Clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by rosen39
Hi Hand-Filer. I went on the Monroe web site and downloaded the following:
http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloa...engthSheet.pdf
Is this what you used to determine a close replacement for the RDX rear shock? Do you still have the "stock" unit to confirm these measurements? If the Odessy unit is the one to use, you may have solved the problems of alot of people. I had both of mine replaced, and it still makes noise over large bumps.
The oem unit is about 1 1/2'' shorter. You will need to remove the boot assembly from the oem shock and transfer it to the new shock. You will also need to order the Odyssey shock install hardware kit and use certain parts from the kit.
And when all is said and done you will have a car that doesn't make any suspension noises but will have less carrying capacity because the shock has different (weaker) dampening characteristics.
I've had mine bottom out (softly) on 2 occasions after hitting a major dip in the road.
I would hold out for the Acura fix which will be out at some point. It was originally slated for late April early May. The last request for an update from Acura resulted in a ''who gave you that information" response! The long story short of it is that a fix is underway but they will no longer commit to a release date. My source is the service manager at Acura who has 2 other customers breathing down his back on a regular basis.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Day 125 (as the owner of a new 2013 RDX):

It's been a while since I have provided an update. Here my news:

- No news, no updates, no reply at all from Acura on my previous calls and complaints.
- Thumping has DEFINITELY improved GREATLY now that the warm weather is here.

My thoughts:

- I bought the RDX in January, and it remained cold here in Mass for many months this spring. Even the early spring, with temps in the 50s, the thumping noise only abated slightly. It took weeks more, until we saw temps well into the 80's, before I noticed a great improvement in the noise. It is now hard to notice at all.
- Honda USA is based in Torrence, and they cannot diagnose the problem or reproduce the problem there. It simply never gets cold enough.
- It would seem that the problem must have something to do with the viscosity of the damping fluid in the strut. It must be sensitive to low temperatures. Much like you put 5W-30 in your snow blower so that the oil flows smoothly at low temps, and SAE 30 in your lawn mower, because temps are warmer. If the fluid is now running thinner in the strut, and the strut is softer as a result, the thump is gone.
- The question for me now is: what will happen when it gets cold again? Will the strut revert back to it's thumping noise? Or will the fluid have broken down enough to allow the strut to remain quiet? Oil does break down with age and use, right? Struts and shocks do get soft and bouncy with age. Next winter I will have 20k miles on the car. This is not enough to notice a loss of strut damping effectiveness in a vehicle, but it might be enough to have "broken in" these noisy struts.

Come on Honda USA - Get a fix!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ovation
Day 125 (as the owner of a new 2013 RDX):

It's been a while since I have provided an update. Here my news:

- No news, no updates, no reply at all from Acura on my previous calls and complaints.
- Thumping has DEFINITELY improved GREATLY now that the warm weather is here.

My thoughts:

- I bought the RDX in January, and it remained cold here in Mass for many months this spring. Even the early spring, with temps in the 50s, the thumping noise only abated slightly. It took weeks more, until we saw temps well into the 80's, before I noticed a great improvement in the noise. It is now hard to notice at all.
- Honda USA is based in Torrence, and they cannot diagnose the problem or reproduce the problem there. It simply never gets cold enough.
- It would seem that the problem must have something to do with the viscosity of the damping fluid in the strut. It must be sensitive to low temperatures. Much like you put 5W-30 in your snow blower so that the oil flows smoothly at low temps, and SAE 30 in your lawn mower, because temps are warmer. If the fluid is now running thinner in the strut, and the strut is softer as a result, the thump is gone.
- The question for me now is: what will happen when it gets cold again? Will the strut revert back to it's thumping noise? Or will the fluid have broken down enough to allow the strut to remain quiet? Oil does break down with age and use, right? Struts and shocks do get soft and bouncy with age. Next winter I will have 20k miles on the car. This is not enough to notice a loss of strut damping effectiveness in a vehicle, but it might be enough to have "broken in" these noisy struts.

Come on Honda USA - Get a fix!
They definitely get a fail for lack of cold weather testing. WTF were they thinking?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've also noticed the sound has essentially disappeared with the warmer weather
Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Clunking from rear...Fixed !

There is/was an acknowledged problem with the rear shock absorbers, being slightly too short, thereby 'bottoming out' when significant strut travel was required.....
My 2013 RDX had this noise/problem
My Acura dealer told me that new, redesigned shocks ('taller') were now in stock, and would be replaced under warranty....
They were, and voila, no more clunking, and the RDX now rides appreciably smoother, and no more clunking....
If any RDX owners are still hearing this clunking, you should take your vehicle to your Acura dealer, and have them install the new, redesigned rear shocks....
That will solve the problem permanently.....
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
What was the part number on the repair invoice? I had mine replaced last month after 900 miles on the car, and they are a little better, I still get the banging on large bumps. The only difference on the part number was the stock shock ended in the letter "A" and the new part ended in the letter"B".
Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Day 135 (as the owner of a new 2013 RDX):

Funny how we all hear different stories.

I just brought mine in for service, and the service manager checked with the tech line if there was a new "taller" shock. Answer: no. The replacement shock that they installed back on Day 2, in January, is still the current shock. Meaning: there is no fix yet, and there is no "taller" shock.

My service advisor also had a good story. He sad that there had been many RDXs in the shop for shock replacement. (This is a major Acura dealership.) In one case, they went through 7 sets, testing each one on the shop floor, and finding a defect with each one. He described it as an "air bubble". They would test one, fail it, order another, test that one, fail it, etc. Finally on the 7th try they had a good set, installed them, and the owner was happy. But this was all during warmer weather.

All told, it seems that Honda must be struggling with a fix.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Shocks for sure- Just had mine replaced after dealer took it for a 2 minute test drive- 3000 miles since last August and the clunk sarted on the right side in the winter to the left side as it warmed up.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
You know, with the amount of RDX they are selling, when this fix is finally available, its going to cost them so good "chunk of change" to address but hopefully, a lesson they will learn for down the road....Test your shit before it gets implemented and stick to the quality you were known for. I find Acura/Honda seem to start going down the line of poor quality control compared to their stronger days...Hope this is not our North American influence of them.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks like there is a new part number for the shock absorber 52610-TX5-A02

http://estore.honda.com/acura/parts/...n=&b=B++30&dl=

52610-TX4-A02 is the old one.

Last edited by alpha2beta; 07-14-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha2beta
Looks like there is a new part number for the shock shock absorber 52610-TX5-A02

http://estore.honda.com/acura/parts/...n=&b=B++30&dl=

52610-TX4-A02 is the old one.
Wrong!

52610-TX4-A02 Rear Shock fits AWD Tech and Base.
52610-TX5-A02 Rear Shock fits 2WD Tech and Base.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GRDX
Wrong!

52610-TX4-A02 Rear Shock fits AWD Tech and Base.
52610-TX5-A02 Rear Shock fits 2WD Tech and Base.
Woops I looked into it more and you are right it does not say it on the estore site but it does here

http://parts.sonsacura.com/products/...0-TX5-A02.html

http://parts.sonsacura.com/products/...0-TX4-A02.html
Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

I spoke with the service manager today and asked for a status update.
He found out recently that Acura has had a fix for this problem since mid February. They just neglected to inform their dealer network about it.
The shocks as many of us suspected are the root of the problem and have been revised.
Apparently an internal bushing was under sized which lead to scoring of mating parts which cause the shocks to stick/partially seize and or leak.
This was a running update and they didn't bother to revise the part number which is not common practice these days. There is a date stamp however so that is one way of back tracing.
From what I've been told, the first issue shocks are no longer in inventory and more than 900 shocks are currently available in the system.
My unit goes in next Friday for replacements.
The following users liked this post:
Techgirl (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
He found out recently that Acura has had a fix for this problem since mid February. They just neglected to inform their dealer network about it.
The shocks as many of us suspected are the root of the problem and have been revised.
Apparently an internal bushing was under sized which lead to scoring of mating parts which cause the shocks to stick/partially seize and or leak.
This was a running update and they didn't bother to revise the part number which is not common practice these days. There is a date stamp however so that is one way of back tracing.
From what I've been told, the first issue shocks are no longer in inventory and more than 900 shocks are currently available in the system.
Kindly please provide dealer and service manager name. Thank You.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
This is a helpful thread. Mods should sticky this.

Do you guys think they will do a major recall about this issue? Mine is still sitting at 6000kms but I don't mind getting it done right away.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edmua6
This is a helpful thread. Mods should sticky this.

Do you guys think they will do a major recall about this issue? Mine is still sitting at 6000kms but I don't mind getting it done right away.
This isn't applicable for 2014 models. They already have the revised shocks. Are yours making noise?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
^Mine is not making any noise at all so far. Do you just hear it when you go over bumps?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edmua6
^Mine is not making any noise at all so far. Do you just hear it when you go over bumps?
Sunken manholes are what really set off the noise. You'd know it if you had a problem. It also gets worse when the temperature drops.
Enjoy your new RDX.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This isn't applicable for 2014 models. They already have the revised shocks. Are yours making noise?
You could have fooled me. I have a 2014 and if this is AFTER the fix, I'm done with this car.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by techman707
You could have fooled me. I have a 2014 and if this is AFTER the fix, I'm done with this car.
If you're that unhappy just get rid of it. Maybe consider something like a Buick Enclave. Nice and quiet, big and floaty.

I replaced the Michelin Primacy tires with Toyo Versados and that took care of 70% the noise and harshness. The remaining 30% I can live with.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

I had the shocks replaced this morning. The noise is gone.

The following users liked this post:
geocord (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 05:10 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
thanks for your persistent communication with your honda/acura service guy. I'm now willing to try to get mine fixed again since they were deaf to the noise a few months ago. Maybe they can hear now.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
If you're that unhappy just get rid of it. Maybe consider something like a Buick Enclave. Nice and quiet, big and floaty.

I replaced the Michelin Primacy tires with Toyo Versados and that took care of 70% the noise and harshness. The remaining 30% I can live with.
No one should buy an Acura and expect to hear this noise. It is unacceptable in a 'luxury' car. And if Acura can't do better than Buick that is sad for Acura. It has taken Acura far too long to resolve this. Makes me wonder what other issues will come up with 1st year cars that Acura can barely fix after a year (or more).
Old 07-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree that although its perfectly acceptable (in my books) to have issues crop up the first year, it is becoming unacceptable the amount of time they are taking to resolve the issue. I am hoping we get a solution by the late fall (Nov) and if not, I am sending an official complaint to Acura Canada.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
I agree that although its perfectly acceptable (in my books) to have issues crop up the first year, it is becoming unacceptable the amount of time they are taking to resolve the issue. I am hoping we get a solution by the late fall (Nov) and if not, I am sending an official complaint to Acura Canada.
I can almost guarantee they are not going to do anything about this, and state that it's part of the "normal characteristics of the car", as they are doing with the ILX.

Was back today for my ILX regarding the same noises for like the 30th time now. Very very frustrating, but what I do know is that this is the last Acura I'm ever getting.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
I can almost guarantee they are not going to do anything about this, and state that it's part of the "normal characteristics of the car", as they are doing with the ILX.

Was back today for my ILX regarding the same noises for like the 30th time now. Very very frustrating, but what I do know is that this is the last Acura I'm ever getting.
If this is Acura's new take on obvious design/quality issues than I'd agree, this will be my last Acura as well. If I felt confident that Acura would take care of a design problem like this than I'd be more willing to take a chance on a new car, but not with this attitude. For the TLX this means I'd need to wait a full model year to have any confidence in the car. That's not likely to happen. Why can't Acura get their act in gear? Acura, do you even listen to your customers?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

You know, even if they at least provided a corporate update, something that would state that they acknowledge there is a problem and that their engineer are working on a fix and that updates will be provided. I understand things can take time to get fixed, especially if they want to make sure they got it right this time around. It will be hard to test too given its pretty much warm everywhere in NA at the moment. Its when you call Acura customer support and the same BS about this is a design characteristic of the vehicle...come on Acura, cut the BS here. You are dealing with a well educated client based and because you guys are too dumb to run a business, doesn't mean that the people who bought the product are. As others have stated, I have loved Acura in the past but if they keep screwing things up, I will walk too.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Racer

You know, even if they at least provided a corporate update, something that would state that they acknowledge there is a problem and that their engineer are working on a fix and that updates will be provided. I understand things can take time to get fixed, especially if they want to make sure they got it right this time around. It will be hard to test too given its pretty much warm everywhere in NA at the moment. Its when you call Acura customer support and the same BS about this is a design characteristic of the vehicle...come on Acura, cut the BS here. You are dealing with a well educated client based and because you guys are too dumb to run a business, doesn't mean that the people who bought the product are. As others have stated, I have loved Acura in the past but if they keep screwing things up, I will walk too.
Spoke with customer relations today for about the 5th time since I've had the car/problem with my ILX, and this is the last for sure.

The corporate case manager I dealt with today, as well as in the past is a complete B$*#H!. She gave me the same BS since the last time I spoke with her, just wanting to get rid of me. Rude as can be, with a snobby attitude.

Normal driving characteristic of the car, MY ASS ACURA!

Peace out after my lease is up.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Right rear shock replaced yesterday. The quiet is back! Whoo hoo!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Hold that "whoo hoo" until you have had a few months to confirm whether it is gone for good. I hate to be the one sharing the bad news but many people have seen their rear shocks replace only to have the problem come right back. Until they deal with the problem, the rear noise ain't going away for good!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
After having my RDX for about a year, I am completely annoyed every time I drive how poor the rear suspension is. On very small bumps or corners, there is a creaking from the right rear side, and anything greater than a manhole cover gives a clunk from the rear. This is magnified in the winter with a harsh thud on nearly every bump.

The suspension is absolutely horrific. I hope this dealer fix cures this though I remain skeptical if it will.

I am eying up trading for an MDX but honestly not sure if I trust the suspension on another Acura vehicle either.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is precisely why you should never buy the first model year of a re-design. Used to be the Asian manufacturers could be trusted with this but no more. I got burnt on an '04 Maxima which had MANY problems, most of which were ironed out by '06.

Gee...only took them TWO YEARS!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:32 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Spoke with customer relations today for about the 5th time since I've had the car/problem with my ILX, and this is the last for sure.

The corporate case manager I dealt with today, as well as in the past is a complete B$*#H!. She gave me the same BS since the last time I spoke with her, just wanting to get rid of me. Rude as can be, with a snobby attitude.

Normal driving characteristic of the car, MY ASS ACURA!

Peace out after my lease is up.
Acura owes you and every other RDX buyer an apology for both selling the defective shocks in the first place, and then BS'ing their customers about it. What exactly do these employees think they are gaining by treating their buyers like this? This seems to be the new corporate culture at Acura.

Acura doesn't have the integrity to do this. First if they acknowledge the defect now they will make themselves out to be liars to all the customers who they told 'this is completely normal.' Second they would have trouble selling new cars that they acknowledge contain defective parts. They just want to sell cars and the RDX is selling too well to have anything get in their way. They don't care about the relatively small population of consumers that frequent these websites. As informed as we are, we are still just a small minority of potential buyers. The ones they sell that have problems they just tell the owners 'oh that's normal, don't worry about it.' In reality what they are doing is telling these Acura buyers who they should be counting on to be converts to the brand, that Acura cars have loud and clunky suspensions.

Originally Posted by AmberB
Right rear shock replaced yesterday. The quiet is back! Whoo hoo!
Wait til it gets cold before you declare victory.

Originally Posted by BobBass
This is precisely why you should never buy the first model year of a re-design. Used to be the Asian manufacturers could be trusted with this but no more. I got burnt on an '04 Maxima which had MANY problems, most of which were ironed out by '06.

Gee...only took them TWO YEARS!
I'd be okay with buying a first year car if I had faith the manufacturer stood behind the product and would fix 1st year issues. There are always bound to be these issues, no car is perfect out the gate and I understand this. But the way Acura has handled this very simple issue leaves me to believe they cannot be trusted to fix these things. Can you imagine if this was a really serious issue like the Toyota gas pedal thing? Would they tell you 'well its just normal that your car goes fast and can't be stopped.'

The more I come to this realization the more I see that even if the TLX fills the squares I want, I can't buy the car because I can't trust Acura to stand behind it. And I can't wait another year for all the issues to be discovered and fixed. This is a big X in the negative column for Acura. But hey, Acura won't miss me.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Acura owes you and every other RDX buyer an apology for both selling the defective shocks in the first place, and then BS'ing their customers about it. What exactly do these employees think they are gaining by treating their buyers like this? This seems to be the new corporate culture at Acura.

Acura doesn't have the integrity to do this. First if they acknowledge the defect now they will make themselves out to be liars to all the customers who they told 'this is completely normal.' Second they would have trouble selling new cars that they acknowledge contain defective parts. They just want to sell cars and the RDX is selling too well to have anything get in their way. They don't care about the relatively small population of consumers that frequent these websites. As informed as we are, we are still just a small minority of potential buyers. The ones they sell that have problems they just tell the owners 'oh that's normal, don't worry about it.' In reality what they are doing is telling these Acura buyers who they should be counting on to be converts to the brand, that Acura cars have loud and clunky suspensions.

Wait til it gets cold before you declare victory.

I'd be okay with buying a first year car if I had faith the manufacturer stood behind the product and would fix 1st year issues. There are always bound to be these issues, no car is perfect out the gate and I understand this. But the way Acura has handled this very simple issue leaves me to believe they cannot be trusted to fix these things. Can you imagine if this was a really serious issue like the Toyota gas pedal thing? Would they tell you 'well its just normal that your car goes fast and can't be stopped.'

The more I come to this realization the more I see that even if the TLX fills the squares I want, I can't buy the car because I can't trust Acura to stand behind it. And I can't wait another year for all the issues to be discovered and fixed. This is a big X in the negative column for Acura. But hey, Acura won't miss me.
Well said, good points. I tend to agree.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Acura RDX Rear Suspension Noise Fix

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum. Thanks for having such a great area to discuss issues with Acura vehicles.

Last August, I purchased a 2013 Acura RDX with Tech package tricked out with new rims, tinted windows and almost all exterior accessories. I'll post some pictures later. I live in Winnipeg Canada and I'm also having the same problem with the clunking/rattling noise coming from the rear suspension of my RDX. It seems to have gotten worse on my vehicle which is unacceptable to me since I invested a good chunk of money on it. I'm taking my vehicle to the dealer on August 20th to have the wood trim kit installed and have the rear suspension checked out. Do you think they could fix it? Is there anything else I should be telling dealer about the rear suspension or would they know exactly what to fix or do?

Awesome forum by the way...love it.

Take care.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

Hi Guys,

Never mind...I didn't read through the posts closely enough. I'll ask the service tech to replace the rear shock absorbers when I go in on the 20th.

Take care
Old 08-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jemini84
Hi Guys,

Never mind...I didn't read through the posts closely enough. I'll ask the service tech to replace the rear shock absorbers when I go in on the 20th.

Take care
Sent you a PM
h-f
Old 08-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Intermediate

New Revised Rear Wheel Shock Absorbers Installed!

Yeepee!!!!

Took my vehicle into the dealership yesterday and had the new rear wheel shock absorbers and interior wood grain appearance package installed. No more clunking noise from the rear. Yeepee!!!! Vehicle drives super smoothly now. So happy I got this done.

Thanks everyone for creating a forum on this topic. Its unfortunate this happened but I'm glad people spoke up about this. Much appreciated. It will sure help a lot of people with the same problem.

Super stoked!!!!!
Later everyone
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Thumping in right rear of 2014 FWD RDX Tech

Noticed an intermittent thumping from the right rear of my RDX at @1k miles.
Happened when going over bumps at low speeds. Took it in today and the dealer replaced the right rear shock. Did not notice the thump on the way home from the dealer. Previously owned an '09 TL and had absolutely no issues with it. I'll post an update if and when the problem recurs.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Intermediate

I took my 2013 in at 300 miles complaining of this issue. I got the typical "cannot be duplicated" response. I'm glad to know there is now a solution. Taking it in next week. Will post if there are any recurring issues.

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear