Buying Acura RDX from a BMW Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 AM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Buying Acura RDX from a BMW Dealership

So i'm in the market for a new ride. I found this beautiful Black on Black 2014 RDX 2WD, 5k miles for a reasonable $29400 in a BMW dealership. I test drove it and i liked it a lot. But i couldn't pull the trigger because of a few uneasy feelings.

First, there was a warning sign in the odometer for a A1. I looked up online and it meant first oil change (A) and tire rotation (1). Which makes sense since the vehicle is around 5k miles. But the sales person was like it maybe this, maybe that. I'm not sure how much an oil change and a tire rotation would cost but they didnt even care to address it before selling it. I know its a BMW dealership, but i dont think i'm wrong in expecting an almost brand new 30000 investment to come without any flaws, even if it was that minor.

Second, even if the car had a lot of manufacturers warranty left, the dealership didnt want to give any kind of in-house warranty. Now this is the first time i'm buying from a dealership and i apologize for my ignorance if that doesn't happen, espc because its a BMW dealership selling an Acura RDX. But the car is used, not certified, and i just wanted to have some peace of mind. The first owner sold it after just 9 months for whatever reason, and i just wanted to be sure that i was covered before making that huge commitment. If i buy it from the BMW dealership without any warranties, can i take it to any authorized Acura dealership to fix issues covered by the manufacturer warranty? The sales person claimed that they do all kinds of inspections before they put out any vehicle (including non BMW models) for sale, but them not even addressing a simple maintenance warning kinda made me uneasy.

My last concern, and this is more of a perk thing, is that they didn't offer any 'free one year oil change' or whatever to include with the new car. I know this is not an authorized Acura dealership and i might be asking for a little too much. But i'm making a big commitment, and giving them my business so i was hoping for a little something in return. Also, do you guys think that i should try to negotiate the price a little, like couple hundreds, or thousands??

Anyways, i think i will stop here for now as I've been rambling non stop. And i do apologize in advance for my ignorance or my wishful thinking's. But i'm really hoping that the good folks of this community can help me out with this dilemma by providing their valuable feedback. Thank you.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The RDX would have the balance of the Acura 4yr/50k mile warranty in effect from the original sale date so you should not be so worried about that. Doesn't matter who is selling it, it's still under warranty. IMHO the dealer should at least do the A1 service prior to your finalizing a purchase. I wouldn't expect a BMW salesman to know much about an Acura RDX! If you still feel uneasy see if you can get an independent inspection of it to make sure it wasn't in an accident or has any other issues.
The following users liked this post:
bigrosouth (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
just like you looked up online; the A1 service is a simple oil change and tire rotation.
have them throw in that service!!

also, i have learned that CPO's arent really all that special.
it goes through a quick check list.
and when i say quick, its very quick.

I also second the Pre-Purchase inspection

Last edited by justnspace; 02-25-2015 at 11:08 AM.
bigrosouth (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 11:30 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Like everyone has said, the A1 isn't anything major (oil change and tire rotation). Costs about $100 - $120 at a dealership.

The BMW dealer certainly doesn't have the filter nor would they normally have the required 0w20 oil so it isn't unusual that they didn't do it. They also probably assume that it requires special tools (like BMW) to reset the service reminder (it doesn't)

One item that I would be concerned about is why somebody traded a perfectly fine RDX after 9 months and only 5k miles. The dealership probably gave him $27k for it and did nothing other than run it through their carwash. A clean CARFAX means little so it will behoove you to get it checked out.

Price wise, it could, or couldn't be a good deal. Is it a base model or is it the tech? With the new models coming out shortly you'll see Acura dealerships willing to deal. In my area, dealerships are offering certified cars for $33k with the tech package, so figure $31-32k after negotiations.
bigrosouth (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
You still have the 4/50,000 basic and 6/70,000 powertrain that starts on original sale date. You can call Acura with the VIN to find out when it started or going to end. You also have until 4yrs and 364 days and be under 50,000 miles to purchase an Acura care extended warranty. Those warranties are good at Acura dealerships only (can't even use at a Honda dealerships). Sounds like you have a 2WD base RDX and an extended warranty wouldn't be used or needed for that model.

I would make the A1 service part of sale of the RDX. This is assuming an Acura dealership is too inconvenient to take it to. It will only be oil/filter change and rotation because I don't think the BMW tech would know what else to check out. My Acura dealership does a mult-point inspection on all services like brake rotor/pads, tire life, any fluid leaks in engine bay of under vehicle, battery, tire pressure, wash, etc... You could take it to Acura to make sure everything is 100%.

Being so close to the 2016 RDX MMC, I would have to take a look a that before pulling the trigger on a 2013.

Last edited by mrgold35; 02-25-2015 at 11:37 AM.
bigrosouth (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 12:03 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bigrosouth
First, there was a warning sign in the odometer for a A1. I looked up online and it meant first oil change (A) and tire rotation (1). Which makes sense since the vehicle is around 5k miles. But the sales person was like it maybe this, maybe that. I'm not sure how much an oil change and a tire rotation would cost but they didnt even care to address it before selling it. I know its a BMW dealership, but i dont think i'm wrong in expecting an almost brand new 30000 investment to come without any flaws, even if it was that minor.
As noted, it just means the RDX is due for A1 service. Service can be done at any Acura/Honda Dealer or taken to any general service center of your choice. Cost depends on where you take it. Dealer may cost more the say taking it to Firestone for the Oil Change and Tire Rotation.

If i buy it from the BMW dealership without any warranties, can i take it to any authorized Acura dealership to fix issues covered by the manufacturer warranty?
Since it is a 2014 RDX with very low miles it should be covered by the remainder of the Acura Warranty. Just take it to your local Acura dealer if anything comes up.

My last concern, and this is more of a perk thing, is that they didn't offer any 'free one year oil change' or whatever to include with the new car. I know this is not an authorized Acura dealership and i might be asking for a little too much. But i'm making a big commitment, and giving them my business so i was hoping for a little something in return. Also, do you guys think that i should try to negotiate the price a little, like couple hundreds, or thousands??
I doubt they will offer much as it is a "used" car. You can certain try but since they won't or can't perform the A1 service, you might be able to negotiate the cost of service into the price.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 02-25-2015 at 12:09 PM.
bigrosouth (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
An oil change!?!?!?

I would walk
Old 02-25-2015, 05:09 PM
7th Gear

Thank you all for your valuable feedback. Very much appreciated. I think i will make an offer to the dealership but take it to a local Acura dealership to have it checked out before making a purchase. The funny thing is that an Acura dealership is only 6 miles away, which also happens to be the place where that RDX was bought from to begin with. Twisted. We'll see. And the RDX is a 2014 2WD Base model. Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Can you confirm that the car is a tech model or non tech please. That should have some effect on the pricing as well. I wouldn't be that much impressed if you have to pay that amount for a base model with 2WD. Especially with an updated model due in a few months.
In case you buy this car without the service done, you can also purchase a 4 year 60,000 miles Acura service plan online for about $1K which will be valid at all Acura dealers. Keep us posted.
bigrosouth (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:00 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Comfy
Can you confirm that the car is a tech model or non tech please. That should have some effect on the pricing as well. I wouldn't be that much impressed if you have to pay that amount for a base model with 2WD. Especially with an updated model due in a few months.
In case you buy this car without the service done, you can also purchase a 4 year 60,000 miles Acura service plan online for about $1K which will be valid at all Acura dealers. Keep us posted.
Hi Comfy, thanks for your input. It was a Base (non tech) 2WD model. I'm saying 'was' because it is no longer available. I do see a few other listings for the same year, trim, price but higher mileage. Going to check them out tomorrow. Will let you guys know if i end up getting one. Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 PM
7th Gear

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update. Got myself a new 2015 RDX BASE, FWD, 0 Miles for 31.5K. M.S.R.P plus the Delivery Charge was $36000 so I think its a good deal. Espc when 2014/2015 models with 15-20K miles were being listed for just a few grands less. Took 4 hrs for me to step in/out of the dealership, but it was worth it because i totally love my RDX. I think the bad weather helped as well. I declined all additional services, offers from the Financing office like Extended Warranty and GAP insurance. The later cost me so much cheaper with my insurance. I'm still thinking about Extended Warranty though. Anyways, thought i'd fill you guys in. Thanks for all your help.
The following 3 users liked this post by bigrosouth:
BeezleTL85 (03-11-2015), Comfy (03-11-2015), justnspace (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 12:45 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Congrats on the new RDX! What color did you get?
Old 03-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
thinking about Extended Warranty though.
No point in going through the dealership on extended warranties. Also no point in doing it right now, unless something changes, warranties can be bought anytime within 4yrs/50k miles. curryacuracare.com is excellent as are other dealers.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:20 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update. Got myself a new 2015 RDX BASE, FWD, 0 Miles for 31.5K. M.S.R.P plus the Delivery Charge was $36000 so I think its a good deal. Espc when 2014/2015 models with 15-20K miles were being listed for just a few grands less. Took 4 hrs for me to step in/out of the dealership, but it was worth it because i totally love my RDX. I think the bad weather helped as well. I declined all additional services, offers from the Financing office like Extended Warranty and GAP insurance. The later cost me so much cheaper with my insurance. I'm still thinking about Extended Warranty though. Anyways, thought i'd fill you guys in. Thanks for all your help.
Awesome... Now that's a great deal we would be happy with. Congratulations on your new car. Welcome to the club. Post some pictures whenever you can. You can think and shop around for extended warranty and service plans (preferably before its first service / 5K miles).
Old 03-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
If you were buying one of the Big 3 German cars, absolutely get the extended warranty. On an Acura, not so much. The extended warranty thing is a huge money-maker for dealerships everywhere. With Honda and Acura products, I say forget it. Maybe set aside the $$ saved in an out-of-the-way mutual fund or some other savings method, for future out-of-warranty repairs, to be called upon if needed, if ever.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
A1 is a piece of cake.. I'd be more concerned where it came from and why it was traded..
Old 03-11-2015, 05:31 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by AXMACD
A1 is a piece of cake.. I'd be more concerned where it came from and why it was traded..
The discussion has progressed since then. The original car has already been bought by someone else. The OP already bought a new RDX. Please skim through the last few posts (#11). Thanks.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
"The sales person claimed that they do all kinds of inspections before they put out any vehicle"

So does every sales person on the planet.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:47 AM
mrgold35

It might be worth the money for an Acura Care Warranty for a 15 base RDX. If you still want one, I would shop out of state on-line because that could save you additional money because of no sales tax compared to buying in-state.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:34 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
It might be worth the money for an Acura Care Warranty for a 15 base RDX. If you still want one, I would shop out of state on-line because that could save you additional money because of no sales tax compared to buying in-state.
While you and dirleton resurrected a very old thread, I do need to correct your comment about sales tax.

Sales tax is paid in the state where the car is registered, not where it is bought. If the state where you register the car routinely charges sales tax on vehicle purchases then you'll pay the piper when you register the car even if you buy the car in a state with no (or a lower) sales tax.

Buying out of state may save you money in other ways though. Some states have capped the fees that dealers can charge as "processing fees" and the adjoining state may have a lower cap, so buying the car "next door" may ultimately save you money - but it won't be with sales tax.

And dirleton is of course correct. Dealers will promise you anything to get you to sign on the dotted line.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Car dealers being what they are reminded me of a great story about a local dealer. Offered here for your amusement:

I traded in my Toyota Land Cruiser for Toyota Avalon. While reviewing the condition of the Land Cruiser, the Walser dealership stated that the exhaust system required attention. Walser said that it might be possible to a repair, but they had a reputation to uphold and wanted to make it right for a potential buyer, so they would replace the exhaust manifold in lieu of attempting to repair. Walser estimated repair costs of $2,500 so they deducted that from the trade-in value. I agreed to it and completed the transaction. Three days later, a neighbor purchased the Land Cruiser from Walser Toyota and when he brought it home, his wife commented that it looked just like the one I had (they didn't know that I traded it in).
Eventually, we connected and realized it was the same Land Cruiser. I immediately asked him if the Walser dealership mentioned anything about the exhaust system or whether they replaced it. I provided him with all of the details and he returned to the Walser Dealership to ask about the exhaust and to inspect the system together. Walser admitted to doing a temporary "tack weld" repair and quickly offered to replace the manifolds completely as they realized they had been caught in the middle of dishonest business transaction. They immediately corrected the issue for the new owner (my neighbor) but they had no intention of doing it and would have gotten away with it had I not alerted my neighbor. It seems to me that I should be refunded the trade-in decrease based upon their unethical behavior and completed the transaction without making the necessary repairs.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:30 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ceb
While you and dirleton resurrected a very old thread, I do need to correct your comment about sales tax.

Sales tax is paid in the state where the car is registered, not where it is bought. If the state where you register the car routinely charges sales tax on vehicle purchases then you'll pay the piper when you register the car even if you buy the car in a state with no (or a lower) sales tax.

Buying out of state may save you money in other ways though. Some states have capped the fees that dealers can charge as "processing fees" and the adjoining state may have a lower cap, so buying the car "next door" may ultimately save you money - but it won't be with sales tax.

And dirleton is of course correct. Dealers will promise you anything to get you to sign on the dotted line.
My mistake for not being clear... I was only referring to purchasing Acura Care Warranty, not the RDX vehicle. If the OP purchases Acura Care warranty from a local dealership; (s)he will have to pay sales tax. I purchase my Acura Care Warranty from AZ avoiding sales tax in NM saving me an additional +$200 on the purchase price. Of course, there are some restrictions and this may not apply in all states like FL. Forgive me....

Last edited by mrgold35; 10-02-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:35 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dirleton
Car dealers being what they are reminded me of a great story about a local dealer. Offered here for your amusement:

I traded in my Toyota Land Cruiser for Toyota Avalon. While reviewing the condition of the Land Cruiser, the Walser dealership stated that the exhaust system required attention. Walser said that it might be possible to a repair, but they had a reputation to uphold and wanted to make it right for a potential buyer, so they would replace the exhaust manifold in lieu of attempting to repair. Walser estimated repair costs of $2,500 so they deducted that from the trade-in value. I agreed to it and completed the transaction. Three days later, a neighbor purchased the Land Cruiser from Walser Toyota and when he brought it home, his wife commented that it looked just like the one I had (they didn't know that I traded it in).
Eventually, we connected and realized it was the same Land Cruiser. I immediately asked him if the Walser dealership mentioned anything about the exhaust system or whether they replaced it. I provided him with all of the details and he returned to the Walser Dealership to ask about the exhaust and to inspect the system together. Walser admitted to doing a temporary "tack weld" repair and quickly offered to replace the manifolds completely as they realized they had been caught in the middle of dishonest business transaction. They immediately corrected the issue for the new owner (my neighbor) but they had no intention of doing it and would have gotten away with it had I not alerted my neighbor. It seems to me that I should be refunded the trade-in decrease based upon their unethical behavior and completed the transaction without making the necessary repairs.
Absolutely. Finding an ethical dealership is next to impossible.

While I was in Europe, I was assigned to a JAG office for a while where we dealt with all sorts of customer complaints. One day in 1994 I got a get a call from a base commander who said that he took his car in for an oil change, checked the oil 10 minutes later and it was dirty. He called the garage and they told him that oil gets dirty looking right away.

Long story short, it was an on-base concession so we sent a few specially prepped cars through and each one either had no repairs done or excessive charges for things not needed.

We went in one night with the blessing of the provost marshal and copied the files on his computers, then went back the next morning with the MPs and the German cops to shut the place down.

We went in asking for copies of files (which we already had) and I just lounged around acting like the dumb American who spoke no German. In reality, Germans think I'm Austrian, while Austrians think I'm German. I overheard the owner telling one of his co-workers to destroy some evidence at another location (guess who got there first?) and to "forget" the safe combination so it couldn't be opened. As he was being escorted out by the German police I told him (in perfect German and in my best regional dialect) that I hoped he had a good lawyer. He didn't because between the theft of government property, ripping off customers, tax evasion and some drug charges (guess what was in the safe along with lots of money?) he still has a couple of years to serve on his 25-30 year sentence. The Germans didn't care about him ripping off GIs or the US government but they didn't like the tax evasion and his drug dealing.

During one of our discussion while he was sitting in "U-Haft" prior to arraignment (IIRC U-Haft can be up to 27 days) I asked him why he didn't do service on the friggin base commander's car and he just said "he is just another customer".
Old 10-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
So i'm in the market for a new ride. I found this beautiful Black on Black 2014 RDX 2WD, 5k miles for a reasonable $29400 in a BMW dealership. I test drove it and i liked it a lot. But i couldn't pull the trigger because of a few uneasy feelings.

Second, even if the car had a lot of manufacturers warranty left, the dealership didnt want to give any kind of in-house warranty. Now this is the first time i'm buying from a dealership and i apologize for my ignorance if that doesn't happen, espc because its a BMW dealership selling an Acura RDX. But the car is used, not certified, and i just wanted to have some peace of mind. The first owner sold it after just 9 months for whatever reason, and i just wanted to be sure that i was covered before making that huge commitment. If i buy it from the BMW dealership without any warranties, can i take it to any authorized Acura dealership to fix issues covered by the manufacturer warranty? The sales person claimed that they do all kinds of inspections before they put out any vehicle (including non BMW models) for sale, but them not even addressing a simple maintenance warning kinda made me uneasy.

Anyways, i think i will stop here for now as I've been rambling non stop. And i do apologize in advance for my ignorance or my wishful thinking's. But i'm really hoping that the good folks of this community can help me out with this dilemma by providing their valuable feedback. Thank you.

Your hesitations on buying a non CPO car pretty much sum up why dealers certify used cars and why some dealers sell CPO cars of the same make as the dealer.

1st. You will have a 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty and power train 6-year/70,000-mile limited warranty. BUT this started in 2013 so that means you have until 2016 or 50k miles whatever comes 1st for the limited warranty (or whenever the car was originally purchased) and for the power train you have until 2018 or 70k miles or whatever comes first. In comparison a CPO the limited warranty goes up 1 year and/or 12k miles and the power train goes up 1 year and/or 30k miles.

But remember CPO are more money since it's inspected thoroughly, little things like an oil change and tire rotation are taken care of (don;t worry that's like $70).

Honestly the BMW defiantly got the car on a trade and the dealer probably doesn't want to put a dime into it or he will just send it to auction. I say take the risk since a similar car CPO is $28k but that is with 20k miles on it and a non CPO FWD 2014 RDX (base I assume) goes for about $25k but thats wiht 35k+miles.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats

You got a decent deal

I got my 2016 RDX Base AWD for $35,500 with destination charge.

I looked at getting a left over 2015 w/ FWD to save money but for $4000 to get AWD and all the new features for $4000 I went with the 2016