Can't hear phone calls on 2013 with Tech

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't hear phone calls on 2013 with Tech

New 2013 with tech package. When making a call, I can hear the phone ring through the car speakers when using bluetooth but as soon as someone answers the other phone, I can't hear them on the car speakers but I can hear them directly via the phone. iPhone 4.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Hey Jim,

Have you tried raising the volume on the stereo?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye252
New 2013 with tech package. When making a call, I can hear the phone ring through the car speakers when using bluetooth but as soon as someone answers the other phone, I can't hear them on the car speakers but I can hear them directly via the phone. iPhone 4.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
How are you initiating the call? Voice command through steering wheel? Speed dial through console? Holding down the iPhone button for Voice Command? (This last method allows you to the say the contact name from your iPhone contacts without having to program a voice tag into the car. I'm surprised this direct use of the iPhone voice command isn't more common in car systems. My aftermarket Alpine $130 stereo does this and it works flawlessly. Buy I digress...)

We may have had one quirky call in the dozens we've made/received on 2 different iPhone 4s and a blackberry. Works great for us.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Try re-pairing the phone and the car system. You may loose the speed dial entries during the process.
I would even suggest a full phone system reset in your car.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juice13
How are you initiating the call? Voice command through steering wheel? Speed dial through console? Holding down the iPhone button for Voice Command? (This last method allows you to the say the contact name from your iPhone contacts without having to program a voice tag into the car. I'm surprised this direct use of the iPhone voice command isn't more common in car systems. My aftermarket Alpine $130 stereo does this and it works flawlessly. Buy I digress...)

We may have had one quirky call in the dozens we've made/received on 2 different iPhone 4s and a blackberry. Works great for us.
The issue is when holding the iPhone home button down and using my voice command. I can hear the phone ring through the RDX speakers but as soon as someone picks up, their voice can only be heard on the iPhone itself and not through the car speakers. I think that it has to do with a setting on the phone though I'm not entirely sure.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The issue is when holding the iPhone home button down and using my voice command. I can hear the phone ring through the RDX speakers but as soon as someone picks up, their voice can only be heard on the iPhone itself and not through the car speakers. I think that it has to do with a setting on the phone though I'm not entirely sure.
There is an ACURA setting for this called "auto-transfer" that may effect how the car connects to the phone.

I'll try the voice command method again on our RDX. I do remember that this did NOT work with the 2007 TSX we traded in. I thought we tried it in the new RDX and it did successfully connect through the speakers for the input command, the ringing, and the call itself.

After the ringing and connection did you try pressing the speak button on the steering wheel and saying "transfer"? I think this is also a selectable command on the center console after pressing the 'Phone' button.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I think I understand what you want to do. Do you want to use Siri to initiate a voice command phone call AND use the Acura hands free and speakers from the RDX once the connect is made? Siri has about 10X better voice recognitions compared to the Acura system. I can see why you want to use Siri instead of Acura hit or miss voice recognition.

I tried doing this on my 08 RDX tech and got the same results on your 2013 RDX. I think the Bluetooth phone connection only works on one device at a time when talking; Acura hands free OR the iPhone 4S. I'm thinking the Bluetooth module is treating the iPhone like a network device. It is broadcasting to multiple devices it is linked to (why you hear the ringing in the speakers); but, it can only connect to one device once a call link is made. Kinda like the same way an incoming call for an iPhone rings and broadcast to your Bluetooth ear piece; but, you can only answer/connect to one to talk.

I’m thinking which ever Bluetooth device initiates the call (Acura hands free or Siri) is where the default connection will be made, unless you manually transfer between devices.

S.W.A.G.