Bumper Paint Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Bumper Paint Repair

Ok, the inevitable has happened. Despite me going the extra step to park on the street to avoid the door dings from the parking lot at work, someone with a 14 foot car tried to fit into a 16 foot spot in front of me and did the little tap on my bumber to determine how long his car was .

So I now have a spot on my bumper about 1/4" that the paint has been chipped and the primer and plastic are exposed. I don't know if I should do the simple touchup repair or go the full repair route. I always hate to go the full repair route, because it is never the same. I have done full blended base coat / clear coat repairs by myself before, but never on a new vehicle and never on such a small spot. Obviously if I go the full repair route I would get it professionally done.

Any experts out there with an opinion ( on how to repair, not on what I should have done to avoid it )?

Mike
Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Don't you just hate this type of stuff. Your solution really depends on if you want the repair to be perfect and/or if cost is a major factor. The perfect solution is to have the bumper cover repainted. The covers are not painted with the rest of the car. The supplier sends them already painted and they are often a hair off. Repainting the cover should give you as good a match as the original. There is also a "flex" additive that is used in the paint for the covers. If it was mine, I would have it spotted by the bodyshop used by your dealer. My 98 silver integra was delivered with a large rub mark through the paint on the rear bumper cover. I pitched a fit and they spotted it. It matched perfectly and has maintained the match to this day, even in the Florida sun. That is of course the cheaper option. Either way, have it done by a pro.
The following users liked this post:
mikejmack (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by mikejmack
Ok, the inevitable has happened. Despite me going the extra step to park on the street to avoid the door dings from the parking lot at work, someone with a 14 foot car tried to fit into a 16 foot spot in front of me and did the little tap on my bumber to determine how long his car was .

So I now have a spot on my bumper about 1/4" that the paint has been chipped and the primer and plastic are exposed. I don't know if I should do the simple touchup repair or go the full repair route. I always hate to go the full repair route, because it is never the same. I have done full blended base coat / clear coat repairs by myself before, but never on a new vehicle and never on such a small spot. Obviously if I go the full repair route I would get it professionally done.

Any experts out there with an opinion ( on how to repair, not on what I should have done to avoid it )?

Mike
Well, Mike, I wouldn't say I was an "expert" but, I have dabbled in touch up repair more than once...from knicks to longer scratches using new color and clear coat...trying to blend, color sanding etc.

And, I've been hit in the rear bumper cover on 2 previous cars and what that all entailed.

Hard to say without truly seeing it. But, at 1/4 inch, if it were mine, I'd try and use the basic touch up. And, it has to go in layers. Add some color and wait a few hours. It does shrink. Then add another layer, etc. When you're done and depending on the exact location, and if it just sticks out like a teen's zit, then I would suggest a pro to re-do the cover. It's really the best way of the cover being correct and even. And with this being a brand new RDX...as frustrating as it is....I'd have it done right.

There will be that issue of the color matching the body. I've been through that with pearl colors. Took 4 repaints on a pearl white Toyota I had. Even the Dupont "experts" had to come in and mix the paint. But, that may not happen to you if you find a high quality paint shop with an experienced painter, esp. with pearls.

Let us know what happens...OK??
Take care. And don't let it cause you too much heartburn. In the end, it's only a car, and there are more down the road. I know, I've had 60 now since age 16. There's always another and there are worst things in life to really stress over. After saying that...if it were my pearl white one....I'd be PISSED OFF!! LOL!! Then after a day or two or three, I'd calm down and start looking for the idiot that dared be so stupid and caused my damage!!! Colorado....we are armed and ready here! OK...I'm not violent...BUT...can be if "some idiot puts one knick or scratch on my pearl white NEW RDX!!

OK...I'm just trying to throw in some fun, light humor. Uhh....it is humor right???

Have a great weekend all you fellow '13 RDX owners. Go out and enjoy your new machines. weather.......you can just look at yours in the garage and wax it one more time...admire and adore it like staring at a Playboy centerfold!!! Can't touch....but, you can look all you want!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong..I'm a car guy...love them a lot....but, have learned to mellow a little. I want them pristine at all times, but, depending on where you live, that is just not possible....UNLESS of course, you are like weather....who never takes them out in rain or even worse!! But, not all of us can do that, or maybe even want to. I think I'd rather get hit in my RDX than his Accent...IF I were in an accident.

No dig on you weather!! Live a long and happy life my friend!! LOL!! Uhhhh...truly do live long, happy, and enjoy those cars and the toothbrushed undercarriages!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
mikejmack (07-06-2012), tvgaman (09-28-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Mike - I am not a fan of touch up paint but if you decide to go that way look at the product made by Drcolorchip. I used it on my daughter's gto and was fairly impressed. Not perfect but better than a paint pen or brush. Also, verify your paint code when you order as BRP and BRPII are different numbers. We have BRPII.

Last edited by Dorsey; 07-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys. I assumed that if I took it to the body shop, they'd want to do the whole bumper. Maybe I'll see how much the spot repair at the shop will cost. I'm ALMOST as anal as weather is about how my cars look - but I do take it out in the rain. LOL

The twist is that I am 99% sure that I know who did it and he works for the same compamy as I do. He's been out of the office since the day it happened, so I haven't been able to talk to him about it - but I will be pushing him to pay for it.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
mikejmack...OMG...I am so sorry to hear about that my friend! I'd be so pissed off but you guys already knew this anyway. To your question about whether they will paint the whole bumper or not, the answer is NO. They will likely just sand an area around the damaged area and then prime and paint the area and then shoot the clear. They will likely go a little on either side to do what is called "blending". As Dorsey said, they will add flex additive in the paint to minimize the chance of it cracking and in most region, it would hold pretty good however, here is our difference with Dorsey....we live in Canada and our harsh weather means that our paint will contract and expand alot more than in Florida and when it gets really cold, if someone presses againt it, it will be more prone to crack. Either way, replacing the whole bumper (which is too drastic in my opinion) or repairing at the dealer will involve repainting the bumper cover and will not be as strong as the factory finish. Now what you could do is see if you could touch it up yourself and see how it turns out...maybe the guys at Atlantic would even help you there.

Now, I am in HFX next week for meetings.....if you want, PM me and I can go and check it out and see if I can help you touching up, polishing and buffing. Just a suggestion...

Colorado Guy...No worries about the car teasing! Trust me, I get it from all that knows me and I can take it If I couldn't handle it, I wouldn't be telling you guys on how anal I was *lol*
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
What do folks think about small step bumpers that mount to the hitch -- provides an easier means to get to the top for Zaino applications...and...the step bumper can be sacrificed to save at least the rear bumper. Judicious parking while only exposing the rear also helps. I ordered the hitch for mine (which I just heard will be deliered on Friday the 13th) to do just this. Downside I realize is that the step detracts a bit from the overall look..
Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^ Not sure what this has to do with the thread??
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Well... won't help with the repair...but might help others prevent damage in the first place?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thanks guys. I assumed that if I took it to the body shop, they'd want to do the whole bumper. Maybe I'll see how much the spot repair at the shop will cost. I'm ALMOST as anal as weather is about how my cars look - but I do take it out in the rain. LOL

The twist is that I am 99% sure that I know who did it and he works for the same compamy as I do. He's been out of the office since the day it happened, so I haven't been able to talk to him about it - but I will be pushing him to pay for it.
Well, IF you do know who did it and you confront them and they confess....for sure I'd have it re-done at a body shop. Probably would anyway to make it look right. Car is too new and too expensive to try and "piece meal" the touch up.

Let me re-emphasize.....and this is to weather also......trying to "blend in " pearl paint would not be a great idea. Maybe I'm wrong. But, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from my last pearl painted car...and what it took to just try and match the bumper cover to the body.

When you clear coat you have to go all the way out to the edges...or else you will see a "line" and with pearl it's even worse. Trust me, I tried to "cheat" the process on clear coating and it doesn't work. The experts will tell you...you have to cover all the way out to the edges....in all directions.

I'm just saying that's my experience and what I know from what I learned from paint experts.
Take it or leave it. You are the boss...it's your new RDX.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Well, IF you do know who did it and you confront them and they confess....for sure I'd have it re-done at a body shop. Probably would anyway to make it look right. Car is too new and too expensive to try and "piece meal" the touch up.

Let me re-emphasize.....and this is to weather also......trying to "blend in " pearl paint would not be a great idea. Maybe I'm wrong. But, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from my last pearl painted car...and what it took to just try and match the bumper cover to the body.

When you clear coat you have to go all the way out to the edges...or else you will see a "line" and with pearl it's even worse. Trust me, I tried to "cheat" the process on clear coating and it doesn't work. The experts will tell you...you have to cover all the way out to the edges....in all directions.

I'm just saying that's my experience and what I know from what I learned from paint experts.
Take it or leave it. You are the boss...it's your new RDX.
Thanks Colorodo Guy. I think I will have it done at a body shop. I have done it without going all the way to the edges with no lines, but color blending is tough and I don't feel all that great about wet sanding a new vehicle. Even with 3 grades of paper and 3 different compounds, I am still worried about it losing some of its gloss in the surrounding areas. I'm actually doing a spot on my wifes car right now and I have no problem getting the clear coat to look flawless, but I cannot get a perfect color match. For a 1/2 inch repair, I've already had to go out about 8" and I'm not even close. It takes a lot of nerve to sand perfectly good paint!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Suzuka Master

mikejmack....having it done by the pros will certainly be the best way to proceed. Let us know the cost and how it turned out.

Colorado Guy....I know how the White Pearl is hard to paint/blend *sigh* I pray that no one hits my vehicle. I never leave it parked anywhere unless I can see it at all times and if one A$$ hits it, well, they'll have a bad moment
Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thanks Colorodo Guy. I think I will have it done at a body shop. I have done it without going all the way to the edges with no lines, but color blending is tough and I don't feel all that great about wet sanding a new vehicle. Even with 3 grades of paper and 3 different compounds, I am still worried about it losing some of its gloss in the surrounding areas. I'm actually doing a spot on my wifes car right now and I have no problem getting the clear coat to look flawless, but I cannot get a perfect color match. For a 1/2 inch repair, I've already had to go out about 8" and I'm not even close. It takes a lot of nerve to sand perfectly good paint!
Yeah, good choice. I hope you can get the culprit to pay for it!
I agree...blending is tough. I'm doing better with that and have had some success...but, like you said, it's tough sanding fresh good paint. I'm just having trouble with clear coating. That stuff is pretty heavy....and trying to "blend in" clear in a certain area is not easy, and I think that is why the paint people say to spray it out to the edges. To get clear to blend in at the boundaries of where you are fixing is just not the way to lay it down...and then try to buff it in to the existing clear. I'm far from being the paint pro...but, that is what I picked up from the guys who go around to the dealers to do the bumper touch ups, scratches etc, of the used cars. And from what I've read.

And...weather....remember this is what I wrote about in another thread. I really didn't want this pearl white RDX because of just what you said...and what I've experienced in the past. I know...at some point I will have a "paint issue" to get fixed. Not looking forward to that. I came fairly close to buying the Forged Silver Met.....and I think I would be resting easier if I had it NOW!!!! LOL!!
My wife was OK with it....but, there were none to be found in a fairly short period. So....she got her choice and she's happy. She hasn't driven the Accord Cpe. since we've had the RDX. Uhhhh.....I think she really likes it!!

And the Cpe. is no slouch. It's really nice. But, she loves the RDX. And she really found out it will get up and move. She's been taking pretty easy...not her norm!!!.....and she pushed it taking off from a light. And she was happy!! LOL! She's a hot rodder at heart...like me. But, she likes all the "stuff" that the RDX has to offer.

Hey, it's been rained on!! We've got to drive it...and we will. The Cpe. stays in the garage most of the time. It's still like new.