lighting. Especially handy when making turns in town. I'm not so sure they're helpful on the highway. At least, they didn't scare off the possum I hit ;-)
Being able to turn them on or off individually whether the headlights are on or off has nothing to do with them being fogs or not. Yes, they are fogs. And, I hate to burst your bubble but the fogs weren’t designed to be a possum deterrent. Lol.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Being able to turn them on or off individually whether the headlights are on or off has nothing to do with them being fogs or not. Yes, they are fogs. And, I hate to burst your bubble but the fogs weren’t designed to be a possum deterrent. Lol.
Well, they don't FUNCTION as fog lights, then. Not to mention they're incandescent unless you replace them. And maybe it has something to do with my speed vs. that of the possum ;-) He didn't pick a good place to be on a dark night. Cost me a new fender liner. Surprisingly inexpensive, considering it was an Acura part.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by jcross1231
Well, they don't FUNCTION as fog lights, then. Not to mention they're incandescent unless you replace them. And maybe it has something to do with my speed vs. that of the possum ;-) He didn't pick a good place to be on a dark night. Cost me a new fender liner. Surprisingly inexpensive, considering it was an Acura part.
Most modern vehicles these days the fogs only work in conjunction with the low beams. Yes, it would be nice if they could be independently turned on but we’re stuck what it is unless you want to rewire it to be separately powered. Good luck with that. Also, yes the fogs are incandescent but are actually a halogen version which is slightly higher efficiency than standard incandescent bulbs. The higher temperature filament also produces the “whiter” light often associated with halogen bulbs. Granted, halogens still will never shine as white as an LED but in truth actually perform better as actual fogs. Cosmetically and atheistically looking, yeah, LED fogs look cool and color matched to the headlights but in realty if you’re counting on them for fog the halogen will be better performing. That’s why I decided to leave my OEM fogs as halogens than switching out to LED.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
Get the fogs. They help complete the front end. Go go go...do itttttt....do itttt nowwwww.

Attachment 100649
An Tann (04-12-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 02:15 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura604
Get the fogs. They help complete the front end. Go go go...do itttttt....do itttt nowwwww.

I definitely agree with you about the fog lights completing the front end. I recently purchased a 2017 AWD Tech and was surprised that it didn't come with fog lights from the factory. A buddy of mine upgraded the stock fog lights that came on his Advance with the OEM Accessory LED fog lights and let me have his old housings. I replaced the halogen bulbs with some LED ones and it looks a hell of a lot better now! Can't really comment on how well they work in actual fog because I haven't driven through any yet, but they do add more light below the operating range of the headlights.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Most modern vehicles these days the fogs only work in conjunction with the low beams. Yes, it would be nice if they could be independently turned on but we’re stuck what it is unless you want to rewire it to be separately powered. Good luck with that. Also, yes the fogs are incandescent but are actually a halogen version which is slightly higher efficiency than standard incandescent bulbs. The higher temperature filament also produces the “whiter” light often associated with halogen bulbs. Granted, halogens still will never shine as white as an LED but in truth actually perform better as actual fogs. Cosmetically and atheistically looking, yeah, LED fogs look cool and color matched to the headlights but in realty if you’re counting on them for fog the halogen will be better performing. That’s why I decided to leave my OEM fogs as halogens than switching out to LED.
Fords so far are one that are an exception. my dad's 2013 Explorer and brother's 2016 Fusion Sport can have the fogs activated independently of the low beams - BUT the parking lights have to be on.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
It makes ZERO sense to me that a car maker would require you to have your headlights on in order to have your fog lights on, since the headlights illuminating all the fog (or snow) right in front of you basically renders you blind.

I can't be the only one who has experienced this while driving in heavy fog and snowy blizzards?

I am sure the only reason they do this is for liability reasons, or possibly, they just don't know any better.
jcross1231 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Skidoor
It makes ZERO sense to me that a car maker would require you to have your headlights on in order to have your fog lights on, since the headlights illuminating all the fog (or snow) right in front of you basically renders you blind.
I suspect it's become just an appearance thing rather than a functional thing, although people driving with all their lights on annoys me. Quite a few vehicles have them set too high and too bright. The fogs on the RDX do fill in the near field area that isn't covered, illuminating turns better at night. For fog, they're relatively useless.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidoor

I can't be the only one who has experienced this while driving in heavy fog and snowy blizzards?

I am sure the only reason they do this is for liability reasons, or possibly, they just don't know any better.
Unfortunately it's all for looks my friend. Sadly they now serve pretty much zero function. The fogs on my Kia Sorento are H8 bulbs from the factory and provide some ridiculous (good) light forwards and sideways. By far some of the best fogs I have ever had, though the ones on my previous RDX and X5 were VERY good too. The fogs on my MDX were crap.