Do you use regular gas(#87) to fill up 2016+ Acura Rdx?

Old 07-13-2017, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Do you use regular gas(#87) to fill up 2016+ Acura Rdx?

Salesrep. told me regular gas is ok. But MANUEL says #91 recommend. What do you think?
Old 07-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Dozens of threads on this and the debate rages on. Can you use 87 in the RDX? - Yes, Do many people? - Yes The ECU will retard timing to prevent pre-detonation but at the same time you won't get the full performance of the engine. So you may ask yourself - how are going to drive the RDX?
There are folks who have used 87 octane for years and have reported no issues. The manufacturer recommends 91........... Some members ask why spend the $$ on an Acura if you can't afford the recommended fuel? The savings isn't that much. Once again highly debated topic.
The following users liked this post:
Florida Wen (10-21-2023)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
A slight correction, there is a phenomena called "Detonation" and phenomena called "Pre-Ignition", and they are very-very different.

Pre-Ignition is just what it sounds like, ignition of the fuel source before the spark event; when this happens engine destruction will occur within a matter of a few rotations.

Detonation happens after the spark event, typically well after. The cause for detonation is a combination of the flame front being sparked off (by the spark plug) too early and/or too high of a compression ratio (i.e. too much heat in the combustion chamber), which in turn causes small pockets of "end gas" to self combust. Mild detonation is considered by many engineers to be the perfect optimal balance point on that knife edge between too conservative and too aggressive, which in turn leads to peak fuel efficiency. Moderate detonation will, over time, cause damage to your engine, and severe detonation typically leads to short term engine damage, which in turn often leads to pre-ignition (see above).
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
Florida Wen (10-21-2023), NBP04TL4ME (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-...remium-859183/
Old 07-14-2017, 07:21 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
We're in it for the long hall so we use premium Top Tier (name brand) gas. I tried regular for a while on our last RDX, the '13, and my sensitive butt sensed more struggling and the car generally didn't feel right. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a car I'm going to use what the manufacturer recommended. I chatted with an Acura rep about this years ago and there was something about firing at TDC on Acuras, different than on Hondas (my reaction: ).

My d.i.l. Is the principal driver of the '13 now and she tends to fill cars with cheap crap 87 octane gas and use JiffyLube for oil changes, so my son grabs the car every weekend and puts in Shell 91, and makes sure oil changes are done either by the dealer or a service place specializing in higher-end imports.

Last edited by CanTex; 07-14-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez
A slight correction, there is a phenomena called "Detonation" and phenomena called "Pre-Ignition", and they are very-very different.

Pre-Ignition is just what it sounds like, ignition of the fuel source before the spark event; when this happens engine destruction will occur within a matter of a few rotations.

Detonation happens after the spark event, typically well after. The cause for detonation is a combination of the flame front being sparked off (by the spark plug) too early and/or too high of a compression ratio (i.e. too much heat in the combustion chamber), which in turn causes small pockets of "end gas" to self combust. Mild detonation is considered by many engineers to be the perfect optimal balance point on that knife edge between too conservative and too aggressive, which in turn leads to peak fuel efficiency. Moderate detonation will, over time, cause damage to your engine, and severe detonation typically leads to short term engine damage, which in turn often leads to pre-ignition (see above).
horseshoez - you are correct. My bad and/or use of the wrong term
horseshoez (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by CanTex
...... I chatted with an Acura rep about this years ago and there was something about firing at TDC on Acuras, different than on Hondas (my reaction: ).

Lol, I would have had a heyday with that one....on all engines the spark plug fires well before TDC.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I will chime in on cue and say we have used both 87 and 93 over the 33k miles we have had ours. No difference in performance, or MPG. If the Accord with the identical V6 requires regular, why does Acura recommend premium for the RDX? I have yet to get a concrete, believable answer other than "if you can afford to buy a premium car, you can afford to buy premium gas". Not good enough for me.
ronsteve2112 (03-22-2023)
Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 AM
Racer

My RDX is a lease so I go with off brand 93 which is usually about .30 more than brand name regular.
If I owned the RDX,I would use Shell or other top tier gas.

I actually go with Shell 89 in my Accord V6.
I know,I know but it's a feel good thing and I only do around 4K-5K miles per on it..
Old 07-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I use regular for my 2017 RDX - I drive 500-700 miles a week, 80% highway miles
Old 07-19-2017, 05:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Salesman told me don't waste money on premium. Will run fine and regular. So that's what I've been using for 1500 miles. No issues at all.

-cW
Old 07-20-2017, 05:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Coolwater
Salesman told me don't waste money on premium. Will run fine and regular. So that's what I've been using for 1500 miles. No issues at all.

-cW
A salesman will just about say anything to get that commission and sale on the dealer monthly chart.

Don't you think Honda would love to have a regular requirement?
What does Honda have to gain with a premium recommendation?

I think the Honda engineers know what's best for the RDX engine.
thoiboi (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 07:50 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by colt427
A salesman will just about say anything to get that commission and sale on the dealer monthly chart.

Don't you think Honda would love to have a regular requirement?
What does Honda have to gain with a premium recommendation?

I think the Honda engineers know what's best for the RDX engine.
Why are you so worked up about this? You can just call your service dept or acura customer service to find out. None of them will say running regular is a problem or that it will void any warranty.

I went in to get vibrations fixed on my tires due to flat spots. (Sitting on lot of 5 months). Asked service dept and there is nothing wrong with running regular. I put regular in the loaner too and no problems. Whole dealer fleet uses regular...

So as the dealer told me, don't waste money on premium. So I'm comfortable with that.

-cW
Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Racer

Why are you so worked up about this? You can just call your service dept or acura customer service to find out. None of them will say running regular is a problem or that it will void any warranty.

I went in to get vibrations fixed on my tires due to flat spots. (Sitting on lot of 5 months). Asked service dept and there is nothing wrong with running regular. I put regular in the loaner too and no problems. Whole dealer fleet uses regular...

So as the dealer told me, don't waste money on premium. So I'm comfortable with that.

-cW

I'm not worked up about anything.
It's a forum with opinions from forum members.

It's your vehicle, do what you want.
I just find it is funny how people will spend a lot of $$$ for a vehicle and then think they know more than the engineers who had input into the making of the vehicle.

On top of that, believe a salesman over the engineers.

If the RDX can use regular, why isn't it recommended in the owners manual?
Wouldn't a regular recommendation be beneficial for sales?
People don't like paying up to .90 more for premium.Honda bean counters certainly know that.

Last edited by colt427; 07-20-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Honda engineers obviously have stock in gas and oil companies
Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by colt427

I'm not worked up about anything.
It's a forum with opinions from forum members.

It's your vehicle, do what you want.
I just find it is funny how people will spend a lot of $$$ for a vehicle and then think they know more than the engineers who had input into the making of the vehicle.

On top of that, believe a salesman over the engineers.

If the RDX can use regular, why isn't it recommended in the owners manual?
Wouldn't a regular recommendation be beneficial for sales?
People don't like paying up to .90 more for premium.Honda bean counters certainly know that.
Err the manual says regular fuel can be used. Why dont you rtfm? Unless you are just a troll. You have been ignored...

-cW
Old 07-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Err the manual says regular fuel can be used. Why dont you rtfm? Unless you are just a troll. You have been ignored...

-cW

I just rtfm and it said this:

Source: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p.../BX41616OG.PDF

Your move, notsocool water
The following 3 users liked this post by thoiboi:
colt427 (07-20-2017), Froid (07-27-2017), losiglow (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:36 AM
Racer

-cW
The manual states a recommendation of 91+.
Page 112
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p.../BX41616OG.pdf

You're the one that's getting so worked up about this.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi

I just rtfm and it said this:

Source: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p.../BX41616OG.PDF

Your move, notsocool water
Ouch!That's going to leave a mark!
Old 07-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I'm not going to chime in with premium vs. regular. It's an old subject with too many opinions. I'm a science nerd, degree in Bio and Chem and knowing the chemistry of octane, I use the recommended top-tier premium in my TL.

However, what I will say is that in may cases, car salespeople don't know about the cars they sell. They're SALESpeople. They specialize in SALES. They learn about the fancy features and sales points on whatever product they sell and tout it as such. That's their job. And they do well at it. But their job doesn't require to have an extensive, or even a basic knowledge of the inner working of the product. I've learned this the hard way, working for a few different companies specializing in science and technical services. The sales people simply know what they need to in order to sell the product/service. And that's just fine. That's why they transfer the call to us science dorks when the customer starts asking technical questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by losiglow:
Froid (07-27-2017), thoiboi (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

I will not be baited anymore. I am done. You can selectively paste only parts of the manual but that is ok.

-cW
Old 07-20-2017, 11:10 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
Reading this thread reminded me of what I had read in the owners manual for my TL. I found it an interesting comment on the subject

"Break-in Period, Fuel Recommendation

Help assure your vehicle’s future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles (1,000 km). During this period: You should also follow these recommendations with an overhauled or exchanged engine, or when the brakes are replaced. Do not change the oil until the multi-information display indicates it is needed. Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.

Your vehicle is designed to operate on premium unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 91 or higher. If this octane grade is unavailable, regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 87 or higher may be used temporarily. The use of regular unleaded gasoline can cause metallic knocking noises in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance. The long-term use of regular-grade gasoline can lead to engine damage.

On vehicles with manual transmission
You may hear a knocking noise from the engine if you drive the vehicle at low engine speed (below about 1,000 rpm) in a higher gear. To stop this, raise the engine speed by shifting to a lower gear."

this is copy and pasted from page 468 of my cars manual at

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...2/K41212OM.PDF

Last edited by dopeboy1; 07-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
I will not be baited anymore. I am done. You can selectively paste only parts of the manual but that is ok.

-cW
Could you post the *other* part of the manual that corroborates your story?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Does anyone else use water to fill their tank? I heard that works.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by truefrank
Salesrep. told me regular gas is ok. But MANUEL says #91 recommend. What do you think?

I don't trust Manuel... I've had him tell me all types of things.. I'm not racist or anything but take his advice with a grain of salt...
The following 3 users liked this post by thoiboi:
altair47 (12-07-2023), kurtatx (07-20-2017), Willowbeast (08-25-2022)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Could you post the *other* part of the manual that corroborates your story?

He's done... didn't you hear him?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I don't trust Manuel... I've had him tell me all types of things.. I'm not racist or anything but take his advice with a grain of salt...
You don't trust ol' manny?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kurtatx
You don't trust ol' manny?
I've said enough.. I will no longer be baited by someone twisting my words against me.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Intermediate

add 10% sugar for better mpgs
Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Reading this thread reminded me of what I had read in the owners manual for my TL. I found it an interesting comment on the subject

"Break-in Period, Fuel Recommendation

Help assure your vehicle’s future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles (1,000 km). During this period: You should also follow these recommendations with an overhauled or exchanged engine, or when the brakes are replaced. Do not change the oil until the multi-information display indicates it is needed. Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.

Your vehicle is designed to operate on premium unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 91 or higher. If this octane grade is unavailable, regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 87 or higher may be used temporarily. The use of regular unleaded gasoline can cause metallic knocking noises in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance. The long-term use of regular-grade gasoline can lead to engine damage.

On vehicles with manual transmission
You may hear a knocking noise from the engine if you drive the vehicle at low engine speed (below about 1,000 rpm) in a higher gear. To stop this, raise the engine speed by shifting to a lower gear."

this is copy and pasted from page 468 of my cars manual at

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...2/K41212OM.PDF
I see what it says, but in my RDX with almost 34k on the clock there are no metallic, knocking noises with the 87 octane gas I use. The car runs perfectly. Just having it in the manual isn't good enough for me when the Accord uses the exact same motor with virtually the same output (yes, I know the RDX puts out a tremendous 1hp more than the Accord V6) and compression ratio. If 87 is good enough for the Accord V6, it's good enough for the RDX....
Old 07-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Jrad96TL
add 10% sugar for better mpgs
Yup. Just fill her up, push the car down a hill and BOOM: infinite MPG
Old 07-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Drifting

I also recommend adding vegetable oil and bacon grease to the tank. Lubricates the piston rings. It's all hydrocarbons at the end of the day. And who doesn't like bacon? Cars like it as much as we do.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:38 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
The salesman told me.

Originally Posted by losiglow
I also recommend adding vegetable oil and bacon grease to the tank. Lubricates the piston rings. It's all hydrocarbons at the end of the day. And who doesn't like bacon? Cars like it as much as we do.
It also helps lube the muffler bearings.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Latent car nut

Then there are the all-important stickers from one's favorite mod(s); don't properly locate/mount the stickers and you'll lose performance and mileage.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Drifting

^ True. Nothing like the added power of Tein, K&N, COBB tuning, Megan, DC Sports and Skunk2 stickers. I've done the J-Pipe, magnaflows and lightweight wheels. Stickers are next on my list. Just gotta save up some $$$.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Manuel got drunk in my house and raped one of my chickens
He said the salesman told him it was okay and to go ask in the front office
I executed that chicken and fried it up
Salesman ate every piece

Ain't that right @cu2wagon?
Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 PM

Especially in the winter months...........
Old 07-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Azine Jabroni

For all yall that are like "These guys are jerks!", we're just sick and tired of gasoline threads
Old 07-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Or we're actually jerks
Old 07-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Majofo
Or we're actually jerks
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you use regular gas(#87) to fill up 2016+ Acura Rdx?