AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   Brake squeal (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/brake-squeal-980895/)

tinmaner 07-11-2019 07:38 AM

Brake squeal

so i have been getting squealing in brakes and little squealing when taking full turns and has been complaining to Acura dealer since around January of this year .. they simply said its a glaze formed on the brake pads cause i dont drive much .( i know stupid answr)
finally made them take a deeper look at it and here is the response

" The brake squeal he practically heard almost immediately. Once he inspected the brakes, he saw that the front brake shims and backing plates were a too close together and were causing the squeal when driving and when turning. He had to disassemble the front brakes to be able to adjust them and lubricate them properly."

Question - - is there something in there that could have had a damage cause of this ? more wear than normal or something like that ?

Mo_Green 07-11-2019 08:20 AM

At 30k the brakes need to be taken apart and lubricated. My vehicle had the same issue with squealing brakes in a slow turn. Use silicon high temp brake grease on all metal to metal contact points. A small smear on the brake back plates as well. Finally a small squeeze into each pin boot too.

Consider this a normal mainentance item.

tinmaner 07-11-2019 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mo_Green (Post 16451639)
At 30k the brakes need to be taken apart and lubricated. My vehicle had the same issue with squealing brakes in a slow turn. Use silicon high temp brake grease on all metal to metal contact points. A small smear on the brake back plates as well. Finally a small squeeze into each pin boot too.

Consider this a normal mainentance item.

30K ? my vehicle is a year old with 3k miles on it :(

Mo_Green 07-11-2019 10:39 AM

Quality is way for today's vehicles. Engines are the most reliable they have ever been. But for the rest of today's vehicles. No way.

tinmaner 07-11-2019 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mo_Green (Post 16451762)
Quality is way for today's vehicles. Engines are the most reliable they have ever been. But for the rest of today's vehicles. No way.

Exactly how i feel about Acura .. Engine is the only thing that is way more quality than competitors .. and with v6 .. its getting hard to keep it under 40 mph on local roads :) rest of the car they employed bad cost saving tactics and no attention to detail at all '

Base2014RDX 07-14-2019 12:34 AM

ost likely the dealer replaced the retainer clips (the guy in the video calls it "shim") or just re-lubed and re-seated the old clips.

Most likely there was no damage to begin with.

Base2014RDX 07-14-2019 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by tinmaner (Post 16451847)
Exactly how i feel about Acura .. Engine is the only thing that is way more quality than competitors .. and with v6 .. its getting hard to keep it under 40 mph on local roads :) rest of the car they employed bad cost saving tactics and no attention to detail at all '

Not better engine quality, just more conservative (thus proven) designs. We are talking about timing belt, lack of direct injection, and valve adjustment at 100,000. The RDX was ridiculously behind in tech.

acuratech481 07-14-2019 10:08 AM

This is a known issue on these vehicles due to a manufacturing defect. If you're still getting the squeal take it back. There's updated brake pads and rotors depending on the date and casting numbers on the front rotors. The updated front pads have a longer chamfer on the bottom side of the inner brake pad.

Comfy 07-19-2019 09:37 AM

My RDX has also started a break squeal now especially on cold starts in the morning. I had the discs and pads replaced a few years ago under warranty for the same issue. The noise doesn’t bother me much but that video posted above is making me concerned.

comanche250 07-21-2019 04:13 PM

I just posted the same issue in another area on this forum. Squealing from left front wheel when turning left (18 rdx 23k miles) Loud enough people look at you. Dealer said every thong looked fine.. A week later swelling again just as loud. What do you suggest I dealer what they need to do?

acuratech481 07-21-2019 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by comanche250 (Post 16456991)
I just posted the same issue in another area on this forum. Squealing from left front wheel when turning left (18 rdx 23k miles) Loud enough people look at you. Dealer said every thong looked fine.. A week later swelling again just as loud. What do you suggest I dealer what they need to do?

While turning makes me think it's the shifting of the brake caliper bracket hardware. The piece that the brake pads sit in touches the rotor. Another common issue...

acuratech481 07-21-2019 04:23 PM

Or the rotor backing plate is scraping against the rotor. This is easily overlooked sometimes as it isn't always bent enough to cause a noise when going straight therefore not being able to duplicate it on the lift.

comanche250 07-21-2019 04:41 PM

Thanks for the help.

tinmaner 07-22-2019 09:08 AM

Basically they said the Brake shim on the left is turning along with the wheel and it is not supposed to ..

the service guy said they readjusted them and lubricated them but i am still hearing the sound. i might take it back in again but its such a pain to deal with ..

yes they are giving a loaner but its not the same as driving your own vehicle :-/

the main reason i went with a new Rdx instead of a preowned BMX x3 (they are at exact price point x3 is 2018 at 7k miles) is to avoid these kind of visits .. very disappointing.

Bob_Durk 07-22-2019 09:46 AM

Brake Noise Cured Itself

After sever trips to the dealer who was unable to solve the issue, after about 5,000 miles the noise finally went away.