AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   Considering purchasing a 2016-2017 RDX. Any major reliability concerns? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/considering-purchasing-2016-2017-rdx-any-major-reliability-concerns-979714/)

JJH 05-21-2019 09:26 PM

Considering purchasing a 2016-2017 RDX. Any major reliability concerns?

We are considering purchasing a 2017 RDX with Advanced package or a 2016 RDX with a Tech package. Are there any major reliability concerns that we should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

justnspace 05-21-2019 09:27 PM

no, it's just like the TL with the same exact engine.
i take that back, rather it's a more boring car than the TL. which means is super reliable.

SandwichViking 05-22-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by JJH (Post 16429269)
We are considering purchasing a 2017 RDX with Advanced package or a 2016 RDX with a Tech package. Are there any major reliability concerns that we should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Purchased a 2017 RDX Advance about one year ago - solid, reliable vehicle.

Coming from BMW, it is nice to drive a vehicle that goes when I need it to, can be repaired by basically anyone with basic Honda knowledge (great for road trips), and doesn't cost a fortune to maintain.

Very solid pick, IMO.

fcostantini 05-22-2019 01:31 PM

Having owner numerous Honda 3.5L V6 based vehicles myself, I say merely to stay on top of the engine and transmission fluid changes, and you should get 200K miles easily. The only major expense will be for the recommended spark plugs and timing belt replacement at ~100K miles (expect about a $800-$1,000 bill).

R. White 05-25-2019 06:34 AM

Reliable RDX

I have owned a '17 Advance for three years since new. It is the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned. The Advance comes with safety features not available in other models. Not sure about the '16. Was that one recalled for the airbag ?

justnspace 05-25-2019 06:36 AM

It he doesn't modify this one, it will be reliable :snicker:

egads 05-26-2019 12:08 AM

Our 16 does not have any airbag recalls. That said, they do keep coming up as time goes on. There are Honda models that have had airbags components replaced that need that again.
+ on the regular trans fluid changes. It is a Honda automatic. They have always required regular fluid changes. That's why there is a drain plug and fill hole.

Steve3777 05-26-2019 01:02 AM

Just piggybacking on the Op. I'm also in the market for a 2017 RDX technology package. I've read stories of shifting issues called shudder or judder. This is a major concern of mine. Just wondering if you guy's can shed some light on the subject.

Himecraig 05-27-2019 09:42 AM

We have a 17' advance and have noticed the transmission problem...and my friend has a '16 tech with the same symptoms.
At 25mph the transmission will seem to hunt for a gear as the variable cylinder management system is doing the same.
The symptoms are impossible the replicate and seems to come and go. The effect are big clunks from the transmission as if searching for the right gear. The service writers will acknowledge the 'problem' then turn and give a big yawn.

We drove a loaner 19' RDX and was not impressed.
We are still most pleased with the 17' value, size and V6...but the technology in our 17' RDX ' is pitiful compared to my 17' Honda civic.
I know not a popular thing to say here but I'll never buy Acura again.
We expected much more innovation from Acura but got so little when compared to a Honda.

snorf 05-27-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Himecraig (Post 16431448)
We have a 17' advance and have noticed the transmission problem...and my friend has a '16 tech with the same symptoms.
At 25mph the transmission will seem to hunt for a gear as the variable cylinder management system is doing the same.
The symptoms are impossible the replicate and seems to come and go. The effect are big clunks from the transmission as if searching for the right gear. The service writers will acknowledge the 'problem' then turn and give a big yawn.

We drove a loaner 19' RDX and was not impressed.
We are still most pleased with the 17' value, size and V6...but the technology in our 17' RDX ' is pitiful compared to my 17' Honda civic.
I know not a popular thing to say here but I'll never buy Acura again.
We expected much more innovation from Acura but got so little when compared to a Honda.

We have a '16 advance and the transmission clunks often. We changed tranny fluid at 30k, but that didn't make a difference. The 6 cyl in our '16 is the old accord 6 cyl (honda stopped putting it in the accord in 2013) instead of the earth dreams 6 cyl. The VCM kicking in/out used to bother us, but has just become a normal thing for us now and it no longer bothers us. We are now noticing random clunking on both sides of the rear of the car. Apparently acura has had problems with rear shock absorbers in the RDX since they started manufacturing the RDX. As it is random, if it doesn't happen at the dealership they won't fix it.

You are totally correct about the technology on the 2nd generation RDX. The civic and accord offered more technology than the RDX. In my eyes, the RDX is pretty much just another "also ran" vehicle. It's okay, but certainly nothing to write home about. We have a friend who just bought a '16 mazda 3. It, too, has technology on it that wasn't even available on the '16 RDX advance. IF you are looking for a vehicle that tells your friends you spent a lot of money to buy something, I'd suggest the RDX is the way to go, but I won't buy another acura. We bought this one because my wife wanted it for her 60th birthday. We won't be buying another.

Jim7707 05-30-2019 04:33 PM

My 2016 with 41k miles now has been rock solid reliable. The only time it has been back to the dealer was to replace the battery under warranty at about 40 months which is actually pretty good when most of that time was in Phoenix. I get the itch to get a new vehicle from time to time but the RDX has been so trouble free and versatile, doing everything I ask of it, that I just can't get rid of it. Plus, it has plenty of power and gets fantastic fuel economy for what it is. I usually get between 27-28 mpg in my very favorable driving conditions. Sure, there is some tech I was it had and I really wish it had a softer ride when I'm on rough roads but overall it has been a great vehicle.

AnnetteFL 06-28-2019 11:09 PM

I have a '17 with 22K miles. I've only had two problems with it: The rear window wash fluid wasn't coming out (clogged jet), and about six months ago, the AC stopped getting cold (compressor had to be replaced). I have intermittently noticed the brakes squealing but of course they couldn't recreate it and it wasn't frequent enough for me to have a fit about it. Other than that, it's been a beautiful car.

Stu's2004TL 07-04-2019 09:29 AM

My wife leased a 17 RDX advance. We have 11 months to go on it. 22K miles. There were a few TSB's that needed attention. It sounded like marbles when we turned the steering wheel. A TSB fixed that. I also have the brake squeak and I am going to see if it falls under the TSB for that when I take it in tomorrow for an oil change. Other than that, just a reliable, average vehicle with horrible infotainment. I drive a 19 MDX. Much more fun to drive and better infotainment. There are also huge incentives on them now. Good luck.

alert 07-05-2019 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Stu's2004TL (Post 16448318)
My wife leased a 17 RDX advance. We have 11 months to go on it. 22K miles. There were a few TSB's that needed attention. It sounded like marbles when we turned the steering wheel. A TSB fixed that. I also have the brake squeak and I am going to see if it falls under the TSB for that when I take it in tomorrow for an oil change. Other than that, just a reliable, average vehicle with horrible infotainment. I drive a 19 MDX. Much more fun to drive and better infotainment. There are also huge incentives on them now. Good luck.

Please let us know what you find out about the brake squeak. Thanks

Comfy 07-05-2019 09:57 AM

I have the 2014 tech model which is the pre- facelifted version of the RDX you are planning to buy. Now I have almost 75000 miles. The only issues I had were minor which includes squeaky rear shock, squeaky brake discs, vibrating mirrors, battery failure within two to three years (all replaced under warranty) and a hazy rear camera after rains (due to moisture getting inside), which unfortunately happened well after warranty expired and had to pay out of pocket. Engine and transmission have been super smooth and rock solid. A lot of issues which have been complained about including VCM and judders are simply overblown in my opinion. Even after owning it for five years I still love driving it. Will give you another update in five years from now. :D.

Last Acura 12-19-2019 03:12 PM

That is alot of money for a 2017 tech with 46k miles. Around here (Northern NJ), you can get an advance with similar mileage. Typically a 17 tech with 30-40k miles is asking $25k. Without much haggling, I think you can get it down to 23k given how plentiful they are and I see many of them sitting on the lot for 40+ days.

This Tuesday, I bought a 2017 Tech with 57k miles (with optional accessories like LED fog lights, guard rails, floor mats/cargo tray, mud flaps and side moldings) for 21.7k. It was at a Honda dealership so it is not CPO, but I don't have any qualms given it is a Honda with a proven V6 engine and Carfax shows the previous owner very diligent on maintenance at dealerships. I am very happy with my purchase.

Sam Farid 12-19-2019 03:46 PM

I have 2018 tech with only 4k miles
It is a lovely car, not as smooth as the Lexus RX 350, but certainly much much better acceleration. This is important factor for me
The old 6 Cyl and 6 speed transmission are well tested with proven reliability. The RDX is not the latest technology, but it is not over engineered like the BMW's. I had 3 of them in the past, BMW are very complex and when anything fails you have to go to the dealer. If you are out of warranty, you are can easily run into 1000's of dollars.

I promised myself to stick with Toyota and Lexus, after great experience with LX 470 , 1998 model which has lasted 18 years without any major problem. But when I tested the Highlander and the RX 350. They were just too slow.
We had a 2013 CRV and now we also have 2016 accord. Excellent experience on both, except fpr the dealers pushing us to chance transmission fluid at 30-36k which is not suggested by Honda.

egads 12-21-2019 12:24 PM

But any Honda forum will suggest you change the transmission fluid at 30k intervals. On a Honda automatic, an normal drain & fill will only replace approx 1/3 of the fluid. On all Hondas that will be done regularly.
Most automatics in other vehicles do not call for changing the fluid, sometimes never. Honda has been shortening the trans fluid change interval from 45k to 30k on several of their vehicles. I have an Odyssey I have been changing the trans fluid on every other oil change for the last 225,000 miles. Having my vintage Odyssey with the original trans is very unusual, so fluid changes do work. Unlike other cars, Honda automatics have a drain plug and refill hole on top of the engine. Changing the fluid is easier than changing the oil. Only use real Honda fluid or one of maybe two alternatives.

Back when I was having dealer service on my now quite old Odyssey, I could have my oil and trans fluid changed for the same price as one of their "services". They would not rotate the tires, but that was done at the tire store for free anyway. Even when I did not pay for the "service" they would still check my brake pad thickness, just because they might be able to sell me a brake job.