Notices

Extended Warranty?

 
Old 05-15-2019, 06:41 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 62
Posts: 47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty?

Late last year, I purchased a 2016 CPO Base RDX. The In-Service Date is 6-16-2015. The manufacturer's basic warranty is up 6-16-19 (4 years/ 50,000 miles basic, 6 years 70,000-mile powertrain), but since the CPO adds 1 year or 12,000 miles to the basic manufacturer's warranty, the RDX is under warranty until 6-16-20 or 62,000 miles. Because it is a CPO, the warranty on the powertrain is good through 6-16-22 or 100,000 miles. Currently, I have 41,500 miles on the vehicle and being I put on approximately 8,000 miles per year, the basic warranty will run out with time (6-16-20) instead of miles (62,000) and the powertrain 6-16-22, instead of 100,000 miles.

In the past few days, I have called a few Acura dealerships to discuss an extended warranty. One dealership offered an extended warranty from Zurich Insurance. The other from JM&A Group. Neither one offered an Acura Care Service Contract (I have no idea why other than the dealerships probably make less profit). Since both extended warranties were similar, I will address only one, from Zurich Insurance.

The assumption is the purchase of the warranty in June 2020. It is a 6-year or 100,000-mile warranty; from 6-16-2020 to 6-16-2026. While I have not read all the details, the warranty seems to cover the same things as the Acura new car warranty (I'm sure in the fine print it excludes things!). There are no deductibles. The cost for the 100,000-mile warranty is $3,233. BUT, let's say I have 50,000 miles on my RDX come June 2020 when theoretically I would purchase the extended warranty. It is really a 50,000-mile warranty because the coverage is up to 100,000 miles in total. Since I put on only about 8,000 miles per year, 2026 most likely would come first.

This is my thinking. My main concern is the cost of repairs for the powertrain. With my CPO, I have a basic warranty through 6-16-20 (or 62,000 miles) and a powertrain warranty through 6-16-22 (or 100,000 miles). If I purchase the Zurich warranty, I get 6 years of time (or 100,000 miles) at a cost of $3,233. However, I am only getting 4 years on the powertrain, my main concern, because my CPO covers the powertrain up to 6-16-22 (or 100,000 miles). Even if the Zurich extended warranty mirrors Acura's manufacturer's warranty, and I doubt it does, $3,233 seems like a lot of money for what amounts to a 6-year basic warranty and a 4-year powertrain warranty.

Interestingly, the cost for this warranty is $3,233 regardless if the RDX is a Base, has the Technology Package or the Advance Package, even though the cost of repairs on the electronics is more on the latter two. I gather if Zurich Insurance can get Base RDX owners to subsidize the cost of warranty repairs for Advance RDX owners, why not. More the reason it seems this warranty is not a value. I have a year to make a decision and the dealer does not expect much of a price change.

I would appreciate your thoughts on extended warranties in general and this one specifically.

Thanks!

Anovice
Anovice is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 AM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Right Here
Posts: 418
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Anovice View Post
I would appreciate your thoughts on extended warranties in general.
Well since you bought it "used" and IF you want peace of mind, what can I say.

Personally, I have never bought an extended warranty for anything, be it a toaster to a car. I buy a quality car and new and have never had an issue. One used car came with a CPO, so no choice there.
Tech is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Greater Chicago
Posts: 51
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a coincidence! I too purchased towards the end of last year 2016 RDX, but Technology + Acura Watch with VERY low mileage. Just like TECH, I never buy extended warranty but… This time they talk me into buying one, claiming that technology and electronics may fail and cost of repair… bla, bla, bla… you known the drill. I bought Autoguard bumper-to-bumper 7 years/100K from the date of purchase. The total for this warranty is about $925, spread over car financing (about $15/month, and financial manager swear about this incredible deal). I am not sure if this Autoguard any good, but the price looked OK and I pulled the trigger.

I hope this will give you some idea about pricing.
Clickit02 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 62
Posts: 47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clickit02 View Post
What a coincidence! I too purchased towards the end of last year 2016 RDX, but Technology + Acura Watch with VERY low mileage. Just like TECH, I never buy extended warranty but… This time they talk me into buying one, claiming that technology and electronics may fail and cost of repair… bla, bla, bla… you known the drill. I bought Autoguard bumper-to-bumper 7 years/100K from the date of purchase. The total for this warranty is about $925, spread over car financing (about $15/month, and financial manager swear about this incredible deal). I am not sure if this Autoguard any good, but the price looked OK and I pulled the trigger.

I hope this will give you some idea about pricing.

What a difference in cost from about $925 to $3,233!

It is certainly understandable why most people loathe purchasing a vehicle. The salesperson praises the quality and five minutes later he throws you in a closed door room with the finance manager to tell you all about the expensive repairs that you are certain to incur the day your car's warranty is up in 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Last edited by Anovice; 05-16-2019 at 07:49 AM. Reason: missing a word
Anovice is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 AM
  #5  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,694
Received 592 Likes on 493 Posts
Are you planning to keep you Acura based on time or mileage? I have +435,000 miles between my 3 Acura's (06 TSX, 08 RDX, 11 MDX). I haven't spent $3,233 total in out of pocket repairs between all three vehicles. That includes 2 alternators, A/C compressor, water pump, radiator, coil pack, 2 power steering pumps, and 1 power steering rack. This excludes repairs during the basic, powertrain, any Acura extended 100k warranties added later, and routine maint like tires/brakes/wipers/filters/fluid changes.

The "Devil is in the Details" for the 3rd party warranty such as:

- transferable to new owner
- can cancel anytime and get a prorated refund
- good for any repair shop OR just ones on the approved list
- any routine/mandatory maintenance required at approved shops to keep extended warranty active
- home maint or non-approved shop might void 3rd party warranty
- pay first out of pocket and then (hope to get full) reimbursement OR reimbursement at the start
- free loaner car
- good in all 50 states

Most of these issues are good to go with Acura Care Extended Warranties if you think you want one. You can also purchase Acura Care on-line from another Acura Dealership and you can sometimes save a little $$$ because of no sales tax if you purchase from another state.

Last edited by mrgold35; 05-16-2019 at 08:39 AM.
mrgold35 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 62
Posts: 47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
Are you planning to keep you Acura based on time or mileage? I have +435,000 miles between my 3 Acura's (06 TSX, 08 RDX, 11 MDX). I haven't spent $3,233 total in out of pocket repairs between all three vehicles. That includes 2 alternators, A/C compressor, water pump, radiator, coil pack, 2 power steering pumps, and 1 power steering rack. This excludes repairs during the basic, powertrain, any Acura extended 100k warranties added later, and routine maint like tires/brakes/wipers/filters/fluid changes.

The "Devil is in the Details" for the 3rd party warranty such as:

- transferable to new owner
- can cancel anytime and get a prorated refund
- good for any repair shop OR just ones on the approved list
- any routine/mandatory maintenance required at approved shops to keep extended warranty active
- home maint or non-approved shop might void 3rd party warranty
- pay first out of pocket and then (hope to get full) reimbursement OR reimbursement at the start
- free loaner car
- good in all 50 states

Most of these issues are good to go with Acura Care Extended Warranties if you think you want one. You can also purchase Acura Care on-line from another Acura Dealership and you can sometimes save a little $$$ because of no sales tax if you purchase from another state.

Thanks for your post. Great information!

As I mentioned, one Acura dealership is pushing a Zurich Insurance Company warranty and the other from JM&A Group. Neither even mentioned an Acura Care Extended Warranty until I asked. Even then, both reluctantly said they could offer one. Would have any idea why?

If I wanted an Acura Extended Warranty, do you know if I would need to get it before the manufacturer's warranty expires (6-16-19) or if I can wait until the CPO warranty expires (6-16-20)?

Prior to the RDX, I had a 2000 Infiniti I-30 with 103,000 miles. Unfortunately, I was hit from behind and the car was totaled. I take care of a car, follow the book regarding maintenance, and I do not drive a car hard.
Anovice is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:24 AM
  #7  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,694
Received 592 Likes on 493 Posts
You have until the start of the original purchase/lease date of the Acura until the 4/50k basic warranty expires to purchase Acura Care (6/16/19 or 50K for you). You can purchase at local dealership or out of state up to 5 additional years and 120,000 total miles of coverage. Acura might give you a discount since you already have the CPO Acura Care and you just want to extend it? The only state I'm aware of you must purchase Acura Care local was if you live in Florida for reason I don't know why other than making more money.

I paid $2390 for a 5yr/120k Acura Care for my 11 MDX about 1 month before the 4/50k basic expired on-line from Acura of Peoria, AZ, (11 MDX purchase Jan/11 and 4/50k expired Dec/14. I got Acura Care because I already replaced my front magnetic ADS struts under the basic warranty at 30k and was planning to keep my MDX to around 150,000 miles. I figured I would break even if the ADS went out again before 120,000 miles and the rears did at 108,000 miles. Also used Acura Care to replace both front seat heater. Acura gave me a loaner for all repairs and zero issues before/during/after the fixes.
mrgold35 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:59 AM
  #8  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 62
Posts: 47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
You have until the start of the original purchase/lease date of the Acura until the 4/50k basic warranty expires to purchase Acura Care (6/16/19 or 50K for you). You can purchase at local dealership or out of state up to 5 additional years and 120,000 total miles of coverage. Acura might give you a discount since you already have the CPO Acura Care and you just want to extend it? The only state I'm aware of you must purchase Acura Care local was if you live in Florida for reason I don't know why other than making more money.

I paid $2390 for a 5yr/120k Acura Care for my 11 MDX about 1 month before the 4/50k basic expired on-line from Acura of Peoria, AZ, (11 MDX purchase Jan/11 and 4/50k expired Dec/14. I got Acura Care because I already replaced my front magnetic ADS struts under the basic warranty at 30k and was planning to keep my MDX to around 150,000 miles. I figured I would break even if the ADS went out again before 120,000 miles and the rears did at 108,000 miles. Also used Acura Care to replace both front seat heater. Acura gave me a loaner for all repairs and zero issues before/during/after the fixes.

Again, thanks!

I was hoping that I could do so up to 6-16-20, but am not surprised that it is 6-16-19 (1 month from now).

Do you know if 5 years and 120,000 total miles is the only Acura Care Warranty option? 120,000 miles I will never reach in this time frame and for me, it is really a 4-year warranty because it runs concurrently with my CPO warranty for the period of 6-16-19 to 6-16-20.

I purchased the CPO in Pennsylvania, am in Pennsylvania for an unknown period of time, but am a resident of Florida. In fact, the RDX is registered in Florida. Does this mean I must purchase the Acura Care Extended Warranty at an Acura dealership in Florida?

Do you have any suggestions on how best to do a search for various Acura dealers in different states?

Anovice
Anovice is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 PM
  #9  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,694
Received 592 Likes on 493 Posts
There are different combinations of 1-5 years with 12,000 - 120,000 miles available; but 5 years and 120,000 total miles was the max you can get with Acura Care when I was looking in 2014. I don't know if it depends on where the car is registered and/or the residency of the owner. The salesman back in 2014 asked me if I was from Florida purchasing Acura Care. There wasn't any in-person inspection, if current maintenance was up to date, or verification of my 11 MDX mileage other than giving them my VIN and paying the warranty. You might have to call (several) Acura dealerships in Florida to confirm if you have to purchase Acura Care in FL if you are resident living out of state X number a months per year. The Florida Acura dealership might not be as flexible with the prices and you have to pay sales tax on top of that. You do have the option to get a quote from every Acura dealership in Florida and get them into a bidding war since the purchase can be done 100% on-line.

Prices were all over the place for Acura Care along with available terms. At the time, I didn't have to pay sales tax if I purchased on-line from New Mexico to Arizona saving me more $$$ on the final price. Acura of Peoria was active on mdxers.org board back then and had the best price and very easy to work with on the purchase. It usually takes an internet savvy person to do internet sales at a dealership.

I have no plans to doing Acura Care from my 19 MDX sport hybrid since it already has a 8/100,000 mile warranty on a lot of the hybrid tech.

Last edited by mrgold35; 05-16-2019 at 12:28 PM.
mrgold35 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Deadhorse
Second Generation RL (2005-2012)
1
08-31-2011 05:12 PM
synth19
Second Generation RL (2005-2012)
16
12-14-2006 05:28 AM
UNCTYPE-S
2G CL Transmission Recall Q & A
2
10-27-2004 09:33 AM
EricL
2G CL Transmission Recall Q & A
9
09-06-2004 04:08 PM
NOVAwhiteTypeS
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
62
07-28-2003 06:23 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.