Break-in period oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Break-in period oil change

I know its quite speculative on whether modern cars have a break-in period, but I, personally, feel a lot better spending time/money on an early oil change than on an expensive repair later.

Has anyone changed their oil after, or even before, the break-in period?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
just follow your MID. acura didn't spend a ton of money and R&D to have the system not work.

but hey it's your car, you can change the oil early if you're that oil even though it's NOT recommended during the break in period. the factory fill has special additives and what not that need to run their course.

my TL has been fine following the MID since new.

so to answer your question. NO not on my TL. and not likely on the MDX since the PO leased the car and followed the MID.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
My mom owns a 08 honda accord That is not driven much. We do not wait for the oil life to get to 15% as it would take over a year. According to the owner's manual it states Follow the mm or change the oil once a year.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
For some of us "old timers" if was hard getting used to not changing oil frequently. After consultations with Honda tech. engineers I finally "gave in." Meaning, Honda does use a special "break in" oil and the new car guidelines need to be followed. Take the oil change/useage MID display down to 15% and then change...UNLESS you have hit the 1 year mark OR you drive in excessively dusty, dirty air conditions. The engine design engineers ran these engines all over the globe to test internal component wear. These new engines have very close tolerances, and thus the new weight of engine oil used now. Follow the manuals guidelines and you won't be doing anything wrong...or hurting your engine. Just the opposite. Trust me....and or trust the Honda Motor Corp. engineers. It's the new "way" and it works. My 5 past and current Honda engines never burned/burn oil and I follow the guidelines.

Note: If you change your oil early...besides dumping out the special break in oil put in at the factory....and the computer is reset.....you are then throwing "off" the computer for the other MID systems that the comuter reminds you of. Many don't think about that.

TLtrigirl....you were right on with this one. Good job.

And, yes, there IS an engine break in period...brakes too. Many issues are brought up here...questions are asked....and if folks would just break out their manual....all three hundred plus pages of it....you will find most all of the answers you are asking about.

Then there's the two hundred plus page Tech. manual. Did you know you can set the brightness of the interior lights when you close the door to suit just how bright you'd like them, as you also set just how long you'd like them to stay on?? LOL!! It goes on and on! How many know how to valet park your RDX? It's in the book!

Later gang.