comparison 4Runner - RDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 07:37 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
comparison 4Runner - RDX

Traded my tundra for a new 4Runner, My wife's 17 RDX is definitely nicer inside but the the 4Runner has more room inside and the utilitarian interior is better for hauling the dog around.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
If you need 4WD, then there is NO comparison, period. The 4Runner will happily go places the RDX cannot, and come back begging for more. Add to that the insane resale values and rock solid reliability.

I've been a Toyota 4x4 guy since 1986, now taking a brief hiatus, but the 4Runner is my top choice for my next vehicle.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
My wife has a 2010 4Runner and the truck has been nothing short of awesome. Absolutely no problems with the truck with 150,000 miles. Change oil, buy new tires. The transmission and differential fluid are lifetime (I actually asked them to replace.....they said no need....I asked if the transmission was guaranteed for lifetime. they said no, but the service savings alone would pay for a new transmission if we needed one). I really don't understand why Acura insists on 30k transmission and rear differential fluid changes. And they are NOT cheap.
The few things that I do not like about the 4Runner is that it drives like a truck and is not very relaxing to drive on a long road trip. Mileage also is pretty bad, and I think that the brakes are underpowered for the vehicle. With good tires it will go anywhere, and if you want a super reliable vehicle then the 4Runner is tough to beat!
Old 01-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
If you need 4WD, then there is NO comparison, period. The 4Runner will happily go places the RDX cannot, and come back begging for more. Add to that the insane resale values and rock solid reliability.

I've been a Toyota 4x4 guy since 1986, now taking a brief hiatus, but the 4Runner is my top choice for my next vehicle.
Truly the 4Runner has the strongest resale value of any vehicle I have ever seen. Period. It’s insanely good.

Originally Posted by quantum7
My wife has a 2010 4Runner and the truck has been nothing short of awesome. Absolutely no problems with the truck with 150,000 miles. Change oil, buy new tires. The transmission and differential fluid are lifetime (I actually asked them to replace.....they said no need....I asked if the transmission was guaranteed for lifetime. they said no, but the service savings alone would pay for a new transmission if we needed one). I really don't understand why Acura insists on 30k transmission and rear differential fluid changes. And they are NOT cheap.
The few things that I do not like about the 4Runner is that it drives like a truck and is not very relaxing to drive on a long road trip. Mileage also is pretty bad, and I think that the brakes are underpowered for the vehicle. With good tires it will go anywhere, and if you want a super reliable vehicle then the 4Runner is tough to beat!
There is no such thing as lifetime fluid for anything. I know you might not have had any issues yet (and hopefully may never) but I never take lifetime fluids seriously. Besides the cost of a transmission fluid change can’t be more than a couple hundred and a new transmission and installation has to be in the thousands so it’s not a fair tradeoff. I agree that 30k mile intervals is a little high, but then again Honda hasn’t had the best of luck with transmissions.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:27 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
This is a apples to oranges comparison.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acura604
Old 01-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
There is no such thing as lifetime fluid for anything. I know you might not have had any issues yet (and hopefully may never) but I never take lifetime fluids seriously. Besides the cost of a transmission fluid change can’t be more than a couple hundred and a new transmission and installation has to be in the thousands so it’s not a fair tradeoff. I agree that 30k mile intervals is a little high, but then again Honda hasn’t had the best of luck with transmissions.
I was very surprised. I do not maintain my wife's truck as I do my car. She takes it to the dealer and I am continuously shocked that they do not try to upsell service. They actually do only what is in the service manual and don't try the BS service that my Acura dealer is constantly selling. By the time that I noticed (at 120k that she never had any transmission fluid or RD service done, it was too late....did not want to start then.

But honestly, the Acura service schedule is crazy....like 30k and a few hundred bucks per shot. Way too early and way too much. As I said, I do my own service on my TL so the cost is virtually nothing, but Acura is either building service for their dealerships or doing a CYA against yet another transmission problem...I speak from experience with two failed Acura transmissions. I really do not like how cars are now rarely have transmission fluid dipsticks and make fluid maintenance much more difficult for DYI.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

I was very surprised. I do not maintain my wife's truck as I do my car. She takes it to the dealer and I am continuously shocked that they do not try to upsell service. They actually do only what is in the service manual and don't try the BS service that my Acura dealer is constantly selling. By the time that I noticed (at 120k that she never had any transmission fluid or RD service done, it was too late....did not want to start then.

But honestly, the Acura service schedule is crazy....like 30k and a few hundred bucks per shot. Way too early and way too much. As I said, I do my own service on my TL so the cost is virtually nothing, but Acura is either building service for their dealerships or doing a CYA against yet another transmission problem...I speak from experience with two failed Acura transmissions. I really do not like how cars are now rarely have transmission fluid dipsticks and make fluid maintenance much more difficult for DYI.
It's always awesome when you can trust the dealership like that. My Acura dealer had ok service but I was always being told this and that needed to be changed when I knew it wasn't true. I mean I guess all dealerships do this but I expect more from a "luxury" dealership personally. May have to do with the idea that the "well heeled" crowd don't like getting dirty and are therefore stupid and more likely to say yes to everything.

You are correct that I would not do it at this point either because numerous times I have seen people mess up their transmissions when they do really late tranny fluid changes because debris that was settled for so long gets stirred up and messes things up. In terms of the Acura service schedule I completely agree, every 30K is ridiculous. Most other brands are once at 100k and then every like 50k thereafter. I also agree, the removal of transmission dip sticks is ridiculous and makes what is supposed to be an easy job very difficult.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Acura604
Well said! as if I say Porsche Macan Turbo is much faster than RDX
Old 01-08-2018, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Well said! as if I say Porsche Macan Turbo is much faster than RDX
At least in that case both are compact cross over SUV’s lmao.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Smells like a troll post.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Smells like a troll post.
I don’t personally get that impression but the OP literally never posted anything but a statement.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I have had the same experience with my '11 Tacoma. I went to a local indie Toyota repair shop a couple of times planning to do coolant and brake fluid flushes. Both times they took the truck to the shop and came back a few minutes later saying they had checked both fluids and they were fine. No need to flush and no cost to me. I have the original fluids - other than oil of course - at 6.5yrs and 63k.
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
my fathers 2007 Tacoma has been rock solid for him. It drives like a truck and the V6 feel anemic but you cant beat the reliability. I think he has 80k on it so far. Our family usually takes cars past 200k so he bought it with the intention of being the last vehicle he would buy for himself.