Clunking from rear

Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by musty hustla
I wonder if our RDX makes noise. We always have the radio on, so who knows what kinda random noises it makes.
I've made the drive from Austin to Jackson, MS and back without even turning on the radio. If there's a noise in my vehicle, I'll sure know it! My Darling can tell when I'm listening for a random noise...I guess I get that 'look' when I tune in my Spidey Sense.

Interestingly, we had a somewhat similar clunking noise in our '11 Volvo C70. I figured the retracting hard top was the culprit; but, it was happening top up or down. Turned out to be the rear strut mounts and the service advisor said I described the noise perfectly. That's probably the FIRST time I've heard that from the service dept.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any more updates? Has the noise dissipated for those with the replaced struts?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got 20,000 kms on mine now and it seems to be slightly better. Only hear it over really pronounced bumps, railroad tracks etc. Of course, it's -20C now here so maybe they are stiffer due to the cold. Had it at the dealer 2 days ago for an oil change and "B" service and they said it was "normal". I made sure they documented that I have complained about it twice now.
The following users liked this post:
kirbman (12-27-2022)
Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QN52
Any more updates? Has the noise dissipated for those with the replaced struts?
QN52, yes, mine is fine since strut replacement. All I hear now are normal suspension noises.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

I noticed a “clunk” when I went from reverse to drive. This was at very low speed with the radio low and it did twice as I was going to back into a parking space. Will see if it happens again.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TL 07 with 60,000 miles started making a lound noise when right rear tire goes over bumbs, took it to dealer ispected everything looks tight and safe but asked me to go back in Jan. for another visit. I have eliminated any noise from loose parts in trunk or panels.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by its_ikon
I noticed a “clunk” when I went from reverse to drive. This was at very low speed with the radio low and it did twice as I was going to back into a parking space. Will see if it happens again.
That is more than likely drive-line lash.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How did they know to replace the struts? We're they leaking? Or did they just try it to see?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hand-filer
That's what mine was diagnosed with. Both sides in my case. The dealership only had one in stock so they replaced the left side for now. It only sounds half as bad now.
The service manager mentioned that they have replaced a number of them on the RDX's and thinks a recall may come out of this.
Here's an update to the first dealer visit. They have now replaced the right rear shock and the noise still persists.
My next step will be to contact Acura Canada to let them know how disappointed I am with their product.
One ton truck like ride, banging suspension, poor sound isolation and nasty vibrations whenever it goes into VCM mode are unacceptable for me.

When I mentioned to the service adviser that my other vehicle is quieter, rides better and is completely rattle free, he said "that can't be possible, it's a domestic!"
It's not only possible, it's a fact.

And to those that keep bringing up resale value; it doesn't count for much when the vehicle is a turd.

This concludes my for today.

Last edited by hand-filer; 12-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.
xcitin (02-10-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I've about had enough with the banging suspension and have decided to take matters into my own hands.
I ordered a pair of Munroe OESpectrum light truck shocks.
The ones I chose are for a 1998 Honda Odyssey. The length is very close and the upper and lower mounting points are the same configuration as the RDX. The Odyssey is also close to the same weight as the RDX.
If this gets rid of the noise I will have at least isolated the problem and that is the main objective.
I don't anticipate any adverse effects with regard to ride or handling. IMHO it couldn't get any worse than it already is.
Borrowed from the Munroe website:
  • Monroe® OESpectrum® shock absorbers are engineered specifically for foreign nameplate vehicles and feature the latest global original equipment valving technologies. Developed through years of research and on-vehicle testing, Monroe® OESpectrum® units provide an unprecedented level of handling precision and control while filtering out the ride harshness commonly encountered on many foreign nameplate applications. This unique blend of control and comfort is made possible through Tenneco's'Twin Technology™ Active Control System', an exclusive internal damping control technology first developed for leading global vehicle manufacturers. Tenneco's Twin Technology™ consists of its latest Impact Control Valve (ICV), which delivers exceptional control under virtually all driving conditions, and a patented Low Speed Tunability (LST) piston design that isolates impact-related noise, vibration and harshness.
  • All Weather Fluid: Contains special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction.
  • Full Displaced Valving: Tuned specifically for each application, this valving automatically adjusts to road extremes to provide consistency and ride and isolates impact-related noise, vibration and harshness.
It would appear that they take the impact related NVH thing more seriously than does Honda.
I'll provide an update next week and let you all know if I wasted $100 dollars.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
[LIST][*] Tenneco's'Twin Technology™ Active Control System', an exclusive internal damping control technology first developed for leading global vehicle manufacturers. Tenneco's Twin Technology™ consists of its latest Impact Control Valve (ICV), which delivers exceptional control under virtually all driving conditions, and a patented Low Speed Tunability (LST) piston design that isolates impact-related noise, vibration and harshness.
How do you know Munroe isn't the contract for Honda shocks for vehicles built in the USA?

Acura's web page reads similarly when describing the "twin" valve aspect of the shocks...

http://www.acura.com/Features.aspx?m...ension_systems

Amplitude Reactive Dampers feature two piston valves per damper (a.k.a. shock absorber) rather than one. The main valve reacts to help absorb minor road vibration, while the second one is stiffer, reigning in a larger suspension motion for improved stability.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

[quote=AmberB;14242409]How do you know Munroe isn't the contract for Honda shocks for vehicles built in the USA?

Acura's web page reads similarly when describing the "twin" valve aspect of the shocks...

The technology is similar but they source them from KYB USA. I spent some time up close with one of mine. I removed it to get my reference dimensions.

Check the ILX forum. They use the same damper technology and they are having the same issues.

I've had plenty of experience with KYB components. None of it good.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

Hand-filer, what hapened after changing the struts?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kitt1126
Hand-filer, what hapened after changing the struts?
They're on a FedEx truck and should be delivered tomorrow morning. If I have time, I'll install them tomorrow.
I sure hope my theory proves to be correct.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Eureka - No More Noise!

I just got back from a 1/2 hour test drive after installing the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks. The thumping and loose panel sounds are completely gone. The rear suspension is so quiet that all I hear now is the front suspension. I'm amazed and relieved to know it's not something else.

The replacement shocks have considerably less compression dampening and probably less rebound dampening but I can't say for certain as I haven't had enough seat time to verify. The ride is so much better; it feels like I'm driving a different vehicle. The back end seems to be in sync with the front end now no matter how bumpy the road surface is.

It took me two hours to do the swap and it did involve some minor machining to do this. I had to remove the upper spacer/ sleeve and shock boot components and transfer them over to the new shocks. Because these shocks are somewhat longer I chucked the sleeve on a lathe and cut the jounce bumper down 1 1/2''to compensate. The jounce bumper is located inside the sleeve. I suppose you could do this with a sharp knife and accomplish the similar results.

For liability/warranty reasons I am not recommending anyone do this. I do urge that everyone with this problem take their vehicle in and get a proper diagnosis. Also write Honda Customer Relations a letter and complain about this. The more that do it the sooner Honda will take care of it and I'm sure they will.

I mentioned previously that the shocks are manufactured by KYB. That is incorrect, they are manufactured by Sachs in Mexico.

I'll report back again in a few days should anything change but in the meantime I will be looking forward to my drive to work tomorrow.

hf
The following 2 users liked this post by hand-filer:
ErickUa5 (03-24-2014), kfhughes (01-10-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
wow great job. I look forward to more results after the new shocks have been broken in a little bit more after time.
hand-filer (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
wow great job. I look forward to more results after the new shocks have been broken in a little bit more after time.
Shocks are working great and are still noise free. This problem seems to be resonating a lot more with the ILX owners so I have posted more info there than I have here.
Check out this thread for a more detailed account on my findings:
https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/ilx-suspension-noise-869859/#post14258421
Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Shocks are working great and are still noise free. This problem seems to be resonating a lot more with the ILX owners so I have posted more info there than I have here.
Check out this thread for a more detailed account on my findings:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14258421
I see what you did there!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
hand-filer...That is great to hear and I wish I had that ability to be as good with my hands as you are. I am better at cooking and cleaning than dismantling vehicles. Thanks for the useful post and the updated information...Glad to see your RDX is now handling better and is less noisy
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
hand-filer...That is great to hear and I wish I had that ability to be as good with my hands as you are. I am better at cooking and cleaning than dismantling vehicles. Thanks for the useful post and the updated information...Glad to see your RDX is now handling better and is less noisy
Thanks Weather. I'm feeling a little better about my purchase decision now. Still at Honda but hey nothing's perfect. I'm still hoping they'll own up to this and do a recall.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CoachRick
I see what you did there!
Going forward, I'll post all relevant info right here.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (01-16-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Going forward, I'll post all relevant info right here.
That was a pun, not a complaint....check it out, he reformatted to bold type the word resonating.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AmberB
That was a pun, not a complaint....check it out, he reformatted to bold type the word resonating.
D'oh!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
My RDX is 7 mos. old and I have been noticing the "noise" when the rear suspension is activated by a bump in the road. Others here apparently have narrowed this down to the shocks. I had been sick and wasn't able to put time into the issue.

If anyone here as any updates from their Acura dealer and from Acura on what the "true fix" is or what the latest is...please let us all know.
I love my RDX...these things come along....I just want to know more about the issue before I drive 60 miles...one way....to my dealer to get things going in a hurry! Can't be driving back and forth to them...a 120 mile round trip.

I know there are lot's of "sounds" we all hear...and they are not all related to the same issue....but, I'm betting mine are related to the shocks. I do have a mech. background.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB on this issue??

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.

Thanks everyone!
There is no TSB at this time
I'm working with the Acura dealership, the service manager and also opened a file with Acura Canada.
First step is go to your dealer and have them look at the car. If they can't determine what the issue is, contact Acura customer relations and open a file.
Work with your dealer as Acura does not want to acknowledge there is a problem.
The more people that complain about this glaring defect the better.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
My RDX is 7 mos. old and I have been noticing the "noise" when the rear suspension is activated by a bump in the road. Others here apparently have narrowed this down to the shocks. I had been sick and wasn't able to put time into the issue.

If anyone here as any updates from their Acura dealer and from Acura on what the "true fix" is or what the latest is...please let us all know.
I love my RDX...these things come along....I just want to know more about the issue before I drive 60 miles...one way....to my dealer to get things going in a hurry! Can't be driving back and forth to them...a 120 mile round trip.

I know there are lot's of "sounds" we all hear...and they are not all related to the same issue....but, I'm betting mine are related to the shocks. I do have a mech. background.

Thanks everyone!
The sounds in the rear are a characteristic of the vehicle. Go drive a Honday Oddy touring, etc.. they all are a little loud in the rear on bumps. You could buy a Lexus which isn't loud, but also has soft old persons suspension...
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by danmangto
The sounds in the rear are a characteristic of the vehicle. Go drive a Honday Oddy touring, etc.. they all are a little loud in the rear on bumps. You could buy a Lexus which isn't loud, but also has soft old persons suspension...
You sound just like the Acura Canada rep I spoke to. I told her in a polite way that she was full of it.
A brand new vehicle that sounds like parts are about to fall off when you drive over bumps has a design flaw period.
Any other explanation for that is a cop-out on the part of the manufacturer. A car can have a firm suspension without having to sound like it's falling apart.
blueorchid12 (03-10-2014)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Instructor

You sound just like the Acura Canada rep I spoke to. I told her in a polite way that she was full of it.
A brand new vehicle that sounds like parts are about to fall off when you drive over bumps has a design flaw period.
Any other explanation for that is a cop-out on the part of the manufacturer. A car can have a firm suspension without having to sound like it's falling apart.
LOL.. I'm just telling you with my experience with many Honda vehicles over the years, that the thumping and sounds are characteristics. Sorry, they are characteristics in any car with a firm suspension..that I have ever owned.. including my modified GTO, etc. If you don't want that, you get a lexus with a soft ride or a Camry. My wife's current 2011 Oddy touring can have a rough ride like that in the rear at times... but it is still the best handling/most fun to drive minivan, I've driven the competition, Oddy is the best for a minivan.

It's possible your RDX actually has issues..
Old 01-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Hand-Filer...I wonder if its worst in cold climate/conditions? I took the RDX last evening because the roads have been nice and dry given the excessively dry and cold spell we have been having on the East Coast and I did notice it a few times, which was not that apparent when I drove it in the summer/early fall. I am not saying that it is acceptable by any means, but just wondering if that is possible....And you in Winnipeg would be a good candidate to qualify for cold weather Brrrrr
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

LOL.. I'm just telling you with my experience with many Honda vehicles over the years, that the thumping and sounds are characteristics. Sorry, they are characteristics in any car with a firm suspension..that I have ever owned.. including my modified GTO, etc. If you don't want that, you get a lexus with a soft ride or a Camry. My wife's current 2011 Oddy touring can have a rough ride like that in the rear at times... but it is still the best handling/most fun to drive minivan, I've driven the competition, Oddy is the best for a minivan.

It's possible your RDX actually has issues..
Funny then that my Mustang with the Brembo brake and handling package doesn't rattle, squeak, bang, clang or whatever no matter how bad the road. And the noise isolation from external noises is also superior to the RDX.
I guess what I`m saying here is that I don`t buy into your explanation.
Lastly, I no longer have an issue. I replaced the shocks with aftermarket ones and the problem is solved.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
Hand-Filer...I wonder if its worst in cold climate/conditions? I took the RDX last evening because the roads have been nice and dry given the excessively dry and cold spell we have been having on the East Coast and I did notice it a few times, which was not that apparent when I drove it in the summer/early fall. I am not saying that it is acceptable by any means, but just wondering if that is possible....And you in Winnipeg would be a good candidate to qualify for cold weather Brrrrr
It`s possible that the weather has an effect on the severity of the noise. I bought the car in December and the noise was there from the start. This thread was started at the end of November.
We have been in a cold snap for several days now and the new shocks are performing admirably.

Last edited by hand-filer; 01-19-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed the noise in the summer, and now I am noticing it much more often during our winter months. No other Acura I have owned has made this sort of noise.

I wonder what they are going to put in the new MDX and RLX?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I have had a dialogue with the Serv. Director at my Acura dealership...which is 60 miles away...so for now it's a "fact finding mission"...and I'm getting great service since I'm friends with the Gen. Mgr. and told him what was going on and what I needed from the Serv. Dir. The S.D. said there are currently no TSB's on the issue. He did research all warranty work on '13 RDX's at his facility...and....they have replaced one shock on 2 different RDX's.....and that they were both leaking "badly." He wants me to check mine. I will...soon.

Let you know what I/we come up with soon.
I'm also having him investigate any issues with the rear wheel well "felt liners" that I have read about here.

Also, the temp. should not have any affect on "quality shocks/struts." Weather temps are factored in when they design proper ones.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 01-20-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Instructor

Funny then that my Mustang with the Brembo brake and handling package doesn't rattle, squeak, bang, clang or whatever no matter how bad the road. And the noise isolation from external noises is also superior to the RDX.
I guess what I`m saying here is that I don`t buy into your explanation.
Lastly, I no longer have an issue. I replaced the shocks with aftermarket ones and the problem is solved.
Then as I said, your RDX must have an issue. I test drove a few other RDX at my dealership and they seem to have the same driving characteristics as mine.
BTW.. speaking of Mustangs.. I've driven the GT500 Mustang and it has a pretty loud/punishing suspension esp that solid rear axle on any roads with imperfections. For everyday driving the RDX is far more comfortable. I currently have an 05 GTO that is modified.. which is more comfortable/nicer then the Mustang as an everyday driver thanks to the independent rear suspension. but still not as nice as the RDX...

Hopefully they get to hte bottom of your issues and get a fix..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Hopefully they get to hte bottom of your issues and get a fix..
It had an issue. As mentioned in previous posts, I replaced the rear shocks with aftermarket ones and no more noises.
You say it's characteristic, I say the suspension is flawed.
That's about all I'm going to add to this thread unless someone has questions or Honda acknowledges the problem.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Instructor

It had an issue. As mentioned in previous posts, I replaced the rear shocks with aftermarket ones and no more noises.
You say it's characteristic, I say the suspension is flawed.
That's about all I'm going to add to this thread unless someone has questions or Honda acknowledges the problem.
You say the suspension is flawed? Maybe on yours.. I'm glad the aftermarket rear shocks supposedly fixed yours. My suspension is fine and so is the suspension on the other 2013 RDX I test drove.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

You say the suspension is flawed? Maybe on yours.. I'm glad the aftermarket rear shocks supposedly fixed yours. My suspension is fine and so is the suspension on the other 2013 RDX I test drove.
Here is a key thing to think about. Brand new I had no issues. It's after the shocks have been "cycled" a few thousand times that the condition will show up...IF it does show up. So comparing all "new RDX's" would not make too much sense. Sorry...that's using common sense. If the shocks/struts would be "banging" and causing issues when brand new I'd just think that would have been caught during testing or early final production to head out the door. Don't you think?? Even poor quality made parts last a little while.
With some wear is when we can rate how well a product is made.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thanks Weather. I'm feeling a little better about my purchase decision now. Still at Honda but hey nothing's perfect. I'm still hoping they'll own up to this and do a recall.
A "recall" won't happen most likely. An "Active TSB" to check all shocks/struts that are worked on...and then replaced as needed would be what would happen.
To recall would mean there is a serious accident/injury risk...struts falling off....wrecks caused by them, etc.

There are tons of TSB's for similar kind of issues in the "books" of Serv. Dept's. They act on them IF a customer complains...if no complaint you won't hear anything from the dealer or Acura. That happens all the time.
IF Acura gets enough formal complaints by letter or by calling it in to Honda Motor Corp. then MAYBE they might send out letters to "inform" owners of a "possible" issue to be looked at the next time the vehicle is in for service or if you want to bring it in for a special inspection.
hand-filer (01-21-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
We are experiencing very similar noises/problems with the ILX's (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/ilx-suspension-noise-869859/). Most likely culprit is the newly designed multi-stage damper struts/shocks for the 13 RDX/ILX.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
We are experiencing very similar noises/problems with the ILX's (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869859). Most likely culprit is the newly designed multi-stage damper struts/shocks for the 13 RDX/ILX.
One of the stages is fully locked. This stage is activated on sharp bumps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunking from rear