Dash separation issue

Old 07-26-2016, 06:03 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by kfhughes
This is my 2016 Advance: Either I can't see the gap or it's not as pronounced.

That's more like it.

To everyone with this issue and the dealer says "they are all like that" then show them this picture and open a case with Acura.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:03 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
That one is much better but obviously it isn't the norm.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:33 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by chickdr
That one is much better but obviously it isn't the norm.
But it should be. Manufacturers get away with this crap because we let them.

While it is easy (and sometimes even OK if the consumer really is too picky) to say that "they are all like that" , pictures like the one above belie that.

Most (all) Acuras have the issue that the trim surrounding the steering column is crooked. They really ALL are like that on the TSX to the point where it is obvious that whoever designed it must have been listing a bit as it was drawn. This, however, is a different issue as it is clear from some cars how it should be and it is up to the consumer to hold Acura's feet to the fire. If you aren't going to do that then quit complaining (not directed at anyone in particular but to the larger group that complains but does nothing to correct an issue.

OTOH, of course, is being too picky. Any item will have some flaws, creaks or rattles and each owner needs to decide if they are things that need to be addressed. My TSX has an annoying rattle caused by the grab handle above the left ear. It sounds like it is coming from the B pillar but pulling the grab handle away from the roof, then releasing it back resolves the issue for a while. It just needs a couple of rubber door bumpers to permanently fix the issue but I never think of it - and clearly it isn't anything to bother the dealer with.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
But it should be. Manufacturers get away with this crap because we let them.

While it is easy (and sometimes even OK if the consumer really is too picky) to say that "they are all like that" , pictures like the one above belie that.

Most (all) Acuras have the issue that the trim surrounding the steering column is crooked. They really ALL are like that on the TSX to the point where it is obvious that whoever designed it must have been listing a bit as it was drawn. This, however, is a different issue as it is clear from some cars how it should be and it is up to the consumer to hold Acura's feet to the fire. If you aren't going to do that then quit complaining (not directed at anyone in particular but to the larger group that complains but does nothing to correct an issue.

OTOH, of course, is being too picky. Any item will have some flaws, creaks or rattles and each owner needs to decide if they are things that need to be addressed. My TSX has an annoying rattle caused by the grab handle above the left ear. It sounds like it is coming from the B pillar but pulling the grab handle away from the roof, then releasing it back resolves the issue for a while. It just needs a couple of rubber door bumpers to permanently fix the issue but I never think of it - and clearly it isn't anything to bother the dealer with.
I agree with you in theory it shouldn't be this way, BUT in this case what would the fix be? A new dash/cluster? Considering how many seem to have the issue who knows if a replacement would be any better than what I have now. I would also have to trust the dealer not to F up my cars interior swapping the dash out(which I don't)....

On the other hand my car has the annoying creak in the steering column which supposedly can be fixed by a TSB to trim the leather on the back of the steering wheel. This I will have done.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:35 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I agree with you in theory it shouldn't be this way, BUT in this case what would the fix be? A new dash/cluster? Considering how many seem to have the issue who knows if a replacement would be any better than what I have now. I would also have to trust the dealer not to F up my cars interior swapping the dash out(which I don't)....

On the other hand my car has the annoying creak in the steering column which supposedly can be fixed by a TSB to trim the leather on the back of the steering wheel. This I will have done.
Seeing as the problem is quite common, I would escalate this to Acura corporate in a letter including pictures. This is a clearly a manufacturing issue that they'll want to resolve - then issue a TSB to dealers with the fix. I don't think that we know what the fix is. It will take an Acura engineer to figure it out - it may be something as simple as the dash not assembled properly.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it should be a TSB. And your right, i don't think they have a fix for it yet.

I was on the phone with Acura Canada, and they concluded that it was a "inherent feature"...and that since the service manager concluded that its not a defect, that they would not be able to do anything further. SO I asked what if i want dash replaced, she said how it would come out of my pocket since this is not a "defect" of the car.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:20 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ANJ28
I think it should be a TSB. And your right, i don't think they have a fix for it yet.

I was on the phone with Acura Canada, and they concluded that it was a "inherent feature"...and that since the service manager concluded that its not a defect, that they would not be able to do anything further. SO I asked what if i want dash replaced, she said how it would come out of my pocket since this is not a "defect" of the car.
And that is why you send a registered letter, along with photographs of how it should be (and how it is) to Acura Corporate. The guys and gals answering the phone aren't at the appropriate level to respond and to fix this.

If you have an email describing this as a "feature" you may want to include this in your letter as well.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I may have to send Acura Canada a letter, or would you suggest sending it to Acura(united states).

the "feature" convo was on the phone, so no email. Although I should really get them to email me. Another thing i found funny is when I mentioned how I have seen pictures on forums of other dashes and how some look fine others don't, her response was how "one is USA may have different build requirements and what not compared to Canadian, and I can worry about that, I can only talk and worry about yours"...which I found to be a joke..basically saying the Canadian markets are the lucky ones to get this amazing "INHERENT FEATURE"
Old 07-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Pro

Nope- it is in ALL RDX's as we have shown here. I am waiting for a return call from Acura corporate. I sent an e-mail about it last week and they called on Friday when I was out of town. Since then I have called back three times and gotten no answer even with the extension of the person who called me. It seems their customer service at corporate is a "good" as the cars build quality... I will report back with what they say.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ANJ28
I think I may have to send Acura Canada a letter, or would you suggest sending it to Acura(united states).

the "feature" convo was on the phone, so no email. Although I should really get them to email me. Another thing i found funny is when I mentioned how I have seen pictures on forums of other dashes and how some look fine others don't, her response was how "one is USA may have different build requirements and what not compared to Canadian, and I can worry about that, I can only talk and worry about yours"...which I found to be a joke..basically saying the Canadian markets are the lucky ones to get this amazing "INHERENT FEATURE"
Interesting point. Is this "feature" more prevalent in Canadian cars?

Why don't one of you start a poll (including pictures so readers can see the problem and what is normal) and ask the question:

Do you have this problem with your dashboard (see photos)
Yes, I have the problem, I'm in Canada
Yes, I have the problem, I'm in the US
No, I don't have the problem, I'm in Canada
No, I don't have the problem, I'm in the US

That should tell you, amongst forum members at least, how widespread the problem is and if it is limited to ( or more prevalent in) Canadian cars
Old 07-27-2016, 02:49 PM
Pro

Just got off the phone with a CS rep. No offer of $500 in accessories even though my parking brake issue alone should warrant it....

All she said(in a very nice way) was to make sure I keep going back to the dealer to let them try to document the issues I complain about. The dealer won't do anything they can't replicate as they will have to eat the cost if Acura USA doesn't approve it. Not very reassuring really. I can see many visits to the dealer in our RDX's future. Glad they have loaners.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:27 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Interesting point. Is this "feature" more prevalent in Canadian cars?

Why don't one of you start a poll (including pictures so readers can see the problem and what is normal) and ask the question:

Do you have this problem with your dashboard (see photos)
Yes, I have the problem, I'm in Canada
Yes, I have the problem, I'm in the US
No, I don't have the problem, I'm in Canada
No, I don't have the problem, I'm in the US

That should tell you, amongst forum members at least, how widespread the problem is and if it is limited to ( or more prevalent in) Canadian cars
Yes I have this problem. I'm in US. Photos will come later. I can actually shine a light through the gap to see the "other side" internals. It's not a deal breaker for me since one has to look for it to see it. I'm interested if there is a solution though.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:45 PM
Pro

It seems to be a block of some kind under the bottom of the cluster could hold it in place, but then what would happen?(rattles I am sure).
Old 07-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
This is why your instrument garnish moves

There are no screws at the top to hold it down
Old 07-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Pro

Nice design....
Old 07-30-2016, 12:26 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unfortunately it seems like it's just part of the design. Just doing a quick online search you can see the gap.

I also looked at my 2017 Advanced and I have the gap as well. If someone doesn't have the gap can they post a pic.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:15 AM
Advanced

Here's my dash with the gap.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:54 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by alexderaven

Look at post #21 in this thread. There is a difference between a gap and A GAP. While you have a gap, it appears to be fairly even - others aren't.

One can easily argue that your gap is designed that way, but you can't make that argument if the gap is irregular.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Advanced

This is the issue I have BTW... I might expect it on a Chinese car, but not an Acura.
It looks like there's a gap here too, but there's also a piece of foam inserted into the gap. That piece of foam seams to be detaching.
Maybe the piece of foam is added in an attempt to fix the design, someone else mentioned that their dealership suggested this as a fix.

Last edited by alexderaven; 07-31-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Pro

I was considering a piece of black felt or weatherstripping, but I am not sure how to get to the area I need to address. I don't want to take the whole dash apart.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:33 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

It looks like there's a gap here too, but there's also a piece of foam inserted into the gap. That piece of foam seams to be detaching.
Maybe the piece of foam is added in an attempt to fix the design, someone else mentioned that their dealership suggested this as a fix.
I was considering a piece of black felt or weatherstripping, but I am not sure how to get to the area I need to address. I don't want to take the whole dash apart.
I'd say that a nice, even gap is probably acceptable and may even be intended to reduce squeaks and rattles - but bits of foam hanging out as bird bait waiting for a sparrow to pluck as a bird's nest isn't right.

If a consumer tries to fi it and either breaks something (clusters aren't cheap) or introduces a new squeak then it is the consumer's fault. If the dealership fixes it then it is their responsibility..

I think the two pictures clearly illustrate the problem that needs to be addressed.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dash crack

Nope - I was told this is how all RDX's are.... My girlfriend looked at a 2017 on the showroom floor just for fun and sent me a photo. It looked just like ours.

I sent an e-mail to Acura complaining about the piss poor quality of the RDX. They have replied asking for more info. I am sure it won't go anywhere but I feel better telling someone about it. Of course they asked for the dealer info which I am sure means they get a call. It isn't the dealers fault we have these issues. They were all factory generated.
I was thinking to get 2017 Acura RDX, but after I read this post I don't think I will buy another Acura again. I have 2006 Acura TL, my car is always in the garage, even at work always in the covered garage. After 5 years owner ship the dash board crack in few area. call Acura finally will replace it and I had to pay $300, because I had service in the dealer. Now after another 5 year I saw another sign of cracking near the passenger airbag.
With all the complain from Acura TL owner I thought Acura will improve the quality of the material use for such of luxury car division. I have Lexus GS for 17 years, the dashboard still like new. I think i will stay with Lexus.
Don't get me wrong I love the car the way it drive and the engine, is just they use poor quality material.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by kretek234
I was thinking to get 2017 Acura RDX, but after I read this post I don't think I will buy another Acura again. I have 2006 Acura TL, my car is always in the garage, even at work always in the covered garage. After 5 years owner ship the dash board crack in few area. call Acura finally will replace it and I had to pay $300, because I had service in the dealer. Now after another 5 year I saw another sign of cracking near the passenger airbag.
With all the complain from Acura TL owner I thought Acura will improve the quality of the material use for such of luxury car division. I have Lexus GS for 17 years, the dashboard still like new. I think i will stay with Lexus.
Don't get me wrong I love the car the way it drive and the engine, is just they use poor quality material.
Just for clarification, and hoping you even read the thread. This isn't about the dash material cracking. It is about there being an unintended gap between the top of the dash cluster and the dash cluster cover/lid/binnacle thing.

I can't and won't argue about Lexus vs Acura interior quality. Because they are not even in the same ball park. But you do pay quite a bit more for lexus vs Acura products in the same class so it is expected.
The following users liked this post:
YeuEmMaiMai (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Lexus is downright amazing on their interiors... puts Acura to shame....it really does...
Old 09-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a 2017 RDX and I have the same problem it is very ugly and disappointment
Old 09-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rdx2017
I just bought a 2017 RDX and I have the same problem it is very ugly and disappointment
Especially when the car has been in production with the same dash since 2013. You think Acura would take the time/effort to fix it. I suspect the CR-V doesn't have this issue....
Old 02-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

Thank you OP for saving me trouble of posting this topic. Just caught this issue today on my 2015 (20000km / 12000miles) I've probably had this issue much longer possibly since I bought the car brand new as the streering wheel exactly blocks my line of view with this (the factory probably figured most customers will never notice it):

This is not acceptable. Most of the parts in this vehicle Ive learned are cannibalized from CRV so it will fit snugly in the cry but they have too make compromises when transferring the parts to Acura product. I have an appointment with the dealership to look a this next week so ill post an update then. This issue is the last straw for me, this product is a laughing stock.

heres my pics:

Last edited by SiliconFox; 02-17-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

I just wanted to add that honestly just look at how bad this looks , I wonder if anyone buying a new car of any make or model would find this acceptable. And I'm shocked to hear that the Acura dealerships involved would find it acceptable to let the OP and others affected in this thread to drive out of the sop after showing them this issue.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:41 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just looked at our 2 week old 17 RDX, it has a slight gap - not really noticeable. It looks like two separate dash pieces that are mounted together.
Really no big deal to me - like I say: "Some people would bitch about a winning lottery ticket"
Old 02-18-2017, 11:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by srpuywa
I just looked at our 2 week old 17 RDX, it has a slight gap - not really noticeable. It looks like two separate dash pieces that are mounted together.
Really no big deal to me - like I say: "Some people would bitch about a winning lottery ticket"
Look at the photo directly above your post. That is not acceptable for a Honda never mind a "luxury brand"...
Old 02-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Advanced

How many of us have taken it to the dealership to see if they could repair this? Anyone successful?
Old 02-19-2017, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

This about the same as my RDX Advance, October build. I'm going to be the contrarian here and state that the gap on my car is within production tolerances. Two disparate parts coming together at final assembly. It's in a shaded area, black on black, and in my case the steering wheel conceals it from view. I had to use my phone's flashlight to see it in the first place. Could it be better? Certainly. Does it affect my enjoyment of the car? Nope.

As an old boss once said to me when I came complaining about the dastardly deeds another department had done to my department, expecting him to unleash his dragon flames, "I've only got so many bullets left in my 6-gun, do you really think this is the best place to use them?". (Not to worry, my people did me proud a week later and evened the score. But that's another story.) So I say everyone should just enjoy your car and don't stress about the very minor fit and finish issues. The RDX is a damn fine automobile.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:54 PM
Advanced

I agree it doesn't take away from this vehicle, I'd still purchase knowing it is the way it is. But that doesn't mean it's not an annoying issue to have, one that dealerships should be willing to fix. Also, it's a little disappointing that Acura hasn't fixed this issue since it was identified in 2013. If the 2018 comes out with this still existing , that would be even more disappointing.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:03 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by CanTex
This about the same as my RDX Advance, October build. I'm going to be the contrarian here and state that the gap on my car is within production tolerances. Two disparate parts coming together at final assembly. It's in a shaded area, black on black, and in my case the steering wheel conceals it from view. I had to use my phone's flashlight to see it in the first place. Could it be better? Certainly. Does it affect my enjoyment of the car? Nope.

As an old boss once said to me when I came complaining about the dastardly deeds another department had done to my department, expecting him to unleash his dragon flames, "I've only got so many bullets left in my 6-gun, do you really think this is the best place to use them?". (Not to worry, my people did me proud a week later and evened the score. But that's another story.) So I say everyone should just enjoy your car and don't stress about the very minor fit and finish issues. The RDX is a damn fine automobile.
Well said. Agree 100%.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

Update: So I just returned form the dealership regarding this issue. A few staff members came to look at the popped dash. They explained that other people have also come in with this issue recently and that they are aware of it, waiting for Acura to acknowledge some kind of fix for it and it is unfortunately present even in new showroom models. We agreed they would open the dash and attempt to realign as much as possible, and they even added what looked like some form of weather stripping. They said they cant fully seal/align it but at least try to make some percentage better, which i appreciated this effort. So again i will say I am happy the service dept made this attempt and I do feel it looks much better. However, I feel this is a glaring issue from Hondas brand engineering. It cheapens the production costs for them to pick parts off the crv production bin but at the cost of customer quality and safety. So assuming this gap doesnt get much larger from thermal expansion/contraction of the dash components then I am OK with it. But I dont see myself coming back to this brand.

Heres some pics of the update. If you want to see my before pics look at my posts above.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:06 PM
Pro

That looks a lot better. My dealer offered no such option- just "they all have gaps like that"...
Old 03-12-2017, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

Mine too 2014 RDX

So glad I found this site. Having same problem at 42000. Going in to dealer on Tuesday
Old 03-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Mine is like that, too, but I don't think it's a big deal. The fit on the dash leaves a lot to be desired on our 2016 RDX. None of the pieces on the front of the dash fit smoothly - there is a noticeable "bump" or unevenness everywhere 2 pieces come together.