Considering the RDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering the RDX

Hello everyone! My name is Tanner and im from NC. Currently My wifes boat (2001 Buick LeSabre) is on its way out and we are saving money for an investment to replace her car. Currently I drive a 2013 Honda Accord that we got late last year. We are considering either a RDX or MDX.

So seeing how this is a more active part of the forum my question is this: What do you guys think about the two cars and which should we lean towards? Any suggestions in what to look for in RDX? Any TSBs to be aware of?

We do a lot of camping and I do a lot of shooting, hiking, biking, hunting, ect so I would probably end up driving this car on some small dirt roads or even off road. I plan on test driving both but have driven a gen 1 MDX already and really enjoyed the power of the V6 and comfort of the drive. Ive already received some help in the gen 1 MDX forum and wanted to see what yall had to say. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
If you are going off road, I'd say go with a Jeep or something that's built for that purpose. Howeve, if I had to pick one of the two, I'd go with the MDX for its SH-AWD. Or you can save $10,000 and get thr new Honda Pilot, which has a rebranded SH-AWD system.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by TannerG
Hello everyone! My name is Tanner and im from NC. Currently My wifes boat (2001 Buick LeSabre) is on its way out and we are saving money for an investment to replace her car. Currently I drive a 2013 Honda Accord that we got late last year. We are considering either a RDX or MDX.

So seeing how this is a more active part of the forum my question is this: What do you guys think about the two cars and which should we lean towards? Any suggestions in what to look for in RDX? Any TSBs to be aware of?

We do a lot of camping and I do a lot of shooting, hiking, biking, hunting, ect so I would probably end up driving this car on some small dirt roads or even off road. I plan on test driving both but have driven a gen 1 MDX already and really enjoyed the power of the V6 and comfort of the drive. Ive already received some help in the gen 1 MDX forum and wanted to see what yall had to say. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thephantom
If you are going off road, I'd say go with a Jeep or something that's built for that purpose. Howeve, if I had to pick one of the two, I'd go with the MDX for its SH-AWD. Or you can save $10,000 and get thr new Honda Pilot, which has a rebranded SH-AWD system.

Good luck!
Yeah I like the look of the new pilot and the new ridgeline the issue is that I don't like leasing and wouldn't be able to afford those cars for a good while new. My wifes car wont last until the end of the year unfortunately. Jeeps are notoriously unreliable and require frequent visits to the shop. I am not going "off road" more like "rough road" lol and the MDX I drove handled my frequent camping spot like a champ. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Yeah I like the look of the new pilot and the new ridgeline the issue is that I don't like leasing and wouldn't be able to afford those cars for a good while new. My wifes car wont last until the end of the year unfortunately. Jeeps are notoriously unreliable and require frequent visits to the shop. I am not going "off road" more like "rough road" lol and the MDX I drove handled my frequent camping spot like a champ. Thanks for the recommendations.
Haha I think we both secretly know you want the mdx. The rdx has more ground clearance, but the sh-awd system in the mdx is MUCH more capable in conditions where there may be mud. But in all honesty, both should he fine.

I recommend the mdx more for the hobbies you like doing vs the rough road driving. You seem like someone who would need/like more space.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDX10
Haha I think we both secretly know you want the mdx. The rdx has more ground clearance, but the sh-awd system in the mdx is MUCH more capable in conditions where there may be mud. But in all honesty, both should he fine.

I recommend the mdx more for the hobbies you like doing vs the rough road driving. You seem like someone who would need/like more space.
True I would like more space but the nice thing is (whoops) that we don't have kids yet so the entire back of the car could be used for storage theoretically w/ a folding back row. Im really not set on the MDX and actually kind of like the idea of the RDX more. I've had more experience w/ the MDX.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I picked up a '13 RDX about 9 months ago and I like the SUV. Got it awd with tech package. We had about 2ft of snow here two weeks ago, and I didn't have any issue getting around. According to the forum, the awd is not as good as the SH-AWD systems on other Acuras, but I have yet to have a problem. I liked the better gas mileage and overall smaller size when compared to the MDX. The RDX is a comfortable ride and so far I am enjoying it. I would say go MDX if you need the extra space and need a better awd system for your adventures. If not, RDX will probably satisfy you. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JMS71585
I picked up a '13 RDX about 9 months ago and I like the SUV. Got it awd with tech package. We had about 2ft of snow here two weeks ago, and I didn't have any issue getting around. According to the forum, the awd is not as good as the SH-AWD systems on other Acuras, but I have yet to have a problem. I liked the better gas mileage and overall smaller size when compared to the MDX. The RDX is a comfortable ride and so far I am enjoying it. I would say go MDX if you need the extra space and need a better awd system for your adventures. If not, RDX will probably satisfy you. Good luck.
Thanks for the input. 2013 is the year im looking at for used. Have you had any technical issues w/ it?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

True I would like more space but the nice thing is (whoops) that we don't have kids yet so the entire back of the car could be used for storage theoretically w/ a folding back row. Im really not set on the MDX and actually kind of like the idea of the RDX more. I've had more experience w/ the MDX.
Key word being "yet". If you plan on keeping the car for a while, you would be surprised about space needs. Kids require strollers, baby bags, car seats...etc. The 2013+ rdx is very roomy inside in terms of seat space, but overall the mdx is much roomier.

I feel like you want the rdx more, but like the mdx more? Maybe?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDX10
Key word being "yet". If you plan on keeping the car for a while, you would be surprised about space needs. Kids require strollers, baby bags, car seats...etc. The 2013+ rdx is very roomy inside in terms of seat space, but overall the mdx is much roomier.

I feel like you want the rdx more, but like the mdx more? Maybe?
Lol im on the fence a/b both. Either car would suit my needs I just wanted to see if there were some opinions out there from ppl who have driven both or feel strongly about which one is a better vehicle. There are obviously pros and cons to both.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:12 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Honestly the RDX is a nice vehicle if you are planning on buying that. With the 2014 AWD tech model I have, I never had any problems. But I would not take it for serious off roading if that's what interests you. It's perfect for mild dirt roads. With 2015 winter and last week's snow, my RDX handled like a champ.
RDX is perfect if you have one kid. If more than one I would slant towards MDX.
Since you mentioned that you already had MDX in the past, you may be more familiar with its ride and handling. The RDX rides a bit tighter and firmer than MDX which has a more compliant and smoother ride. The MDX probably has better quality since it's obviously priced higher, is quieter, has more seats/ space and has SHAWD. They both should be similar in other mechanical and reliability aspects.
The question is not which is the better vehicle. The question is which is the better vehicle for YOU. Only you can answer that after driving both cars. Good luck.

Last edited by Comfy; 02-04-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
For off roading, do you ever consider Subaru Outback?
Old 02-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Comfy
Honestly the RDX is a nice vehicle if you are planning on buying that. With the 2014 AWD tech model I have, I never had any problems. But I would not take it for serious off roading if that's what interests you. It's perfect for mild dirt roads. With 2015 winter and last week's snow, my RDX handled like a champ.
RDX is perfect if you have one kid. If more than one I would slant towards MDX.
Since you mentioned that you already had MDX in the past, you may be more familiar with its ride and handling. The RDX rides a bit tighter and firmer than MDX which has a more compliant and smoother ride. The MDX probably has better quality since it's obviously priced higher, is quieter, has more seats/ space and has SHAWD. They both should be similar in other mechanical and reliability aspects.
The question is not which is the better vehicle. The question is which is the better vehicle for YOU. Only you can answer that after driving both cars. Good luck.
Yeah I get that and again am considering both. The worst "off road" driving I do is steep gravel roads w/ a lot of wash out but I think both vehicles could handle that pretty easily. Eventually we will probably replace the Accord w/ a mini van (years and years from now) so my car wouldn't be the kid transport. Thanks for the input Ill definitely consider it.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The biggest issue at hand is what do you want/need and how much can you afford. When I bought my 14 RDX I had a chance to get a 13 MDX cheaper, because it was still the old style to what is out there now. The 13 MDX was a bit of a gas pig and did not have things like push button start and keyless entry which for me is a must have. That's why I selected the RDX, which has more up to date technology than the older MDX model not to mention superior gas mileage due to the deactivating cylinders. If you are going for a 14 and older, MDX, I am not sure what year they changed the model over this may be a good choice. MDX's are also a lot more money. They are also too big for me. The RDX is a good size for me. Guess you need to weigh all options.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
The biggest issue at hand is what do you want/need and how much can you afford. When I bought my 14 RDX I had a chance to get a 13 MDX cheaper, because it was still the old style to what is out there now. The 13 MDX was a bit of a gas pig and did not have things like push button start and keyless entry which for me is a must have. That's why I selected the RDX, which has more up to date technology than the older MDX model not to mention superior gas mileage due to the deactivating cylinders. If you are going for a 14 and older, MDX, I am not sure what year they changed the model over this may be a good choice. MDX's are also a lot more money. They are also too big for me. The RDX is a good size for me. Guess you need to weigh all options.
Yeah I agree w/ you on that but I do like the idea of having the MDX to grow into. The 2014 I believe is the third generation. This purchase will be in about 6 months probably so by then the 14s could be dropped in price but due to the price Ive seen the 10s-13s MDX price are comparable to the 14-15 RDX.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sorry but a car is not an investment .

Jk To answer your questions , I would go with the MDX because of SH-AWD , more room . If you don't need to much room then the RDX would be fine for you.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
We have the 2015 rdx and 2014 mdx.

The mdx is the better car in everyway. Long trips? Mdx. Around town? Rdx. Fuel economy is about the same but our mdx gets better mpg on long drives.

Based on your mentioned activities, you'll get more use with mdx.
The following users liked this post:
TannerG (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Intermediate

Thank you all for the help. Still have a long time until I make a decision. Looked at jeeps yesterday as well and then looked at their reviews...yikes...
Old 02-05-2016, 09:38 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

The MDX sure is a better quality car, but the only negative I see with that is, when you are driving alone you don't want to feel like, why am I driving this minivan / taxi around if I don't need all those seats / space .
Now after we had our second child, I was having second thoughts, but I love the RDX and don't want to let it go (probably won't) .
Yes, you can quickly get adjusted to more space and better ride.
You have more time to look around so try both several times may be from friends or family. You probably won't get it from a rental company anyway .
In terms of overall ambience, dollar value, quality, reliability and features, it's hard to beat the Acura. When I started my car search Acura was low on my list and it kept creeping up on the list every time I took a test drive with other vehicles. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Comfy; 02-05-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

The MDX sure is a better quality car, but the only negative I see with that is, when you are driving alone you don't want to feel like, why am I driving this minivan / taxi around if I don't need all those seats / space .
Now after we had our second child, I'm having second thoughts.
You have more time to look around so try both several times may be from friends or family. You probably won't get it from a rental company anyway .
In terms of overall ambience, dollar value, quality, reliability and features, it's hard to beat the Acura. When I started my car search Acura was low on my list and it kept creeping up on the list every time I took a test drive with other vehicles. Good luck with your search.
Yeah I agree I've always liked Acura and have always considered them a "sporty" luxury brand and really liked that they were related to Honda (probably my favorite car company). Im not crazy about the direction they are headed in now though they seem to be appealing to an older buyer w/ less spirit... Might eventually go to infiniti I love their G37 but that would be a good while from now.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the input. 2013 is the year im looking at for used. Have you had any technical issues w/ it?
I haven't had any issues with mine. I chose one that had a clean history. Picked one up with just about 30k miles. I've put about 8k miles on it with just regular maintenance. So far so good.
TannerG (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Now after we had our second child, I was having second thoughts, but I love the RDX and don't want to let it go (probably won't) .

That's true. The MDX is my daily driver and the first few days I drove it to work, it felt really big. But I am used to it now. It is quite nimble for its size. And I really like how quiet it is to drive it. But sometimes I do wish I have a smaller car to drive everyday to work.

I have 2 kids too and we're fine with the RDX driving short trips. I have my mom with us plus 2 kids in car seats and we all fit in the RDX just fine. But we're not on the big side though.

The only thing I don't like about our RDX is the front passenger seat's adjustment is not that good. You cannot adjust the height. But that's about it.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimihaha
That's true. The MDX is my daily driver and the first few days I drove it to work, it felt really big. But I am used to it now. It is quite nimble for its size. And I really like how quiet it is to drive it. But sometimes I do wish I have a smaller car to drive everyday to work.

I have 2 kids too and we're fine with the RDX driving short trips. I have my mom with us plus 2 kids in car seats and we all fit in the RDX just fine. But we're not on the big side though.

The only thing I don't like about our RDX is the front passenger seat's adjustment is not that good. You cannot adjust the height. But that's about it.
Yeah Im 6'3" and wife is 5'11" so size is important to us. Im starting to lean towards the MDX for that reason plus the V6 and AWD
Old 02-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Yeah Im 6'3" and wife is 5'11" so size is important to us. Im starting to lean towards the MDX for that reason plus the V6 and AWD
I'm 5'6" and I don't feel quite comfortable sitting in the front passenger seat of our RDX, due to low seat height. The seats are well cushioned and comfortable though. I believe the 2016 RDX made the front passenger seat height adjustable but you might still want to sit in it and if you guys are ok with it. Back seats are roomy though.

That's the reason why we use our MDX for long trips.

Driving both, the RDX appears to have more pep in acceleration, probably due to lighter weight. It is also really good in highway passing. Same with the MDX, but the MDX is more stable probably due to the SHAWD.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimihaha
I'm 5'6" and I don't feel quite comfortable sitting in the front passenger seat of our RDX, due to low seat height. The seats are well cushioned and comfortable though. I believe the 2016 RDX made the front passenger seat height adjustable but you might still want to sit in it and if you guys are ok with it. Back seats are roomy though.

That's the reason why we use our MDX for long trips.

Driving both, the RDX appears to have more pep in acceleration, probably due to lighter weight. It is also really good in highway passing. Same with the MDX, but the MDX is more stable probably due to the SHAWD.
Yeah when I drove the MDX I was impressed w/ its power... although to be honest all of my cars have been 4cyl thus far so probably not too difficult.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:25 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I think both the RDX and MDX use the same Honda V6 engine (may be different tuning) and therefore have ample smooth power. That's one of the best redeeming features of the car I liked after coming from 4 banger sedans. Much of the competition simply doesn't offer V6 engine and therefore miss the mark.
I think the passenger seat height issue is blown out of proportion. Mostly shorter people have complained that seat is too low. For a tall person the seat height shouldn't be an issue at all and it might be an advantage...isn't it ? We were initially very concerned about it before buying, but after test driving and owning we never felt anything wrong with it (and my wife is vertically challenged too ).
MDX will clearly have an edge on long highway trips. But hey, you are debating between the two best selling premium SUVs in the USA, and that too Acuras, can't go wrong much either way.

Last edited by Comfy; 02-05-2016 at 11:35 PM.
TannerG (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Intermediate

I think both the RDX and MDX use the same Honda V6 engine (may be different tuning) and therefore have ample smooth power. That's one of the best redeeming features of the car I liked after coming from 4 banger sedans. Much of the competition simply doesn't offer V6 engine and therefore miss the mark.
I think the passenger seat height issue is blown out of proportion. Mostly shorter people have complained that seat is too low. For a tall person the seat height shouldn't be an issue at all and it might be an advantage...isn't it ? We were initially very concerned about it before buying, but after test driving and owning we never felt anything wrong with it (and my wife is vertically challenged too ).
MDX will clearly have an edge on long highway trips. But hey, you are debating between the two best selling premium SUVs in the USA, and that too Acuras, can't go wrong much either way.
Yeah their similarity is what makes the decision so hard lol. Im leaning towards the MDX at the moment but who knows what will happen w/in the next few months.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah their similarity is what makes the decision so hard lol. Im leaning towards the MDX at the moment but who knows what will happen w/in the next few months.

when you are comparing the RDX and MDX, are you comparing a fully loaded RDX with a base MDX to keep the price similar?

or are you planning to go fully loaded for either SUV?

Last edited by jason330i; 02-08-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't buy any used Honda/Acura until they repair the cars for the Airbag recall. Also, from reading the news, there is supposed to be a stop sale order at the dealerships for all vehicles which are part of the recall and haven't been fixed.

Do your research.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jason330i
when you are comparing the RDX and MDX, are you comparing a fully loaded RDX with a base MDX to keep the price similar?

or are you planning to go fully loaded for either SUV?
My price margin is between 20k-25k so what ever I can get w/in that range.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:43 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

My price margin is between 20k-25k so what ever I can get w/in that range.
Not sure if you can get a loaded current gen MDX within that price range unless there is some other catch. My neighbor recently bought a fully loaded (with rear entertainment too) MDX for around $22k, but it was the last year of the previous generation.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

Not sure if you can get a loaded current gen MDX within that price range unless there is some other catch. My neighbor recently bought a fully loaded (with rear entertainment too) MDX for around $22k, but it was the last year of the previous generation.
Yeah im looking at prev generations not necessarily brand new. I can look at new RDX because they are cheaper.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:08 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Have you checked out the previous gen or all new Mazda CX-9? Around the same price as the RDX and size features as the MDX tech.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Have you checked out the previous gen or all new Mazda CX-9? Around the same price as the RDX and size features as the MDX tech.
I have not but will. I've never owned a Mazda and always was weary of them but it seems like they have really made some good stuff recently. Do you have any experience with them?
Old 02-08-2016, 01:05 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I have not but will. I've never owned a Mazda and always was weary of them but it seems like they have really made some good stuff recently. Do you have any experience with them?
Just my daughter owns a 09 Mazda-3 5-door hatch since 2011 and she loves it. Her Mazda has been very reliable since purchase (fluid changes, filters and tires). Saw some YouTube reviews for the all new 2017 CX-9 and it had some very nice features and a very nice high torque 310 lb/ft upgraded turbo engine to go with the new styling. It might have some pros/cons to add to your list if you are thinking about an all new pilot or used MDX.

My sister-in-law has a new Highlander and the seats feel like you are at a bus stop bench. Would not want to take a Highlander on a road trip.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Just my daughter owns a 09 Mazda-3 5-door hatch since 2011 and she loves it. Her Mazda has been very reliable since purchase (fluid changes, filters and tires). Saw some YouTube reviews for the all new 2017 CX-9 and it had some very nice features and a very nice high torque 310 lb/ft upgraded turbo engine to go with the new styling. It might have some pros/cons to add to your list if you are thinking about an all new pilot or used MDX.

My sister-in-law has a new Highlander and the seats feel like you are at a bus stop bench. Would not want to take a Highlander on a road trip.
Lol I can understand that not a huge fan of Toyota. not really looking to buy new b/c im weary of a lease but really do like the look of that 2016 Pilot.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Just a word of caution if you are considering the mainstream brands, which I'm sure are great bang for the buck. Make sure you do extensive test drives and are perfectly fine with the ride in it. I've tried Mazdas in recent past and they seem to make a lot of road noise. They are sporty for sure but the ride was too stiff. It lacks the ambience and simply doesn't feel like a premium car (it doesn't pretend to be either). If you are fine with it, that's great.
I believe the active noise cancellation system in Acuras has something to do with it.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

Just a word of caution if you are considering the mainstream brands, which I'm sure are great bang for the buck. Make sure you do extensive test drives and are perfectly fine with the ride in it. I've tried Mazdas in recent past and they seem to make a lot of road noise. They are sporty for sure but the ride was too stiff. It lacks the ambience and simply doesn't feel like a premium car (it doesn't pretend to be either). If you are fine with it, that's great.
I believe the active noise cancellation system in Acuras has something to do with it.
Yeah I typically do, it took months for me to finally land on my Accord although road noise in the Accord isn't great either. I really liked the thought of having two cars in the same family though (Honda and Acura) which would be another deciding factor in getting a mazda.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

In fairness, acuras have never ever been quiet vehicles and they claim to be sporty. So stating that main stream brands are less quiet and harsher than the rdx is kind of a misnomer. But the rdx is for sure better than a mazda in the premium department.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
What was the year range of the MDX gen previous to the current model?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:44 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
What was the year range of the MDX gen previous to the current model?
I believe the previous gen MDX ran from 2007 to 2013. The 2014+ models are current generation.

Quick Reply: Considering the RDX