AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   DIY Ceramic Coating (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/diy-ceramic-coating-978750/)

Comfy 04-14-2019 10:43 PM

DIY Ceramic Coating

I'm sure someone must have done DIY ceramic coating on your 2G RDX. I've been recommended these products www.R1coatings.com and GTechniq Ceramic Coating from other subforms.
Are these the same as C quartz/ Opti-Coat which have been on marked for several years now.
I'm interested in only reducing my car wash / maintenance frequencies and not aiming for a showroom shine. I'm not particularly bothered to do professional coating (as several members prefer) simply because paying over a grand for exterior coating is not what I consider prudent for a five year old car. I usually park the RDX outside in my driveway. I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

ceb 04-15-2019 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Comfy (Post 16411387)
I'm sure someone must have done DIY ceramic coating on your 2G RDX. I've been recommended these products www.R1coatings.com and GTechniq Ceramic Coating from other subforms.
Are these the same as C quartz/ Opti-Coat which have been on marked for several years now.
I'm interested in only reducing my car wash / maintenance frequencies and not aiming for a showroom shine. I'm not particularly bothered to do professional coating (as several members prefer) simply because paying over a grand for exterior coating is not what I consider prudent for a five year old car. I usually park the RDX outside in my driveway. I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

Your results will only be as good as the prep. You need to clay bar and polish the surface prior to application. Anything on the surface will be there forever after the coating is added.

The coating needs to be applied lightly AND evenly. Any streaks will also be there forever.

If you've not done the prep before and feel comfortable making your car better than showroom perfect, then you won't be happy with the results - no matter how low your standards as the coating will amplify any paint defects.

Comfy 04-19-2019 01:15 AM

I will do the prep as required with clay bar and polishing as advised. But I don't have a special tools such as buffers for this job and will do whatever can be done by hand. Is it a one man job or you need multiple people?

2015RDXTech 04-22-2019 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Comfy (Post 16413631)
I will do the prep as required with clay bar and polishing as advised. But I don't have a special tools such as buffers for this job and will do whatever can be done by hand. Is it a one man job or you need multiple people?

Depending on how good you want the car to look, I wouldn't be surprised if it took you a whole day to do the job. Polishing this kind of paint pretty much requires a buffer of some sort, which also makes it a lot easier and faster. I would get a cheap DA polisher and get a friend or someone to help you out if you don't want to spend a whole day on it.

Tech 04-25-2019 05:02 PM

So is this product also applied over Xpel paint protection film?