Color Multi-Information Display (MID)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Color Multi-Information Display (MID)

It looks like the Color MID was excluded from the AWD Tech models. Seems to dress up a pretty bland instrument cluster a little. Is it true that you need to go with the AW nannies to get this feature?
Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by cudfoo
It looks like the Color MID was excluded from the AWD Tech models. Seems to dress up a pretty bland instrument cluster a little. Is it true that you need to go with the AW nannies to get this feature?
Although the germans usually charge extra for a color MID, I really think it should have been standard on the rdx because acura has much larger profit margins with it. I could also get a full tft in a kia....
Old 10-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
The 2016 RDX has it in full colour. I'm really enjoying the control panels and info display. I have yet to see a better set up in ANY other brand. Acura did a fine job!

Originally Posted by cudfoo
Old 10-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts
It is my observation that the color MID is ONLY in the Advanced trim package. I test drove an RDX Tech and it was the standard LCD (non color) display.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Only on Acura Watch and Advanced. For some stupid reason it was left off the Tech Pkg. Was hoping I was missing something. Guess not - have to spend another $1300 to get it. AW is neat but it looks like it'll just become annoying and another expensive item to repair down the road if I buy out the car.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The AW, AW+Tech and Advance trims have it, I believe. Base and stand-alone Tech do not.

The Adaptive Cruise Control is nice, mainly for two-lane highways (where no one can cut in front of you because the ACC leaves a decent sized space between you and the car in front, even at the shortest setting). For longer hauls down a two-lane road, it's pretty awesome. I no longer have to maintain distance with that annoying car up front that keeps speeding up and slowing down for no apparent reason; I can just sit back and steer. For 4+ lane freeways with more than very light traffic, I find its use rather limited, since the ACC's response to a car cutting in front of you is rather overdone--where a human driver would just step off the gas, the ACC tends to hit the brakes. The only time I'd use this on an interstate is during a road trip through a flyover state or something like that.

Lane Keeping Assist is primarily useful if you find yourself distracted for a very brief duration while on a relatively straight road. It has a limit on how far it will turn the steering wheel and how fast it will do so. It also has a time limit after which it will deactivate temporarily, if the driver keeps his or her hands off the wheel for too long. Pretty handy feature if you find yourself having to, say, mess with the Nav while flying down a freeway. Not an autopilot.

The CMBS would be useful if you could separate the warning alarm and the emergency braking. I don't like my car slamming the brakes on its own when I am perfectly in control and aware of the situation. I had this happen just once and it's very annoying, not to mention dangerous. Alas, it's either all on or all off, and I just leave it deactivated.

Color MID is nice when combined with the navigation system, as it shows the direction of your next turn, the street name, and the remaining distance to the turn. Also shows the sound volume or music track information when either is manipulated, as well as phone call information. Other than that, it functions exactly the same as the regular MID, just looks nicer. Personally, I would say that the integrated Nav directions are what make the CMID worth it; otherwise it looks pretty but is rather useless. Interestingly, Acura.com shows that the Tech Package has a "Color Multi Information Display (MID) with turn-by-turn guidance". Can anyone confirm that the MID in the tech package still has the Nav directions integrated?

...On another note since we're talking about the MID, I wouldn't mind if Acura combined the Range and MPG screens on the MID onto a single page. Even Hyundai does this since their 2013 models.

Last edited by aerospike16; 10-28-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Advanced

Yea only interested in it because it dresses up a rather bland instrument cluster. TSX cluster is a lot nicer - so is the CRV for that matter...
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh right, since you mentioned appearances, there's one more thing: The "Cruise Main" and "Cruise" lights are also integrated into the CMID, so you no longer have a separate light(s) for them on the cluster either. I agree, it is a rather bland looking cluster by itself. With the CMID though, I find the combination between a traditional cluster and newer technology to be rather nice. Just my .02.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by aerospike16
Oh right, since you mentioned appearances, there's one more thing: The "Cruise Main" and "Cruise" lights are also integrated into the CMID, so you no longer have a separate light(s) for them on the cluster either. I agree, it is a rather bland looking cluster by itself. With the CMID though, I find the combination between a traditional cluster and newer technology to be rather nice. Just my .02.
I like the bland look. There's nothing on the 2016 RDX that screams "LOOK AT ME!" Well, maybe the BRAKE warning light that automatically blinks.

CRV's tiny techometer and HUGE speedometer for reference: