Notices

DIY Ceramic Coating

Old 04-14-2019, 10:43 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 160 Likes on 145 Posts
DIY Ceramic Coating

I'm sure someone must have done DIY ceramic coating on your 2G RDX. I've been recommended these products www.R1coatings.com and GTechniq Ceramic Coating from other subforms.
Are these the same as C quartz/ Opti-Coat which have been on marked for several years now.
I'm interested in only reducing my car wash / maintenance frequencies and not aiming for a showroom shine. I'm not particularly bothered to do professional coating (as several members prefer) simply because paying over a grand for exterior coating is not what I consider prudent for a five year old car. I usually park the RDX outside in my driveway. I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 PM
ceb
Registered Member

Received 1,178 Likes on 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy View Post
I'm sure someone must have done DIY ceramic coating on your 2G RDX. I've been recommended these products www.R1coatings.com and GTechniq Ceramic Coating from other subforms.
Are these the same as C quartz/ Opti-Coat which have been on marked for several years now.
I'm interested in only reducing my car wash / maintenance frequencies and not aiming for a showroom shine. I'm not particularly bothered to do professional coating (as several members prefer) simply because paying over a grand for exterior coating is not what I consider prudent for a five year old car. I usually park the RDX outside in my driveway. I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
Your results will only be as good as the prep. You need to clay bar and polish the surface prior to application. Anything on the surface will be there forever after the coating is added.

The coating needs to be applied lightly AND evenly. Any streaks will also be there forever.

If you've not done the prep before and feel comfortable making your car better than showroom perfect, then you won't be happy with the results - no matter how low your standards as the coating will amplify any paint defects.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:15 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 160 Likes on 145 Posts
I will do the prep as required with clay bar and polishing as advised. But I don't have a special tools such as buffers for this job and will do whatever can be done by hand. Is it a one man job or you need multiple people?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy View Post
I will do the prep as required with clay bar and polishing as advised. But I don't have a special tools such as buffers for this job and will do whatever can be done by hand. Is it a one man job or you need multiple people?
Depending on how good you want the car to look, I wouldn't be surprised if it took you a whole day to do the job. Polishing this kind of paint pretty much requires a buffer of some sort, which also makes it a lot easier and faster. I would get a cheap DA polisher and get a friend or someone to help you out if you don't want to spend a whole day on it.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
So is this product also applied over Xpel paint protection film?